test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Frankly if they backpedal on inclusion of LGBT characters after having made such a point in announcing it the results will not favor them. That said I doubt very much they have changed their minds on it just as I doubt there is any standing to call it "PR Fodder".
    What would you call an announcement made, mentioning something which could be left to be revealed via simple viewing of the show?
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I would call it the normal course of business and nothing out of the ordinary for the entire industry.

aka PR... ;)
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'm going to sneak onto the set of this series and play a role. I'll be in it.
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I'm going to sneak onto the set of this series and play a role. I'll be in it.
    :open_mouth::open_mouth:
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    O-hai, folks.
    A friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil and friendly, from your friendly Liberated Borg. Did a small clean up, I'd rather not have to come back to this thread and have to close it, just because of few hot heads.
    Thank you! :smiley:
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Thank you, Mr. Moderator for not closing this thread down.

Nothing really new in this link, but a bit of a confirmation that the sets are being built and should be done shortly.
    Production is expected to start fully rolling after the Xmas season in 2017.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/62071/20161205/star-trek-new-tv-series-update-discovery-starts-filming-early-2017-and-might-aired-in-spring.htm

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    That was strange...

^Interesting that they picked Toronto, I wonder what the attraction is.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    That was strange...

Probably subsidies from the Canadian Film Board. Similar to the reasons for Planet Vancouver on nBSG. (Also, there are places in the coastal mountain range that look nice and barely habitable, so it was a good choice for New Caprica.)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    ^Vancouver ain't called "Stargate City" for nothing; I'm just wondering why they went to Ontario instead of B.C.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

That was strange...

One Word...

ECONOMICAL

It's cheaper to film there than anywhere in California.
    And as stated above, the Canadians give rebates to film companies who go there.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    ^Vancouver ain't called "Stargate City" for nothing; I'm just wondering why they went to Ontario instead of B.C.

I prefer "Cylon Occupied Vancouver" as term.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2016
    Another interview with Bryan Fuller from the last few days...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-12-07/the-new-star-trek-tv-series-can-be-described-in-just-3-words

Nothing really new here, but an interesting read none the less.

=============================================================

CBS Exec. Les Moonface confirms that the Netflix purchase of international broadcast rights, has totally funded the new Star Trek: Discovery series.
    Showing it on CBS All Access, will pretty much be making them free money.

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2016/12/netflix-sale-funds-star-trek-discovery/
    B)
    edited December 2016
    More speculation from the rumor mill...

https://www.inverse.com/article/24889-bryan-fuller-star-trek-discovery

This one is based on Fuller's recent "cryptic" comment, as to what the show theme might entail..., “Understand Each Other.”

It does appear that the show is possibly going to center around the Feds vs the Klingons in a cold war period.

B)
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    That was strange...

"Even though Canada has spectacular settings, it's not the production values that film producers go there to find. The lure is, in a single word, money. In Southern California, the studios have highly efficient soundstages and an abundance of skilled technicians, but the unions' work rules make it extremely expensive to shoot exteriors. For example, a production can shoot for only 14 hours a day with normal overtime and then must pay double time. It also must employ redundant Teamster drivers to chauffeur actors to and from locations (even if they have their own drivers). These costs run even higher for independent producers—about 9 percent on average—who are not part of the National Term Agreement that the studios have with the unions. As a result, the indies need Canada—or another deeply discounted country.

In Canada, producers still have unionized labor to contend with, but they get a huge discount—in the late 1990s, it was as high as 35 percent—by paying labor in Canadian dollars. On top of that, the Canadian Federal Government provides foreign producers with a subsidy called the Film Production Services Tax Credit, which now equals 16 percent of the Canadian labor costs. (It was recently raised from 11 percent to offset a rise in the Canadian loonie against the American greenback.) Also, British Columbia offers an additional 18 percent rebate on labor from that province. Finally, there is a 20 percent break on digital effects, if they are done in Canada. In order to qualify for this tax credit, either the director or the screenwriter and one of the two highest paid actors must be Canadian"

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_hollywood_economist/2006/02/northern_expenditure.html
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
    ^No, that's not what I'm asking, I know why they chose Canada. I'm just wondering why Toronto specifically: I would've expected Vancouver since most sci-fi series seem to prefer it.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    If I remember correctly, not only Canada tries to bring in the Sci Fi companies, but places such as Toronto and Vancouver tend to have a kind of 'bidding war' in order to have them come to that location specifically. Discounts, exemptions, etc.

