test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Finding a Fleet?

lowleft#8801 lowleft Member Posts: 29 Arc User
So I have been playing for over a month now and have been in a Fleet for just about that entire time. I was just randomly invited to the Fleet one day. I have donated a bunch over that time, but I have never gotten "promoted" in order to be able to buy from the Fleet store even though it states that once I have donated 50,000 Fleet Credits worth I would be promoted. I have messaged the leaders and gotten no response over a couple weeks.

Now I would like to know, how or what is the best way to find a new Fleet that I can actually benefit from? I am hoping to join a Fleet that is pretty far along in the upgrading process, but also one that I can still donate to. I am hoping to try and buy my first Fleet ship over the next week or so.

Thanks. BTW I play on the PC now.

Comments

• Options
    tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Go to the Feedback section of the forums, most of the posts there are for PC fleets. I'd correspond with someone for the fleet you might want to join and meet up with them online before making any contributions, just to see that the fleet is worth participating in.

Lessoned learned for accepting a random invitation.
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2017
    Outdate info
    Post edited by comrademoco on
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    mrphister#9925 mrphister Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Join the TSC channel ask for Junior and he'll give you free access to his Fleet Stores (fully updated/maxed out fleet)

/Channel_Join The Science Channel

Is there anything like this on ps4? been in a fleet for a bit now & no matter how fast i click or when projects are announced i click a project it's always @ 100% already.
  • Options
    tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Also wanted to mention at least on PC there is a tab on the mini map, marked social and you can search for a fleet by name there. You may find that small fleets have the advantage of being able to donate to projects, good source of fleet marks, while large fleets/armada are more social. However if your being ignored I'd say it's time to leave.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Unfortunately, OP, what you have experienced is the norm for Fleets in STO. It is difficult sometimes to find a Fleet where you want to belong and people want you to play this game with them. The Fleet you're in right now? The only way they'll notice you is when you stop giving resources to projects. And the first thing your Fleet's leadership will assume is there is something wrong with you rather than with them.

Vote with your feet. Immediately. Far better off being a solo player than being in a Fleet which does not notice you or care about you unless you're their primary source of dilithium for Fleet Projects. Keep looking and asking questions about Fleets you are interested in. It is what I did. I eventually found the Fleet I am in now. Where I am pretty happy overall. Are there things about my Fleet I'd like to change? Yes. Can I change them? Yes. But it is going to take time. Lots of it. I'd like to think I can change some things overnight, however this is seldom the case in any organization which is infested by Humans. To nudge a group of Humans into doing something you want them to do takes patience and effort. Both of these are in very short supply in the 21st Century.

We play this game for entertainment and enjoyment. It is largely very fun to play. Fleets were supposed to enhance this by allowing players to group with with like minded people whose company they enjoy. The social aspect of Fleets was overcome by Projects requiring player resources and by offering gear in the game which cannot be found outside of Fleets. When first introduced, Fleet gear was among the best gear in the game. It is still good gear but the Crafting revamp and other additions since Fleets were first placed into the game have superceded this. Both Fleets and Crafting require very large amounts of dilthium. But Crafting does not have the drawback of requiring someone else's permission to acquire. The system is broken. Like lots of other things in this game.

As someone who does not have a good social skills set, I probably caused as much discontent in the Fleets I left as I experienced. Always have been an outsider who prefers to walk his own path alone rather than submit myself to doing things a group wants to do. This too is why I am not really a good choice for being Invited to somebody else's Fleet. But I really wanted to play this game with other people who like both online gaming and Star Trek. So I put my head down and kept digging.

To summarize, OP. There is a Fleet out there where you are a valued member and are allowed to acquire those items you want. You need to keep looking for this Fleet. Being in a Fleet where one or both of these are missing is much much worse than being a solo player. It may take awhile to find this Fleet. But it is in this game somewhere. Unless you stop looking for it.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. I have been in contact with a new Fleet and I think I will be joining them soon.

I do have a question though, if the new Fleet is "Maxed Out" on all of the tiers, can I still donate things like Marks in order to get Fleet Credits?
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    Yes, you can. Fleet Stores require Fleet Provisions. These are projects slotted in each of the Holdings for specific items to become available.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    Cool thanks. I was worried that if they were maxed I wouldn't be able to get any more Fleet Credits to purchase things.

Hopefully I can get an invite this afternoon and join the new Fleet that has actually responded to me. I would like to have a good time with people and they have a Teamspeak channel so I can learn from the more advanced people in the Fleet. Figuring out a good weapons setup on my ship is not going the best right now.
  • Options
    tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Good luck and there are always projects to be put in the que, even if the fleet or armada is maxed or projects are temporarily full. Also don't feel bad about asking for a project (via mail) like unload surpluss fleet marks, if you don't ask you fleet leaders will never know: )