test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Only open to residents of the United States."

Really, Cryptic?! Not that I'm interested in any of the stuff in the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E Giveaway!, but seriously!? What's next, you're gonna build a great space wall, and let all foreigners pay for it?!
3lsZz0w.jpg

Comments

• solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Legal reasons, I suspect. Giveaways like that are subject to some pretty Byzantine legal restrictions in the US; very likely not Cryptic's fault at all.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    you could always emigrate to the u.s.a if your worried about being left out.

mind you they generally offer a zen equivalent giveaway in these kind of events, now I'm getting angry and they wouldn't like me when I'm angry. GRRRRRR!

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    ...Not that I'm interested in any of the stuff in the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E Giveaway!...

Then why complain about it?

Because, like I said, it's not the stuff care about, but the blatent exclusion. That's rather new, even for Cryptic. They have a player base outside of the USA too, you know!?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Reality check - your country has its own set of laws. Guess they didn't want to have a lawyer on retainer just to sort out whatever unique set of problems doing contests there represents. If you'd like to become a vassal-state of the USA, I'm sure the next four years will be your best opportunity for a while.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Legal reasons, I suspect. Giveaways like that are subject to some pretty Byzantine legal restrictions in the US; very likely not Cryptic's fault at all.

More likely, shipping. The Ent-E 'Expansion Pack' isn't a digital item, unlike the Sovereigns themselves.

... I'd probably be participating if it weren't for that. The Vizier and Archon look like a pretty nice bunch.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • chewmagnachewmagna Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Some countries have laws restricting giveaways like this, or flat out don't allow it.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    More likely, shipping. The Ent-E 'Expansion Pack' isn't a digital item, unlike the Sovereigns themselves.

Also a valid concern :).

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    They don't want to pay 176 lawyers in 176 countries to approve the giveaway under the laws of each country. Or Canada which apparently has 2 sets of laws, where some provinces require the giveaway to have a silly added skill component like adding 2 + 2.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    Because, like I said, it's not the stuff care about, but the blatent exclusion. That's rather new, even for Cryptic. They have a player base outside of the USA too, you know!?

Ok, so? It's not like it's the end of the world.

And is not that he is asking ppl to build bunkers to get ready for the end of the world. He just made legit complain about something. Do you love cryptic so much that you have to go and the defend the company and put peoples words that they did not make? Do u love cryptc so much? Lol..

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Eh, the only Assault Cruiser i'm interested is the T5 Refit (Regent Class - i think), and that for it's nice Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo, that can be sloted on any ship...
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

ROFL..guess for some prob is...

6f8be9636d0819c74d50ee2bc894f6ba5ae794fd2ecdbbafec033bd8a6be972d.jpg​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    edited November 2016

No, it isn't. But there are still things worth being surprised over, other than end-of-the-world events. And making this so blatently an 'America-only' thing really *did* catch me by surprise, for what really is an international game.

N.B. And no, I'm not angry; nor even upset (chances of winning any of these, being a US citizen or no, are remotely slim as it is). Just surprised.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Whambulance.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Walls are nice, they keep dirty Bajorans out....also if you're not interested, why do you care?...you sound American when you say that....also it's not a new thing for Cryptic, or any company, sometimes it's a pain to add multiple countries...so it's easier to just do the country where things matters, or they add Canada to the mix
    GwaoHAD.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    also it's not a new thing for Cryptic, or any company, sometimes it's a pain to add multiple countries...so it's easier to just do the country where things matters, or they add Canada to the mix
    I agree. While I DO think companies should make an effort when it comes to their international market, I don't think they should be forced to.

And it's definitely not "anti-foreigners", let's not blow this out of proportions.

The only thing they could have done better would have been that only US residents can get the physical model ship, but non-US can get the equivalent in Zen.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    also it's not a new thing for Cryptic, or any company, sometimes it's a pain to add multiple countries...so it's easier to just do the country where things matters, or they add Canada to the mix
    I agree. While I DO think companies should make an effort when it comes to their international market, I don't think they should be forced to.

And it's definitely not "anti-foreigners", let's not blow this out of proportions.

The only thing they could have done better would have been that only US residents can get the physical model ship, but non-US can get the equivalent in Zen.
    Even that's not a safe bet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Err... What about Brazil? Here is a lawless land, so no point in not extend shields to here. And giveaways should boldly go where no gift has been before.
    IInLzhi.gif
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2016

N.B. And no, I'm not angry; nor even upset (chances of winning any of these, being a US citizen or no, are remotely slim as it is). Just surprised.

Can't blame anyone for thinking you're angry or upset after reading your post.
    Really, Cryptic?! Not that I'm interested in any of the stuff in the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E Giveaway!, but seriously!? What's next, you're gonna build a great space wall, and let all foreigners pay for it?!
    SP9Pu.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    They don't want to pay 176 lawyers in 176 countries to approve the giveaway under the laws of each country. Or Canada which apparently has 2 sets of laws, where some provinces require the giveaway to have a silly added skill component like adding 2 + 2.

And this is one of the advantages of having Khan Noonien Singh as Emperor of Earth.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    It goes the other way, as well. An example I can give is currently Twitch streamer and Youtuber "Squirrel" has hooked up with ASUS to giveaway a computer. It's only available for countries that are in the EU. Am I complaining? No, because I understand that laws concerning giveaways are different in every country. Beings that Cryptic is a US company, they are familiar with US laws.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Eh, the only Assault Cruiser i'm interested is the T5 Refit (Regent Class - i think), and that for it's nice Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo, that can be sloted on any ship...
    The Archon comes with that torpedo, too, and apparently also the Vizier.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Thanks OP for letting me know about the contest. I hope i win.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited November 2016

As stated, there are legal reasons for restricting it to US based players because all countries have legal restrictions regarding sweepstakes and contests. That means in order to be able to have an international contest, Cryptic and all other US based companies must comply with the laws for all 196 nations in the world. I am sure they all have very different laws and would conflict with each other. Plus that is a lot of work to not only keep up with potential changes to the law, but also interpretations of the law as well. Not sure if you had the "pleasure" to read documents written in "legalese"; the formal and technical language of how the law is written, but I have. They are pretty complex and can be very difficult to understand especially when you are dealing with a run on sentences that have between 400 to 800 words before you get to a period.

In the link below which simply gives a general overview of laws for sweepstakes and contests, there is a section called "Who can enter my giveaway?". Search for that phrase to get to the following quote:

http://sarafhawkins.com/blog-law-is-your-giveaway-legal/
    You will often see that a contest or sweepstakes is only open to those 18 years of age or older. This is because the laws relating to minors adds a layer of complexity that many are not willing to manage.

Because blogs often have readers from all over the world, can you just let anyone enter? The short answer is yes, if you are willing to comply with the laws of every jurisdiction (including those of foreign countries). In Canada, for example, the winner can not be chosen by luck, but rather some element of skill must be involved. And if you do wish to open your giveaway to residents of Canada, you must go one step further and either exclude Quebec or add in the various additional rules that province requires.

#1 - It is difficult to determine who is and who is not 18 years old. Because Star Trek Online is not an adult game there is really no way to verify which player meets that requirement. Adult games usually have a system in place that prevents under age players from signing up as a player. Therefore, it is safe to say that all players in an adult game is over the age of 18.

If you are from country X which has an age law for sweepstakes and contests of 18 and older, but you are only 16 years old, then there can be serious repercussion for Cryptic. If you win and it becomes public, then Cryptic / PWE has now broken international since that would violate your country's rules. Breaking international law is considered to be a very serious transgression. That can include fines and the potential for all PWE games to be blocked in your country.

#2 - Well... if you are Canadian, then it sucks to be you since apparently it is illegal to have sweepstakes or contests where the chance to win is solely based on luck. It would seems that Quebec must be excluded from the contest, otherwise you must also take into consideration the laws within that province.

If you think complying with the national laws of 196 nations around the world is a nightmare, now you also need to deal with local / provisional laws as well.

If you live in the UK, then you can read the following about the rules and regulations in that country in the following link:

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/FAQs/Competitions-and-prize-draws/can-i-run-a-prize-competition.aspx

Here's a quote:
    If a competition relies on chance it may be considered a lottery and could be unlawful.
    If you are considering running a scheme of this nature please read our guidance Prize competitions and free draws - The requirements of the Gambling Act 2005 and take independent legal advice beforehand.

We do not provide advice on individual competitions.

If you want to be able to partake in a giveaway contest in the US, then you have two choice:

#1 - Immigrate to the US.
    #2 - Petition the governmental representatives within your country to change the law.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Foreigners just need to get the chips off their shoulders. Their complaint needs to be with international sweepstakes and lottery laws not with cryptic or star trek or even the good 'ol U.S. of A.
  • starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User

Nha Nha Nha! this is the trump effect LOOOL
    My, a lot of reactions. :) They sent me physical stuff before (but that was for being, erm, a 'loyal customer', and not a lottery, in a legal sense, although it amazingly looked like one). But I suppose sweep stakes are different. Not a biggie, really. For future reference, though, I hope US-Only is not going to become a trend, as it felt kinda rude.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Nha Nha Nha! this is the trump effect LOOOL

Yeah, LOL; good thing I'm not Mexican. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg