test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AMD driver still not being detected

bear989usbear989us Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited December 2016 in Graphical and Sound Issues
From the patch notes 12/15/2016

*Resolved an issue where AMD drivers would not be automatically detected.

My game still gives me the same old song and dance... old drivers and all.... blah blah blah.... except it is the current driver and your detection is wrong still... :(

Gonna try to uninstalling current driver and reinstall current driver to see if that helps...

Well reinstalling newest driver did nothing to help.. also tried force verify.... no help.... deleted any configuration files I could find.. no help....

Oh well someday maybe :neutral:
Post edited by bear989us on

Comments

• doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I have my AMD drivers up to date and with this patch the game do not agree :(
    RX460, radeon crimson 16.12.1
    Qapla'
  • reverandclintreverandclint Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Likewise ... RX480 with the newest drivers (ver 16.12.1)

Full graphics software info (from the Radeon settings window):

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.1204.1136.20853
    Driver Packaging Version - 16.50.2001-161204a-309270C
    Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1583
    Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01235
    OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13464
    OpenCL™ Version - 21.19.384.0
    AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0165
    AMD Mantle API Version - 102400
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.0
    Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.4.1
    Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.30

-shrug-
  • lexxie1983lexxie1983 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Same: R9 390 Crimson 16.12.1 The drivers are screaming WE ARE NOT OLD!!!!

just giving All the info From The Radeon settings windows for good measure

Radeon Software Version - 16.12.1
    Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
    Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
    Memory Size - 8192 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Core Clock - 1015 MHz
    Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
    System Memory - 16 GB
    CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.1204.1136.20853
    Driver Packaging Version - 16.50.2001-161204a-309270C
    Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1583
    Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01235
    OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13464
    OpenCL™ Version - 21.19.384.0
    AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0165
    AMD Mantle API Version - 102400
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.0
    Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.4.1
    Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.30

Hardware info tab
    Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
    Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
    Device ID - 67B1
    Vendor ID - 1002
    SubSystem ID - 9390
    SubSystem Vendor ID - 1682
    Revision ID - 80
    Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
    Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16
    BIOS Version - 015.049.000.000
    BIOS Part Number - 113-GRENADA_PRO_C671_D5_8GB_HY_W81
    BIOS Date - 2015/06/03 04:37
    Memory Size - 8192 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Memory Clock - 1500 MHz
    Core Clock - 1015 MHz
    Total Memory Bandwidth - 384 GByte/s
    2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000
    n8eym7c.jpg

click for bigger image
  • lillysaturnlillysaturn Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Same for me.
    I actually had some success with installing a older Driver but that lasted for about a week until this update.
    My Windows 10 says your game works only on Windows 8 btw.
    Raedon 16.6
    Radeon Software Edition Crimson
    AMD Raedon R9 380 Series
    4096 MB
    GDDR5
    980Mhz
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    8GB
    AMD Athlon II X3 440 Processor.

I am open to any suggestions getting my game running again please?

I have nothing against ARC but it seems to be very much part of the problem.

• kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    My AMD card isn't being detected, either. The game is now running with the Intel HD Graphics card on my laptop. Funny thing is, it was working yesterday before the patch. I now know to always get a computer with an NVIDIA card instead of AMD.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • bear989usbear989us Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I used my power of subscription to get a prompt answer from support....

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. There is a known compatibility issue with the latest 16.9 and above Crimson drivers and our Cryptic games, where they are reporting either an out of date or incompatible hardware. Our engineers are looking into if this can be resolved on our end, but so far the only way to resolve this is to either ignore the message or roll back to a previous version of the Crimson drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows 10 - 64

Regards,
    Tek
    Senior Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment
    http://support.arcgames.com/

So I'm guessing that the statement in the update that they fixed detection is false :(
    Pretty much what I already knew... so apparently not fixed...

• spotter5spotter5 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Glad I came here first instead of updating my drivers!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    No surprise, same situation for me. But, as with a past thread about the issue, note that the message of STO telling you to update your drivers is completely meaningless. It doesn't do anything, you can just ignore it and move on and you don't have to change your drivers just because there is this message. This is not really a significant bug, although it'd be of course esthetically more pleasing to not have the warning message in the edge of the screen pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited December 2016
    bear989us wrote: »
    I used my power of subscription to get a prompt answer from support....

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. There is a known compatibility issue with the latest 16.9 and above Crimson drivers and our Cryptic games, where they are reporting either an out of date or incompatible hardware. Our engineers are looking into if this can be resolved on our end, but so far the only way to resolve this is to either ignore the message or roll back to a previous version of the Crimson drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows 10 - 64

Regards,
    Tek
    Senior Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment
    http://support.arcgames.com/

So I'm guessing that the statement in the update that they fixed detection is false :(
    Pretty much what I already knew... so apparently not fixed...

I had rolled back my drivers.
    It seems like their update undid it.
  • drakomagidrakomagi Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Same problem here, ever since the latest patch hit on the 15th. Sucks that you can't use the mouse to click the message away, and have to time your "Enter" keystroke to load the game up fully.
    @drakomagi Could you elaborate? The message doesn't do anything, you should not be affected by the game saying your drivers are outdated at all save a small white text in the main menu that however is not present in the game. Why do you have to time keystrokes?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • crazyphil487crazyphil487 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'm getting a failed system spec popup while using the latest Crimson ReLive drivers. Is that that this thread is about?
    I'm getting a failed system spec popup while using the latest Crimson ReLive drivers. Is that that this thread is about?

Partly, the other part ist the games' main menu tells you your drivers are outdated. On the pop-up you are receiving, check the box that memorizes your choice for a month and then click "use default settings" (not minimal) and it doesn't bother you again, unless cryptic hasn't ficed it in a month. Then just repeat.

There is no reason to change your drivers, the message is false.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    @angrytarg That is the pop-up box that I was referring to. I can't use my mouse to make the selection to check the box. I haven't tried going through windowed mode to see if that grants me access to check the box.
    Okay, I managed to do it while the game was in windowed mode during load up. Although, it was a bit tricky since I could not see the mouse cursor.
  • bear989usbear989us Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Yeah I have an invisible mouse cursor on that window also... timing and your power of prediction are necessary, lol.... especially for the little tick box.
    angrytarg wrote: »

Partly, the other part ist the games' main menu tells you your drivers are outdated. On the pop-up you are receiving, check the box that memorizes your choice for a month and then click "use default settings" (not minimal) and it doesn't bother you again, unless cryptic hasn't ficed it in a month. Then just repeat.

There is no reason to change your drivers, the message is false.​​

The problem is that I also get a exe. fail.
    Game dosen't bother starting. I get the login/loading screen. I get the popup about my settings and then it just vanishes. I tried the Arc Launcher. I tried the Steam Launcher and I tried the direct Launcher ( the one without middlemen.)
    Nothinh helps.

The problem is that I also get a exe. fail.
    Game dosen't bother starting. I get the login/loading screen. I get the popup about my settings and then it just vanishes. I tried the Arc Launcher. I tried the Steam Launcher and I tried the direct Launcher ( the one without middlemen.)
    Nothinh helps.

There's no reason to try ARC or Steam when the launcher fails as both just start the same launcher on their own. Using ARC or Steam comes with no benefits in regards to STO. But that's weird, I haven't heard the game crashing because of the driver bug. Did you try to validate all files?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    edited December 2016
    Yes. Steam says there are two missing files. It orders them.I get them supposedly. It starts loading and then I get this: Unable to start game client: Windows error code 0 (While attempting to format, received error code 15100.)
    I am running Win 10.
    That says the Arc Launcher is badly installed and suggests I get "a better one" or wait until the Issue is resolved.
    Compatibility check said it should run under Win 8. Didn't work either. (*I have not done a comarability check since the last patch.)
    edited December 2016
    When you start the startrekonline.exe (no ARC or Steam), click the options and set "safe mode" and "force verify" and see if this works. As a third option, do you use TeamViewer? If not you can just ignore this, but if you do close it before you start STO. Something in teamViewer is interfering with the launcher or at least it used to.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    edited December 2016
    Ok trying that.
    Edit: Not working.
  • marcoramius2marcoramius2 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I discovered when I rolled back to driver version 16.9.1, everything works fine. I believe that's a Sept. or Oct. driver version.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    AMD APU driver with a complete new Windows 10 Build and STO crashing a lot more. Than ever.. I hope you can fix the issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    Same issue here. Installed today a RX 470, used the most recent drivers and beta drivers and getting the message that the drivers are out to date. Although the game works, my assumption is that it lacks performance due to this fact. All benches and tests I have ran prior starting up this game do give me a boost of 30 to 50 fps over my previous graphical card GTX 760. Except STO.
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Reinstalled the game and now the game client is crashing. Managed to fix it by reverting to Driver 16.7.3. But this is far from a good solution, coz it's denying me performance "boost" in other games from the recent driver.
    Post edited by adorkabledori on
  • lexxie1983lexxie1983 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    [redacted]
    Post edited by lexxie1983 on
    n8eym7c.jpg

click for bigger image
  • gagocashgagocash Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    Try deleting the Gameprefs.Pref and Fxprefs.Pref located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata and delete the shader cache in C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\cache and then restart the computer.
    M.A.C.O. ELITE COMMANDER & KIRK'S PROTEGE