test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Breaking: How many crashing thanks to the update?

dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
So far, can't play any STFs At All(already made my graphics adjustments to custom medium). Crashes right after start. Seems to happen in space social areas as well. My 2011 i3 laptop is Fully Optimized...not now I guess. More to follow

Comments

• arkyboyarkyboy Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    I have a 2010 i5 laptop, I've been playing STO & been a lifetime member for over 6 years & I've never had any issue playing this game until the pre-patching for this update started. Now when I log on, within 30 secs the game either locks up or goes black screen or does both & crashes. Completely unplayable for me. I'm calling BULL$**T on this one!!!!
    [img][/img]Screenshot%2067_zps8ijfhubt.png
  • dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    Yep, THIS SUCKS!!!
  • exosstyrbjoernexosstyrbjoern Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Here too, first no letters, fixed it with starting in safe mode, loaded another char, again no letters, now every 2 out of 3 map changes or char changes result in a freeze, waited for 10 minutes, still frozen, had to shut down the game client, which is really annoying when it happends occasionally, but with nearly every map change?
    For a playthrough of the new episode on one single char + doffing on my other chars it took me 40 restarts!!!

P.S: Things I noticed:
    it doesn't matter if safe mode is on or not
    it doesnt matter if the new lighting is on or not
    freezes happening most of the time at 93%

Edit:
    it doesn't matter if dx 11 or dx9 is selected
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    If your game won't load no matter what you do you have two options. One you will like if you can pull it off, and one you'll hate, specially if you're on a data cap.

1) Copy the game folder from a computer where it works into the folder it lives on now replacing everything.
    2) Delete the Live folder, start the launcher, and download the whole thing again.

I had to do 2 once because of a situation like the one you are having. Now I have a backup on a laptop I keep connected to my TV, but don't use for playing anymore. I update that STO copy once a month and with new releases.
    Thought about that too, but for me it is usually one of the last things I try....
    on Tribble it was working fine for me before the launch :(
  • samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I can't even play at all. No loading screen, nothing. Engage and gone. Not even safe made or forcing DX9.
  • lightkeeplightkeep Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Crashes on Cryptic loading screen.
  • angeliscarangeliscar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    After the cryptic loading screen i just get a black screen, I can hear the music but thats it
  • iscalpu4fun321iscalpu4fun321 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    black screen of death.....crash. was working good 2 hrs before update. changed settings, safe mode, verified files...nothing works to fix this for me.
    edited October 2016
    Cryptic: We told you guys to use the newest Alienware...
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Same issue. Crashes to black screen with graphics driver failure. I've tried forcing to DX9 and safe mode with no luck for either in any combination
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
    lucho80 wrote: »
    If your game won't load no matter what you do you have two options. One you will like if you can pull it off, and one you'll hate, specially if you're on a data cap.

1) Copy the game folder from a computer where it works into the folder it lives on now replacing everything.
    2) Delete the Live folder, start the launcher, and download the whole thing again.

I had to do 2 once because of a situation like the one you are having. Now I have a backup on a laptop I keep connected to my TV, but don't use for playing anymore. I update that STO copy once a month and with new releases.

Although i stated my reluctance toward this solution earlier, I gave it a try, since I still had to check civ6 out anyways. What can I say, it fixed everything, I had text, I had all the graphic settings I want, no need to run it in safe mode and most important: no more freezes :)

• soidutssoiduts Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    tm706 wrote: »
    Same issue. Crashes to black screen with graphics driver failure. I've tried forcing to DX9 and safe mode with no luck for either in any combination
    Having the same issue. Play for like a few minutes and then the game crashes with driver issue. Doesn't matter if I lower all the graphics settings to off/min, dx9, dx11, no setting seems to fix the crashing. Have Intel GPU with Windows 10.
  • yunishiki#7588 yunishiki Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @exosstyrbjoern said:
    > Here too, first no letters, fixed it with starting in safe mode, loaded another char, again no letters, now every 2 out of 3 map changes or char changes result in a freeze, waited for 10 minutes, still frozen, had to shut down the game client, which is really annoying when it happends occasionally, but with nearly every map change?
    > For a playthrough of the new episode on one single char + doffing on my other chars it took me 40 restarts!!!
    >
    > P.S: Things I noticed:
    > it doesn't matter if safe mode is on or not
    > it doesnt matter if the new lighting is on or not
    > freezes happening most of the time at 93%
    >
    > Edit:
    > it doesn't matter if dx 11 or dx9 is selected

Yea mine does the same thing. Can get to login screen, go into game and then it just goes black, comes back on, goes black, then crashes. I have Intel HD Graphics, it was working before the update on 10/25/16 and after the update it doesn't. I love playing this game and now im really bummed out about it. So Cryptic, please please fix this or your gonna lose a good player.
  • robobigtimerobobigtime Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I keep hanging when I try and zone in for my quest. Sucks. And I just started playing again after taking the Summer off. Now I remember why.
  • norcaler2norcaler2 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Is everyone who's having this issue running it with DX11? I've noticed this too since the text issue with DX9 forced me to go with 11.
  • xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    ran the kitchen sink troubleshooting list to fix the crash bug. no dice. count me among the brotherhood!......now where's my free t-shirt..I was told I'd get a free t-shirt.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
    edited October 2016
    Free T-shirt coming next Tuesday along with the fix...
    Post edited by dragonhef01 on
    I've posted the crash log entry in the Gameplay Bug section. Seems to be the same thing over and over.
  • patch#0682 patch Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Here too, first no letters, fixed it with starting in safe mode, loaded another char, again no letters, now every 2 out of 3 map changes or char changes result in a freeze, waited for 10 minutes, still frozen, had to shut down the game client, which is really annoying when it happends occasionally, but with nearly every map change?
    For a playthrough of the new episode on one single char + doffing on my other chars it took me 40 restarts!!!

P.S: Things I noticed:
    it doesn't matter if safe mode is on or not
    it doesnt matter if the new lighting is on or not
    freezes happening most of the time at 93%

Edit:
    it doesn't matter if dx 11 or dx9 is selected

Exactly the same for me, I just gave up after spending all night with freezes and no gameplay time, it was bad enough yesterday spending hours with the update crashing several time then hours sorting the graphics and now this. Cryptic need to seriously learn what the phrase 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' means because all these damned updates just TRIBBLE things up more and more.
    Perhaps Cryptic consider players to be an annoyance instead of their bread and butter, something they need to think about because without us, they lose everything !
  • patch#0682 patch Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »

How about option 3 : Cryptic fix what they have screwed up instead of expecting everyone to TRIBBLE about with option 1 or 2 ?
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Still no joy for me, after the update. I still get driver crashes and flickering on the screen .
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • sorvikcorsairsorvikcorsair Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    So nice for this to happen during a double dilithium weekend. This is bull, need to extend the event and fix the game!
    The Wild Bunch - The House of Souless

Sorvik Corsair : KDF Reman Engineer
    Ev'leen Girosh: 6th Trill Host to the Girosh Symbiot. KDF Tactical Commando
    TWB KDF Division XO
  • truecreamytruecreamy Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    If you can get in game, options - advanced - reduce file streaming
    Pegasus Command FED/KDF
    Thanks, already run that ^^
  • lighthawkusalighthawkusa Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'm having the same problem. I have a Radeon HD 6770M with the latest drivers but every few minutes the game crashes, sometmes at startup, sometimes in-game. "Fatal error: Direct 3D driver returned error code (DDXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while Presenting. Reason: 0x887a0007 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET)" no matter how low my graphics settings are. Never hadthis problem until the STO graphics update.
    Shut off reflections and turn off dynamic lighting. Then set the lighting and shadow quality to low. There's more tips in my other discussion that's around here. Good luck
  • sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I'm having the same problem. I have a Radeon HD 6770M with the latest drivers but every few minutes the game crashes, sometmes at startup, sometimes in-game. "Fatal error: Direct 3D driver returned error code (DDXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while Presenting. Reason: 0x887a0007 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET)" no matter how low my graphics settings are. Never hadthis problem until the STO graphics update.

There's an interesting pattern. A number of people I've talked to who have been having black screen and/or crashing issues have been using Radeon GPU's. I wonder if maybe that's part of the issue.

I'm using an nvidia GPU, haven't had crashes since delta rising.
    1xe027q.png
    edited November 2016
    There's an interesting pattern. A number of people I've talked to who have been having black screen and/or crashing issues have been using Radeon GPU's. I wonder if maybe that's part of the issue.

I'm using an nvidia GPU, haven't had crashes since delta rising.

Are you using an AMD chip? When Cryptic says STO is "Enhanced" for Intel, I don't think they're kidding.
  • kevinmarf87kevinmarf87 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    If it's supposedly "Enhanced" for Intel, then Enhanced must mean UNAVAILABLE to them! I'm having the same issue on Pentium P6200 with integrated Intel HD Graphics. Crashes within a few minutes with all settings at Low imcluding Bloom and Lighting.