test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

3D Custom Interior Designer

rogue6800rogue6800 Member Posts: 213 Arc User
How interested/useful would anyone find a separate 3D editor which could display *some* foundry assets which could be moved to produce a custom interior and would then generate a file with the exact asset names and locations.

I have some time on my hands so I would like a "wishlist" of features, in effect. The project is using unity. I can't make any guarantees it will get anywhere though, I can't be sure if this free time will stick around.

If the devs have any objections to this, I though it was probably best to let you this before I begin.
Post edited by rogue6800 on

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    You mean like a screen to which I could glance at to see how I'm deploying props etc?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    Basically, a 3d environment where you can drag and drop props and arrange them, to test designs, but also to produce a list with coodinates which can then be used to reproduce it in the actual editor. It saves the constant loading and testing and you can adjust the props while you are in 3D mode, rather that having to guess in the foundry editor.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Sounds like a awesome idea. I would defiantly use it.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    pendra37#5088 pendra37 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    How do you get the models and their respective origins from the client and load them up in Unity?
  • Options
    How do you get the models and their respective origins from the client and load them up in Unity?

I guess I should have mentioned it earlier, it is also the reason why i am concerned the dev's might shut this down. I intend to capture the 3D model and materials from my graphics card using an application which I cannot name. I will have to get each asset and fix the origin point and scale manually. I will start off with basic interior items e.g. walls/floors and add accessories later.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    rogue6800 wrote: »

I guess I should have mentioned it earlier, it is also the reason why i am concerned the dev's might shut this down. I intend to capture the 3D model and materials from my graphics card using an application which I cannot name. I will have to get each asset and fix the origin point and scale manually. I will start off with basic interior items e.g. walls/floors and add accessories later.

I feel I should point out that this kind of thing has run afoul of the EULA in the past. In that case a user attempted to extract previews of assets from the game files. As far as I'm aware, no disciplinary measures were taken and the user voluntarily pulled the results.

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, just pass along a friendly warning.
  • Options
    3D Ripper or similar? I'm pretty sure they will not like this approach. The main issue will be that the origin is not consistent from object to object. It can be mid-mid, mid-bottom or completely random.

Many years ago, I made an automated import tool that could read the exports and duplicate any map in 10 mins or so.
    Do a search for STO Foundry - Custom interior in 30 minutes on Youtube. They didn't like that either.
  • Options
    3D Ripper or similar? I'm pretty sure they will not like this approach. The main issue will be that the origin is not consistent from object to object. It can be mid-mid, mid-bottom or completely random.

Many years ago, I made an automated import tool that could read the exports and duplicate any map in 10 mins or so.
    Do a search for STO Foundry - Custom interior in 30 minutes on Youtube. They didn't like that either.

Just for the record I will not discuss assets unless it is in a PM with a dev or mod.

If I'm asked to stop, I'll end the project, and I completely understand where they (and you) are coming from. However, I'm trying to support the foundry community, and I'll do what I can.
  • Options
    They never asked me to stop or ban me or anything. The community simply ignored the tools in fear of a ban.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    They never asked me to stop or ban me or anything. The community simply ignored the tools in fear of a ban.
    Aww.... *hugs pendra*

Mostly because you finally got on the forum. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    IMO the 2d editor is perfect for wall and door placement BUT one of the two main updates/overhaul the Foundry needs is a 3d editor for placement of interior items as well as the ability for foundry projects to be developed in a colabaration i.e. one person doing maps while another can work on story etc.

This sort of improvment - I think - would mean that not only would more players be attracted to playing foundry missions but be a selling point to get people in game in general. Alas it is in the EULA about the use of Cryptics assets which all the items in the foundry are, so I would definatly speak to them before you start to put in the hard work.

However it turns out, thank you for having the thought to offer it to us. :)
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    mjarbar wrote: »
    IMO the 2d editor is perfect for wall and door placement BUT one of the two main updates/overhaul the Foundry needs is a 3d editor for placement of interior items as well as the ability for foundry projects to be developed in a colabaration i.e. one person doing maps while another can work on story etc.

This sort of improvment - I think - would mean that not only would more players be attracted to playing foundry missions but be a selling point to get people in game in general. Alas it is in the EULA about the use of Cryptics assets which all the items in the foundry are, so I would definatly speak to them before you start to put in the hard work.

However it turns out, thank you for having the thought to offer it to us. :)

Thanks for the interest. I've already contacted Cryptic about it and I'm hoping for a reply this week. In the mean time I'm working on the base mechanics. If they say no (which is more than likely) I will see if placeholder assets will be good enough.

We know that the devs love the foundry, but they have to balance "that would be nice" with "this will make money". For that I have no problem. No money, no game - we can't blame them.

I'd like to think Cryptic would allow it under some conditions, but if nothing else I'm getting experience out it all, so hey ho pip and dandy.

As for collaboration, people could set up a shared account. They wouldnt be able to to it at the same time, but they could work on the same project.
  • Options
    quantumloopquantumloop Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Would be nice, I've started just using Sketchup to place things close enough, then trying to reference that as I build.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Would be nice, I've started just using Sketchup to place things close enough, then trying to reference that as I build.

I'm nearly there now. I'll be releasing a test version either today or tomorrow. Since Cryptic or PWE haven't responded in any of my attempts to contact them, I'm going to be using placeholder assets for the moment. Approximations for 3D models and screenshots for textures.
  • Options
    captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    Unfortunately, it is explicitly against the EULA to share an account. The only way I could see to genuinely collaborate is to have one person actually build while collaborators join in on a livestream of the account holder's editor, as he/she does the physical work.

The two StarbaseUGC series have been collaborations in that most aspects of the missions were discussed amongst the authors in the group, with some of the maps being shared, and missions being checked for continuity.

The idea of collaborating on missions is as old as Foundry, itself. it certainly can be done, but not easily.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg