test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Eh, it is hard to say what exactly is going on with Fuller and the network. Press releases are so loaded with industry PR spin that it is hard to take anything they say seriously. Nobody in this situation would ever admit that there was infighting.

All we really know for certain is that the show was delayed and that they haven't even finished casting yet. It wouldn't be the first time that a network has stepped in to get a production moving when its directors and producers are behind schedule.

The unknown wild card is whether there was any infighting over the direction the show is taking. It is already documented that ST Beyond suffered from infighting over early drafts of the script being to "Star Trek" for the studios tastes, it is quite possible that Discovery could be suffering from a similar battle over direction.
    edited November 2016
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited November 2016
    More "Official discussion" about the reasons for CBSs' "Pay-to-Watch" channel for "ST: Discovery".

http://www.avclub.com/article/cbs-admits-star-trek-discovery-wouldnt-cut-it-netw-245919

This guy is kind of a dumb cluck in my opinion... he's essentially saying that Sex and Swearing sells, but not on my national public channel, so we'll make you pay for it twice. (a cable bill & an All Access bill)

WTF?
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    This is exactly why I brought up the 'Disney buying Netflix' rumor...

He's right, in the sense that FCC regulations would prevent shows like Daredevil from broadcasting, as-is, on network TV. Sci-fi shows, in particular, are often hamstrung by networks, and the idea is that this model will take away from that. Whether or not it works...

CBS is trying to skate to where the puck is going to be. Are they too early, though?

And the cost thing is valid, to a degree. Cable needs to die, before we start seeing the same picture CBS sees... and the public will only go along with it if the $$$ are acceptable. They aren't, now.

But, torrenting isn't the answer to that. If you truly can't afford it, then don't watch it (or, of course, buy it on Blu-ray).
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I kind of look forward to picking up ST:Discovery on disk 8-10 months later.
    edited November 2016
    I will definitely buy the show when it hits Blu-ray, after all, I've purchased ALL the other Trek shows and movies already.
    (many in several different formats over the years)
    I think I have about 8 different media versions of TOS and at least 6 different versions of TMP.

But that doesn't mean I won't also watch it after it airs on their service, in another manner.

Sorry, but that's the nature of the beast that's called The Internet now-a-days, and only a fool would ignore all the options.
    B)

edited November 2016
    So, she could be the lead actress...

I hope that is the case, if for no other reason than THAT would likely get the ball rolling on the rest of the cast.
    mhall85 wrote: »

I hope that is the case, if for no other reason than THAT would likely get the ball rolling on the rest of the cast.

Apparently not...

http://deadline.com/2016/11/star-trek-discovery-michelle-yeoh-cast-captain-1201859554/

She's going to be the Captain of another important ship in the series.
    B)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »

Apparently not...

http://deadline.com/2016/11/star-trek-discovery-michelle-yeoh-cast-captain-1201859554/

B)

No, Meyer said she's going to be cast as a "recurring captain", but remember that the captain of USS Discovery is not going to be the primary viewpoint character. It's still possible she's the CO.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »

Apparently not...

B)

No, Meyer said she's going to be cast as a "recurring captain", but remember that the captain of USS Discovery is not going to be the primary viewpoint character. It's still possible she's the CO.

From the article...

"We hear that Yeoh has been cast as Han Bo and her ship is the Shenzhou. The Yeoh-run spacecraft is set to play a big role in Discovery‘s first season."

B)

Apparently not...

B)

From the article...

"We hear that Yeoh has been cast as Han Bo and her ship is the Shenzhou. The Yeoh-run spacecraft is set to play a big role in Discovery‘s first season."

B)

My bad, I saw a different version of the story that wasn't as specific.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited November 2016

Apparently not...

B)

From the article...

B)

It's been an ongoing developing story since Nick Meyers let it slip the other day.

What amazes me is that they still haven't decided on who is going to play the key character in the series.
    Apparently, the Producers and CBS have very different ideas about who that Actor should be.

The most recent rumor is that as a general consensus, they want to cast an 'Unknown' in the role but haven't found one everybody can agree on yet.

It's also important to note that CBS has not commented on any of this, neither to deny nor condone these rumors.
    B)
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User

Apparently not...

B)

From the article...

B)

It's been an ongoing developing story since Nick Meyers let it slip the other day.

What amazes me is that they still haven't decided on who is going to play the key character in the series.
    Apparently, the Producers and CBS have very different ideas about who that Actor should be.

The most recent rumor is that as a general consensus, they want to cast an 'Unknown' in the role but haven't found one everybody can agree on yet.

It's also important to note that CBS has not commented on any of this, neither to deny nor condone these rumors.
    B)

:D As if anything gets 'let slip' in the era of mass communication :D It was a deliberate 'throw them a bone to keep them quiet' move... ;) Like I said, I think they're lining themselves up for another Enterprise...
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'm excited about Michelle. But, yeah, prequeling just reminds me of Enterprise.
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I'm excited about Michelle. But, yeah, prequeling just reminds me of Enterprise.

If it were the exact same folks that did Enterprise, I probably would tend to agree, but since they have brought in just about a whole new production crew (with a couple of exceptions) I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they probably are NOT going to repeat the same mistakes.

That doesn't mean that they won't make new ones which could possibly DOOOM the show, but from what little we've seen so far, I'm willing to give them a bit of leeway and not jump on that particular bandwagon.... yet.
    B)
    Eh, I think the main problem for Enterprise was that they didn't really do much planning when they started the show. They made the characters but didn't really bother thinking of what they wanted to do with them. The era practically demanded that they do an origin story for the Federation, but they apparently disagreed and instead opted for the classic Trek "avoid building continuity and just make it up as you go" approach.

This time with Discovery they are at least planning out a story arc from the beginning of the process, so it shouldn't feel like they are spinning their wheels like Enterprise did. Whether the arc is any good is an entirely separate issue, and will ultimately vary from viewer to viewer. The real problem Discovery will have is trying to navigate the TOS era's inconsistent continuity.
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Eh, I think the main problem for Enterprise was that they didn't really do much planning when they started the show. They made the characters but didn't really bother thinking of what they wanted to do with them. The era practically demanded that they do an origin story for the Federation, but they apparently disagreed and instead opted for the classic Trek "avoid building continuity and just make it up as you go" approach.

This time with Discovery they are at least planning out a story arc from the beginning of the process, so it shouldn't feel like they are spinning their wheels like Enterprise did. Whether the arc is any good is an entirely separate issue, and will ultimately vary from viewer to viewer. The real problem Discovery will have is trying to navigate the TOS era's inconsistent continuity.

Well, part of ENT's problem was apparently that the studio was worried about prequelitis, in other words that folks wouldn't tune in because "we know how this turns out: the Federation forms and all's fine and dandy". So they demanded the inclusion of some time travel elements or some such that would put the outcome in doubt. Never mind the fact that even in DS9 we knew that Sisko et al. would come out on top at the end, the story was about how.

But then we run into B&B's problems. When DS9's higher-ups demanded a shakeup during season 3, the writing team came up with breaking up the military alliance with the Klingons and turning them into enemies again and actually used this as a genuine source for longer plotlines. But B&B are allergic to continuity, so they basically threw in a few random references to this thing they didn't want to do that didn't ever connect very well and then killed the plot off the minute they had a chance.

Basically it's the whole "lemons and lemonade" question.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    http://deadline.com/2016/11/star-trek-discovery-cast-doub-none-s-1201861221/

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY NEWS: the first three cast members have been officially announced! Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh, and Anthony Rapp are the newest members of the Star Trek family.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Looks like, from TrekCore's article about these casting moves... only one is a confirmed member of Discovery's crew.

Very interesting.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Jones will portray Lt. Saru, a Starfleet Science Officer and a new alien species to the Star Trek universe. Rapp will play Lt. Stamets, an astromycologist, fungus expert, and Starfleet Science Officer aboard the Starship Discovery. And as Deadline previously reported, Yeoh will play Captain Georgiou, the Starfleet Captain aboard the Starship Shenzhou.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Jones will portray Lt. Saru, a Starfleet Science Officer and a new alien species to the Star Trek universe. Rapp will play Lt. Stamets, an astromycologist, fungus expert, and Starfleet Science Officer aboard the Starship Discovery. And as Deadline previously reported, Yeoh will play Captain Georgiou, the Starfleet Captain aboard the Starship Shenzhou.

Will be interesting to see how much focus is given on each crew since we already have two starships with regular cast members.
    starkaos wrote: »

Will be interesting to see how much focus is given on each crew since we already have two starships with regular cast members.

Don't forget that rumor has it that there will be a Klingon Captain as an important character as well.
    Which probably means that there will be a Klingon ship and crew involved in the overall story line.
    Which means there will probably be recurring villain actors also announced eventually.
    B)

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Don't forget that rumor has it that there will be a Klingon Captain as an important character as well.
    Which probably means that there will be a Klingon ship and crew involved in the overall story line.
    Which means there will probably be recurring villain actors also announced eventually.
    B)

I certainly hope so. An Epic Klingon captain and crew will certainly lessen the Starfleet bias that Star Trek suffers from. Martok is the closest to an Epic Klingon character that we have, but he wasn't enough.
    It is hard to escape the Starfleet bias when the Federation by design is openly stated within the story to be a utopian society. Much like how by TNG the Enterprise became elevated to being the most important ship in the fleet, with the handpicked best crew, etcetera. Aliens will always be little more than foils to make the Federation look good.

The real question is which version of the Klingons will this be... will it be the classic Klingons who were sophisticated and cunning, or will it be more like the 24th century Klingons who were space Vikings.

I'm personally more curious as to what they intend to do with this Lt. Stamets character, being a fungus expert seems a tad to specialized for a main character role... unless they are combating hostile alien fungus-men. (imagines the Federation at war with the Mushroom Kingdom from Super Mario Bros.)
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    The real question is which version of the Klingons will this be... will it be the classic Klingons who were sophisticated and cunning, or will it be more like the 24th century Klingons who were space Vikings.

Also, ridges or no ridges? Hmmm.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Why not both?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Ridges, since they always had them pig-3.gif

Seriously, I would wish for the augment nonsense to be ignored so badly and simply returning to the origial design choice to simply leave 60s Klingons an in-joke but simply assume it's been always "modern" Klingons all along.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited December 2016
    Both type of Klingons would be my preference as well.

It could certainly be set up as a comparison to today's Muslim (ridge-less foreheads) vs Christian (ridged foreheads) crisis currently going on and be a wonderful addition of a "B" storyline for the overall season.

Giving the Klingons something to rail against (their own internal bigotry) beside the Federation, would certainly be new.
    B)
This discussion has been closed.