test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reman Shields Visuals change ??

Tonight was the first time I logged in after the visuals update and I liked it at first. Even with my Win 8 computer I noticed the picture had more crispness to it. Then I got to one of my characters that has a Remen Adv. Prototype Shield equipped on their ship. It normally has a visual of dark green with a tad of black in it (u know the one that's been around forever). Now it is very light green with sum white in it. I also noticed at Starfleet Academy the sky is grey, like a storm is coming. Not the nice blue it was before the update. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get the visuals back to how they were. The option to turn off Lighting 2.0 is greyed out on my computer so that's not even on. Upon looking at my display and graphics settings, nothing looked like it was changed. My resolution scale is where it has always been. I adjusted bloom to no effect. I even adjusted reflection quality and there was no change from high (which I normally am on) to low and when I turn that off it actually gives me the correct visual on my Remen Shield however I have absolutely no reflection at all, which u normally have some on that visual. So I am stumped. Sorry if I am babbling, don't leave messages that often but I worked on the settings for a while and nothing worked. Tried everything I could find on the boards. Hoping this isn't the new norm for the visual for that shield. Hard enough to find a ship it looks good on...worse now that the visuals have become a lot lighter. Is anybody else having this problem with the Remen Shields and discovered a solution ? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best Answer

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    I noticed this as well...but, the chrome-ness is growing on me. I must say, but it certainly was a bit of a shock when I first saw it in game.
    But that doesn't help the people who preferred the darker color. Which I still like quite a bit to be honest.

I like plaztik's suggestion, but I think maybe that specific dark color we had prior may not be achievable again, due to the lighting change.
    The base color of the texture might be the issue, and both shields originally used that dark/black semi reflective color, so maybe we wont be able to get that look again. Unless they slap a new base coat on one of the shields.
    One that is "flater" in color contrast.

Anyway, would be nice if they could do it, then we'd have a flat black version, and the chrome-ness of the other. More options are always good.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

Answers

• Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    I was just about to ask the same question though. I really liked the old dark visual but now it's all chrome or mirror like, at highest reflection settings. My suggestion would be to keep the old visual on the shield which can be obtained at the mission, and put the new visual on the one from the romulan reputation... Or vise versa ;)
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    I would just love to have an option for the Reman shield appearance. I LOVE the chrome look. Now if it can be almost a mirror polish, I would make love to the shields. I think the Reman shields being chrome is one of the best things to happen.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Those are nice shields for visual appearance purposes. I didn't experience the issue that was posted after the patch however. Just so you know, the hull essentially becomes a mirror of the environment that you're in. Most of the time, we're in space that's dark...so the hull will look predominately dark/black with the green/blue highlights in specific areas. However, if you take your ship, for example, to the Badlands in the Alpha Quadrant, your ship will look golden because of all the fiery plasma storms. Your hull essentially becomes a mirror of its environment.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's not really a change to the shield, it's a weird reflection issue. It looks the same as it always did if you're not using the new lighting.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The ship turning all white/chrome is a reflection problem. You can fix it by turning off the reflection in the graphics settings.
  • Options
    discoricediscorice Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    see that's weird because the new lighting is greyed out for me, but the reman shields still have the new reflective look. in fact my graphics settings are almost entirely at their lowest possible.

No matter how bad the rest of the game looks around me, my ship is always rendered in super high detail, and I can't seem to get away from constant screen blackouts. The game keeps running around me, but the screen is completely black.

anyone have any helpful suggestions?
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    The ship turning all white/chrome is a reflection problem. You can fix it by turning off the reflection in the graphics settings.

If it's a reflection problem, then I don't want it fixed. I actually like it. That is one issue that needs to be an option. Myself, and plenty of others love the look.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    My reman shields looks the same, except for shinier. The sun bounces of it it nicely.
  • Options
    jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »

If it's a reflection problem, then I don't want it fixed. I actually like it. That is one issue that needs to be an option. Myself, and plenty of others love the look.

