test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

can't enter the game since the new update, graphic error

naval10naval10 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
My graphic card is the Intel(R) Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 series, I expected this weeks patch solve the problem, but not... Will be?

Comments

• naval10naval10 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Another patch and nothing for my graphic card :( will I be able to come back to the game???
  • archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    I dunno if this will solve your problem, but we had a similar crashing issue on our Macs, using CrossOver as our PC emulator. (Try to connect, get the Cryptic screen for a small "Loading" moment, then crash.) Spouse had to find the file "D3DCompiler_42.dll", copy it, and re-name the copy to "D3DCompiler_47.dll", and now we can get in. Unfortunately, the computer now thinks the screen resolution is teeny, and is blowing up the image with anti-aliasing issues (I think that's the term), so it's jaggy as heck -- but I can play, and that's the important thing. I'm looking for a way to get the correct file, if one exists...
    thanks, I will try, 'couse one more week patch and no solution to our problem, Thank you Cyptic.
    PS: I play this game since 2012, before Crypit takes over and I never had this problem, besides I used the C store many times, I hope the problem can be solved I want to come back playing with my 2 computer just like I always do since 2012...

archbeth wrote: »
    I dunno if this will solve your problem, but we had a similar crashing issue on our Macs, using CrossOver as our PC emulator. (Try to connect, get the Cryptic screen for a small "Loading" moment, then crash.) Spouse had to find the file "D3DCompiler_42.dll", copy it, and re-name the copy to "D3DCompiler_47.dll", and now we can get in. Unfortunately, the computer now thinks the screen resolution is teeny, and is blowing up the image with anti-aliasing issues (I think that's the term), so it's jaggy as heck -- but I can play, and that's the important thing. I'm looking for a way to get the correct file, if one exists...

Unfortunately it did not work with my graphic card, still waiting for a solution from crypitc, but I have not much hopes in it....
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    naval10 wrote: »
    PS: I play this game since 2012, before Crypit takes over and I never had this problem, besides I used the C store many times, I hope the problem can be solved I want to come back playing with my 2 computer just like I always do since 2012...
    Cryptic got the game, assets, etc, all except the game code/engine in early 2008 from Perpetual Entertainment. Cryptic officially announced development for STO on July 28, 2008. Methinks you're confused. Maybe you meant publisher. Atari was the publisher until Perfect World bought Cryptic Studios late may 2011, so got champions as well.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    @naval10

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your laptop will officially be unable to play STO anymore starting on March 1st, 2017. Cryptic is dropping support for Windows XP and more importantly graphic cards / integrated graphic core that do not support DirectX 10 or higher.

The link below is the official announcement. They use the term Direct3D which is correct since that specifically applies to graphics, but it is more commonly referred to as DirectX.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1225790/updated-system-requirements-for-star-trek-online/p1

The Intel(R) Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 series only supports up to DirectX 9.1. It is a hardware limitation, there is no way around it. Therefore, if you wish to continue to play STO after the end of February 2017, then you will need to buy a new desktop / laptop.

The reason is because DirectX 9.1 is very old. It was replaced by DirectX 10 back in 2007 which was then replaced by DirectX 11 in 2009. DirectX 12 was released last year in 2015. DirectX 9 does not have many of the more advanced graphics "building blocks" (I don't want to overload you with technical jargon) that more current versions of DirectX have. Also, DirectX 9's set of "building blocks" are obsolete since it is almost 10 years old.

Fortunately, modern Intel CPUs have integrated graphic cores (Intel HD 5500, Intel HD 520, Intel HD 620 graphic cores; the Intel HD 620 being the most recent) that supports DirectX 12. However, the question is if you are able to / willing to purchase a new desktop / laptop in order to continue to play STO.

As for your current situation, the only suggestion I can give is to launch the game in Safe Mode so that you can at least continue to play it for now. In the STO Launcher, there is an Options menu in the top right corner. Click that and then click the check box to run the game in Safe Mode. If you have already tried this, then I am afraid that is all the help I can provide.