test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tips on Federation gameplay.

I've learned that the best character to play is Science, due to the fact that you can heal your men. Also, an all human away team with phasers work best. What to know more tips that I've learned?

Comments

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    So is what's best strategy in playing STO.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Nah. The best is definitely running with all aliengens for maximum immersion breaking effect. All with plasma wide beam rifles too for maximum OP wide beam destruction.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I like to turret spam all the things!

Even more fun if you have intel/eng boffs on nimbus use Photonic decoy. the decoys will run off and find more enemies to attack you. :D It's not like you'll end up fighting the entire map at once. The decoys only run off looking for enemies when there are no enemies in firing range.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

https://youtu.be/tIfBHXjYgBY

There isn't one best answer. You can have 2 science boffs doing the healing while you are an engineer or tac.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    There is no "best". There is what you think is best for yourself / what is most fun.

Regardless of my captains' specialization and regardless of the faction, I typically have an away team consisting of 1 tactical, 1 engineer and 2 science Boffs. I use a mix of races and I use a mix of energy weapons; predominately antiproton and plasma split beam or full auto rifles.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    It depends. There are rigid and expensive "meta" builds for ground and space that would melt everything in sight in 5 seconds, but if you're content with only melting everything in sight in 20 seconds, almost any concept and budget could work, as long as you're willing to experiment and compromise a little :)
  • Options
    One thing I've been tinkering with lately is hold+bomb builds. It's easiest with boffs that have temporal spec since they can use that temp power that's like a ground grav well. that + mortar = exploded enemy things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I've always liked Science. My first character ever on a long retired account was a Sci and while I've explored different set ups with the other careers, I've always gone back to and considered Scis my main characters.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I'm the best!
    Around!
    Nothing's gonna ever keep me down
    I'm the Best!
    Around!
    I'm the Best!
    Around!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    One thing I've been tinkering with lately is hold+bomb builds. It's easiest with boffs that have temporal spec since they can use that temp power that's like a ground grav well. that + mortar = exploded enemy things.
    That's an interesting idea. Another fun one is mix of sci and eng boffs with Sabotage+Cold Fusion Flash+basically anything... You get frozen exploding stuff. That can't shoot back before it explodes.

The only thing is that, I think it's PC only right now: IIRC, they don't have AOY on consoles yet, and I'm not sure about lockboxes...
  • Options
    nebfab wrote: »
    That's an interesting idea. Another fun one is mix of sci and eng boffs with Sabotage+Cold Fusion Flash+basically anything... You get frozen exploding stuff. That can't shoot back before it explodes.

The only thing is that, I think it's PC only right now: IIRC, they don't have AOY on consoles yet, and I'm not sure about lockboxes...
    I suppose you could do a low-rent version that has EG field as the hold. I tried that out on my Delta recruit Gorn and it seemed to work ok.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    Here's two tips:
    1 - Don't eat yellow snow.
    2 - Never pee on an electric fence.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Other things which work.

- The "best" piece of gear, Space or Ground, is a Competent Player. A competent player can do well with anything anywhere at any time.

- People always look for "the BEST this or that" in this game. There really isn't one "best" anything. There are plenty of items within this game which are expensive in RL currency which are pretty good however.
    - Like all games, there is gear in this one which is not very good. However, my view of 'not very good' may be different from yours.
    - Lots of players will give other players lots of advice about this or that. Most times, this advice is good and useful. The only way I know of to find out whether the advice I've just recieved is good is to try it out for myself.
    - Copy/pasting another player's build, without understanding why they use what they use, means I am playing this game the way someone else wants me to play it. Which may not be 'best' for me
    - As long as you are having fun playing STO and you look forward to playing it next time - You Are WINNING The Game!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    I'll toss in a couple for work 'dirtside':
    • become familiar with how expose and exploit work. Certain abilities and weapon alt-fires (the long burst from the 'full auto' rifle comes to mind) can expose enemies (this is indicated by a prominent gold bullseye); these tangos will take considerable bonus damage if struck by an exploiting alt-fire (compression pistol; HD and sniper rifles)... if I recall right, G cycles your targeting among exposed targets (and auto-switches to an exploiting weapon assuming it's in one of your ready slots).
    • you'll note that your boffs' status windows include ability icons. You can click one to command immediate use, or right-click to toggle between 'at will' and 'command only'. This segues nicely into...
    • when available, zone pause is very helpful (the existing limitations on it are rather silly, given that most RPGs that have a similar feature - most recently, Tyranny - do not encumber it thusly). Combine this with the fact that yes, you can select targets on the big map (M)... and away team engagements can be played in a manner reminiscent of the old-school Rainbow Six games.
  • Options
    trekbronytrekbrony Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    thunderfoot006, you've got the right mind set. When I play STO, I usually have the most fun playing my own characters and not modeling them after other characrers or following a formula, instead I make my character setup.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Tips for ground ?

Do Elite Queues with DPS league/Subcomms.
    Lots and Lots of beautiful Salvaged Tech to collect when you're playing with good teams. Its the most profitable thing you can do in game atm in terms of time VS reward.

A good practice for ground play is to;
    Equip Boffs with Expose weapons, while your captain uses an exploit weapon.

Also certain boffs have 4 ground traits, while others like "Efficient" Saurians have only 3 Ground traits.
    So choose wisely.

Then there are boffs with a Melee trait for ground (like naussicans).
    If you're not using melee on that character.... its another boff with 3 ground traits.

Always use Nelen Exil as one of your Sci Boffs on away missions. He can revive himself, and has 4 ground traits.
    Always use an Android boff on your away team - If you're LTS. He/She can also revive. And also has 4 ground traits.

KPerf is king for ground kits.

If I think of more I'll edit my post.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I'll toss in a couple for work 'dirtside':
    • become familiar with how expose and exploit work. Certain abilities and weapon alt-fires (the long burst from the 'full auto' rifle comes to mind) can expose enemies (this is indicated by a prominent gold bullseye); these tangos will take considerable bonus damage if struck by an exploiting alt-fire (compression pistol; HD and sniper rifles)... if I recall right, G cycles your targeting among exposed targets (and auto-switches to an exploiting weapon assuming it's in one of your ready slots).
    • you'll note that your boffs' status windows include ability icons. You can click one to command immediate use, or right-click to toggle between 'at will' and 'command only'. This segues nicely into...
    • when available, zone pause is very helpful (the existing limitations on it are rather silly, given that most RPGs that have a similar feature - most recently, Tyranny - do not encumber it thusly). Combine this with the fact that yes, you can select targets on the big map (M)... and away team engagements can be played in a manner reminiscent of the old-school Rainbow Six games.

Nice, I mentioned Expose/Exploit.
    Must've missed your post, but you sum it up well !
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg