test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to improve ground..

thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
I like ground but I do think it could be better since space is so great. I'm thinking first shooter and a bit like how elite force was? I used to have so much fun in the holodecks and miss those pvp maps. When I started this game there actually was people in those pvp maps.

What are your thoughts? How can you improve it? Is it possible?

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Well... based on the limitations of the engine and how things are programmed... Probably a bit more effective use of cover. Now that we have a bit more freedom with the kit modules things should be a bit more interesting. However we do have weapons like the TR-116 that totally bypasses half your ability to take damage (shield).
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Adjusting enemy respawn times on some maps would be nice. 'Tis a pain in my neck when I'm trying to clear out an area so I can activate a console or whatnot and the first enemies down are back just as I finish off the last ones - very bad on Kobali Prime for the Hillside and Trenches...

Maybe some better Away Team AI - get rid of them attacking Stasis Field'ed enemies and thus freeing them or running off after whatever enemy they can see even if they're no threat at the moment ruining your attempt to attack a completely different enemy...
    I like ground but I do think it could be better since space is so great. I'm thinking first shooter and a bit like how elite force was? I used to have so much fun in the holodecks and miss those pvp maps. When I started this game there actually was people in those pvp maps.

What are your thoughts? How can you improve it? Is it possible?

I thought the game already had a First Person mode that could be switched to...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    From the pvp perspective there is no hope. Too many perks from episode content, too many buffs, too many one shot one kill weapons, and essentially a real mess. I found that out when a fleet member asked for one more to qu up for ground pvp. I figured what the hell help the guy out. Anyways wont be doing that again. I was in full honor guard ground gear, and I was getting destroyed. The other funny thing is, the old melee set up was effective, now melee would be a death sentence in ground pvp.

As for mechanics. The roll needs to be smoother and much faster from the time you double tap to the time you roll. The shooter mode is fantastic. The ability bar can be sometimes hard to use due to the amount of abilities you can pick up now and days. This being said, I AM NOT suggesting a nerf or removal of abilities with that statement. Other then that not sure it really needs anything. Other then bringing back the old melee style.

As for ground battlezones. The Delta rising ground battlezone could used more marks as rewards for completing objectives there, but after the recent patch that may be a mute point. From what I could see it seems you can replay the story that happens in that battlezone, and that story did yield allot of marks.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    From a PvP perspective, STO had balance issues, then Delta Rising increased difficulty by increasing NPC hitpoints, which shifted the PvE balance point for damage output, then we continued the power creep well beyond that point, all the while leaving player hitpoints as they were. We now have two separate balance points, between PvE and PvP, and a diminished PvP community as a result of the changes of Delta Rising onward leaves the dev team less and less of a reason to address that issue. Part of that is the wide disparity between casual and high-end builds and gameplay, and part of that is the same as the KDF (and later Roms)... they generaly don't care to invest the time or effort into a minority of the playerbase when it is more immediately profitable to invest in the majority, and the PvP community is a shrinking minority.

There's also shield bypass, drain, ignore, etc. negating Engineers' primary defense (for PvP, an Eng is often better off using specialization kit modules due to the highly positional nature of their offense and ineffective defenses). Similarly, progressive improvements to kit versatility have negated old role or ability balance restrictions (especially for Tac, which can freely stack buffs in order to insta-kill almost anything, with access to team-wide debuff cleases and healing, while multiple Tac captains can rotate Tactical Initiative to grant perfect cooldowns for everyone). That is, of course, just a partial list.

Pretty much everything they can and do sell us because it looks fun to play with in PvE is also a potential balance issue for PvP. I do think they can improve ground combat, but at this point I doubt PvP is going to be doable. Maybe it'd be possible if a lot of the lock box stuff were more readily available to new or casual players, and the 95+ level character progression (referring to 60 actual levels + 35 additional active specialization points + any alternative specialization setups) were faster, but both of these run directly counter to the changes of the past couple years... but that would still leave the disparity between PvE and PvP as an issue when trying to balance damage, cc, stacking, and ability effectiveess.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​