• Options
    jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Actually after using a ship with the Reman shield on it for a couple of hours I am starting to like the new look/reflection. Its grown on me. Its kinda like a totally new skin. If you turn the reflections tab to off it gives u back the almost original look but with zero reflections which Is kinda dullish. I also noticed on other ships and shields the reflections seem to be kicked up a notch with the new lighting system. I have always had my setting on reflections on high and have adjusted them to low which still seems to have stronger reflections than the old high setting before the lighting update. But I like reflections so I will have to just get used to it. On my computer the Lighting 2.0 is grayed out so that isn't a factor, though it seems the update does somewhat affect those who do not have the Lighting 2.0 available to them. Oh well, I just wanted to see if others had noticed it or if it was just me and my non-gaming computer. Thanks
  • Options
    BTW, I'm running the game with the highest graphics settings with lighting 2.0 turned off. Only because the lighting 2.0 makes my game look dated and old with all the jaggies and pixelated. Without Lighting 2.0, I seems to get smoother and crisper detail and the colors are more vibrant and no longer washed out. Plus isn't the Romulan lifetime veteran skin white? If so, my Faeht Intel warbird has the look of the veteran skin. I'm McLovin' it. DON'T CHANGE IT DEVS, PLEASE.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    They have always been a bit reflective, it's just the old lighting didn't show it to good, you had to get up close to the hull plating to see it, with the new system every bit of color in the system maps and every light source is being reflected back.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I am finding on my Na'kuhl Battle-cruiser it makes it somewhat of a darker metallic red color of the base color of the ship compared to giving it a metallic black color like pre-patch, though it still has the green areas like the older version of the shield had.
  • Options

Whatever floats your boat.

I turned it off in about 15 seconds after my previously cool black Fed intel cruiser had suddenly turned into a clone of the ridiculous all-chrome ship from Star Wars episode 1.
  • Options

I turned it off in about 15 seconds after my previously cool black Fed intel cruiser had suddenly turned into a clone of the ridiculous all-chrome ship from Star Wars episode 1.

All chrome paint in space is a damn good way to hide your ship visually. Considering the only things you would truly see in space are the lights. But if your ship has a either chrome or mirror polish, it would reflect the stars instead of a shape that blocks out stars. Best test is place a toy starship in a dark box with simulated stars and look around in it, then try it with a chromed/mirrored ship. The chrome/mirrored ship would visually blend in to the background.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User

All chrome paint in space is a damn good way to hide your ship visually. Considering the only things you would truly see in space are the lights. But if your ship has a either chrome or mirror polish, it would reflect the stars instead of a shape that blocks out stars. Best test is place a toy starship in a dark box with simulated stars and look around in it, then try it with a chromed/mirrored ship. The chrome/mirrored ship would visually blend in to the background.

Until someone comes along and wonders why there's an exact mirror of their ship approaching them when it's the reflection of their ship on yours. I saw it in an eighties cartoon once...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options

Only in deep space (where distant stars would be the only thing reflected in it) and only if both ship and observer were motionless.
  • Options

Until someone comes along and wonders why there's an exact mirror of their ship approaching them when it's the reflection of their ship on yours. I saw it in an eighties cartoon once...
    that was Dragonball Z...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2016

that was Dragonball Z...

Was it? I thought I had seen it on something else... Huh.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options

that was Dragonball Z...
    Was it? I thought I had seen it on something else... Huh.
    It might have been on more than one TV show. http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror_spaceship
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    After reading about this in this thread I mounted the mission reward Reman prototype Shield in the visual section of my vengeance.

With the new lighting it appears dark and green.

With the new lighting turned off it sometimes has that Chrome appearance and sometimes has slightly less of a chrome appearance and more greener.

In the Badlands it didn't pull up any Reflections whatsoever just remained Chrome and shiny?

This is a mark XI currently. I'm waiting for some more dilithium to continue to advance it to a mark XII. Will this change the appearance of the ship it's mounted on? I'm under the impression that this will advance it to an advanced prototype Reman Shield, the same as the one you get from the reputation.
  • Options
    You actually don't even need to upgrade it for that; just right-clicking it and selecting upgrade will change it from the Prototype to Advanced Prototype version. Same as with hitting level fifty and doing it to 'mark infinity' items ('Ghostbuster Gun', Bajoran Phasers, etc.) will change them to Mk XII upgradable versions.
  • Options
    Oh then I must already be there I'll have to check it tonight but I've already put a couple of upgrade levels on it until I ran out of dilithium.
  • Options
    Okay The Shield is an advanced prototype Mark 12 now.

the most interesting thing I found is when in Sol system if I select the status window I get the Chrome effect When I close the status window the ship goes back to a more green effect opening the status window resumes the Chrome effect and closing it turns it back to green?