test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Event Tips and Tricks 2016!

Comments

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Also anybody know whether the "better" fishing gauntlets actually make a difference?

Their full description states they repulse or intimidate little fish. And it's true that after I bought the most expensive gauntlet, I only got once the smallest fish while I started getting the larger ones (including the 'Legendary' variety). However I haven't done the event enough times to really be sure, could just be luck of the draw.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Some perfect music for the Races.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzZLukc3v4

Also, some classical perfection.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqg3l3r_DRI
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Also anybody know whether the "better" fishing gauntlets actually make a difference?

Their full description states they repulse or intimidate little fish. And it's true that after I bought the most expensive gauntlet, I only got once the smallest fish while I started getting the larger ones (including the 'Legendary' variety). However I haven't done the event enough times to really be sure, could just be luck of the draw.

I got advanced gauntlets for some of my toons. They do seem to increase your chances of getting Large, Huge and Monstrous (i.e. Legendary or Epic-quality) fish.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Normally what I do, is use the drifting method, around corners. I'll run full speed, then use the less traction to my advantage, by making sharp turns, causing my character to drift around corners. Now granted, because of the less traction, you are more likely to go out of bounds, but if you have a good handle on it, which I believe I do, it's makes it more likely you'll be able to get through the race, without going out of bounds.

Yeah, I usually run at full speed and make very sharp turns when necessary. I might need to jump or roll maybe once or twice if I think I may go out of bound.

Speaking of out of bounds, I also tend to run off the path to cut a corner here and there. Also, running on snow means traction so that is another way I make turns without the need to make extreme turn to adjust my direction when running at full speed.

With the exception of the very first race for the event, I have not failed the race so far so it is an easy daily grind for me which takes less than 3 minutes. Not a technique for everyone, but it works for me.

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    I just want to say - thanks for this thread. I've been winning the races pretty consistently.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    You're welcome @ambassadorkael#6946
    This is the reason I made it in the first place. To help others. Second year I've done this, and I plan to do it for as long as I'm playing. And with luck... that will be until they turn the lights off in a few hundred years. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    Use your lobi and get it on the first day, saving you countless hours of running the daily for a month.

My condolences for:

a. your outdated computer.
    b. your awful internet connection.
    c. whatever it is that gave you the reflexes of a centenarian.
    d. your lack of patience to learn even the simple crutch routine of running on straightaways, rolling into corners to change direction and repeating as necessary.
    e. any combination of the above,

if it's taking you anything close to "countless hours" to run this race 25 times. Once you understand the mechanics of it, it shouldn't even take 2 hours to earn the ship every year.

Seriously, I do it for fun and a few marks on 17 characters per day, losing sometimes as I try new combinations of buffs and tactics, and still manage to finish them all in an hour or less, and I haven't been any age that ends in "teen" since Deep Space Nine was still in production.

#snarkanswerssnark
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    Starting tomorrow, we'll need to get our pop guns out because - The Snowball Fight Is Back! :smiley:

STO-Snowman-Takaran-001.jpg~original

DIE DEMONS OF WATER AND WHITENESS!
  • darkwit#8154 darkwit Member Posts: 7 Arc User

I got advanced gauntlets for some of my toons. They do seem to increase your chances of getting Large, Huge and Monstrous (i.e. Legendary or Epic-quality) fish.

Is there much benefit to catching bigger fish, other than helping summon the big gummy snake quicker? With the basic gauntlet I get a fairly well balanced selection of fish, from small to monstrous, and I seem to get pretty much the same rewards per fish from all of them. As the huge and monstrous fish take longer to deliver, because of having to beat them up or waddle slowly with them, I get more trinkets per fishing game from the small - large fish than from the huge and monstrous.

Is there much benefit to catching bigger fish, other than helping summon the big gummy snake quicker? With the basic gauntlet I get a fairly well balanced selection of fish, from small to monstrous, and I seem to get pretty much the same rewards per fish from all of them. As the huge and monstrous fish take longer to deliver, because of having to beat them up or waddle slowly with them, I get more trinkets per fishing game from the small - large fish than from the huge and monstrous.

As far as I know... its just summoning the serpent faster. I could be wrong though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    @anodynes

Thank you for listing out all those assumptions.

Let me list some for you!:

I use lobi because:

A.) Space Rich
    B.) Space ship Collector. ( Looks great in dry dock.)
    C.) Using it boxed to troll various zones.
    D.) Gives me more time to dress up in sweaters.

Have a wonder holiday season!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    Keep it civil guys.
  • bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I might have missed it, but for those who are finding the pvp race to be a challenge, you might also take a peek at the other zones available, and pick one without so many people in it, about a minute or so before the race. You might still find other people, but you might find yourself with only one or two others (guaranteeing you a place finish if you don't DQ), or, as I've seen happen a LOT lately, you might find yourself as the ONLY racer, guaranteeing you 1st place (if you don't DQ).

Okay, Devs, for next year.
    snapshot-2014-11-18-at-05_34_47-pm-1655821909.jpg

For next year, maybe-ish. :p

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Otto Preminger was better.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ferlincletus#5063 ferlincletus Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    What a crappy event.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Boy putting on those frosty boots, and using the top tier Klingon Gauntlet makes a difference in the Ice Fishing on the size of the fish you pull and ability to stop at the proper location.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited December 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    Otto Preminger was better.
    True. I was merely pointing out the gun in "Freeze's" hands.

