test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wineskin with 10/25 update

Good afternoon,

edit: FIX (Thanks to Protoneus for finding out Wine 1.6 works, and NightNerdy for helping with Wineskin)

FIX: Switch your Wine version to 1.6. Can be done with Playonmac , plain Wine or Wineskin (Engine 1.6.2)!

Was running with Winskin winery on a Mac and things were good, but crashing with the new update. Would appreciate if any other players have tricks to get in since the patch!

Cheers!
Post edited by void#4532 on

Comments

• kurzoffkurzoff Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    lol i think mac users are TRIBBLE out of luck
    do we need a signature? why?
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    I ran into the same problem with Wine on Linux. Still looking to find the root cause but interaction with the dx11 dll is my primary suspect.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
    imagine this, i have same problem with a windows machine, and also with crossover on a mac
    cant force dx9, it does not seem to wrok
    im pretty much upset now, i dont wanna by a new computer because of that, its pretty much frustrating
    I've been toying with the Wine debugger during the evening. On my side there's 92 shader compilation failure before the program crashes with an assertion. This is the output of the final compilation error and the assertion.
    err:d3dcompiler:compile_shader HLSL shader parsing failed.

Pixel shader compilation failure, (compile error code = 0x88760b59): Shaders/D3d/Effects/Noalphablit.Phl (ps_5_0)
    Defines: POSTPROCESSING QUADRUPLE DEPTH CRYPTIC_SHADER_PLATFORM_LANGUAGE_HLSL __HLSL__ SM50 SM30 VFETCH DEPTH_TEXTURE D3D11 USE_OLD_REFLECTION NO_AMBIENT_FALLOFF WINE PSSL_DISABLE_SRT PIXEL_SHADER
    Shaders/D3d/Effects/Noalphablit.Phl:3:76: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER
     #pragma warning (disable:3206)

2016-10-25 23:15:19 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! pErrorShader && pErrorShader->shader.typeless

I'm not a developer so without the source code I can't interpret what assertion Cryptic put in the code at this point and why it fails. I doubt there's an easy client side solution to this though. Even though Cryptic doesn't officially support Linux and Mac, let's hope some devoted developer sees this and knows what's going on.
    ---
  • retcynmretcynm Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Just to chime in, I run STO under crossover on my MacBook and have run into the same issue. I get to the black screen with "Cryptic" in the center, the progress bar makes a tiny bit of progress, hangs, then quickly crashes out to a cryptic error window. Have already re-installed STO, with no improvement.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,104 Arc User
    @retcynm am having the exact same issue as yourself using both PlayOnMac and a separate Wine install.

@trekpuppy for what it's worth on a non DX11 capable laptop I've been getting a d3dcompiler shader failure warning in tiny letters at the bottom of my game boot screen prior to the patch when things were working. Was using -d3d9 command in startup window options.

2dlrded.jpg

• collossustitancollossustitan Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    @protoneous getting the exact same problem as the rest of you. When you launch the game client, does it randomly verify a hundred thousand or so files without you needing to say Yes or No?
    protoneous wrote: »
    @trekpuppy for what it's worth on a non DX11 capable laptop I've been getting a d3dcompiler shader failure warning in tiny letters at the bottom of my game boot screen prior to the patch when things were working. Was using -d3d9 command in startup window options.

2dlrded.jpg

That's a common misunderstanding. It's a return code (error code) of zero which means everything is OK. We all get the same message but I agree it's badly communicated though. :)

---
  • void#4532 void Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I am seeing a "ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated" error in my wineskin test run log. In case anybody can test with winbind installed on a distro. Though personally I think this might be another separate issue and the the big issue/crash cause is the shader recompilation asserts mentionned above as it actually refers to the asserts.

Cheers!
  • nixnutz7nixnutz7 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Same issue with PlayOnMac. Don't even get past the Cryptic loading screen. From perusing the forum, looks like there are several issues with the update.
  • whisperorwhisperor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Same issue here; submitted the following ticket just now.
    After the latest patch (on Oct 25, 2016), I have start up issues. As soon as I hit the "engage" button, the game opens it's loading "Cryptic" loading screen. However, as soon as the game starts loading, it suddenly freezes and quits automatically; I then get a small error message screen. Prior to the patch, i hadn't had this problem; PLEASE FIX!

I'm currently operating a Mac OS X 10.9.5 using a CrossOver 15.3.1.29689 wineskin from CodeWeavers.

....You know, it's as if some dev didn't do their homework during beta testing.Somebody better get on it or else!
  • retcynmretcynm Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Have seen several reports that STO no longer runs on XP after this patch. The EZ install of STO using Crossover is into an XP bottle. I'll try installing into a Win7 bottle later this afternoon to see if that makes any difference.
  • wypreachermanwypreacherman Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    According to Crossover 15.3.1.29689, STO is an incompatible bottle with Windows 98, 2000, Vista, 7, and 8. I haven't installed it via a Win 7 bottle yet, but I would suspect that it won't work. Hopefully retcynm had good luck with this.
  • potyike111potyike111 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    nixnutz7 wrote: »
    Same issue with PlayOnMac. Don't even get past the Cryptic loading screen.
    Same here. I tried different things but no joy. I don't think we can do anything about this. It's up to the devs to clean up the mess what they done again. Its a shame they dropped the mac support, we found a way for playing the game on mac and now thats f... up as well. As a lifetime sub-er i'm a bit annoyed.
    edited October 2016
    I have PlayOnMac working after switching to Wine version 1.6 thanks to the folks who suggested it in the "STO no longer runs on Wine" thread in the STO General Discussion forum. For what it's worth here's the details for those more knowledgeable than me to decipher, but it seems it was V1.6 that made the difference...

