test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO will not break like Neverwinter when bling bling come, they said...NOT

I don't know how many STO players play or played Neverwinter Cryptic's other flagship game, but that one had it's bling bling update back in the spring and when it came the game became unplayable for about a month and half for anyone w/ a 5 year or older PC. Well after a while of denial even the devs admitted that it was regrettable that that happened and they swore that it would not happen when STO gets it's round of bling bling. Well guess what happened? STO broke for me when bling bling came and support says there is nothing they can do about it, so 4 years of playing STO goes down the drain cuz they had to do this bling bling update.
At least back then the Neverwinter client started up and then timed out on login, but the STO client just up and vanishes when I hit ENGAGE, but they say it's not their fault, it's mine for having an old PC.
I still have some hope left though, as Neverwinter sprung back to life a month and half later, but that hope is just a sliver now, so most likely I will quit this game even though I really enjoy it...
Well that's that, 4 years gone and I won't have it back, oh well thanks for being cryptic as usual dear Cryptic. See ya.

Comments

• Options
    captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    I never played it, (EQ fan), so which is better, STO or NW?
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I tried Neverwinter for a while.

I was having problems with vertigo....all those cliffs and rickety bridges to cross... ugh....while on top of a "mount" didn't help.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    can I haz ur stuffs?

More seriously my computer isnt exactly rocking the latest and greatest hardware either, but if a game updates itself outside my ability to run it then guess what, that's life. Even WoW had a graphics update that pushed min system requirements up.

on a different note, have you tried booting it into safe mode and turning the new shiny off? Or trying the options from the launcher? The "bling bling" update has an off button.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    elvenaar wrote: »
    I don't know how many STO players play or played Neverwinter Cryptic's other flagship game, but that one had it's bling bling update back in the spring and when it came the game became unplayable for about a month and half for anyone w/ a 5 year or older PC. Well after a while of denial even the devs admitted that it was regrettable that that happened and they swore that it would not happen when STO gets it's round of bling bling. Well guess what happened? STO broke for me when bling bling came and support says there is nothing they can do about it, so 4 years of playing STO goes down the drain cuz they had to do this bling bling update.
    At least back then the Neverwinter client started up and then timed out on login, but the STO client just up and vanishes when I hit ENGAGE, but they say it's not their fault, it's mine for having an old PC.
    I still have some hope left though, as Neverwinter sprung back to life a month and half later, but that hope is just a sliver now, so most likely I will quit this game even though I really enjoy it...
    Well that's that, 4 years gone and I won't have it back, oh well thanks for being cryptic as usual dear Cryptic. See ya.

Well, you have to remember that this is a huge update for the PC since they literally have to update the game which is on an aging engine. They're working on hashing out a bunch of the bugs that they introduced, such as with Temporal Agents and other characters unable to claim rewards from the store.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    "bling bling" huh......../facepalm.

At any rate, bye, see ya, don't let the door hit you in the "bling bling" on the way out.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Cryptic breaking things on an update has been a thing for quite sometime on both games. Caturday in NWO being the first most well known. Really not a huge deal, as it gets fixed eventually. *shrug*
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    can I haz ur stuffs?

Damn it! Beat to it! ;)

My PC is over 5 yrs old (a HP Pavilion h8-1241 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti) and STO is working fine at better than average settings. I am running Win10 now but it came w/ Win7. :/
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Personally, I play on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows Vista that's about five or six years old, never had a bit of problem, really. In fact, the reason I started playing STO on it was because the graphics problems from the release of Season Eight wouldn't let the game work on what was actually a newer computer and I've just kept playing on the Toshiba ever since. The closest I've come to having any graphics problems with it was when the new update reset things to default and I had to go in and remind STO of the way things are supposed to be.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    All of the new Graphics Options can be turned off, if it breaks your PC just disable it.

Of course, that would rob you of the drama of creating this whole "LOOK AT ME" thread.. but obviously, you have that part covered.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Or...the OP is too stupid to follow the instructions given on how to fix various issues already covered on the board.

I can't judge on this case, since I haven't tried shutting it off (no need). It probably is easy.

But yeah, the general issue appears all too often on here. Cryptic introduces a problem (which admittedly happens more often than I'd like), people complain on the forums, other people tell them how to work around that issue (switch maps, log out and in again, switch out your away team and back to who you want, and so on). Then the first people will complain that they shouldn't be required to use such workarounds. Which is fine, they shouldn't be, but do you want your problem solved or not?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I just did this thing called "turning my settings down a little." Miraculously, not only can I play the game looking pretty much like it did back when it was DX9 only, my performance has actually increased despite my visual quality remaining the same on this five-year-old rig.

Thank God Cyber Monday is happening before too much longer, I finally squirreled some cash away for some upgrades.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Back on the Forum after playing 30 minutes ending with a game crash, the umteenth one. After the patch the game did not run/did not run well. I had this no-text thing and constantly crashes. I had and still have this message at start up that I have to update my ATI driver. I have updated it. The message doesn't go away as the game crashes.

I reinstalled the game, play on medium settings. Graphics look good, with 2.0 or without. Sometimes I have some weird effects. As if someone turned the disco ball on.

Even if I can fix things on my side by adjusting my settings, I think the whole change is a bad move. Graphics were good in my view. As far as the new graphics look better it is foremost a matter of taste.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Huh. When the graphics update come out my settings all went to -minimum- and I just turned them back UP to what I was used to. It took all of 10 minutes fiddling around as I tested each change. A small price to pay for players with new(er) rigs to see STO filmed in the new glorious Taco-vision :D.

The game does best when there's lots of happy players pouring money into it. So other people being happy benefits ME.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I feel foolish analyzing the new lighting all the first day then realizing that it never was turned on.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    This computer dates back to 2009, and I've only ever replaced the HDD and upgraded the video card to (what was then) last year's model. STO plays incredibly well, as does NW (and I came into NW after that upgrade the OP mentioned). Lots and lots of mileage varying here, I think.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    It's actually funny. I have a 5 year old computer and when I started playing STO again back in August) I had my graphics set on low-medium.

When they got reset, I had to fiddle with them and turns out I could run them on one notch from high. I don't get it. Especially since on my old settings I'd get a choppy frame rate in big space battles, which doesn't seem to be the case (though then again, the red alerts are broken, so I can't be sure, but Badlands runs better. Same with Earth Space Dock. It would chug along at maybe 20 fps, but now it's 30 or so and that's with full shadows.

Still no lighting 2.0, but everything looks so much better.
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Age of the PC shouldn't necessarily be an issue assuming the min specs are met. Even an 8 year old PC with 8 GB RAM and a good AGP Video card would still run the game well.

I suspect the OP's issue may be with his OS; as in the current client isn't working well on PCs with XP. Tribble got an update to address the issue, but seriously if this is the OP's issue, he has no one to blame but himself. Cryptic can't be held responsible for these guys still using an ancient OS that everyone has dropped support on years ago and they should be grateful that Cryptic is putting any effort into "fixing" it so it can still run.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    buying a new pc every 4 years is ok... try playing with lowest possible settings... looks like pixelated junk but hey it's only a game. newest low end graphic card is 1050 or 1050ti... that is probably way stronger than your current card/pc
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I wonder why people bring up the age of their computers when it really doesn't indicate anything at all... other than its age. I mean, there is a major difference between having a 6 year old super rig and a 6 year old $350 school laptop.

It would be good if people would mention what hardware they have to bring about a better understanding of what they are experiencing. If the OP is running STO on some old Intel Celeron processor with 2 GB of RAM and a GTS 250 with 512MB memory, then it may not be so strange that he or she is having these issues.

But let's say he or she is using an Intel i7 980X, 24 GB of RAM and an old GTX 480 with 1.5 GB memory, then it might be more questionable.

• Options
    elvenaarelvenaar Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    All of the new Graphics Options can be turned off, if it breaks your PC just disable it.

Of course, that would rob you of the drama of creating this whole "LOOK AT ME" thread.. but obviously, you have that part covered.

Or...the OP is too stupid to follow the instructions given on how to fix various issues already covered on the board. I mean my computer sucks and I had to turn off most of the new stuff...and it was kinda annoying doing multiple reboots to get everything working, but seriously, unless you are an idiot, it's not HARD to fix the issues. Hell I can even run a bit higher graphics with the update since the graphic engine update isn't nearly as big of a bloatware as the previous version. So yeah...everything about it making old computers unable to run it isn't even being a drama ****...it's just flat out untrue.

Pls tell me how to turn off stuff when the game doesn't even start? Hmm? But at least there is some progress, w/ today's update the loading screen comes in, it just crashes after loading in about halfway.
    So to all the know it alls out there, I CAN'T CHANGE SETTINGS UNTIL I LOAD THE BLOODY GAME IN, which it won't do, but hell keep on saying I'm stupid and whatnot, I dont' give a TRIBBLE anymore.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    kjfett wrote: »
    Age of the PC shouldn't necessarily be an issue assuming the min specs are met. Even an 8 year old PC with 8 GB RAM and a good AGP Video card would still run the game well.

I suspect the OP's issue may be with his OS; as in the current client isn't working well on PCs with XP. Tribble got an update to address the issue, but seriously if this is the OP's issue, he has no one to blame but himself. Cryptic can't be held responsible for these guys still using an ancient OS that everyone has dropped support on years ago and they should be grateful that Cryptic is putting any effort into "fixing" it so it can still run.

Good point. Support for XP ended two and a half years ago. If the OP's PC is still running XP it is probably a virus-riddled mess that should be hauled away AS garbage.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    elvenaar wrote: »

Seriously enough already so you're playing this game on a potato and you're mad at the developers because they decided to upgrade the graphics and you can play on your five or six-year-old computer just stop it supports is is nothing they can do for you I have a newsflash for you how about you go out and buy a new freaking computer I mean seriously what is wrong with some people why do you think that if you have a computer that's 5..6...7... and in some cases eight years old that you should be able to play all the modern games or the modern game should work stop already the people make me sick oh and for all you Apple users out there you know what was happening when you bought your Apple computer okay so don't get pissed off because you can't seem to get STO to run correctly
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg