test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher fails to Launch the Game (no more runs on xp)

Game launcher is not launching the game.
After logging in on launcher and pressing the Engage button, launcher closes and does not launch the game. This never happened before the last patch.
I tried force verify option did not work after verifying.
I tried fast launch did not work.
Restarted pc turned off AV, did not work.
Server is green.

What else I can do?
Post edited by exedusomni on

Comments

• adshadowadshadow Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    same thing with me :(
  • chroma01chroma01 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Here's the error I'm getting if I try to run GameClient.exe directly:

GameClient.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetFileInformationByHandleEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I've already run sfc /scannow to no avail.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    Yeah, the game won't launch anymore. Worked fine before today's patch. I've tried verifying, using Safe Mode, restarting, and it just won't work. I've tried running the exe file, but it gives me an error about GetFileInformationByHandleEx in KERNEL32.dll library.
    PyKDqad.jpg
    i tried that as well. im running a duel boot pc just updating the game on the my other OS for a quick test, the game was running great before this patch
  • chroma01chroma01 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    And I tried to submit the error:

Initializing...
    Communicating with Cryptic Error Tracker...
    ERROR: Failed to talk to ErrorTracker.

*LAUGH*
  • funderdogfunderdog Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    same here on my alt acct, running XP, AMD vid card,
    my client server log
    161025 07:00:56 300 Client[0 [NOENT]]: LoginServer link attempting connect: 208.95.186.13:7001
    161025 07:05:09 301 Client[0 [NOENT]]: LoginServer link disconnected (208.95.186.13:7001). Reason: socket was shutdown:linkQueueRemove(0:No error) (socket error 0: No error)
    161025 07:05:09 302 Client[0 [NOENT]]: GameServer link attempting connect to clientMultiplexer (208.95.186.43:7011).

crash log
    161025 07:26:36 303 Client[0 P[7810742@15750339 TRIBBLE@xxxx]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()

shutdownlog
    61025 07:26:36 304 Client[0 P[7810742@15750339 TRIBBLE@xxxx]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
  • southerlanddosoutherlanddo Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Same problem here, it seems there is always some kind of problem any time they do a big patch.Its getting to where I dread any large update,cause I have to jump thru hoops just to be able to play the game.
  • exedusomniexedusomni Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Running XP, GTX 560 SE, some ppl on forums say it does not work on XP, is this the case? will there be a patch coming about this or should we buy a new OS? This is not a bug report like "eyes popping out on characters", I just can't play the game.

How often the dev's look on the threads written here, I don't want to wait months until there is a resonse.. anything would be great, like "we are looking into it" or be sincere and say "this is a minor group of people we have more pressing matters in our hands" so I'll take an action.
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    exedusomni wrote: »
    Running XP, GTX 560 SE, some ppl on forums say it does not work on XP, is this the case? will there be a patch coming about this or should we buy a new OS? This is not a bug report like "eyes popping out on characters", I just can't play the game.

How often the dev's look on the threads written here, I don't want to wait months until there is a resonse.. anything would be great, like "we are looking into it" or be sincere and say "this is a minor group of people we have more pressing matters in our hands" so I'll take an action.

Well if what the OP in this thread mentioned, it looks like STO is no longer XP compatible. And if that is the case, I'm screwed as well.
    I'm also running a XP machine. And I don't have the resources to upgrade.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
    Yeah, XP seems to be the issue. I'd really like to know if this will get resolved, or Cryptic just abandoned the support for XP without any notice. The ARC system requirements do not mention XP anymore, but Steam's page still does.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • richard1279richard1279 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Same issue here. Out of curiosity, has anyone sent in a support ticket on this issue? And if so, have you received a reply?
    No I have not, good call, will do now.
  • aranhiamaranhiam Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I had the same issue yesterday! I downloaded 80% of nearly 9k info when the gamelauncher crashed with a note that it encountered a fail in the download (it wasn't saying what the failure was) but anyways it closed the game.
    Than I started up the gamelauncher again it downloaded 1k of info and it was ready. I pressed "Engage" and launcher just closed itself. I read on one other forum that it is possible that the "KERNEL32.dll" is causing all of this problems dew to the fact that XP inst supported anymore and prolly so is the support for XP for STO. (Which I strongly hope not)
    Cuz I mean yesterday before the update the game was running perfectly... :^/
    Before asking I did several try on game verification all checked out well I did safe mod and fast launch to no avail.
    I do hope that the XP support isn't discontinued and this is just one of the mil problems which usually pop-up with "New Content" from PerfectWorld and Arc.
    Received a response after the ticket, very fast response, thank you for that. Here I am posting for xp owners.
    "
    Hello,

Unfortunately we are no longer able to offer support for Windows XP systems. While we haven't intentionally upped the minimum requirements to exclude Win XP, some of the recent additions and improvements we've made to the game incorporate technologies that Win XP is incapable of. You can try manually lowering the game settings as much as possible which might allow you to play.

Windows XP is an extremely old operating system, first released in 2001. Microsoft stopped updating the OS in 2009, and officially stopped support for it in 2014. Hardware manufacturers also stopped updating their software for XP around the same time. It's because of this lack of updates that the operating system itself may not be able to handle the updated technology that our games are incorporating.

Regards,
    Tek
    Senior Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment
    "
  • tifosi#8203 tifosi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    write in Japanese
    やっぱりupdateでwindows XPは使えなくなったのか。
    new pc を購入するしかないですね。
  • aetjeaetje Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Tip: Windows XP 64 bit edition -should- work if you have a 64 bit capable computer and are willing to reinstall using that OS. XP64 uses the Server 2003 kernel which does have the entry points that the game is asking for. I haven't fully tested this, but I remember a similar issue with the ARC client a few months back - people were complaining it wouldn't run on XP but on my XP64 system, stuff worked fine.

But yea, XP32 is an older OS. Eventually, support is cut for those systems.
  • patcrowpatcrow Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I'm getting the same problem. Won't go.
  • demilich33demilich33 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    So.....u-me-anyelse using an XP Os, cant play STO?? And STO constraint ME, buying a new OS?????? ur mom STO!!!
    Unacceptable...

I buy Zen, not small qty...
    And i cant play before a new patch????????

WTF???????????????
  • duurduur Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    yup, it seems the choose the easy way out.... Haven't seen a warning, announcement etc...
    in the mean time they dropped the vista support too, upped the CPU stats etc...
    (it ran on an early atom, not playable but worked just well enough to do the doffing etc)
    but on win7 32 bit also just a crashing launcher...

easywayout.jpg

• demilich33demilich33 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    So i just say that: Fck U Dev team.
    U lose lot of player like Blizzard... GRAT!!!!!!!!
    from the release notes, Resolved an issue where Star Trek Online would not load for players playing with a Windows XP OS.
  • nazree#7490 nazree Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Happening again today for me after the latest update. Its only Star Trek - Neverwinter plays just fine
  • aurethilaurethil Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I have win 7 32bits, not working for me either.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's alive! (it started working again)
    Post edited by aurethil on
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
  • smugsuksmugsuk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Well that joy was short lived. After downloading the latest patch I managed to get into the game and play for 15 minutes.

Unfortunately now when I try to log in and play the game again it crashes at the loading screen every time. I've tried verifying the files and loading in safe mode, but it always crashes at the same point during the Cryptic loading screen.
  • sophia#6343 sophia Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I'm having the same problem. I have Windows 7.
    The game goes to the "Agents of Yesterday" window and hangs on loading. :(
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
  • zeromuppetzeromuppet Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I'm on Windows 10 and having the same problem. After clicking Engage, the launcher sits there saying it's connecting to the account server for a few seconds then disappears and nothing else happens.
    For those who managed to launch the game once, and then it keeps crashing, try deleting "cache" folder from your "live" game directory. It that doesn't help, delete ".patch" and "prepatch" folders as well.

It may not work for you, but in my case after deleting the folders I'm able to launch the game again. That said, I have to delete these folders every time only to launch the game, because they're created anew the moment you start the game.

Furthermore, the game runs like sh*t now. I mean, it was running very poorly for some time now, but as it is, it freezes a lot, the textures sometimes take their time to load, and it crashes way more than it used to.

I'll be changing my rig in several months anyway, but as it is the game is basically unplayable on XP. Although from what I read people on other OS also experience serious issues.
    PyKDqad.jpg