test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Updated System Requirements for Star Trek Online

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Hey folks,

As of March 1st, 2017, Star Trek Online will no longer be supporting Windows XP and Direct3D 9, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0. This decision was made in order to improve game performance and to optimize the player experience. In order to make this transition as smooth as possible, we have put together a quick FAQ.

What is the timeline for these changes?
You will have plenty of time to upgrade!
  • After December 5, 2016, if you are running on Windows XP or using Direct3D 9, or using a Video Card with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0, the launcher will inform you of that fact.
  • After January 15, 2017 the launcher will change your game settings to use Direct3D 11 if your system is compatible with it.
  • As of March 1, 2017, Star Trek Online will no longer be supporting Windows XP and Direct3D 9, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0.

What Operating System should I be upgrading to?
For the best play experience, Cryptic Studios recommends Windows 10. Note that you will need a Video Card that supports Direct3D Hardware Feature Level 11.0 or better to play on Windows 10.

The game will run on Windows Vista SP2 or better, or Windows 7 or 8 as well. Be aware that Microsoft is discontinuing supporting for Windows Vista as of April 2017.

What cards should I be looking for if I have to upgrade?
For the best play experience, Cryptic Studios recommends a video card that supports Direct3D Feature Level 11.0 or better. This includes:
  • NVidia GeForce GTX 400 or better
  • ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5000 or better
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 or better

If you are budget conscious, any of the following cards will function. Many of these cards are several years old, but they will still provide a basic Star Trek Online experience.
  • NVidia GeForce 8000 or better
  • ATI/AMD Radeon HD 2000 or better
  • Intel G965M Express, or Intel HD Graphics 2000 or better

Above all, take a close look at the Video Card manufacturer’s documentation for any card you are going to purchase, and ensure that the card specifically says it supports Direct3D Hardware Feature Level 10 or higher.

Please feel free to discuss this change in this thread, and let us know any further questions. We will be updating this thread with any additional notices or clarifications as needed.

Please note: For those of you currently having issues with your Direct 3D9 cards, Cryptic is still looking into a fix for that particular issue.

Comments

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Although I know this will be the end for some players I personally know that still try to play Star Trek Online. I do hope these improvements finally bring this game out of the 2005 graphic level it looks like.
  • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    O.k., for those of us without so much savvy as to what Direct3D 9 is, what's the difference between that and, for instance, DirectX 9?

My PC is DirectX 11 capable(and I'm running Windows 8.1-Update Edition; it also is NOT Win 10 capable), but really can't run STO in it without severe issues, so I use the 'force DX 9' option in-game, running the original lighting by default.

...in other words, should I be having an anxiety attack, now? ...because I'm not very good with those.... :(
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Dropping DX9 at this time, means dropping support for gaming using WINE to play on Mac and Linux systems.
    kazabok wrote: »
    Dropping DX9 at this time, means dropping support for gaming using WINE to play on Mac and Linux systems.

Soo...I -don't- need to be having a panic-fueled meltdown, right now? *slightly confused*
    capemike4 wrote: »
    O.k., for those of us without so much savvy as to what Direct3D 9 is, what's the difference between that and, for instance, DirectX 9?

My PC is DirectX 11 capable(and I'm running Windows 8.1-Update Edition; it also is NOT Win 10 capable), but really can't run STO in it without severe issues, so I use the 'force DX 9' option in-game, running the original lighting by default.

...in other words, should I be having an anxiety attack, now? ...because I'm not very good with those.... :(

If your system doesn't run the game well now on DX11, then it more than likely won't once all of these changes come into effect. You should tinker with the in-game settings to see if you adjust the settings to a comfortable point where the game plays fine for you. If you can't find a good balance in settings on DX11, including at their absolute lowest. Then that should give you the answer you are looking for.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Well now, this is curious! I just looked up updated system requirements YESTERDAY, and couldn't really find anything, and WAAALLAAA today they show up!!! I bought a Win10 I7 machine about a month ago and have been trying to figure out if I need to get a better GPU or not. The card that in it is OK. It uses DX12, but I couldn't get STO to look that good on it, so something else has to be the problem. Armed with this new information I can now safely pull the trigger on a new card and perhaps PSU because MOOOORE POOOOWWWEEERRR!!!! Havent done much with the new machine recently,, I LOVE my 7 year old machine, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. Looks like I'll be moving some computers around come march. Perhaps moving current machine to " video editor" wont be such a bad thing. Still HATE windows 10,,, but honestly said the same thing about windows 7, and was wrong. Thanks for the update Cryptic. I hope this doesn't affect TOO many players, but in order to keep up with the times, we have to change with the times. >:)
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
    jcsww wrote: »

If your system doesn't run the game well now on DX11, then it more than likely won't once all of these changes come into effect. You should tinker with the in-game settings to see if you adjust the settings to a comfortable point where the game plays fine for you. If you can't find a good balance in settings on DX11, including at their absolute lowest. Then that should give you the answer you are looking for.

Guess that's my only viable option, at present...; this PC just turned 3 years old in September, and I've been playing STO since that time...; upgrading the card isn't an option, as the PC has an integrated card, and, as my Austistic Spectrum Disorder prevents me from any kind of meaningful employment, aside from Seasonal work(if I'm lucky), I can ill-afford a new PC for the foreseeable future unless this one fails....

Thanks, and I'll just have to see what I can do....
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    pvhW84fm.png

This is my GPU pleaseeeeeeeeee for the love of Trek tell me this is not going to need an upgrade.....

JtaDmwW.png
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    That's a DX11 card Jam, you'll be fine.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN

Guess that's my only viable option, at present...; this PC just turned 3 years old in September, and I've been playing STO since that time...; upgrading the card isn't an option, as the PC has an integrated card, and, as my Austistic Spectrum Disorder prevents me from any kind of meaningful employment, aside from Seasonal work(if I'm lucky), I can ill-afford a new PC for the foreseeable future unless this one fails....

Some motherboards with integrated graphics do also contain a PCI-E x8 or x16 slot. It might be worthing removing the side panel to have a look. A new GPU is definitely a cheaper option compared to a whole new PC. If PWE could actually get the console ports up to speed with the PC version and actually allow a player to transfer their saved data over. Then they may actually offer a viable solution to players with older PC's a console alternative without losing their last almost 6 years of effort they have sunk into this game.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Although I know this will be the end for some players I personally know that still try to play Star Trek Online.

My younger siblings are at risk of becoming obsolete altogether, and given my experiences with the game's DX11 mode, I am likely to have stability issues. (And let's not even go into the part where it takes years to rebuild the DX11 shader cache after each patch...)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2016

If you have one nearby, you might want to check out Best Buys Clearance section.
    A new, but last years model of a Nvidia or AMD video card, would probably cost $60 or below.

I'm sure since your PC is only three years old there will be a compatible card available and you don't need a Top-of-the-Line model to run STO.

This is how I always upgrade my card, as my financials aren't the greatest either.

This BTW, is really BIG news, funny that They picked a Sunday afternoon to announce it.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

Some motherboards with integrated graphics do also contain a PCI-E x8 or x16 slot. It might be worthing removing the side panel to have a look. A new GPU is definitely a cheaper option compared to a whole new PC. If PWE could actually get the console ports up to speed with the PC version and actually allow a player to transfer their saved data over. Then they may actually offer a viable solution to players with older PC's a console alternative without losing their last almost 6 years of effort they have sunk into this game.

It's an "All-in-one" PC; a Dell Inspiron 2020...everything except the mouse and keyboard is built into the monitor housing....

That, and I am -not- tech-hardware savvy...; I'm great with the internet and such, but haven't even the slightest clue about how to fix/modify/upgrade a PC, myself...; so for that reason, I -really- don't want to even attempt to mess with this thing, nor could I afford much of a replacement if I *did* damage it, as a result. >_<;

I'm sorry if I sound like a major wimp, but it doesn't take much to send me into anxiety attacks, so when something like THIS comes along, I end up with literally crippling headaches just thinking about what might happen...and you really don't want to know what would happen if a -real- crisis ever occurred....

That said, I -do- appreciate your suggestions, so far...I'll ask someone I know about maybe looking at it for me. :)

I'm gonna feel REAL stupid if I'm able to actually get it 'playing nice' with DX 11 and this was all me panicking for nothing!

It's an "All-in-one" PC; a Dell Inspiron 2020...everything except the mouse and keyboard is built into the monitor housing....

That, and I am -not- tech-hardware savvy...; I'm great with the internet and such, but haven't even the slightest clue about how to fix/modify/upgrade a PC, myself...; so for that reason, I -really- don't want to even attempt to mess with this thing, nor could I afford much of a replacement if I *did* damage it, as a result. >_<;

I'm sorry if I sound like a major wimp, but it doesn't take much to send me into anxiety attacks, so when something like THIS comes along, I end up with literally crippling headaches just thinking about what might happen...and you really don't want to know what would happen if a -real- crisis ever occurred....

That said, I -do- appreciate your suggestions, so far...I'll ask someone I know about maybe looking at it for me. :)

I'm gonna feel REAL stupid if I'm able to actually get it 'playing nice' with DX 11 and this was all me panicking for nothing!

Yeah, messing with an "All-in-One" Monitor Computer's innards is a real PITA.

I can see why you don't want to go there.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited December 2016
    They need to put this announcement in one of the BIG banners on the News Page.

This is not something that can be ignored or talked about in just the Forums.

This could conceivably effect a very large population of the game.

We should also spread the word within the games chat channels as well.
    B)
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    @daveyny - announcing it on a Sunday was the call of the CM for NW and myself - since the launcher is updating tomorrow, we didn't want it to be a nasty surprise when it starts giving out warnings tomorrow.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    From what is said, it seems Cryptic is killing off 1/3, if not more of their player base. Not everyone can afford a decent GPU, let alone a whole new PC. Some of these people have to scrounge around just for something to play game as it is.

I personally think changing the game's engine to something a little more modern instead if constantly upping the minimum requirements would be a better option, Yes it would take more time and the servers would have to be taken down for the changes to take effect, but players can deal with servers being down for a week or so, so long as it does not affect events.
    edited December 2016
    @daveyny - announcing it on a Sunday was the call of the CM for NW and myself - since the launcher is updating tomorrow, we didn't want it to be a nasty surprise when it starts giving out warnings tomorrow.

Heh...

Friday would have been better choice, as I can't believe that this decision was made just yesterday, but what is done is done...

And good luck with it NOT being a nasty surprise for many at this point come tomorrow.

As a Klingon might say..., The Chit-Storm Will Be Glorious!!!

Heh, now I see why Trendy chose last week to announce her semi-departure...

Feeling a bit down-trodden there yet Ambassadorkael, if not, wait till tomorrow evening.

<chuckle>

May your shoulders be strengthened by the souls of a thousand Klingons from Sto"Vo"Kor.

B)
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2016
    Here are 3 Options for Budget PCs (Remember if you have the extra money you can always grab the Core i7 6700k)(The Core i7 6700k is mainly used for people that do heavy video editing and streaming)(Also these options may seem like overkill but my intensions are to present you guys with Future-proof hardware)

All available through Amazon and/or Newegg

1st Budget PC @ $567
    1. Case NZXT Source 210 $55
    2. Power Supply EVGA 600B $50
    3. CPU Intel i3-6100 $105
    4. Heatsink Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $28
    5. Motherboard ASUS Z170-P $90
    6. Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 $58
    7. Graphics Card Gigabyte RX 460 $90
    8. Hard Drive Western Digital Black 1TB $69
    9. DVD Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW $22
    2nd PC Choice @ $827
    3. CPU Intel 6600K $220
    5. Motherboard ASUS Z170-A $145
    7. Graphics Card RX 480 / GTX 1060 3GB $180 / $200
    3nd PC Choice @ $1134
    1. Case Cooler Master HAF 912 $51
    2. Power Supply EVGA G2 650W $92
    3. CPU Intel 6600K $220
    4. Heatsink Scythe Mugen 4 $56
    6. Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 $94
    7. Graphics Card GTX 1060 $255
    8. Hard Drive Western Digital Black 2TB $120
    9. SSD Crucial MX300 275GB OR Samsung Evo 850 250GB $79/$95
    10. DVD Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW $22
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Here are 3 Options for Budget PCs (Remember if you have the extra money you can always grab the Core i7 6700k)(The Core i7 6700k is mainly used for people that do heavy video editing and streaming)

1st Budget PC @ $567
    3. CPU Intel i3-6100 $105
    5. Motherboard ASUS Z170-P $90
    7. Graphics Card Gigabyte RX 460 $90
    2nd PC Choice @ $827
    3. CPU Intel 6600K $220
    7. Graphics Card RX 480 / GTX 1060 3GB $180 / $200
    3nd PC Choice @ $1134
    1. Case Cooler Master HAF 912 $51
    2. Power Supply EVGA G2 650W $92
    3. CPU Intel 6600K $220
    4. Heatsink Scythe Mugen 4 $56
    6. Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 $94
    7. Graphics Card GTX 1060 $255
    8. Hard Drive Western Digital Black 2TB $120
    9. SSD Crucial MX300 275GB OR Samsung Evo 850 250GB $79/$95
    10. DVD Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW $22

Are these all available on Amazon or through other sources?
    B)
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2016
    daveyny wrote: »

Are these all available on Amazon or through other sources?
    B)

Sorry about that (Update my original Post)
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
    daveyny wrote: »

Yeah, messing with an "All-in-One" Monitor Computer's innards is a real PITA.

I can see why you don't want to go there.

Yep; I'm in a real 'no-win scenario' unless I can convince this PC to run STO in DX11 without any serious issues...with that said, when I play tonight, I'll switch to DX11 mode, then disable Lighting 2.0 if it tries to re-activate, and make sure everything is set to minimum, as an above-poster mentioned...may even turn my renderscale down to .90...keeping it at .98 has dealt with the visual issues that cropped up in DX9 mode since Lighting 2.0 went live....
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Looks like things should play for me with a Geforce 4400 GS but not optimal.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I do hope you fix the fact that the game keeps warning me of using outdated drivers, yet I am actually using the very latest non beta version!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Let's see.

Windows 7 64-Bit (Win10 Caused Graphics Driver crashes since it's too old for updates)

D3D 11.1 (Win7 only supports SOME of 11.1's functionality)

ATI Mobiliy Radeon HD 4200 w/256MB of VRAM

I have NO BUDGET to upgrade. Literally all of my money goes to bills and shopping, otherwise I would have upgraded long ago.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Right now I'm running DirectX 11 by default so hopeful I'll be ok after the change. This is a bit of a hacksaw approach to fixing video problems and I'm pretty sure they will loose players in the process.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Well since DX11 crashes a lot before the implementation of this the issues with DX11 needs to be eradicated

As many of us who can use DX11 don't for many many reasons.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    This decision reeks of making it easier to maintain the code when it comes to the Xbox and Windows versions.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Please relay this information to everyone and everywhere you can guys: fleets, armadas, STO leagues, Channels etc people need to know about this important change!
    6tviTDx.png

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    Please relay this information to everyone and everywhere you can guys: fleets, armadas, STO leagues, Channels etc people need to know about this important change!

Already on it with the fleet I command :) But i have been suspecting this move for a while. Windows XP support has been dropped by Microsoft for years.
    pjxgwS8.jpg