test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Claiming the winter event prize on multiple characters

Do you need to do the event for every character or can you do it with one and reclaim the ship on other characters.

The guy who did the video in the Tips thread (parallel) seems to say that you only need to complete the event (earn 1000 of the prize coupons) for one character, then go to the event reputation store on the others to claim the ship.

If you only need to do it on one, then couldn't you (in theory) complete the event on other characters and claim the past ships (if they're offered again as they did in 2015)?

Comments

• tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    If things go as they did last year, the unlock is account wide and can be claimed on additional characters without any additional inputs.

Older event ships no longer take current event currency to complete. The old event currencies are available from the lobi store if you've already got those event ship projects slotted from years ago.

The tradition of allowing players to slot old event ship projects during winter event was abandoned years ago, it'd be silly to expect it to return.
    /channel_join grind
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Only one character is needed to unlock the ship. After that, it is account-wide permanent unlock which can be claimed and re-claimed endlessly just like C-Store ships.

The only minor requirement is that said character needs to have the winter store unlocked once. Same goes for the summer store. The ships that have been unlocked will still be there, but they just can't claim them until the season hits to do that first store unlock. I'd verify the details of this more, but server's down and I can't check if my newest character needs the unlock, but pretty sure this rule hasn't changed.

Yes if you have them slotted from previous years, you can finish them off** on that character who has them queued, while use any one other character for this year's ship ** (edit)** actually, I'm not sure how this rule applies with year-bound vouchers, winter/summer events versus anniversary. There's a chance we can no longer do that and where the only option is having to spend a ton of lobi to finish off those ships. Someone will have to clarify the details of this.

These rules were implemented back in 2015 summer, where without notice they pulled the T5 Risian ships out (except for those fortunate enough to have slotted them back in 2014).
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Also, while the ship is an account unlock (once you unlock the Winter event store), there are other items such as the modules, the Cryo Warp engine, winter clothes and items etc., which need to be purchased individually per character using the appropriate winter commodities (sleigh bells, ornaments etc).
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, the ship is an account-wide unlock once one character completes the grind for the ship.

It's been that way for a couple years now with Event ships (Summer, Winter, Anniversary)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    It would be great if they could make the ship grind progress show up on all characters so you can grind with any of your characters only once per day rather than be forced to use only one of them for the entirety of the event.
    edited November 2016
    avoozuul wrote: »
    It would be great if they could make the ship grind progress show up on all characters so you can grind with any of your characters only once per day rather than be forced to use only one of them for the entirety of the event.

Since it's basically a three-minute race, tops, I have no problems doing it on just one character. Then if I want to play with other characters after that's done, I swap out.

I don't see the logic. Just do it on one character. They've made the Event ships an account-unlock for one character completing the grind, why change that? It's already simple enough.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Do you need to do the event for every character or can you do it with one and reclaim the ship on other characters.

The guy who did the video in the Tips thread (parallel) seems to say that you only need to complete the event (earn 1000 of the prize coupons) for one character, then go to the event reputation store on the others to claim the ship.

If you only need to do it on one, then couldn't you (in theory) complete the event on other characters and claim the past ships (if they're offered again as they did in 2015)?

As has already been explained, yes, it is an account wide unlock only requiring one character to run the event.

I believe, the "exclusivity" rule that is in effect dictates that now, any incomplete projects will be automatically dropped at the start of the new event with no chance to complete them. At least that was the initial explanation. I don't know if they've walked that back or not.

In theory, could past ships be claimed by running older projects on other characters during the event? Yes, it could. The last year of the Breen ships had players doing just that. But alas, "exclusivity" says that those older ships will no longer be available unless Cryptic decides to change their minds on that.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

In theory, could past ships be claimed by running older projects on other characters during the event? Yes, it could. The last year of the Breen ships had players doing just that. But alas, "exclusivity" says that those older ships will no longer be available unless Cryptic decides to change their minds on that.

Additionally, the vouchers rewarded during the Winter Event are specifically 2016 vouchers that are to be exclusively used to claim the 2016 Winter Event Ship.

The only way to complete older projects now is if Cryptic allows you to purchase older vouchers from the Lobi Store. A box of vouchers costs 5 Lobi and contains between 2 to 6 Lobi Crystals. Therefore, assuming Cryptic does actually offer older vouchers in the Lobi Store, completing past event project can be pretty expensive.

