test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pheonix Prize Pack Epic Failure For Long Time Players

Comments

• nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Sure its a lottery box
    It's not, if you don't want it to be.

Effectively, as long as you don't buy boxes with tokens, all your dil is still there, just in the form that can't be traded on the Zen exchange, but still can buy upgrades and/or retired event gear not available any other way.

Which is why I'm absolutely fine with those boxes and spend my dil on them, even though I'm personally averse to gambling.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I understand the frustration of some, but to call this an " epic fail" is ridiculous. It's no wonder the Devs don't talk to us anymore, they give the players what they want and get yelled at for it! Anyway, I think this is a success for Cryptic and hope they bring it back a few times a year, maybe with some different things added each time.

No Kidding! I hope so too.

The Crystalline energy torp is really cool and I do recommend it: boosted by antiproton energy weapon tac consoles of any kind and high weapon power. Haven't tested if torpedo tac consoles work on it as well, but considering its title is 'energy' probably not. The visuals for it are really well done too, Devs were even super excited to reveal them, esp with torpedo spread. Kinda wished the high yield mode would unleash a single larger torp instead of the twin pair in a row.

Anyways, a lot of great prizes to go around, can hardly decide between them all and which primary toons could make use of what.

Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    gholendhor wrote: »
    Now this was a novel Idea but it fell short. I as a long time player who has completed all the events for ships, find the prizes lacking for the epic voucher. If I was to be awarded an Epic voucher, It would be useless to me as I already have all the ships offered. Maybe the Jem'Hadar Strike ship could have been offered, or maybe that new Ferengi ship only a chosen few received. All I'm saying is this pack is wonderful for those players who are very new to the the game,but us veterans get a selection of rewards that are already owned.
    so what so what. i think its great even if i have 95% of rewards. i think i missed one event... i dont have red matter capacitator... anyway its good for new players > new playrs happy > more active players > all players happy.

you can still sell your vouchers for some EC. or just sell your dilithium for some zen. either way vet or new its great event.

• shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I've been around a while - long enough that I've already got everything in the Epic rewards category, at least.

I think this promotion is a great idea. First, it's giving the newer players a chance to grab some of the old goodies, which is a good thing to do. Second, there was some stuff I'd missed out on, and now I get to fix that!

I was hoarding dilithium for a Wrath of Khan anorak, but I took a look at this lot, changed my mind, and blew the dil stockpile on a bunch of these boxes... which, after the dust had settled, got me a whole lot of fun stuff I'd missed out on, and enough free tech upgrades to push a lot of gear up to gold standard. So, basically, I am a happy camper. So it will take me a few more months of saving before I can get that costume... I will console myself with an epic MK XIV Cochrane shotgun, among other things. I'm happy.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    i have only one gripe about the phoenix pack and that is last week I traded 2m dilithium in to buy the cross faction battlecruiser pack cause it was on sale and I had no idea these phoenix packs were coming , and because of those tech upgrades your basically getting the phoenix packs for free .
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Hmm op let me see

1) got the red matter console i missed out on

2) Got those 2 doffs

3) Getting the tech manuels and those are really good

4) the ability to get things i missed on (mind im not after the ships my vengeance is my baby )

5) Newer players can get things THEY missed out on

6) Dil exchange is the lowest its been in a very long time

Op it seems to me your either mad because the dil exchange is low, or you have a strong sense of self entitlement and dont want newer players to have the shinys you got because you want it to be exclusive.

This box is the best thing to happen to the game in a while, so just get over yourself and your sense of entitlement and be happy that new players can get and enjoy the things they normally couldnt.\

Sure its a lottery box but atleast we dont need keys , i hope cryptic runs this box alot more :)

well said, the only thing I would add is this should be a permanent fixture or at least run for one week every two months rather then just an occasional event, players could then buy boxes whenever they had dilithium to spare in the hopes of getting those illusive epic tokens and help to keep the dilithium exchange rate down.
    other then that they are just about perfect.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Look at it this way OP;
    You don't need anything from this Phoenix box promo... Great !
    Now you have all that surplus dil to trade for super low priced Zen !!!

This is win/win/win for everybody involved.!

Obviously not, as the Dilithium market plummeted. Now, this is 'win' for everyone converting Dilithium to Zen, but not everybody is doing that. Me, for instance, I tend to convert my Zen to Dilithium. So, for me it was not 'win' at all.

I don't begrudge anyone their fun, of course; but to say it was 'win/win/win for everybody involved' is perhaps overdoing it a bit.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    Only thing I'm disappointed in is the apparent lack of the "It's A Faaake" emote.

Anyone know where this one originated from? Or is it just exactly what it says: A Fake, an Emote that Does Not Exist? That'd be funny...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    My first impression was similar to the OP's, but once I saw that we could choose our reward, and that some of those items were superb, I'm pretty pleased that Cryptic had the imagination to create a voluntary dil sink with some value. It would have worked even better as a dil sink if it were not limited to one per account per day, but rather one per character per day... :/
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    bergins wrote: »
    Only thing I'm disappointed in is the apparent lack of the "It's A Faaake" emote.

Anyone know where this one originated from? Or is it just exactly what it says: A Fake, an Emote that Does Not Exist? That'd be funny...

It originates from DS9 and is exclusive to the romulans afaik
    fake2.gif
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User

fake2.gif

Yes, yes. Maybe I worded my question poorly, let me try again:

Where did one ever GET this emote ingame? Or is it just exactly what it says: A Fake, an Emote that Does Not Exist? That'd be funny...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I cannot call this promotion/event a fail in any way.

I was able to get 2 UR tokens and can now claim a JHAS and a Voth Bulwark on 2 separate characters, something I've long wanted but didn't feel like farming forever for the EC.

I can get the RMC on some characters as well. Maybe by the end of the week, if I'm really lucky, I can have one for ALL my characters.

I can get the Khan emote for all my alts.

I can pick up the V.S.S. Tanius Admiralty Ship on more alts, probably not all, but I was most definitely NOT going to farm for it on all my alts. Running the Breech event on only 2 alts was nearly enough to break me.

I now have access to some pretty decent upgrade tokens.

And last but not least, the Dil/Zen exchange has come down by a HUGE amount meaning I can get even more Zen for my Dil.

Definitely not seeing any kind of fail here on my end. Of course, everyone will have a different experience.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Look at it this way OP;

Obviously not, as the Dilithium market plummeted. Now, this is 'win' for everyone converting Dilithium to Zen, but not everybody is doing that. Me, for instance, I tend to convert my Zen to Dilithium. So, for me it was not 'win' at all.

I don't begrudge anyone their fun, of course; but to say it was 'win/win/win for everybody involved' is perhaps overdoing it a bit.

Zen sellers had had an awesome rest of the year, though...

And, to look for some silver lining for the sellers, it would probably mean more players around, and that's always a good thing for everyone.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Been playing for over 5 years now, I've never missed an event ship. I don't even care about the majority of the UR & VR prizes in the box, but I'm still going to buy a shitload of them for all the various other stuff I do want, which I'll have a much better chance of getting as they are lower rarity. So for this legit veteran (nearly 2000 days subscribed) this box is great.

Embarrassing as it is to admit, (quick, check outside for flying pigs), I strongly agree with what Azrael is saying here.

OP and his supporters are complaining about first-world problems, while the rest of us are still trying to get all our toons running water and indoor toilets. Allegorically speaking, sort of. Whatever. Hey, look, a squirrel!!!

nebfab wrote: »
    Look at it this way OP;

And, to look for some silver lining for the sellers, it would probably mean more players around, and that's always a good thing for everyone.

There's an even better silver lining for tycoon Zen sellers: buy up as much Zen as you can now, with your existing Dilithium, wait for the market to recover again, and then make a kill on your Zen -> Dilithium trade again! :) As always, all good things come to those who wait.

People who traded their Zen in too late, to go and buy the boxes, were probably the one who got hurt the most.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    nebfab wrote: »
    Look at it this way OP;

There's an even better silver lining for tycoon Zen sellers: buy up as much Zen as you can now, with your existing Dilithium, wait for the market to recover again, and then make a kill on your Zen -> Dilithium trade again! :) As always, all good things come to those who wait.

People who traded their Zen in too late, to go and buy the boxes, were probably the one who got hurt the most.
    I was going to do that, but then I went and spent the Zen on a TOS Connie for T'Karra (her Trexels origin is now fully transposed (well, except for the characters I'd need to pay for the TOS Uniforms for...) and two extra ship slots, for Cara (every good admiral needs a decent fleet to work with...) I'm likely going to put the rest back into dil, in the hopes of picking up a Cochrane Shotgun (I think it would be handy on Kobali Prime...) B)
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I just sold some for 288. I see some at 286 and 287 now - heeheeee. Shows some nice staying power/people are still interested now knowing the odds. Never thought I'd get to sell under 400 again much less 300. Very pleased. Thankee kindly to the development team for this outstanding promotion.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User

fake2.gif

Yes, yes. Maybe I worded my question poorly, let me try again:

Where did one ever GET this emote ingame? Or is it just exactly what it says: A Fake, an Emote that Does Not Exist? That'd be funny...

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Tradecraft#Accolades​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Now this was a novel Idea but it fell short. I as a long time player who has completed all the events for ships, find the prizes lacking for the epic voucher. If I was to be awarded an Epic voucher, It would be useless to me as I already have all the ships offered. Maybe the Jem'Hadar Strike ship could have been offered, or maybe that new Ferengi ship only a chosen few received. All I'm saying is this pack is wonderful for those players who are very new to the the game,but us veterans get a selection of rewards that are already owned.

I have all the epic ships, got an epic token, and still was happy. Got the Bulwark for my sci toon since I had the other two Voth ships there, and then ground the other UR down to Uncommons for the upgrade tokens. Have everything gold on my sci toon's ship and I'm happy as can be.
    edited December 2016
    It would have worked even better as a dil sink if it were not limited to one per account per day, but rather one per character per day... :/

I don't really see what you are getting at here @centaurianalpha but it seems like you are confusing the free one per account per day with the ones you can buy from the dilithium store that has no limit and you can open as many as you like on as many characters as you like.

• kal36kal36 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    null
    I opened 400 and no epic token:(
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

news flash... its not for you... also if you get an epic token convert down for the upgrades, those things are awesome, especially if you can combine it with a major tech boost
  • anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    kal36 wrote: »
    null

It would be nice if there was a way to upgrade the Tokens to a higher rarity.

anyonka wrote: »
    null

Why, no; cuz then everyone would have gotten at least 1 Epic token. With the Infinity boxes, there's already the danger of very rare ships becoming common. Got a Vonph, the other day, for a mere 150 mil (that market plummeting made MY day). But everyone in a Bulwark?! Where's the fun in that?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited December 2016
    null

it might be nice but also extremely costly, worked out they would probably go at 10-1 to upgrade one level of token and if you were unlucky enough to get only uncommon you would have to buy 10,000 boxes to get one T6 ship at a total cost of 40,000,000 dilithium.
    of course you might be able to shave a little off of this if you were lucky enough to get a few rare or very rare or maybe even a couple of ultra rare but even so still very expensive.
    and lets face it if you open that many boxes and still don't get an epic you must be really unlucky.

• anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    null

Why, no; cuz then everyone would have gotten at least 1 Epic token. With the Infinity boxes, there's already the danger of very rare ships becoming common. Got a Vonph, the other day, for a mere 150 mil (that market plummeting made MY day). But everyone in a Bulwark?! Where's the fun in that?

What's wrong with that? see I thought this was a game for a moment.
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    So far not much luck with ship tokens. But the upgrades are great and I was very happy my only AP user finally got the torp. Had it on other chars, but they had unfortunately not much use for it. But, there is still some time left on the event.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
    edited December 2016
    null

To each his/her own, of course. Me? I like the notion of rarity (which perhaps even translates to vanity a bit). It's fun to try and obtain objects that are rare. Like finally getting those JHAS Elite pets... or that Bulwark. It adds to the fun of the game, in that it gives you something to strive for (and thus enhances your excitement when you finally possess it). So, yeah, tl;dr: I really like certain ships to remain (relatively) rare.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    null

To each his/her own, of course. Me? I like the notion of rarity (which perhaps even translates to vanity a bit). It's fun to try and obtain objects that are rare. Like finally getting those JHAS Elite pets... or that Bulwark. It adds to the fun of the game, in that it gives you something to strive for (and thus enhances your excitement when you finally possess it). So, yeah, tl;dr: I really like certain ships to remain (relatively) rare.

at least you can be sure of the knowledge that your ships are account unlocked and reclaimable unlike the ships in this event, that in itself makes them more precious plus I shouldn't worry too much, its not like everyone is going to be flying these ships all the time especially as its quite hard to get an epic or ultra rare token.