The 'World's Larges Mall' (was to be the size of 7 professional football stadiums) did this with several US states, causing them to rebuild much of those areas they were looking to build at the time. They then decided to go elsewhere and that mall never got built anywhere. It's just the type of situation is similar as an example. Peeps tend to go out of their way to get companies to come to town. *shrug*

Of course, it could just be that's where one of the special effects guys live. Or something similar. Don't know. Wasn't there. Forgot to ask.

:*
    edited December 2016
    More actors announced...

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-klingons-1201939934/

There be Klingons here!

Chris Obi, Shazad Latif, and Mary Chieffo have joined the upcoming CBS All Access series, with all three set to play Klingons.

Obi will play T’Kuvma, a Klingon leader seeking to unite the Klingon houses.

Latif will play Kol, commanding officer of the Klingons and protégé of T’Kuvma.

Chieffo will play L’Rell, the battle deck commander of the Klingon ship.

Still no announcement for the Female lead actor.
    B)
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    They look like they could play Klinks. :) I like it!

Here's hoping these Klingons won't be "soft." I've not been impressed with the casting/writing of Klingons in later Treks. I still think you can portray the Klingons as strong and imposing, while still pushing towards that peace treaty (if Discovery is going to start the move towards the peace found in Undiscovered Country[?i]).
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    edited December 2016
    mhall85 wrote: »

Here's hoping these Klingons won't be "soft." I've not been impressed with the casting/writing of Klingons in later Treks. I still think you can portray the Klingons as strong and imposing, while still pushing towards that peace treaty (if Discovery is going to start the move towards the peace found in Undiscovered Country[?i]).

If they actually go by what we've already seen depicted in TOS time period, these Klingons should be a lot more aggressive and less likely to be seeking peace in any way, shape or form with the Federation.

Part of the description of T'Kuvma, is that the character will be trying to unite the Klingon Houses.

Based on that, it's probably a given that the Klingons will probably be too busy fighting/negotiating with each other, than seeking a peace treaty with an outside government.

I could also see the Romulans being covertly involved, trying to keep the Great Klingon Houses from coming together in any form of unity.

B)
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    daveyny wrote: »

If they actually go by what we've already seen depicted in TOS time period, these Klingons should be a lot more aggressive and less likely to be seeking peace in any way, shape or form with the Federation.

Part of the description of T'Kuvma, is that the character will be trying to unite the Klingon Houses.

Based on that, it's probably a given that the Klingons will probably be too busy fighting/negotiating with each other, than seeking a peace treaty with an outside government.

I could also see the Romulans being covertly involved, trying to keep the Great Klingon Houses from coming together in any form of unity.

B)

Right... I was referring to a rumor floating around, which basically asserts that Sarek's peace initiative with the Klingons will begin with the events of this new show. It is an attempt to explain, I believe, the comments from Nick Meyer way back that []TUC will be a "jumping-off point" for the new show. Plus, I think we know that Amanda Grayson will play a role in season one, yes?

This unity of the houses thing is an interesting wrinkle, though. Obviously, the bid will be unsuccessful... but, why? I like the idea of Romulans poking about, even in 2255 when they're supposed to be in hiding. Maybe this unity effort spills into Sarek's peace initiative? Maybe we'll see a young Gorkon?
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Plus, I think we know that Amanda Grayson will play a role in season one, yes?

No, in fact we know no such thing. The details we do know are minimal, and grounds for a lot of supposition, but that's definitely something we don't know. Yet, anyway.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited December 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    Plus, I think we know that Amanda Grayson will play a role in season one, yes?

No, in fact we know no such thing. The details we do know are minimal, and grounds for a lot of supposition, but that's definitely something we don't know. Yet, anyway.​​

Yeah, when Fuller was still heavily involved he "mentioned" that he liked the character of Spock's mom and listed her as a possibility to being considered for inclusion.