A lock box offers a minimum of 4 Lobi Crystals with perhaps as many as 15 Lobi Crystals. At least I think that is the most I ever got from a single lock box. For simplicity sake, let's say a lock box gives an average of 10 Lobi Crystals and each voucher box rewards 5 vouchers. That is rather optimistic...

If a player needs 100 vouchers to complete a past project, then 1 master key will open one lock box that rewards 10 Lobi Crystals which in turn rewards 10 old vouchers. Therefore, the player will need 10 master keys to get all 100 vouchers. That costs 1,125 Zen or roughly 52m EC to purchase the keys from the C-Store or the Exchange. It's doable, but that is also being optimistic.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    echatty wrote: »

Since it's basically a three-minute race, tops, I have no problems doing it on just one character. Then if I want to play with other characters after that's done, I swap out.

I don't see the logic. Just do it on one character. They've made the Event ships an account-unlock for one character completing the grind, why change that? It's already simple enough.
    What I mean is I tire of using the same character each time, I want to use any of my characters each time for an increase in the same collective progress, I wasn't trying to imply that you should do it on all characters per day.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    The ship will be an account unlock for all captains, including ones you create in the future.

If it's like last year the other purchases like kit modules are per-character and will use the winter ornaments. Those are unbound, and you can even get them on the exchange for credits. One thing is that each of your captains needs to go to the winter wonderland at least once to unlock the winter store for items other than the ship. (Each one only needs to go once, then in later years they do not need to go again.)
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    The only minor requirement is that said character needs to have the winter store unlocked once. Same goes for the summer store. The ships that have been unlocked will still be there, but they just can't claim them until the season hits to do that first store unlock. I'd verify the details of this more, but server's down and I can't check if my newest character needs the unlock, but pretty sure this rule hasn't changed.

This is not an actual thing. All characters can claim event ships, assuming they are the minimum level required to use the ship, regardless of whether or not they've unlocked that particular event store. Ships unlocked from events are in the Account Rewards tab of the Event reputation store, which is open to every character on the account.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • nekofury86nekofury86 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

This is not an actual thing. All characters can claim event ships, assuming they are the minimum level required to use the ship, regardless of whether or not they've unlocked that particular event store. Ships unlocked from events are in the Account Rewards tab of the Event reputation store, which is open to every character on the account.

You also do NOT need to be the appropriate level to claim the ships. If you made a fresh lvl 1 character you can go into the Rep tab, go to events, click store, click account reclaim and there's any ship you've previously earned, click buy and it pops a box with the ship into your inventory.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User

What I mean is I tire of using the same character each time, I want to use any of my characters each time for an increase in the same collective progress, I wasn't trying to imply that you should do it on all characters per day.

Sadly, not how it has been in previous years, so I doubt it will be that way this year. However it would be nice.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Additionally, the vouchers rewarded during the Winter Event are specifically 2016 vouchers that are to be exclusively used to claim the 2016 Winter Event Ship.

The only way to complete older projects now is if Cryptic allows you to purchase older vouchers from the Lobi Store. A box of vouchers costs 5 Lobi and contains between 2 to 6 Lobi Crystals. Therefore, assuming Cryptic does actually offer older vouchers in the Lobi Store, completing past event project can be pretty expensive.

A lock box offers a minimum of 4 Lobi Crystals with perhaps as many as 15 Lobi Crystals. At least I think that is the most I ever got from a single lock box. For simplicity sake, let's say a lock box gives an average of 10 Lobi Crystals and each voucher box rewards 5 vouchers. That is rather optimistic...

If a player needs 100 vouchers to complete a past project, then 1 master key will open one lock box that rewards 10 Lobi Crystals which in turn rewards 10 old vouchers. Therefore, the player will need 10 master keys to get all 100 vouchers. That costs 1,125 Zen or roughly 52m EC to purchase the keys from the C-Store or the Exchange. It's doable, but that is also being optimistic.

Actually, I believe that final year, the new Winter Vouchers could be used to complete the previous year's hanging projects, but only that year. Cryptic has made it so, that the previous year's Winter Vouchers cannot be used to get the next year's Winter Ship, thereby discouraging stockpiling Winter Vouchers for future use and possibly avoiding the Winter Event altogether. This would still be a good thing going forward (being able to use new vouchers on old ships projects), but I believe they decided to have all old ship projects auto-drop with the new event, regardless of progress made, to maintain the previous year's ship exclusivity for those that completed it. Basically, if you haven't claimed last year's ship by the time this year's event starts, you'll never get the ship. That is, unless they've changed their minds on that policy.
    GrWzQke.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Older event ships no longer take current event currency to complete. The old event currencies are available from the lobi store if you've already got those event ship projects slotted from years ago.

The tradition of allowing players to slot old event ship projects during winter event was abandoned years ago, it'd be silly to expect it to return.

Which is incredibly stupid since allowing older ships available would either increase Cryptic's metrics or give more money from Lobi. If every Winter Event ship was available, then new players would use multiple characters at the same time to get every ship that they want. Meaning that more people are playing for longer during the Event. If it is through the Lobi Store, then people would have to buy 1000 Autographs (2012), 1000 Autographs (2013), 1000 Autographs (2014), and 1000 Autographs (2015) with Lobi. Of course, this is more relevant for the Summer Event ships, the Kobali Samsar Cruiser, and Krenim Science Vessel due to the uniqueness of each ship compared to the Breen ships.
    nekofury86 wrote: »

You also do NOT need to be the appropriate level to claim the ships. If you made a fresh lvl 1 character you can go into the Rep tab, go to events, click store, click account reclaim and there's any ship you've previously earned, click buy and it pops a box with the ship into your inventory.

Oh, right! Since it's in a box, level restrictions should not apply. I've never tried it, but I assume that you can't open the box until level 40.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Ok, I'm probably being paranoid (or blind) because it's the way the event ships have run for a while, but I can't see anywhere where it actually says that claiming this ship on one character unlocks it for the others.

Oversight on Cryptic's part?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • robin74robin74 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    I can't see anywhere where it actually says that claiming this ship on one character unlocks it for the others.
    Because it doesn't.
    I don't know if it's an overlook or if it's actually been changed, but so far I only saw people claiming it would be an all-account unlock based on previous years experience. No mention anywhere in the notes that the same mechanics is actually used this year.
    I'd rather wait and see, either through the official confirmation, or for someone to buy the ship with lobi and checking on alt toons it the ship got unlocked.

azrael605 wrote: »
    Its an account wide unlock

Because...?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • twodogs#0804 twodogs Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I had this same question. It does appear to be an account unlock as best I can tell. The option to purchase it is on the event tab store. Attempting to purchase says "You must have completed the Claim a Chel Boalg Warship [T6} Event reputation on another character to claim this ship.

Because...?

Because it's actually already listed in the Account Unlock Store along with the rest of the Account Unlock Ships.
    GrWzQke.png

Because...?

Because it's actually already listed in the Account Unlock Store along with the rest of the Account Unlock Ships.

Thank You.

Because...?

Thank You.

You're welcome. :)
    GrWzQke.png
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    New console player here, so those who've experienced the winter event in the past, help me out here. If for instance, I manage to get one of the nice jackets, is that bound to the characer or does it unlock for the account; if not, can it be gifted to another of your characters?
    New console player here, so those who've experienced the winter event in the past, help me out here. If for instance, I manage to get one of the nice jackets, is that bound to the characer or does it unlock for the account; if not, can it be gifted to another of your characters?

The box is unbound and can be passed or sold. Once you open it, you unlock the costume for the character you open it with only.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User

The box is unbound and can be passed or sold. Once you open it, you unlock the costume for the character you open it with only.

Thanks, bergins!
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016

it would cause far too many problems implementing the 20hr cooldown across your account or else run the risk of players cheating and filling the project much sooner then intended.
    limiting the entire account to a 20hr cooldown would stop players earning vouchers to use for the secondary project that comes up after you have unlocked the ship.
    I see no benefit in allowing players to use multiple characters unless its with the hopes of cheating the system in some way.
    this is why the vouchers are bound to character so you cant earn vouchers on other characters and use them to fill the project.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

nekofury86 wrote: »

Oh, right! Since it's in a box, level restrictions should not apply. I've never tried it, but I assume that you can't open the box until level 40.

Actually, my lvl 29 was able to claim the Nandi from the reclaim store. She just can't open it yet. It's sitting in her inventory.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Like the boxed ships from the super-duper packs that they release with expansions, you can claim the box very early, but can't unpack it until you get to the required minimum level to use the contents. In the case of every Tier 5 and 6 event ship thus far, that level is 40.