I guess my post was kind of vague, though. :/

ottomrfreeze.jpg~original
    In this one, the gun, looks to have a fish fin.
    Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I usually WALK the course and win easily. You don't NEED to sprint to win.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I am still winning fairly consistently at both races. Not always first in the PVP race, but consistently on the podium.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It'd pretty much trivialize being able to control your character...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Just because you might not be having any trouble with it doesn't mean there's no reason to offer an easier way for people who are. Making the frost boots have their ice skate function on the NPC race track wouldn't hurt anyone who doesn't want to use them, and help out a lot of people for whom the race is difficult at best.​​
    That's just it they have given people an easier way of doing it, deliberately fail the race 3 or 4 times in a row and next try you should find yourself alone on the track with no NPC to worry about, then you can just walk around the track.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Just because you might not be having any trouble with it doesn't mean there's no reason to offer an easier way for people who are. Making the frost boots have their ice skate function on the NPC race track wouldn't hurt anyone who doesn't want to use them, and help out a lot of people for whom the race is difficult at best.​​

An "insta-win" button like this would defy the purpose though. Why not give me a Mirror Event Thingamajig in "very easy", where you just have to shoot one capital ship without all that fluff? People who like to play the queue can still do it the old way.

You can argue about the difficulty, but this solution would be so completely over the top that it would destroy the whole thing as a way to "earn" (quotation marks not for emphasis, imagine air quotes here) your reward. As with almost any other content as well. If everything would be scaled down so that everybody could get it with no effort and/or ability at all, there wouldn't be much of a game left to play.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    I can't quite gather how people can find the daily PvE race impossible to complete if they at least try the tips mentioned in this thread.
    - Yes, it's possible to experience lag so bad you keep rubberbanding back and forth --> which ends in disqualification. But with that, the rest of the game will be unplayable as well, hence it's pointless to even play.
    - Yes, you may deal with some disability or have really bad dexterity (and while not being that skilled myself, I'm sorry for those people), but then again, if you really can't complete the race, you'd have trouble with all the content in game, just controlling your characer/ship.

Please if you have that much trouble, give it a good spirited try. At least one of the described methods will work for you, be it running and jumping, running and rolling, drifting, with or without frosted boots, ...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited December 2016
    Regardless, some change DOES need to be made. This very thread proves that the race is an issue for many, you don't see a sticky every year for the summer "Flying High" event, do you? The difficulty of the race in comparison to the floater course is night and day...

That is because you're wearing a jet pack, don't have to worry about going out of bounds, and the only opponent you have is time itself. All you have to do is follow three out of the four provided paths a day, and you can fly it quite easily with shooter mode.

And I specifically made this thread not to call out cryptic on the "problem", but to have veteran players share their tips and tricks that we've learned through our own experiences. Sure it might have a little more pressure than the summer event daily, but it is not impossible. And since the ice track doesn't disappear, you can actually do dry runs to practice until you're confident to run the daily.

Plus, the change I suggest would make the skating mechanic actually useful and the course actually fun to complete.​​

As we only have the ice lake itself for skating, it would be a little more fun. Just have to remember that you still slide a bit even with the skating. Stopping distance though is a lot shorter, and people would be getting into trouble trying to go full speed as they do now.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Why would anyone care if it was made easier for those who have trouble? The summer event task isn't nearly so difficult, I don't see anyone clamoring to make it harder. Why would giving an option to make the winter task easier (and more enjoyable, skating is fun!) be such an affront to you?

"Affront" won't be the correct term, but yes, without a challenge, as minor as I perceive it by now, it would be less fun to me. As much as I like the floating in summer, and have occasionally been just flying around the island with some music after one or two hours of playing, the challenge makes it more interesting. Yes, I want the shinies (the ship), but I also want some gameplay that at least pretends I have to earn it. And by "earn it" I don't mean "show up and just be there" but actually minor skill tests. And in this case, a self imposed challenge (which could be omitted) isn't the same to me, even though I use some of them (even in PvP) with "no bunny hopping" since I consider it silly looking. This is why I wouldn't like "skating". I like the run and trying to time the slides.

I understand that different people prefer different difficulties, and I am not writing this to spite you or others who would prefer it differently, but to voice my opinion on what I prefer and why. And in my opinion, this thread does not prove that something does need to be done. It shows that there are some who dislike the setup and some others who like it. Keep it - some people are unhappy. Change it - some people are unhappy. Both types will have thousands of people out there which feel the same and don't visit the forums, probably even more don't care at all.
    It's not supposed to be some massive challenge only the leet wizurds of sto!!11! can complete, it's supposed to be a daily task. If you still want to earn e-peen points, you could lord it over everyone that you can do the race without using the winter boots and laugh at them for needing to.

Personally I do think using the boots makes it a lot harder, and if you have difficulties with the race, I wouldn't use them (unless you have a reliable key to equip them on straights and unequip them in time). But I have a very hard time that this is just "the leet wizurds of sto!!11!" who can do it. If it were as difficult as you describe it to the majority, or even a significant (percentage wise) number, the outcry would be far greater, both here and in game chat. Yes, there are some complaints, but then there usually are quite a few people who will answer that the race is easy and offer tips and, because this is zone chat, some will be a-hats about it. But I have seen more complaints and rants in less populated zones about way more minor topics than getting a daily done. (Actually, more complaints about the race would be a welcome change to all the TrumpClinton bashing.)

I couldn't care less how easy or hard it is to you to get the ship, I just don't want my gaming experience to change (in this instance) without artificially nerfing my gameplay without some kind of return for that.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries