test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Event Tips and Tricks 2016!

Comments

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I would even be on board with the notion of making a skating race, although I am not sure how well it would work, but it would be fun to try at least.

But again, the "you can have your old difficulty if you refrain from using the equipment" somehow feels like toning down the difficulty of queues only to say "if you want it more difficult, you can play it in a T1 instead". Or, to keep the same perspective, introduce an item you can use during queues to make it easier for players struggling. By not using skates in such a race you would be nerfing yourself, you wouldn't get a challenge from the game but make one yourself. Which also can be fun, but which I don't think is how the system as such should work.

I can see part of where you're coming from, there are parts of content I struggle with. But so be it, maybe I won't beat every bit of content and then would have to settle, if I absolutely cannot do something, or am not willing to put in the effort to do so (like restarting the race until the no-enemy bug appears in this case), with the fact that I won't get the shiny.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Could you guys please take the discussion somewhere else? We're getting way off topic and it might confuse people looking for tips.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited December 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Could you guys please take the discussion somewhere else? We're getting way off topic and it might confuse people looking for tips.

Is there a possibility to get the thread cut by some kind of mod? Would be helpful.

Just short:
    I don't get this at all. Do you similarly rail against the existence of Easy difficulty, or Normal queues? How does it affect you at all if an easier mode exists that you're not required to use? Examples of selectable difficulty exist throughout the game and throughout gaming in general, as it is in the interest of game companies to cater to players (read: customers) of a wide variety of skill level. Alienating all but the most skilled is a recipe for bankruptcy.​​

(a) I don't think I "rail against", I am stating my opinion why I don't like it

(b) Different difficulties in other instances give different rewards, so there is an incentive apart from self nerf to go for the higer difficulty. I already stated how that affects me and my enjoyment of the game.

(c) I very much believe you are severely overestimating the amount of players having problems with the race. If it were to affect "all but the most skilled", the outrage in game or in the forums would be way more noticeable. I am pretty certain that the majority of players has no problems at all completing the race. I am most certainly not one of the "most skilled" players here, and yet I don't complain about content I am struggling with too much, but skip it, even if it means missing out on stuff.

Unless this gets cut from the main thread, I am off though - at least with this topic. If I can contribute on topic, I will.
    Cut? Never seen that before. I've seen threads merged, but never split. So... best to either start a separate thread or take it into Private Message realm.

For everyone else:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1225485/winter-event-tips-and-tricks-2016/p1
    Link to page 1 of the thread with some helpful tips.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    've seen posts split off from topics on the NWO forums and moved to their own thread, so it's certainly possible, assuming our set of mods know how to do it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    On a totally unrelated matter, I spent some time watching people do the race, and while many did run just as I did - as far as you can tell from just watching -, I think I noticed quite a few did not use the "go sideways" option. I don't know which keys they're on, since I long mapped them to A and D, putting the turn keys on Q and E, but I think it helps a lot going sideways (already before reaching a turn) and turning not with the keys but with the mouse.
  • aurethilaurethil Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I use arrows to move and I have "run" in 0 num pad. Other than that, it's all about running in straight lines and jumping before turning. But not just jumping, you jump and stop pressing anything else so you stop completely, then continue running in straight lines. Repeat. I tried rolling but it takes more time.
    It's the first time I play this event, and after the many failed tries I was gonna quit, until I saw a map somewhere with straight lines marked... that was it, I tried it and it works. Once you learn the trick, you won't fail again. Ignore the curves, see the straight lines between them and run.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well you can also learn drifting. That way you can slide sideway around corners instead of stopping.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Well you can also learn drifting. That way you can slide sideway around corners instead of stopping.
    You know, I'm sort of doing that now, but the closer I get to the finish, the safer it is to just tuck and roll. I hate having to run the race all over again because I misjudged a slide near the finish line.

If I do a good job on the first third of the race, I am usually so far a head of whatever is racing my officer, that I can honestly just jog to the end with no chance of getting lapped (even by that spider which seem incredibly fast for it's size).

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    edited December 2016
    Oh yeah, the Glikarma ice spider. I think it was literally born to run on ice...

But yeah, get a lead and then walk the rest.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That spider is the fastest of all. I double click 'W' and roll on tight turns all the time. The other day I varied from my normal routine when I had no opponent and went off course. I lost and had to restart. I will stick to what has consistently worked since I first started this during the 2013 Winter Event.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Can't say for sure, but I always had the impressions that the opponents are all equally fast (or slow) on the same rails. It's just that the smaller ones use quicker animations, so they may seem faster (similar to the oft-read belief that Gorn are slower than everybody else)
    nah, there IS a difference, but it's a small one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    nah, there IS a difference, but it's a small one.
    Never tell a Gorn that he is a small Gorn. :p

I know that's not what you meant, my brain just went there. :smiley:

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I faced the larger spider today. It seemed to keep me held for an extra second. It was the first time that the opponent had a jump on me.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    I faced the larger spider today. It seemed to keep me held for an extra second. It was the first time that the opponent had a jump on me.

There's a word that come to mind. Well, a sound, actually.
    SPM021.jpg

It seems, as if, you were THWIPED! ;)
  • predconpredcon Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Anyone got any tips or tricks for trading in Cherry epohhs? I mean, I just can't figure out how to trade them in at the conversion station. It's super weird, too, because I've figured out all other types of epohhs.
    All I can think of is: steal some food coloring from Neelix', paint it green and sell it as a lime. Unless it's rare, then that won't be of use, too.

Otherwise I don't think there is a way to sell them right now.
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    Just faster doing the full speed jumping at the corners and roll when needed.
    If you want to go full speed yes. Jumping is even faster on straights than running - which makes no freaking sense whatsoever and should be changed. Not the most necessary change and not only for the Winter event. It's a bit like BFAW being superior against single targets.

Anyway, for those who struggle with the race, I would only use the jump (alternatively the roll, but it has been nerfed) for stopping at corners you'll miss otherwise. Handling it for extended periods requires an amount of skill which would probably make the whole thing a cakewalk in the first place.
    MY preferred method of handling turns requires planning ahead to figure out when you need to turn in order to make the turn without stopping at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Can the even be extended a weekend? I resume school on monday and by then I would need just 40 more vouchers to get my ship!!! Extensions on these kinds of events have happened before...
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    There is a lobi store purchase for additional vouchers.

Looks like 5 lobi for 2-6 vouchers.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

There's a word that come to mind. Well, a sound, actually.
    SPM021.jpg

It seems, as if, you were THWIPED! ;)

Oh? So if he was Ferasan would he be puthy-thwipped?

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    They've only ever really extended events if there was significant/unavoidable and unexpected downtime for the game. And since we have the Anniversary Event following pretty quickly, it's doubtful that there will be any extension. As suggested, if you're going to be short, your best bet is to purchase vouchers with Lobi.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    yeah it's an account unlock, so it's def worth it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I'd like to thank everyone for another successful year helping others.

Hope to see everyone again at next year's winter event!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'd like to thank everyone for another successful year helping others.

Hope to see everyone again at next year's winter event!

Thanks again to you @rattler2
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch