test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 247: New Year Newbie!

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 247: New Year Newbie! has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
It's a new year and with it brings a new episode with a new member of crew. This week we debate the status of Star Trek Online on PC and Console as well as going through all the recent new and events from Star Trek Online (Console news: 2:13:24), Star Trek Timelines (2:27:04), Star Trek News (2:32:41), Listener Feedback (2:48:58) and more!
Tribbles247.png

Comments

• alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Good morning, tribbles.

Let's see what I got...

Community questions:

1.) I have to admit that I am unsure what to think. I mean, it's always great to get another trek actor into the game. And people like... what's her name... Kim Rhodes (?) (also known as Ensign Lyndsey Ballard/Jhet'leya) prove that you don't need the "big names" to make a splash.
    But at the same time players seemed to react really positively to her performance, so much so that there were interviews saying that Cryptic was thinking about possibly bringing her back for another episode. Too bad that the storyline seems to be locked in YEARS in advance. So maybe 5 years down the line, when everybody already forgot about her, she'll be back...
    And that's why I'm cautious about this announcement. Whether it's a great addition or not, it might take years and years and years to bring him back, if ever.

2.) Do you really want sun to do an encore? I mean, I wouldn't mind that because I really appreciated her willingness to go the extra mile.

3.) I don't really have any new year's hopes/resolutions. Let's just see what happens and hope we get through another year without blowing ourselves up. *shrug*

"Console versus PC":
    Okay, we don't have access to the metrics *wink wink nudge nudge*, so we have no way of knowing whether the console launch was a "success". And no, MidNite, those job openings do not mean that the team is growing. It could very well mean that they needed to replace someone who... switched over to Neverwinter or Champions Online (as if...) or that secret project DanStahl is/was supposed to be working on or left the company. I mean, just look at the season 12 livestream announcement. The lead artist is supposed to be on, but to my surprise his name is NOT Samuel Wall...
    (Btw. the graphic claims that Jaddua Ross is the lead designer. I thought Al "CaptainGeko" Rivera was the lead designer, so... did I miss something or did the announcement leave out a word? Like... lead content designer? Lead systems designer? Lead something designer?)

I don't know how your company is operating, but game developers tend to be rather... fluid when it comes to their employees.
    That is an open secret and a few devs even mentioned it in a couple of interviews. You stay at a company/on a certain project for a few years and then you move to another project/company.
    So unless one of the devs comes out saying that the team has grown to at least (at least!) 60-ish people, the team is not growing.

"Too much to do":
    Okay, let's talk about "too much to do". There is no such thing as "too much to do" in an MMO. I'm not saying that your feeling/complaint has no merit at all, but you should try a different angle.
    What do I mean by that? Let's look back at World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. Blizzard gave us a boatload of daily quests to do and removed the limit. So you could do as many dailies as you wanted. And some people did. And yelled at Blizzard because it was "too much to do". Now the easy response is... don't do as many dailies. Pick and choose. Prioritize.

But there was merit to the complaints. See, people felt like doing ALL those dailies was "necessary/mandatory" to get the reputation rewards (items and/or recipes for their respective professions) to do raids and heroic dungeons.
    So whenever you claim that there is "too much to do", please take a second and think about WHY you feel that way. Maybe you got a valid point. Or maybe you just can't prioritize. *shrug*

"Season 12: Reckoning":
    So season 12 launches january 26th. We're gonna get the next featured episode and the anniversary event and the Tzenkethi and one of the promo shots (at least on massivelyop) shows an NX-class "refit".
    [deadpan] I'm so excited and I just can't hide it. [/deadpan]

Btw. "Reckoning"... you know, I would have liked to believe that Cryptic did mean the whole "there will be exploration" thing, but all this talk about how to fight the Tzenkethi and the fact that season 12 will be called "Reckoning"... they did it again, didn't they? One episode of slightly exploratory stuff and then it's back to the same mindless "shoot'n'loot". The exact same thing they did when they said: "Season 11: New Dawn will be about going back to being explorers and diplomats." THE EXACT SAME THING!

I'm so excited and I just can't be bothered to keep writing. *drops mic*