test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Astronaut and former Senator John Glenn dead at 95

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
John Glenn, First American To Orbit The Earth, Dies At 95 http://n.pr/1bcIcnx
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Comments

• hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    IMO we should honor him in STO in some kind of way.
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Read on a Facebook post that they could add his name to the memorial or to name a ship after him.
  • wuchisanwuchisan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Some have questioned if John Glenn's name should be added to an existing monument, or should we honor him with a new monument that also honors those throughout time who were brave enough to go where no one has gone before in real life. Players are mentioning that they think it would be a great idea to honor those humans who have been a part of our space exploration development throughout time. Thoughts, Comments?
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    A statue of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin at Starfleet Academy would be suitable.
    A John Glenn statue as well
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      Raises a glass in honour of a very brave man, and one of the Pioneers.
      To a life well lived. May you see all the marvels of the cosmos on your new journey.
      Godspeed.

RIP John Glenn.

EDIT: I'm with you on the Memorial OP. This would be a nice gesture.
      Maybe even a plaque at Starfleet Academy would do, with his bio, and some information on his career.
      I think that would be great. And quite fitting.
      [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
      Statue of a chrome 1960's astronaut would be cool. I guess im thinking of the mtv award.

Yeah some seperate from the actors, it would be quite inappropriate.
    • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
      I agree, absolutely. It takes a lot of chutzpah to strap yourself onto a controlled explosion to shoot you into a vacuum over 100 km above the Earth.
    • charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
      Given how long the list of Trek cast members has already become i figure something separate would be in order. A shame we can't go to the moon and find a separate site for all astronauts up there.
    • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
      A memorial to the real-life heroes of space (Yuri, Buzz, Neil, John, Laika, etc.) would be a great addition, indeed.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      That's a nice idea, and USS John Glenn would even be thematically appropriate for a Starfleet ship.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
      +1 Agreed
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    • charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
      To elaborate on my earlier post, being able to visit the original moon landing site would probably be the best place for such a memorial.
    • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
      "I'm coming back in... and it's the saddest moment of my life."

One of my favorite quotes by an astronaut, in this case White after America's first spacewalk. He died with Grissom and Chaffee in Apollo 1.

I'd totally love to see a memorial to all the world's astronauts. Even if it got huge.
    • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
      To elaborate on my earlier post, being able to visit the original moon landing site would probably be the best place for such a memorial.

I could get behind a ground map of the Moon, maybe Tycho City, with an Earth astronaut memorial. Make it visitable by all Factions since KDF cannot go to ESD or Earth.
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User

+1 to this. I don't think the original landing site was ever shown in Star Trek (maybe in the new movies which I haven't seen) so they could definitely do this.
    • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
      A separate memorial, or set of memorials, for all of Earth's astronauts would be nice.
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      Adding his name to the current memorial I have to strongly disagree with since it should only have people that worked on Star Trek. Creating a new memorial that honors astronauts and other people that make a significant contribution to making the world closer to the ideals shown in Star Trek is something that I would strongly agree with.
    • simonwaterssimonwaters Member Posts: 29 Arc User
      There should be something. Starfleet Academy would be the most appropriate place. However, it should be something universal, covering from the Mercury program to the ISS, as well as ALL the countries involved, US, Russia, Germany (Without Werner von Braun and his team, there would never have been a space program)

The NASA logo, minus the name, (or a modified version thereof) can be interpreted as symbolizing the human quest for the stars. They could do a simple plaque in front of it to the effect of "In Memory of those early pioneers set out to slip the bonds of Earth and reach for the stars." If they wanted, they could put a link and list the names, similar to the Memorial on the mezzanine at ESD.

Just a thought.
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      The new memorial should be for any person that significantly contributes to making the world get closer to the ideals that Star Trek represents not just astronauts. So an Engineer that developed a better interplanetary engine or diplomat that helped to bring peace to countries devastated by war have just as right being on the memorial as an astronaut.
    • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
      I agree. Why not turn into a memorial for space flight in general to honor all those who were involved, including scientist, executives and pilots?
    • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
      The NASA logo, minus the name, (or a modified version thereof) can be interpreted as symbolizing the human quest for the stars. They could do a simple plaque in front of it to the effect of "In Memory of those early pioneers set out to slip the bonds of Earth and reach for the stars." If they wanted, they could put a link and list the names, similar to the Memorial on the mezzanine at ESD.
      Maybe they could create an enlarged replica of the plaque on the Pioneer space probe, or maybe the cover of the golden record that was sent aboard Voyager as the memorial. Early attempts by humanity at communication with extraterrestrials, seems like a fitting way to honor all of the nations and people involved in space travel.
    • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
      still trying to figure out why aldrin...
      u7acy6aymfw7.gif
      We Need BERETS in the tailor
    • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
      I totally agree about honouring real life heroes. Would be neat to see a memorial at Starfleet academy, or perhaps a neutral in-game location such as New Romulus or Deep Space 9.

As a wee lass, my grandfather told me all sorts of things about John Glenn and the other astronauts, and he had lots of books about the space program circa the 1950s-60s.

RIP John Glenn.
      Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
      Pouring some out for John Glenn, one of the baddest mofos who ever lived. I salute him. RIP

And on that note, I love the idea of creating a separate memorial for all the astronauts, cosmonauts, and taikonauts who have made "the final jump" to the great beyond. Make it so.

I've named my pilot ship the USS Glenn, which seemed very fitting as it's a Mercury-class. In fact I've been naming my ships after astronauts, space missions, and early Star Trek vessels for years, so it fit right in.
    • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
      No Soviets.
    • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      a separate memorial would be kinda cool, and while a lunar map/memorial would be epic, I think itd be just as appropriate to have a simple memorial plaque somewhere like Delta Command or other 'faction agnostic' location that kind exemplifies the 'boldly go' mindset
    • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
      What about a holodeck room-based tribute? There's already the space for it at SF Academy...you go to the door, click an interactable box, and you find yourself in a museum display on the moon.... :)
      When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      nixie50 wrote: »
      still trying to figure out why aldrin...

He took part in the 1969 moon landing alongside Neil Armstrong
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
        to hell with starfleet academy, put it in orbit like that memorial at romulus and wolf 359 - space IS, after all, what all of these people were trying to get to

alternatively, put it on the moon - gives the devs an excuse to make a map of the lunar surface, including the site of neil armstrong's first step on the surface​​
        Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
        An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
        A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
        A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
        "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
        Passion and Serenity are one.
        I gain power by understanding both.
        In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
        I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
        The Force is united within me.
      • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
        to hell with starfleet academy, put it in orbit like that memorial at romulus and wolf 359 - space IS, after all, what all of these people were trying to get to

alternatively, put it on the moon - gives the devs an excuse to make a map of the lunar surface, including the site of neil armstrong's first step on the surface​​

I like the moon idea even BETTER!
        When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D