test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Expectations Next Faction & Recruitment

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    Before MMOs there were MUDs. Gemstone still has subscribers.

And to back up, no need for years in my proposal, end the tutorial the same exact day the fed/kdf/rom end.

I know the galor is lockbox, hence my saying new ships with combined cardassian/dominion aesthetic.

Do I think it will be done? No, but it certainly could be. All the AoY ships were newish.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would not mind seeing them create a more delta quad faction, which could center more on that area both prior to we as players arriving, and then after we are taken back to the alpha/beta quad to deal with the Herald/Iconian threat. Even if you do not use the Talaxians an cooperative-Borg groups as being usable in a Delta quad faction there is still a lot of interesting story-content possibilities an races that could be part of it. Though such a faction would be less of a closely tied group of allies, and more of a open alliance of races seeking protection that call upon each other for aid at times. It could even be interesting if the starting arc or two were centered on the creation of a Delta alliance between the races of the quad, which comes out of the war with the Vaadwaur that happened, while the players might be sent into the Alpha/beta quads to help the fed/rom/kdf that aided them, but also to explore the quadrant.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    garaks31 wrote: »
    More Species Option ( Ferengi ,Talaxian ,L.borg ,Suliban ,Aliens ...)

Tutorial Missions for the Red Faction ( could be same map but telling the story from opposite angle )

Ability to buy more char. slots ( min 8 for every new recruitment )

Dude, they can't even handle the factions they HAVE, and you're talking about adding more??

any suggestions on how to handle the current faction ?
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I'm always a bit surprised at people asking for more factions, given the previous experience with factions in this game.

Why ask for more factions, when you should know that ~5 months later you'd just be posting "why are there no ships/etc for <new faction>? Feds get everything!" complaint threads?
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    More Species Option ( Ferengi ,Talaxian ,L.borg ,Suliban ,Aliens ...)

Tutorial Missions for the Red Faction ( could be same map but telling the story from opposite angle )

Ability to buy more char. slots ( min 8 for every new recruitment )

I'd pay to unlock Liberated Borg and Talaxians, without the need for a LTS.

The current tut missions for the KDF aren't as good as they could be, but you can't expect much from the same devs that basically destroyed any incentive to play KDF.

Maybe there should be some type of unlock/shiny for players that create 1 toon of every profession from all 3 playable factions.
    Until the 99% that play the 1 Fed toon demand and get said unlock/shiny.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Actually the only ingame or canon race that would make sense to me as another startup faction is the Lukari. Think about it, their species only recently (relatively speaking) achieved warp-capability not too long ago. They are reclusive but friendly as a people. Based on those few details and the voting that we all did for the upcoming anniversary ship release; why someone at Cryptic wouldn't run with this idea is beyond me?
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Actually the only ingame or canon race that would make sense to me as another startup faction is the Lukari. Think about it, their species only recently (relatively speaking) achieved warp-capability not too long ago. They are reclusive but friendly as a people. Based on those few details and the voting that we all did for the upcoming anniversary ship release; why someone at Cryptic wouldn't run with this idea is beyond me?

You would have to exempt them from all content up to their intro, which is probably why it isn't such a hot idea.

The Borg, on the other hand, are an untouched plethora of content unmatched by the 3 factions in-game COMBINED.
    The future is Borg.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I'm always a bit surprised at people asking for more factions, given the previous experience with factions in this game.

Why ask for more factions, when you should know that ~5 months later you'd just be posting "why are there no ships/etc for <new faction>? Feds get everything!" complaint threads?
    Access to new content/factions shouldn't be limited by small minded people who expect the world and then get butthurt when they don't get it. Even if it was obviously never going to happen.
    rezking wrote: »
    You would have to exempt them from all content up to their intro, which is probably why it isn't such a hot idea.

The Borg, on the other hand, are an untouched plethora of content unmatched by the 3 factions in-game COMBINED.
    The future is Borg.
    Yeah, the Lukari being exempt from all content up to their intro makes them a no-go.

The problem with the Borg however is that the Borg are a hive mind of evil. The only good Borg are the Borg Cooperative, and they are in the Delta Quadrant, with no means for them to reach us until Delta Rising begins. Which would means they too would have to be exempt from all the early game content, making them a no-go.
    You need to realize, Som, the Devs are grown-ups and don't need toadies protecting them from criticism-they're not american Politicians, after all-I doubt seriously there's a single narcissistic sociopath in the bunch.

the man asked a reasonable question.
    Except its not a reasonable question, because the statement it is a question too is itself unreasonable.

KDF and Roms have gotten EXACTLY the amount of things they should have based on their proportionate level of appearance in the TV shows.

Hm, yes, but if you're really desperate to maintain proportional representation, most game missions should be happening on board the ship, we'd have ONE Voth episode and ONE Kobali episode, the majority of conflict would involve Cardassians and the Dominion as opponents, not Iconians...and we'd have maybe THREE time-travel flavoured missions in the game.

'cuz that's what the proportions were on the shows-and movies.

(Thanks to DS9, we've seen more of the Cardassians than the Klingons, etc.)

The problem is, Cryptic made a mistake. (okay, several mistakes but we're talking about factions here). That mistake, was thinking they could manage multi-faction play with a staff the size they have on a budget as small as they operate under. compounding that to get 'all deh trex' is a strain and we see it every time they make a release. They already can't afford the diversity they have, asking to expand it further is just begging for the wheels to finally come off.

actually that probably would be the best thing that could happen to sto if it surived, the devs seem to at times, expect AAA game profits with no where near that level of quality a couple good scares get them focus on the game not dollar signs... granted right now the same to be paying attention but that never lasts.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I suspect that this game has a pretty bright future ahead of it - However, that future will focus on the Console Release of this game which is already proving far more profitable than the PC ever was.

Many, many MMO's are now considering a move to Console, as it seems to carry more "whales" (players with more money than sense, generally), and that is where the action will be.

The PC will just see more C-Store additions, whilst the console plays catch up.

If the Neverwinter console release is anything to go by, it should be caught up by around this time next year, then they will split the two releases and start to develop console exclusive content and items.
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    snip
    1. Gecko isn't god, and when he is contradicted by the other devs, he stands contradicted.
    2. Exploration clusters were never a core mechanic. They were in most ways even less of a core mechanic then PVP was.
    3. And many similar bugs on the Fed side still remain. Just like every other MMO out there. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?
    4. Uhh no, 17 missions, not mentions, such as the Empire, Warzone, and Fek'ihri arcs, where the Fed is either an enemy, or not even mentioned. Your inability to let go of this dumb "bobble head" agenda really speaks volumes of your character as a person.
    5. Yes and? Now you are just proving my point.
    6. We weren't talking about what set the tone for the public mind now were we?
    1. Geko knows exactly what he's talking about, you, clearly do not...
    6. Actually, that is rather the argument you were trying to make... The point was that people voted to have Romulans, Yes? That means their majority portrayal, not a one-off viewing of a bunch of left-wing agitators... They wound up being promoted to center-stage and given credibility in STO due to writer's fiat, and the writing and acting for Sela, is embarassing (Sorry, Denise, I know you're desperate to maintain ties to the franchise, but this hammy-hackery isn't the way to do it...)

So yes, the unificationists were seen on screen... For less than two episodes... Every other example of Romulans, is Romulan Star Empire, and that's what people would have been voting for...

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    snip
    1. Yes, Gecko knows what he is talking about, which is why he was wrong all those times in the past, and why the game itself disproves what he says... Clearly, Gecko is a perfect god.

6. And as many people pointed out during the voting, the likelihood of getting the RSE was effectively zero for the obvious reasons that the RSE are crazy morons who are neigh universally hostile to anyone who isn't them.

The only people who voted for the RSE are people who lacked critical thinking skills needed to see we were never going to get the RSE because it simply does not make a lick of sense.

Picking Roms =/= picking the most common representation of them. That is an entirely dumb line of thought to even take.

By that logic, voting for a Borg faction would mean people would expect an evil borg faction, and not a Borg Cooperative factions(I pray to god that no one says they would have thought otherwise, humanity can't be THIS backwards)

As for Sela, did you ever watch TNG? Sela was nothing but ham, that was like her whole character, and why she was great.
    Well, that's a whole lot of hyperbole and emotive tosh...

No one is saying that Geko is 'a perfect god', but nice attempt at combining reductio ad absurdum with a strawman to avoid having to accept the point, beyond merely acknowledging it; that Geko knows way more about things than you, or any of us do. If Geko says something, it's really not something which we, as players, have the insight or awareness to actually challenge or dismiss, but which you, have the hubris to do...

Again with the emotive hyperbole for belittling, which again, fails to accept the point: Yes, that is what the RSE were, hence why people were voting for them -- because they wanted a different outlook on the game than Federation or Klingon Empire...

TNG, yes, every episode and film, as well as previously owning every technical manual, episode guide and writers manual which was released for the series... Do you want to try and belittle me further, and make a further idiot of yourself? Sela was not hammy... Cliched, but not hammy... What we are presented with in-game, is so hammy, it's nothing more than a pastiche of the original presentation of the character, and using the sad desperation of Denise Crosby, to attempt to lend credibility to said pastiche...