test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D-printing STO ships

2»

Comments

• lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    boachev wrote: »

Cryptic, I really and truly hope you guys are already looking for other people who can deliver this service.
    Seriously. Depending on the price I was prepared to order at least three ships
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Sad, but called it.

The fact there was no update since July despite the various announced partnerships from earlier was telling.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    *sigh... 'tis unfortunate, but not unexpected given the operating costs involved. I would have liked to have a physical model of my Oddy, but twas not meant to be.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Drat - I was really hoping whatever pricing model would be workable, but apparently not meant to be. :(
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    Welp, at least now we have an answer. Not the kind of answer I had hoped for, but an answer nonetheless.
  • salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
    I would like to address some rumors that have been floating around about the status of Eucl3d, our ship printing partner, and 3D printed ships for Star Trek Online. We were very sad to learn that Eucl3d will be shutting their doors at the end of 2016. Since we won’t have a physical manufacturer for our ships, this means that Star Trek Online will be unable to continue with its 3D ship printing initiative at this time. I apologize for announcing such an exciting new program for Star Trek Online, only to have it pulled away 3 short months later. The entire development team has been looking forward to getting their ships printed just as much as many of you in the community, and having this program end before it was able to truly spin up is very unfortunate. 3D ship printing has been a feature we’ve wanted to get into the game for years, and we will continue to keep an eye out for opportunities to bring it to the game in the future.

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »
    ju2RN.gif

^^ I LOL-ed. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    ^^That's what I say...
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    I would like to address some rumors that have been floating around about the status of Eucl3d, our ship printing partner, and 3D printed ships for Star Trek Online. We were very sad to learn that Eucl3d will be shutting their doors at the end of 2016. Since we won’t have a physical manufacturer for our ships, this means that Star Trek Online will be unable to continue with its 3D ship printing initiative at this time. I apologize for announcing such an exciting new program for Star Trek Online, only to have it pulled away 3 short months later. The entire development team has been looking forward to getting their ships printed just as much as many of you in the community, and having this program end before it was able to truly spin up is very unfortunate. 3D ship printing has been a feature we’ve wanted to get into the game for years, and we will continue to keep an eye out for opportunities to bring it to the game in the future.

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

The information/explanation is appreciated, Mr. Cryptic.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Hey Salami, get in touch with me in PM. I am working to find a replacement already from my Bros in another game. A few do their own 3d Prints of ships for the game and I will see if I can get them to help out. :)
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »
    ju2RN.gif

I KNOW. So damn close.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Sometimes when you dream big, reality takes a big chunk out of your backside. Disappointing? Yes. Unexpected? Not entirely. The big splash announcement, with little to no follow ons was a clue.

It is still a good idea which can be made profitable. I'd love a model of some of my ships and I'd love it even more if the same options available in game were available as options on the model. Someone out there is willing to shut up and take my money.

It's just a matter of finding them and then working out the details so it is profitable for everyone involved.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Man, maybe like, if the studio was up for taking pre-orders or something? Let them start getting some kinda cash flow coming in from interested STO players or whatever, it could have bolstered their ability to stay afloat for just a bit longer, maybe help keep them going.
    I dunno, I guess they were already in a pretty bad way even when they signed on and just played it cool for as long as they could.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

How about you release the ships in papekura?, folding printed paper looks great if well done, and there is even free programs that take the mesh and convert it, you can sell them and we can build it, or publish it in PDF, so we can download them, well anyway it's not a bad idea..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    This sucks but you can find most STO ships in various sizes and detail levels on Shapeways with a little creative searching. If you can't find one already made you can probably commission it easily enough. Get one printed then head to your local hobby/game shop and ask around for a painter.

In the end it probably won't be any more expensive than getting one from Eucl3d would have been.
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    sad. but it sounds like they just need to look for a new 3D printing partner. Especially, if Cryptic still has access to the license to do so. I could probably list half a dozen off-hand who aren't new companies and have the experience to give a proper cost analysis. This one just seems like it was too new to the market.
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    Has anyone linked to the original threads discussing the original announcements?
  • beauxbougher#1818 beauxbougher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am just now seeing this. That really sucks! However, I am currently building a 6'5" Galaxy Class Starship replica in which I will not only light up, but plan to modify it to fly with RC parts. I am making the master model—then will mold it, and cast it with epoxy resin—paint it—light it—and modify it to fly. I just started and am attaching my progress pics. When I'm finished, I might try to just make my own STO starships in the same manner, just small of course. 12" to 24" and to scale of each other of course.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0drb3aOe_A3a3ppaWdpR290dms/view?usp=sharing
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Am I the only person that thinks it strange they have not tried to contact and work with Eaglemoss? I mean they have been making part diecast models with some of the parts being 3D printed in plastic for years so they have the experience and setup to do it and hold the licences I mean they not long ago did a NX-01 Refit.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    What's your evidence they haven't?

Eaglemoss is a professional operation selling ships to ALL Star Trek fans. One that managed to traverse the licensing jungle of KT content years before Cryptic could figure it out. STO fans are a tiny, TINY subset of that that market and probably don't merit the time of day from a Eaglemoss rep.

I'd buy an Eaglemoss Eclipse Intel Cruiser or Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer in a heartbeat... But the first ship they're probably look at as being iconic for Star Trek Online would be the Odyssey, and I'd be hard pressed to put that on my shelf if you gave it to me for free. Paying for one? Not gonna happen.

We're just not that good of a market to service.

• keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    What's your evidence they haven't?

Eaglemoss is a professional operation selling ships to ALL Star Trek fans. One that managed to traverse the licensing jungle of KT content years before Cryptic could figure it out. STO fans are a tiny, TINY subset of that that market and probably don't merit the time of day from a Eaglemoss rep.

I'd buy an Eaglemoss Eclipse Intel Cruiser or Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer in a heartbeat... But the first ship they're probably look at as being iconic for Star Trek Online would be the Odyssey, and I'd be hard pressed to put that on my shelf if you gave it to me for free. Paying for one? Not gonna happen.

We're just not that good of a market to service.

At the least I would be happy if they let eaglemoss make models of Cryptics ships doubt Eaglemoss would mind having more ship designs they could sell and doing a magazine for each would be easy just a few images from the design process some concept art and some info from the devs about it, would be good advertising for STO too.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Of course you would be happy: you're an STO player. Everything you're talking about benefits STO... and is likely a terrible return on time invested for Eaglemoss. They are the people that need a reason. I doubt "We're running out of real, canon products" is something that keeps them up a nights. They run a LOT more than just Star Trek bits out of their workshops and production facilities.
  • larva616larva616 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Hi all.
    I just learned the sad truth when I was thinking about what happened to that project and I am really disappointed.
    But I wonder if this really has to be the end of 3D-printed ships. Since Cryptic already announced it, I am pretty sure that they were already working on a way to export the in-game models into something compatible with 3D-printers and the related software, and maybe they were even already working on the frontend for the players to order their ships.
    So Cryptic, if I am right with my assumption, can't you just finish whatever you had in your pipeline and allow those of us who have access to a 3D-printer (friends, school, fablab or wherever) to convert and download our shipmodels in form of a printable file? I am sure that the community would even find a way to print and ship them to those you have no 3D-printer at their hands.
    You probably won't make a lot of money with this (though a lot of people, including me, might be willing to even pay for the file) but it would be a great gesture towards the fans and the game itself.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Zombies...
    /Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.