~ changed Windows version to Windows 7 under POM config window --> wine --> configure wine.
    ~ changed Wine to V 1.6 under POM config window --> general. The wine download also asked if I wanted to download & install XQuartz which I did and is running while playing STO.
    ~ checked vRam amount under POM config window --> Display
    ~ started game in safe mode, no -d3d9 flag.

All in-game graphics settings are at a minimum but the world/terrain/character distance are at low, running DX9ex, with post processing. Am sure a newer Mac could do better. Video ram in POM and in-game chosen to match my card. Unfortunately /showfps 1 isn't available right now so no fps figure for you. No graphics issues, reasonably stable, but am unable to select full screen or windows maximized without crashing so have to do an old fashioned lower right hand corner window drag to get a full screen. Getting a proper full screen via settings would be nice but this is a step in the right direction.

(Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, twin core i7, GT330M discrete graphics with 512MB vRAM running 10.9.5)

Edit: successfully got a native full screen mode via selecting full screen mode in XQuartz before booting game. Tbh, what I'd really like to know is if XQuartz is really needed at all.
    Post edited by protoneous on
  • collossustitancollossustitan Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Wait, how do you switch wine versions on playonmac?
    edited October 2016
    Wait, how do you switch wine versions on playonmac?

From the PlayOnMac window click on configure button shaped like a gear then highlight your STO install to the left. This brings up the POM configuration window. Click on the general tab in the horizontal top row of buttons, you'll see your Wine version listed with a + sign to it's right. Click on the + to select and install another version of Wine. It bring up a list of versions in a separate window to choose from. After installing additional versions of wine you can select the version you want to use from the drop down box.

You can also select the Wine button from the same top row and then click on the configure wine box. In the separate window this brings up click on the "applications" tab, change Windows version to Windows 7. Click on "about" to confirm your Wine version.

Even more... click on the Display button on the top row and select your video ram amount which should be the same as your video card, some seem to also select GLSL and openGL in the same window, unsure if this makes any difference than leaving them at default.
    Post edited by protoneous on
    It really makes me wonder what the issue really was as I'm now in-game via POM with the latest and previously used Wine version 1.9.10-staging without any issues (everything seems just like the pre Oct 25 patch) and am no longer using XQuartz that came with V1.6 for my windowing. Seems like V1.6 opened the door, but everything is back to normal now, even though I followed all the outlined steps aside from using 1.6 previously.
    Thank you for the PlayOnMac and Wine 1.6 updates!

Would love a way to get Wine 1.6 into Wineskin. I gather they have to generate a new 'engine'for it? If not I may just install wine 1.6 manually and run off my wineskin STO folder.

Cheers,
  • nightnerdynightnerdy Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    You can, just open your wineskin winery hit + and add WS9Wine1.6.2. Then go into your STO Wineskin and under Advanced > Tools > Change Engine Used, select WS9Wine1.6.2. I just now confirmed that it does, indeed, work.
  • andarragh21andarragh21 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Ok, so what am I doing wrong that I can't even get the configuration window to pop up in POM when I go to 1.6.2?
    edited October 2016
    edit fix: A wrapper refresh for me was not enough, I pulled out the ' Star Trek online' directory , did a -rebuild- wrapper and put the directory back in and run launcher with safe mode checked, fixed! Thanks for the 1.6.2 tip

Thank you Nightnerdy! Could you perhaps give me a hand?

I have switched to WS9Wine1.6.2 and refreshed the wrapper.

However I am getting a crash still, could you let me know what you have checked in the Options tab and the Screen options?

I have ' Force use of wrappers quartz-vm....' in the options tab

and ' Use mac driver instead of x11' and ' auto detect' checked in the screen options.

Running on a late 2013 mac with 10.10.5 .

Thanks!
  • ch33soch33so Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Can confirm switching to Wine 1.6.2 works for Play on Linux as well. Set Wine to Windows 7 in Wine config.
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • nightnerdynightnerdy Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    void, I also have force XQuartz instead of WineskinX11. Other than that, I match yours.

Running on Early 2013 with 10.12.1
  • potyike111potyike111 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Thanks protoneous!

That 1.6 trick worked for me.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    I am still getting a crash even using 1.6. Do you start the launcher after patching or wait for PAM to finish. It appears to be running but never finishes
    Update: I can get in and play a reasonable amount of time but I am getting more crashes on this setup than I get on my PC, and this is not the (fixable) map change crash. It seems to be somehow graphical related. Seems to happen when I am opening up screens like inventory etc...

Trying to isolate what setting could help...

Cheers,
  • wypreachermanwypreacherman Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Ok, I've tried changing the wine version on POM to the following: 1.9.10-staging, 1.6.2, and 1.6 and the same thing happens: once I get the black Cryptic screen, it crashes. It's set for Windows 7 and I'm at a loss. I was using Crossover before and everything was fine until the October update. I know Crossover made it into Win XP so I guess I could install it via Win 7, but Crossover says it's not supported for Win 7. Can anyone help me out here? I would very much like to get back playing the game.