There was no confirmation that the character would actually be written into the show and with his departure, it's probably even less likely now.
    B)
    edited December 2016

B)

Right... I was referring to a rumor floating around, which basically asserts that Sarek's peace initiative with the Klingons will begin with the events of this new show. It is an attempt to explain, I believe, the comments from Nick Meyer way back that []TUC will be a "jumping-off point" for the new show. Plus, I think we know that Amanda Grayson will play a role in season one, yes?

This unity of the houses thing is an interesting wrinkle, though. Obviously, the bid will be unsuccessful... but, why? I like the idea of Romulans poking about, even in 2255 when they're supposed to be in hiding. Maybe this unity effort spills into Sarek's peace initiative? Maybe we'll see a young Gorkon?

TUC won't take place for at least four plus decades after the events that will be depicted in "Discovery".

Based on what we already know from Trek lore, I don't really think that Sarek is involved at the point of Discovery's missions.
    He didn't get involved till Praxis blew up.

B)

edited December 2016

B)

Don't forget guys, regardless of whatever Sarek was doing, by 2267 the Klingons and Federation were on the brink of a full-scale shooting war. It was only the Organian-imposed truce that stopped it.

Probably we're going to end up seeing a series of alternating peace efforts and border fights escalating towards the confrontation in "Errand of Mercy". I expect somewhere between TNG and DS9 in intensity.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I'm getting my timelines mixed. Plus, I've been working on another project and am a bit muddled atm.

Are you saying they'll be bringing back the 'unauthorized' friction between the KDF/Feds? I recall there is supposed to be a cold war about the time this show starts (if it ever actually starts is a whole other question).

Now... who would make a strong Female Lead? Are we talking Honor Harrington type gal, or just your run of the mill person who's in the wrong place as the right time (can't think of an example)?
    edited December 2016
    ^The whole concept of a "strong female character" misses the boat. You just need to write a strong, well-written CHARACTER that happens to have two X chromosomes. There's a really great Hayao Miyazaki quote here: "Many of my movies have strong female leads - brave, self-sufficient girls that don't think twice about fighting for what they believe in with all their heart. They'll need a friend, or a supporter, but never a savior. Any woman is just as capable of being a hero as any man."

The problem we run into in Hollywood a lot is (usually male) writers taking it too far and insisting that the female leader has to ALWAYS be right and even dominate her male subordinates by pulling rank or whatever. See SF Debris' comments on the Stargate Atlantis episode "Letters From Pegasus" where he criticizes the handling of the disagreement between Dr. Weir and Cavanaugh. In "Thirty-Eight Minutes" Cavanaugh had a legitimate concern about The Plan and brought it to Weir's attention as was his job, and she basically called him a coward. "Letters" reacts by having him use his message home to take his concerns to General O'Neill, which the episode treats basically as b*tchy tattling, as if to explain that the "trained diplomat" female leader was so undiplomatic because the male bit character was an TRIBBLE who deserved every bit of it. ETA: It wasn't as if he was directly challenging her authority (the way Sheppard sometimes did, but he's a protagonist so he gets away with it), he just went, "Ma'am, this thing might explode and wouldn't we look stupid and/or dead? #justsaying"
    Post edited by starswordc on
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited December 2016
    You get the same problem with Janeway a lot, for example the early episode "Time and Again" when she and Paris get sent back in time to before a natural disaster. Paris wants to warn the aliens of the week, Janeway brings up the dogmatic interpretation of the Prime Directive, Paris points out the Kirk interpretation that any possible harm from breaking it has gotta beat the extinction of a thinking species, and Janeway pulls rank and smacks him down when he wasn't challenging her personally, he was just being a good subordinate and pointing out a problem to his superior. There was a decent practical counterargument she could use, "How the heck do we convince them to abandon their entire power generation system in 24 hours?", but she immediately went to "I'm right because I said so and I have the rank pins that make it enforceable."

Basically, the (again, almost always male) writer gets so worried about any appearance of sexism that he overcompensates and goes too far in the other direction: any male underling who complains is almost always wrong and moreover should shut up.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

This discussion has been closed.