test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are upgrade weekends discontinued by cryptic?

xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
I have not seen an upgrade weekend for a long time . I have a bunch of upgrades I wanted to use but it seem like a waste to use them with out the special weekend, There is nothing on the in game calendar as well.

Have I just some how missed one over the holidays?

I may just do it any ways as I seem to need the power boost now. Time to get everything to " Epic quality"

Not that it really matters Cryptic has made it so NPC's are of equal or more power to most pc build have instant death rays you have to avoid and 100% shield pen or other ways to make most builds irrelevant. there is too much difficulty and "challenge" for my liking lately,

Maybe I been playing to long I remember time where i got my ship up to the point where i didn't have to worry about anything when the Borg were the top of the food chain and they could barely dent my shield I could just go around blowing things up.

Now that is what I personally considered was fun and gave a sense of immersion for me,.

In the 2 episodes especially I have died so many times I feel i was flying a newbie ship will all common parts and it totally killed any emotional investment I had in the story. I enjoyed the story arc it just lost somthing for me.

Are you waiting or do you just use them whenever?

It would be cool if someone from cryptic could at least update on if they are still in some sort of rotation or if they have in fact been killed even if you not allowed to say when the next one will be.

Post edited by xblazex#7666 on

Comments

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    That may be due to the fact the recent Phoenix Box allowed you to have quite some nice upgrades that cost nothing.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,538 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    There were several of them last year, I think there were 2 after AoY launched, one where I upgraded gear and another where I mostly upgraded kit frames and modules after the kits revamp.
  • Options
    stoodoggstoodogg Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    There was one about a month ago.
    I spent a fair bit of dil on it!
    Panel member, Tribbles In Ecstasy
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Yes you missed it in December. They will do one again sometime during the anniversary event. In both the last 2 years it was late enough into the event that you could have a good amount of omegas so hopefully it will be the same this year.

In general there are A LOT less events recently than before. I feel the reason for this is more likely down to laziness and or no one assigned to manage it rather than some new strategy by Cryptic.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The last upgrade weekend was Nov 24-28th, it wasn't that long ago.

More then likely, the next one will be sometime in early to mid February if last year is any indication. Probably during 7th Anniversary Event.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Erm, wasn't this last weekend one of these?

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10342303-research-and-development-weekend!

Edit: Ok, that's funny. I blew a ton of upgrades this weekend thinking the two events were the same thing. Ah well. I'll just have to enjoy the results now, and do more upgrading later.
  • Options
    ^ a painful lesson, but at least you did learn from it :)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    FFS, ppl, we just had the Phoenix boxes! That was like the greatest Upgrade 'weekend' ever! They're usually spaced ca. 2 months apart!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    They had a double R&D upgrade event in October then the Phoenix event in December. Cryptic has been good to us!
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    nikeix wrote: »

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10342303-research-and-development-weekend!

Edit: Ok, that's funny. I blew a ton of upgrades this weekend thinking the two events were the same thing. Ah well. I'll just have to enjoy the results now, and do more upgrading later.

Yeah...I did the same thing a couple R&D event ago. Felt pretty stupid for my failure to read. Welcome to the club.

Can I join too? I didn't mistake the R&D event for an Upgrade Weekend, but I *did* miss one of the latter, 2 rounds back, I think, when the R&D event and Upgrade Weekend coincided. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mkm1911#2674 mkm1911 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Don't know about pc, but xbox has one on the Feb 16th, I think
    Post edited by mkm1911#2674 on
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    ^ a painful lesson, but at least you did learn from it :)

Exactly. My mistake, but I was making progress by brute force and I've got those items slotted and am using them so ((shrug)). I'll get some epic weapons when it does come around, and I still have tons of phoenix tickets not traded in yet. Packrat mentality saved me from a worse outcome. That and I always level up stuff to XIV on all my characters before trying for ultra rare/epic. :)
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind an upgrade weekend in the near future. I'm saving up to gear up my Romulan tac. That being said, I'm not in a big hurry cause converting a couple hundred thousand dilithium across a few characters takes a bit with the 8k a day limit + 1k doff extra.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    That last Upgrade Weekend was also a combo with R&D. What we haven't had in over a year is a Lobi Store Sale. Everything else have been falling out of the sky.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Less events? How? We had 3 events simultaneously last year, Temporal Recruit, Featured Replay, & IIRC the summer event. This was all straight off of a crystalline catastrophy event right before that. Seriously the events have been so stacked up that people complained all year about "event overload", how could anyone think there has been less?

OK I guess I should have said "weekend events" including but not limited to - marks, dilithium, upgrade, experience. Good?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Less events? How? We had 3 events simultaneously last year, Temporal Recruit, Featured Replay, & IIRC the summer event. This was all straight off of a crystalline catastrophy event right before that. Seriously the events have been so stacked up that people complained all year about "event overload", how could anyone think there has been less?

OK I guess I should have said "weekend events" including but not limited to - marks, dilithium, upgrade, experience. Good?

I'd still disagree -- in 2016 it felt like we had them almost every other weekend. Of course without someone tallying them it's just my unsupported gut feeling against yours :)
  • Options
    It's only been the second half of the year - probably since Trendy has moved on. I would say before this there were let's call it 2.5 weekend events per month. Now it's much more like 1.

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Patiently waiting for the next Double Tech Point Weekend. No rush. Gives me time to gather resources... even if it is after obtaining Omega Tech Upgrades during the 2017 Anniversary Event.
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Patiently waiting for the next Double Tech Point Weekend. No rush. Gives me time to gather resources... even if it is after obtaining Omega Tech Upgrades during the 2017 Anniversary Event.

I'd prefer it that way. Double omega is double plus good!

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Same here.

Last year we had an Upgrade weekend during the Anniversary and I'm hoping they do that again.

I just blew through a bunch of Dilithium when the Phoenix Boxes brought the exchange rate down. I need a little more time to fully rebuild. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Yeah...I did the same thing a couple R&D event ago. Felt pretty stupid for my failure to read. Welcome to the club.

Can I join too? I didn't mistake the R&D event for an Upgrade Weekend, but I *did* miss one of the latter, 2 rounds back, I think, when the R&D event and Upgrade Weekend coincided. :)

Only if you missed it because you read it wrong and felt really stupid afterwards for it...and didn't blame cryptic for your failure to read of course.

Yep, on all counts. :) Felt especially stupid, as I had been waiting for an Upgrade Weekend. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    Thanks for all the responses ... I guess ill just have to be more vigilant in watching the calendar. I read some where there is yet another... new...rep... to....grind.... coming soon maybe to maybe tat will have better stuffs anyway,
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

Did the same., too. Not a problem, though, as I still had enough of the Phoenix upgrades to get 1.5 characters up to Mk14 gear.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif