test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help Deciding Uniform

I'm making a foundry mission where I've got someone as the CinC, and I'm wanting to give him a uniform that distinguishes him from the other Admirals. I've narrowed it down to two, and I was hoping for a little input.

o1bXuJR.pngpV2vsFf.png

My reasoning for the white shoulders is similar to how Captain's would be wearing them, and since he'd be the Commander of Starfleet it made sense.

With the red shoulders, I just reversed the colors that would normally be there. I didn't have a particular reason for this other than to make him stand out.

Honestly, I like both personally. That's why I wish for some help in this regard. Also, if someone had a suggestion of their own I would be more than willing to listen. Thanks.

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Why not a white mid section with a grey/black top? Between the two I like the red shoulders, it looks different to the uniforms worn by other admirals in the game.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    I'm making a foundry mission where I've got someone as the CinC, and I'm wanting to give him a uniform that distinguishes him from the other Admirals. I've narrowed it down to two, and I was hoping for a little input.

o1bXuJR.pngpV2vsFf.png

My reasoning for the white shoulders is similar to how Captain's would be wearing them, and since he'd be the Commander of Starfleet it made sense.

With the red shoulders, I just reversed the colors that would normally be there. I didn't have a particular reason for this other than to make him stand out.

Honestly, I like both personally. That's why I wish for some help in this regard. Also, if someone had a suggestion of their own I would be more than willing to listen. Thanks.

I actually like the white shoulder look for the CinC. Of course you might want to fiddle with various designs to find out which you like best.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I actually like the white shoulder look for the CinC. Of course you might want to fiddle with various designs to find out which you like best.

I personally wouldn't be able to distinguish the white shoulders from an STO canon uniform, without going back to the former. That'd be great if the OP wanted to blend their character in, but in wanting to stand out the second uniform is technically better suited (I think.) I prefer the first, but second seems to be the "right" choice.

Suggestions for further experimentation: grey and tan are not used a whole lot in current FED STO uniform color schemes. You could see how those play as either shoulder, body, or striping.

Here, for example, is my Starfleet Security Uniform. (formal but slightly rebellious Captain)

C1Rgi99WEAEvzSC.jpg

And my Alliance Exploration Initiative uniform (standard, high ranks would just use different upper)

Co22B57UIAA4Js4.jpg

Neither exactly sticks to Star Trek uniform conventions, but by keeping it subtle you can do a lot with unusual color combos. :)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Try using the Oddy command dress uniform for the C in C look
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
      edited January 2017
      What if you went with the Admiral's Uniform from the Uniform Code, but made some small colour alterations, like so:

CnC_zpskz9wid1m.jpg

*edit* I posted this without actually consulting the Uniform Code, and my old brain has apparently forgotten things. For reference, the STO Code for Flag Ranks can be found here:

Starfleet Uniform Code Page 8

In addition to the colour change for the center chest stripe from red to a more of a white/silver, I also exchanged the Tac/Cmd combadge for the Lifer Combadge, so the changes were not just a matter of colour. I didn't make the belt as colourful, but I think it works as a whole. Of course, you could always gild the laurels (or anything else).

BTW, under the STO Uniform Code, your first option is a Captain's uniform, and the second choice is close to an enlisted uniform, other than the pips. I'm not sure that enough people pay attention to such things that it matters, though.

Post edited by theyredeadjim on
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      I would use the veteran uniform (the one Tuvok was wearing) for the Commander Starfleet. It's a currently abandoned uniform that dosn't fit with the Jupiter or Sierra uniforms but does fit very well with the Oddy scheme.
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • gostlykyle#2218 gostlykyle Member Posts: 13 Arc User
      edited January 2017
      thay8472 wrote: »
      Why not a white mid section with a grey/black top? Between the two I like the red shoulders, it looks different to the uniforms worn by other admirals in the game.

If one were to go with white for the bulk of the uniform and black for the collar would you keep the departmental color Command Red?
      Suggestions for further experimentation: grey and tan are not used a whole lot in current FED STO uniform color schemes. You could see how those play as either shoulder, body, or striping.

