test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 TEMPORAL LIGHT CRUISER (CONSTITUTION CLASS)

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    This talk about Superman Comics brings back old memories (not good). When we moved from New York City to Long Island in 1962, my mom realized a few months after the move that she had left behind all of her Superman comics that were stored in the apartment building's basement storage cage. They were from the late 30s and early 40s.

Don't know if they were Action or Superman or both.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • hmkchmkc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Drifting a bit off topic, aren't we?
    ltminns wrote: »
    This talk about Superman Comics brings back old memories (not good). When we moved from New York City to Long Island in 1962, my mom realized a few months after the move that she had left behind all of her Superman comics that were stored in the apartment building's basement storage cage. They were from the late 30s and early 40s.

Don't know if they were Action or Superman or both.

Sorry to hear that - Either way, that seems to have been a small fortune of Superman Comix left behind, I wonder if anyone discovered them?
    Kirk out!
    I would guess so at the time as the 'cage' was the assigned storage for the Apartment we lived in. I don't think any thought of Comics as valuable collector's stuff then like we do now. :/
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    I don't remember any money being used in TOS or the reboot movies so no money in Star Trek.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    That your memory is poor doesn't make it so ;).
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I think smokebailey has a point. You can cite "supply and demand" all you like, and I'll point out something else. It's called a speculator bubble. I think the lack of them seen in game is pretty strong evidence that people aren't using these for their intended purpose (aka playing them) but instead as some misguided attempt at an investment. In a speculator bubble, demand is artificially inflated by the idea that the price will continue to increase, hoarders and investors buy them with the intention of selling later for profit, and the market is distorted. It becomes incestuous and cannibalistic, and there inevitably comes a point where you have a bunch of sellers looking to cash in and no buyers because everyone left in the market has them to sell as well with the same idea of making money off of it. Those looking to liquidate their investment discover that they can't, the bubble bursts, and the investors are stuck with merchandise they can't move at all or that they can't sell for anywhere near what they put into it.

This has all the signs of such a bubble. The players who want this ship for it's actual intended purpose have been priced out of the market and the only people buying and selling this thing are investors / speculators who are buying with intent to sell. Speculators alone cannot form a functioning customer base, the people who would buy them to use them have dropped out of the market. Those who continue to trade them are just swapping them among themselves at ever increasing prices, and that is unsustainable. When they try to cash in, they'll find they can't. The bubble will burst, and those holding them will find they cannot move them without taking a significant loss.

Have fun with that. I'll wait for mine until the price comes down to a sane level. And I'll fly the damned thing, because it's a game piece meant to be used to play the game with. And the tears of the speculators will be delicious.

So if you and smokey is right, than wait for the bubble to burst and enjoy the tears of those comicbook guys. So how about we all wait and see who is right...the people who have the numbers and know how economics works...or you and smokey who feel that it is being manipulated into a bubble...with your only proof being that a rare ship is rare and projecting your own desire for this ugly ship onto EVERYONE. Newsflash...not everyone wants this ship. Hell I will go out on a limb and say that most of this playerbase does not. A lot of players aren't even star trek fans...and of those, most of us don't rank ToS as our favorite. Yes, there is desire for this ship...and the desire far outweights the supply...but the market is also small and rarefied...that means high prices(think lambos). And the cost to "produce" of these ships is in the couple BILLION EC range...and what would you consider reasonable price for one? 500 mil? 750 mil? Would you like to never see another ToS connie for sale? Cuz that is what is gonna happen if you get your "reasonable" price.

I explained in a subsequent post -exactly- how a speculator bubble works and why it's inevitably doomed to crash. I also explained in why I feel the current situation with the TOS Connie is such a bubble. You can agree or disagree as you choose, and you're right we will see soon enough. The price will crash, or it won't. I'll get the ship at what I consider a reasonable price, or I'll continue to use the perfectly acceptable T6 Fleet ship I fly now. I stand to lose nothing either way. We will see what happens.

But as I've said before, I have direct experience with market bubbles. I learned first hand how they work. I see the same forces at play here that lead me to believe that this is such a situation. It's entirely possible I'm wrong, and it only appears to be similar. I highly doubt that's the case, but we will see.​​
    Well, considering that the promo is over and that the opportunity to create more supply (promo R&D boxes) has ended, we are now stuck with only existing Promo R&D boxes and whatever ships exist. As people buy ships to actually own, the price will only go up. At least it will until another promo comes around. And depending on the manner in which the next promo is implemented, we may see a nice price drop like the old days. But if the "Infinity Promo" is the new thing, then we can expect a repeat of what we saw this time around.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I don't remember any money being used in TOS or the reboot movies so no money in Star Trek.

I bet you 25 quatloos that if you think hard enough you can remember money being used in a TOS episode.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

It's literally a few posts up. Also Star Trek has never been rebooted.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User

I bet you 25 quatloos that if you think hard enough you can remember money being used in a TOS episode.

;)

Quatloos was from a different race on a planet the masters of Tryscalean or something.

The credits must be a reference to their basic energy allowance for the replicators.

Sad to learn that even a Utopian society needs cash. I stand corrected.

Loving my TOS Connie Thou! Worth every Quatloo!
    With all these unstable currencies, now is the time to invest in gold and silver. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    It's also completely plausible that all of you are confusing "The Federation" with "Earth." I remember Picard stating something to the effect of "on my world, there is no money or greed." So Earth is in an idyllic existence in which (allegedly) there is no money, suffering, etc but this may not be the case throughout the Federation. Different planets are still allowed to have a great degree of independence in making up most of their laws. So in the Federation there could be money on some worlds and none on others while the "Federation" as a whole participates in forms of intergalactic currency.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    One would be needed to have some commonality amongst the disparate planets of the Federation.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Like I've said before we have no idea how the Federation actually works or the levels to which they're allied. Are they states in a federal republic? An economic union like the EU or an analogue of the U.N.?
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

artan42 wrote: »
    Like I've said before we have no idea how the Federation actually works or the levels to which they're allied. Are they states in a federal republic? An economic union like the EU or an analogue of the U.N.?

After SRexit (SauRians Exit), pretty sure it's no longer an EU clone.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2017

;)

Oh come on. Trillixt or Denobixt something please. We're not a founding member but we're significantly more important than Belgium Sauria.​​

#TASforSTO

edited January 2017

;)

Oh come on. Trillixt or Denobixt something please. We're not a founding member but we're significantly more important than Belgium Sauria.​​

Hahahaha. I should have remembered Trill, and done it as Trexit. And then two posts later started misnaming it Triscuit!
    :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited January 2017

Assuming the term Federation of Planets is being used correctly (not always a good bet with Star Trek), you know at least that much. Each planet is a State with some self-governing authority under a Federal system which has its own defined authority. What's not defined is the rules governing the result as those can vary greatly.

The EU and UN are properly defined by the term Confederation, but to different degrees given the EU's goal is Federation with a strong central government.

One important different between the two is that in Federation neither the States nor the Federal Government may alter their relationship on their own. Hence, the US Civil War. In Confederation, one side may alter their relationship, hence Brexit.

Edit: Time for some speculation:

Given TOS episode 'The Cloud Minders' and the planet Ardana, member planets could differ greatly on some matters. Ardana basically had a very strong caste system (near slavery) and capital punishment, both at odds (totally with the first, only one exception to the latter) with Star Fleet which can be assumed to operate under Federation rules. Other examples exist, like Vulcan's trial by lethal combat.

Thus TOS was very similar to the early United States in this manner (the Bill of Rights only applied to the Federal Government, slavery was controlled at the state level, etc.).

This of course may mean little for the later shows. The US changed greatly over time increasing the authority of the Federal Government . The same may or may not have happened to the Federation. Indeed it is possible that taken far enough, the term "Federation" may only be a artifact of a past era while in reality it has transited to a new type of government.
    Post edited by drakethewhite on
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I paid through the nose for mine. but honestly i did try to open boxes to get it, the $100 i dropped on keys was a waste, the $100 i dropped on keys that I then traded/sold to buy the ship was well worth in. I will never open another box in game, but i'd buy a second and third of this ship in game happily. The ship needed to be more widely distributed, I had never complained about the drop rate of a ship in the boxes before, but this is arguably the most desired ship in the games history, This should have been something to treat and reward the customers and fans.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    They did make it to the correct scale, the scale they were ordered to use by the owners of the franchise & thus the only scale that will ever matter.

Nopeski. They made it to the size from official literature with no regard for the intent of the designer or the size it most often appears onscreen, you know, the screen, where we see the bloody ship. The only scale that matters. If you seriously prefer numbers in a book to the ships as seen on screen and discussed by the people that built them then go and petition Cryptic to change the ship sizes to match those from the DS9 technical manual...

...what's that, official literature can and does produce numbers and scales completely at odds with physical evidence?

Shut the front door!

Assuming the term Federation of Planets is being used correctly (not always a good bet with Star Trek), you know at least that much. Each planet is a State with some self-governing authority under a Federal system which has its own defined authority. What's not defined is the rules governing the result as those can vary greatly.

The EU and UN are properly defined by the term Confederation, but to different degrees given the EU's goal is Federation with a strong central government.

One important different between the two is that in Federation neither the States nor the Federal Government may alter their relationship on their own. Hence, the US Civil War. In Confederation, one side may alter their relationship, hence Brexit.

That's still only speculation and relies on two things, the first is (as you said) assuming the word 'Federation' is used as it is now but also that the different facets of the Federation we've seen can be made coherent due to the different writers and the different directions they've taken the UFP in.

#TASforSTO

That's still only speculation and relies on two things, the first is (as you said) assuming the word 'Federation' is used as it is now but also that the different facets of the Federation we've seen can be made coherent due to the different writers and the different directions they've taken the UFP in.

I think I already covered that in an edit to my post, but basically says all bets are off for the shows made decades later.

But I think it's clear that the original TOS was a Federation and operated as one although we know few of the rules it operated under. To be honest, I'd doubt later writers and show runners even knew what the term "Federation' meant. All those shows were rather disconnected from reality IMO.

I think I already covered that in an edit to my post, but basically says all bets are off for the shows made decades later.

But I think it's clear that the original TOS was a Federation and operated as one although we know few of the rules it operated under. To be honest, I'd doubt later writers and show runners even knew what the term "Federation' meant. All those shows were rather disconnected from reality IMO.

I hadn't seen your edit when I replied, but yes, the disparity between, for example, Earth and Vulcan seems to be wide for a federation. But I also think it's too great. The modern US as well as Russia and Germany are also Federal and I can't envisage a situation whereby mortal combat would be allowed in one New York but not in Georgia. Or where a caste system can exist in North Dakota but not in Florida.
    That's why it works better as an analogue to the UN where modern countries and medieval ones can (more or less) co-exist under some sort of overseeing organisation.​​

#TASforSTO

edited January 2017

I hadn't seen your edit when I replied, but yes, the disparity between, for example, Earth and Vulcan seems to be wide for a federation. But I also think it's too great. The modern US as well as Russia and Germany are also Federal and I can't envisage a situation whereby mortal combat would be allowed in one New York but not in Georgia. Or where a caste system can exist in North Dakota but not in Florida.
    That's why it works better as an analogue to the UN where modern countries and medieval ones can (more or less) co-exist under some sort of overseeing organisation.​​

You're hung up on your image of 'today', and that's a mistake. Modern Federations represent just one subtype, one IMO near the end of its lifespan in the case of the US.

Such huge differences existed between many of the States early in US History. Free or Slave, and yes even lethal dueling (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel#Colonial_North_America_and_United_States) was outlawed by the individual States on their own at differing times, not once by Federal Government which would have required an amendment (as was done with slavery, such was attempted with dueling but failed).

In fact Federation and Confederation are governments intended by nature to contain very significant difference between states (or planets). They are a method to combine resources and goals between disparate and even semi-hostile member states. Huge differences are not an argument against Federation, it's an argument for.

Edit: Links that may help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_state
    Post edited by drakethewhite on

You're hung up on your image of 'today', and that's a mistake. Modern Federations represent just one subtype, one IMO near the end of its lifespan in the case of the US.

Such huge differences existed between many of the States early in US History. Free or Slave, and yes even lethal dueling (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel#Colonial_North_America_and_United_States) was outlawed by the individual States on their own at differing times, not once by Federal Government which would have required an amendment (as was done with slavery, such was attempted with dueling but failed).

In fact Federation and Confederation are governments intended by nature to contain very significant difference between states (or planets). They are a method to combine resources and goals between disparate and even semi-hostile member states. Huge differences are not an argument against Federation, it's an argument for.

Edit: Links that may help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_state

I think you're getting too hung up on definitions. Clearly these definitions have changed. The US is still a Federal Republic despite the increasing amount power of central government. However the current state of the matter is that such large disparities do not exist, meaning a Federation by definition no longer supports such large disparities.

#TASforSTO