test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Obtaining Epohhs with Light Bulbs

Is this a special result in addition to a critical result when raising a lime or cherry? Or can you somehow get a "double crit"?

Comments

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    As far as I can tell, it happens when a the Research Epohh Tags assignment results in a critical for either a Lime or Cherry Epohh, giving you an Extreme Lime or Wild Cherry Pup. If that happens, it turns to an Extreme Lime or Wild Cherry Rare, the one with the Christmas lights on its antler points, at Elder. So it's just luck on that first assignment that does it.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    What if you have one go to extreme at Moppet or Adult? Guess will have to test...
    The only ones that I've had that became Rare were ones that were already Extreme/Wild at Pup.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • azeda1azeda1 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Why would you want them since they are not tradeble for marks..???
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Because you collect pets?

I do hope they fix this. I'll keep one on a couple toons anyways, but I want to contribute to the production of McEpohh Burgers, and I have piles of Wild Cherry, and Rare versions of both Wild Lime and Cherry, clogging up my inventory and halting my progress towards Rep Gear and K-13 progression.

But yeah, I do know those who actually decided to become vegan because of my McBurger allusion yet won't follow Bob Barker's advice to "please spay and neuter your epohhs."
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    What's a light bulb?
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    light bulb
    noun
    a glass bulb inserted into a lamp or a socket, that provides light by passing an electric current through a filament or a pocket of inert gas

In this context though, the rarest of this year's Epohhs have antlers decorated by light bulbs.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    bergins wrote: »
    light bulb
    noun
    a glass bulb inserted into a lamp or a socket, that provides light by passing an electric current through a filament or a pocket of inert gas

In this context though, the rarest of this year's Epohhs have antlers decorated by light bulbs.

LOL
    Because you collect pets?

I do hope they fix this. I'll keep one on a couple toons anyways, but I want to contribute to the production of McEpohh Burgers, and I have piles of Wild Cherry, and Rare versions of both Wild Lime and Cherry, clogging up my inventory and halting my progress towards Rep Gear and K-13 progression.

But yeah, I do know those who actually decided to become vegan because of my McBurger allusion yet won't follow Bob Barker's advice to "please spay and neuter your epohhs."

Haa...not collecting..Im In it for the marks...and also seriously thinking of going the veggy way ...lol
    azeda1 wrote: »
    Why would you want them since they are not tradeble for marks..???

I'm a lighting designer by trade, so aesthetics :)
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    light bulb
    noun

Aka: the thing in Uncle Fester's mouth that glows.

edited January 2017
    Was looking for the Epohh chart that shows %chances for various combinations, but can't seem to locate it. From what I understand, you can only get the antlers with bulbs once it's fully mature, but you'll know if it's going to have antlers when it becomes a pup, becomes a moppet or becomes an adult. So seems there are three chances to get the antlers (crit result) first, before you can get the Elder with antlers/lightbulbs (another crit). Seeing as each evolution is the result of one crit, it doesn't appear that you can have a double-crit as you only get one shot at it each time. So if correct, it's something like this:

1. - Turn in tags: normal Lime pup
    2. - Turn in tags (crit): Lime pup with antlers

3. - Raise Lime pup to moppet (normal)
    4. - Raise Lime pup to moppet with antlers (crit)

5. - Raise Lime moppet to adult (normal)
    6. - Raise Lime moppet to adult with antlers (crit)

7. - Raise Lime adult to elder (normal)
    8. - Raise Lime adult to elder with antlers (crit)

and once it has antlers:

9. - Raise Pup with antlers to moppet with antlers (normal/crit)
    10. - Raise moppet with antlers to adult with antlers (normal/crit)

11. - Raise adult with antlers to elder with antlers (normal)
    12. - Raise adult with antlers to elder with antlers and lightbulbs (crit)

Think the only thing I left out is the possibility of something happening on the crit rolls for numbers 9 and 10. But as there are no moppets or adults with antlers and lightbulbs, I don't know what that would be, if anything. The only crit to give lightbulbs is going from Adult to Elder.

Summary:
    A Crit roll at each level should give this:

- pup/ moppet/ adult gain antlers on crit (and nothing else if they already have them, but need to verify this)

- Elder gets the lightbulbs on crit only if it already had antlers.

But as I can't find the chart, it may be a little different from what I just posted.

Of course this may all be wrong, and the only time to get antlers could be with the pup and then the lightbulbs automatically when it becomes an elder. But that just seems too simple...

Here's the release info on this and it's too brief:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10281003-winter-event-2016-rewards

a70a1621aaf798cce7ee990c131d130e1479917047.jpg
    I'm not sure about this image, but it should go: Tags, Pup, Moppet, Adult, Elder.
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Was looking for the Epohh chart that shows %chances for various combinations, but can't seem to locate it. From what I understand, you can only get the antlers with bulbs once it's fully mature, but you'll know if it's going to have antlers when it becomes a pup, becomes a moppet or becomes an adult. So seems there are three chances to get the antlers (crit result) first, before you can get the Elder with antlers/lightbulbs (another crit). Seeing as each evolution is the result of one crit, it doesn't appear that you can have a double-crit as you only get one shot at it each time. So if correct, it's something like this:

1. - Turn in tags: normal Lime pup
    2. - Turn in tags (crit): Lime pup with antlers

3. - Raise Lime pup to moppet (normal)
    4. - Raise Lime pup to moppet with antlers (crit)

5. - Raise Lime moppet to adult (normal)
    6. - Raise Lime moppet to adult with antlers (crit)

7. - Raise Lime adult to elder (normal)
    8. - Raise Lime adult to elder with antlers (crit)

and once it has antlers:

9. - Raise Pup with antlers to moppet with antlers (normal/crit)
    10. - Raise moppet with antlers to adult with antlers (normal/crit)

11. - Raise adult with antlers to elder with antlers (normal)
    12. - Raise adult with antlers to elder with antlers and lightbulbs (crit)

Think the only thing I left out is the possibility of something happening on the crit rolls for numbers 9 and 10. But as there are no moppets or adults with antlers and lightbulbs, I don't know what that would be, if anything. The only crit to give lightbulbs is going from Adult to Elder.