You're uniforms there make me think of a combination of the Excursion and Duty uniforms. The tan suggestion soft of gives me an idea here. Tan makes me think of the Excursion uniform, and since this is going to be a what-if type of mission where Starfleet's been in a war I think combining the two uniforms comes to mind. Instead of having the bulk of the uniform be black, you have the lighter tan.

It would also have a purpose of distinguishing what is different. Maybe not necessarily for the player, but their character and that of their BOFFs. While I want this mission to focus some on combat, I like the small details and characters shine through especially since one of the things I like about Trek are the what-ifs.
      Try using the Oddy command dress uniform for the C in C look

For this mission, I wouldn't consider that except if I had a scene in there that those would even be necessary. Because it's more of a what-if type of mission where the Federation is at war. Dress uniforms have a habit of being uncomfortable, compared to say normal everyday uniform, so I look at it from a personal perspective. If I was having make decisions that would affect m/b/trillions of lives would I really want to be doing it in an uncomfortable uniform. Actually, I'd be doing it in civilian clothing but as CinC you'd at least need to look the part.

With it being a war, it tinkered around with the idea of making an Admiral's variant of the Oddy Tac/Excursion uniform. Unfortunately, I squashed that for one simple reason. I see those uniforms as being more out in the field type of uniforms, and in those situations you wouldn't want your command officers standing out as that would essentially put a target on you. I do have a scene planned where he'll be in the Excursion uniform, but it'll be standard.

In regards to the Excursion as well, I'll be doing a neutral departmental color (most likely black). Essentially the same reason as above. If your enemy wanted to specifically eliminate your medical personnel and they can that blue stripe, you might as well kiss them goodbye, lol.
      BTW, under the STO Uniform Code, your first option is a Captain's uniform, and the second choice is close to an enlisted uniform, other than the pips. I'm not sure that enough people pay attention to such things that it matters, though.

To be fair it's listed as the "Commanding Officer" uniform. Also if you think about it, there's only three difference I see between an officer's uniform and that of a flag officer. 1) Long Jacket for the brass, 2) Officers have a greyish color while Admirals have Black, 3) The piping around the departmental color is a darker version of the color for officer while Admirals have silver/gold respectively.

So there's a reason why the first looks like the CO uniform, because that was my original idea before I looked at other options. Being the Commanding Officer of Starfleet it would stand to reason you have the white shoulders with the gold piping still present.

As to the other uniform, I really didn't think about the enlisted uniforms. I just believed that the Command Red should be more prominent on the uniform.

Edit:
      artan42 wrote: »
      I would use the veteran uniform (the one Tuvok was wearing) for the Commander Starfleet. It's a currently abandoned uniform that dosn't fit with the Jupiter or Sierra uniforms but does fit very well with the Oddy scheme.

The only other uniform I've ever seen him in is the Command Variant of the Voyager uniform. So I'm a little confused here. It would stand out, but it also wouldn't make sense with the Oddy uniforms.

Also, I do like the idea of having him in a white departmental.

I'd also like to apologize for this kinda long post. I was actually surprised at the number of people that had suggestions/ideas/comment. Honestly I didn't expect anyone to reply, and I wanted to make sure I gave my reply to each. So thanks guys. :)
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      The only other uniform I've ever seen him in is the Command Variant of the Voyager uniform. So I'm a little confused here. It would stand out, but it also wouldn't make sense with the Oddy uniforms.

It dosn't stand out, it resembles the Oddy uniforms very closely.
      31442696803_4800acea3b_o.png
      For pre-Delta Rising publicity Tuvok was wearing a version of the second one with black shoulders instead of gold.

It's an essentially orphaned uniform as it's not part of the Jupiter or Serra/Antares series (their Admiral uniforms are below)
      31442849713_1072d872c0_o.png

It's available and looks good in white and the admiralty accessories (the combadge and belt) were made for this uniform even as the Oddy uniforms use them.
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!