test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crafting revamp?

I have not listened to it yet because I'm at work but I guess the latest Priority One Podcast is saying that crafting is being looked at for a revamp. So my question is what do we want from crafting what does it mean to us.

In other MMOs that I played, crafting was something I mainly did for vanity. I would make a cool outfit and or weapons for my character in an attempt to look different from other characters. I think part of a new STO crafting system should allow us to take on crafting projects that unlock new options in the tailor as well as items that have a visible effect on the way our ships look. It's fun to stand out in the crowd and having some cool item, ship or outfit that took some effort to create and is not being worn by every other person can be fun if done right.
Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)

Comments

• Options
    ketwolski#6374 ketwolski Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Crafting is just fine as it is. Hopefully nobody is **** around with it for no reason.

Agreed. I dont see why they think crafting needs to be revamped again.

I just found this in the news archive...it hasnt been that long since crafting was revamped. Other portions of the game should be tweaked first, IMO.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/5007693
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    There are a few missing bits, for example:
    - melee ground weapons.
    - if they won't ever add omni beams for most of the existing lock box weapon types then they should let us craft them.

People would like to be able to get rid of the RNG for choosing mods, but they want it for free and that is not going to happen. Being able to pick your mods by spending dil and/or extra mats would be nice though. Pay a high cost to craft just 1 great weapon instead of crafting and throwing away 100 weaker ones before the RNG hands it to you.
  • Options
    zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    Doubt there will be another crafting revamp, for quite some time. Looks like Kits and Kit Frames are a work in progress on the Tribble test server however. We'll see in future dev blogs and Tribble test server updates though. :)
  • Options
    ketwolski#6374 ketwolski Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    GECKO said on the last P1 podcast that crafting would be getting a new school(one for kits) and he talked about being able to chose your own modifiers at some point in the future.

That's what was getting changed/added.

Well thats good to hear then...sounds more like an update then total 'revamp' like a few years back.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    How about we limit the use of the words crafting revamp together with star trek online to the 1st of April?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I am beyond unconcerned about the rng mods, I only craft gear at mk ii, so not losing anything but common mats & components for "bricks" & I get r&d xp & vendor the brick.
    Everyone does that...

Which is actually the biggest issue with crafting. It's almost as if one guy developed crafting, another one gear upgrades, and they weren't ever allowed to talk to each other.

One way to make crafting make more sense would be to add some pre-applied rarity % to crafted items proportionally to their mark. MKII gets nothing, MKIV-X get increasing amounts, and MKXII gets quite a bit (to compensate the extra dil cost.)

• Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    If mod re-rolling comes (and theres a distinct possibility) it will likely be part of the upgrade system NOT crafting. Probably for a dilithium fee you can re-roll any one mod. If i know cryptic it will cost enough that crafting RNG will still be superior cost-wise but rare/expensive weapons like Lockbox and Reputation it will be worth using on.
  • Options
    nebfab wrote: »
    I am beyond unconcerned about the rng mods, I only craft gear at mk ii, so not losing anything but common mats & components for "bricks" & I get r&d xp & vendor the brick.
    Everyone does that...

Which is actually the biggest issue with crafting. It's almost as if one guy developed crafting, another one gear upgrades, and they weren't ever allowed to talk to each other.

One way to make crafting make more sense would be to add some pre-applied rarity % to crafted items proportionally to their mark. MKII gets nothing, MKIV-X get increasing amounts, and MKXII gets quite a bit (to compensate the extra dil cost.)

It's meant to work the exact opposite of that. The higher the mk, the more difficult to increase the rarity.

Yes. Making everything not mkII only good for taking up UI space...
  • Options
    Everyone does that...

It's meant to work the exact opposite of that. The higher the mk, the more difficult to increase the rarity.

Yes. Making everything not mkII only good for taking up UI space...

mk3-11 is just tutorial stuff anyway.
    More or less.
    So why we can craft them in the first place? "Lulz u n00b, gratz on wasting ur mats?"

Without upgrades, the whole system with higher MK being more expensive makes sense. Without crafting, green and blue upgrades make sense. Put together there's way too many options that are there but are pretty much useless.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'd like to see a swap-a-buff for stuff. Don't like that [Acc]? Do a 'tinker' (or whatever you want to call it) and it gets changed to something else. I'd prefer to PICK what it turns into, but I know that has 0% chance of happening in the RNG-heavy STO, so I'd live with a random buff re-roll. Hell, you could also 'tinker' a weapon's color or audio.

Just think... you have those epic AP's with [Dmg]x4 that you sunk tons of upgrades or EC into and Cryptic nerfs the hell out of Dmg. Instead of cursing Cryptic you can now 'tinker' with your weapons to get the new OP buff (while still cursing Cryptic, of course)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I'd like to see R&D become more than just a way of producing already existing items. Such as:
    -Modifying and/or combining items
    -Reverse engineering new recipes from items
    -More recipes for items not available anywhere else
    -Disassembling items into components and/or materials, prefereably including some that can't be acquired otherwise

Also the UI could use improvements like:
    -Having the outcome decided when a project completes instead of when it starts, so we could cancel accidentally started projects
    -UI mechanism for one-click crafting multi-stage items (materials > components > items)