Summary:
    A Crit roll at each level should give this:

- pup/ moppet/ adult gain antlers on crit (and nothing else if they already have them, but need to verify this)

- Elder gets the lightbulbs on crit only if it already had antlers.

But as I can't find the chart, it may be a little different from what I just posted.

Of course this may all be wrong, and the only time to get antlers could be with the pup and then the lightbulbs automatically when it becomes an elder. But that just seems too simple...

Here's the release info on this and it's too brief:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10281003-winter-event-2016-rewards

a70a1621aaf798cce7ee990c131d130e1479917047.jpg
    I'm not sure about this image, but it should go: Tags, Pup, Moppet, Adult, Elder.

Once the thing has crit, there is no crit chance for it again, just like the other epohhs. Every Elder Rare that I've gotten has been from one that crit immediately at the Research Tags assignment. If they crit at any later stage, they will just have antlers at Elder.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    light bulb
    noun

You do understand why they don't send donkeys to school, right? :)
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    While you're at QWW, if you jump up on the table in the center of the rotunda, and then summon your epohh, it will appear on top of your head or on your shoulder, depending on your toon. If you then jump down off the table, you will see your epohh running in space for a while. It's cheap entertainment, I know, but hey...
    anodynes wrote: »

Once the thing has crit, there is no crit chance for it again, just like the other epohhs. Every Elder Rare that I've gotten has been from one that crit immediately at the Research Tags assignment. If they crit at any later stage, they will just have antlers at Elder.

then there you go.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I'm not a donkey.

At my house all i have are skylights and when the clouds roll in its time to go to bed. :p
    Ok. Finally got a single Cherry epohh to crit on the initial tag research, just got it all the way to Elder.

No bulbs.

Look's like it's some extra level of RNG garbage beyond just the crit result. Since they can't even be redeemed, going to just discard/disintegrate them. Found this rather annoying
    I'd still say under oath that it's from it going critical on Research Tags. My 5 observations and no evidence to the contrary (that I actually observed) tells me this.

I wouldn't toss the nonredeemables until at least Thursday, since they could still fix it and possibly extend the event or keep turn-ins available at DS9. I'll hold onto mine at least until then.
    Then if that's how it works, is my epohh bugged or glitched? Did yours say -Rare after the initial research crit? Or only when it got to Elder?
    I'd still say under oath that it's from it going critical on Research Tags. My 5 observations and no evidence to the contrary (that I actually observed) tells me this.

I wouldn't toss the nonredeemables until at least Thursday, since they could still fix it and possibly extend the event or keep turn-ins available at DS9. I'll hold onto mine at least until then.

the turn in for winter epohhs either works for you or it doesn't. hasn't worked right at least since last year.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    nathrael wrote: »
    Ok. Finally got a single Cherry epohh to crit on the initial tag research, just got it all the way to Elder.

No bulbs.

Look's like it's some extra level of RNG garbage beyond just the crit result. Since they can't even be redeemed, going to just discard/disintegrate them. Found this rather annoying

So it would seem that when it comes to DOff missions, (which the Epooh missions are, in a sense), a "Crit" simply pulls from a subsection of a database/spreadsheet for results. RNG rolls "x" you get "x" off of database:

Database has say, 100 entries for a particular mission
    0-40 = failure: NO reward or reduced reward entries (whatever it may be)
    41-85 = success. Draw results from entries 41-85 from Db/Spreadsheet (yes, I'm being non-technical and also results can be duplicated for the sake of uniformity)
    86-100 = Crit - Crit rewards. HOWEVER the possible rewards within this range can be in some ways, considered a "Double Crit" or "Critical Crit" as the results are preferable. E.g. Entries 86-97 = Epooh with antlers, 98-100 = Epohh with antlers and lights.

Lets use the "Reclaim Borg Drones" doff mission as an example. On Crit, you can get a Green or Blue Liberated Borg Doff. It's only harder to get a Blue Doff (preferable) as there are simply less possible "slots" in the crit range. (81-95 = Green Doff, 96-100 = Blue Doff). This would also explain why some Engineering DOff missions arent paying out ANYTHING on Crit: The entries are borked or missing.

TL:DR,In my opinion there's not so much extra RNG garbage, but rather s smaller chance of getting the preferred result within the crit range.
    T93uSC8.jpg
    yep. which is what I saw on that chart I mentioned and then tried to recreate. If he got an Elder with antlers and no bulbs, I find myself leaning towards my earlier post.

I also find myself in disagreement with this post, since as @welcome2earf has mentioned, they are essentially Doff missions. Every time you run a doff mission there is both a chance for success and critical success. And the Winter Epohhs give you four chances and four separate doff missions before you're done with that epohh.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Not every doff mission has necessarily all of the four (plus, in case suboutcomes exist) possible outcomes. There are quite a few with the four headed "Crit; Success; Failure; Disaster" outcome, some only have "Crit", "Success", and "Failure", some only "Crit" and "Success", and some only "Success" and "Failure". Some show two different possible outcomes but you will get the same result either way.

Notice how even auto assigning doffs to an epohh growing mission will put the least useful doffs into the slots instead of the purple experts, since the outcome is guaranteed no matter who runs the mission.

This does not mean that there can't be different "normal success" rolls as in the different "crit success" rolls speculated about above, but then their odds are hidden.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries