Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    I find Foxtrot more elegant...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Echo
    I pretty much don't even CARE what Echo is supposed to be ... because it is clearly NOT meant to be a starship in the tradition of Star Trek.
    You're exactly right.

It's a starship built by the new kids on the block. The Lukari are not part of Star Trek tradition, they are something new. Their ships do not look like the other races' ships for the simple reason that they are not the other races' ships.

You're not thinking this through are you? That's like saying that for their first effort at making drinking straws, the Lukari don't start with this ...

red-blue-stripes-white-straight-drinking-straw.jpg

... and instead skip straight to this ...

B1083497742.jpg

... because, and I quote for emphasis ...
    It's a starship built by the new kids on the block. The Lukari are not part of Star Trek tradition, they are something new. Their ships do not look like the other races' ships for the simple reason that they are not the other races' ships.

Look, I can buy that Lukari design aesthetics will yield a ship shape that is relatively new compared to everything that has gone before (Starfleet, KDF, Empire, Republic, Dominion, etc. etc. etc.). What I'm NOT buying is that the Lukari aesthetic is going to be so radically far "off the beaten track" that it is completely without precedent or even have any correlation to "what has come before" in the entire Star Trek franchise. They aren't doing this "whole cloth new" after all, they're being given technical support by the major powers that already have working tech, meaning this isn't a "clean sheet of paper" exercise for the Lukari.

Yes, this is a "new race" building their first warp capable ship. But they should be building something BASIC as opposed to RADICAL so as to "learn the ropes" (so to speak) of ship building ... and operations and maintenance and all of the other various and sundry concerns that go into actually OWNING a starship. They need to be building something they can LEARN from, rather than skipping over all the steps of getting to the "Final Hawtness" on their first try.

Again, I don't have a problem with the Lukari eventually EVOLVING their ship design in a direction consistent with Echo over iterations of design and discovery. What I sincerely doubt is that they'd design something like that right out of the gate as their FIRST warp capable starship.

Or to put it another way ... they need to learn to walk before they try to run (with ship design). The Lukari need to build something they can SUPPORT and PRODUCE ... not merely something that "looks cool" on TV (or in a game like STO).

Foxtrot is no more of a basic design than Echo. I'd even say that Echo is simpler, being a basic curve, rather than a rather complicated geometrical form.

Plus, Foxtrot's just the bladed end of a Lirpa.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Echo without a doubt is the best, in fact I'd suggest it's the best of all 6. My only quibble is that rather than the point of the crescent flying forward I think it should be the arms with the point facing back. If that's not clear, instead of <- C with the arrow being the standard direction of travel I think it should be C -> Yes that would mean the Son'a ships are flying backward but ... :smiley:

Foxtrot looks less like a spaceship and more like a floating city. Use it for a spacestation if you must, but don't use it as a ship.
    preiko wrote: »
    We need the Son'a Space Bat'leths in Star Trek Online

son_a_battle_cruiser_ortho_by_unusualsuspex-d7hu6i5.jpg

moving Son'a Ships at 2:30 and 4:15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOtf5Yq39Y&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=2m30s

• alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    Team Echo
    I have to say that none of the designs looks perfect to me, except for the perfect UFO shape of Charlie which I'm unsure would fit in STO.

However most of all are good enough that I wish to see them all ingame so voting has not been so easy, I still don't have a favourite to vote at the final round from the winners.

But at this turn I find Echo more consistent.

First, I like the crescent shape a lot.

Last, every Foxtrot supporter claims Echo is not enough original but I can't help but think that Foxtrot is the most similar design of all to what we already have in game with saucer sections

and to me it looks like the child of a joint venture between Federation and Cardassians.

It's not it's ugly or I don't like it, in fact it's among the ones I'd like to see ingame (I'd like all but one) but not at the cost of discarding Echo that seems better to me.

Sorry for the lenght, I hope the art team will find the feedback helpful.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Batarang !
  • senshibat01senshibat01 Member Posts: 11,249 Arc User
    Team Echo
    the Foxbat ^-^ ur Trot ms Trendy [were you a majorette?]
    allow us to apprentice
    pikachu-leek-spin-o.gif
    e81d2f2c7ce74e61cba28154fcac4cc2.jpg
    Tsuki ni Kawatte Oshioki Yo
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Foxtrot's design is inconsistent. Downward sloping ends from a top-view but slightly upward ends from a straight-forward view?

If the points were pointing slightly upwards but heavily backwards (or is that forwards?) it would work for both pictures.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Team echo ..echo ...echo...
    1kltX02.jpg
  • ncc1701z5ncc1701z5 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Team Echo
    I like echo 'cuase it looks menacing, TAC-basied, and just plain cool :smiley:
    "Saving the galaxy's our business"

Admiral Wilkens: "I bend our rules so folks don't have to live in fear strictly obeying someone else's".

• daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    For engineers and designers , usualy lesser visible joints
    indicates more advanced manufactoring technology

Teamecho seems slightly less advanced in fabrication/assembly technology,
    It is clearly visible made from multiple seperate parts

Teamfoxtrot seem to be made from of larger parts or better assembly technology

I really dont think it should look too advanced, an early warpship should look more functional and less something fancy
    but usualy the plebs think otherwise.

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    I just hope Charlie the flying saucer wins in the end. STO has about 400 ships so why not add the most recognized classic spacecraft shaped ship ever known.
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • hamishmacdoogalhamishmacdoogal Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    I had to go with Foxtrot for consistency sake.
    We chose Alpha because it was triangular. We chose Delta because it was a saucer. Foxtrot is a saucer with triangular bits.
    Unfortunately, it DOES look like a conference phone. So either the Lukari are planning to be the switchboard of the galaxy, your conference phone is about to get a major alliance upgrade or the Lukari design committee had no ideas and did what committees do best: compromise and plagiarize.
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    Team Echo
    #teamecho because I want a Sona' Battleship!
  • hamishmacdoogalhamishmacdoogal Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    afaern wrote: »
    Why is it that all three of these votes seem to have gone to the ship on the left?

As Gandalf once said" When in doubt, choose the path to the left."
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    Team foxtrot in this case. Btw, the discussion somewhat reminded me of the exchange between Tom Paris and Tuvok while designing the delta flyer (One was like "Let's make it cool, so that aliens know we mean business" and the other was like "Let's just go with something efficient"). I can totally see the Lukari arguing the same viewpoints, and it would be cool if Tom Paris remembered this during the next STOry chapter.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Team Echo
    All of the team echo :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Team Echo
    I think the So'na wannabe ship could look pretty badass with the correct color scheme and details.
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • rpenrodrpenrod Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    Echo = Son'a, don't like them, don't like the design either. Foxtrot = Flight of the Navigator, one of my all time favorite movies. Foxtrot it is. ;)
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    Foxtrot!
  • cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    I am starting to wonder how many real Trekkers are really playing the game anymore...or how many Devs are trekkers even. These ships look like they were created by Fantasy MMO Devs IMO.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Team Echo
    btw since some people seem to have missed/forgotten it swalldev posted a pic reminding us how these things fly
    k3gdfyH.jpg

so... inb4 the 'my ship is bacwards!' posts

I still want Bravo over all the rest.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • gregoryt#9489 gregoryt Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    I vote Team Foxtrot
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Echo without a doubt is the best, in fact I'd suggest it's the best of all 6. My only quibble is that rather than the point of the crescent flying forward I think it should be the arms with the point facing back. If that's not clear, instead of <- C with the arrow being the standard direction of travel I think it should be C -> Yes that would mean the Son'a ships are flying backward but ... :smiley:

Foxtrot looks less like a spaceship and more like a floating city. Use it for a spacestation if you must, but don't use it as a ship.
    preiko wrote: »
    We need the Son'a Space Bat'leths in Star Trek Online

son_a_battle_cruiser_ortho_by_unusualsuspex-d7hu6i5.jpg

moving Son'a Ships at 2:30 and 4:15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOtf5Yq39Y&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=2m30s

Actually according to John Eaves the designer in the Art of First Contact and Insurrection, the Sona ships were meant to fly Forward Swept Wings. They flipped it later.
    I just hope Charlie the flying saucer wins in the end. STO has about 400 ships so why not add the most recognized classic spacecraft shaped ship ever known.

BECAUSE it's the most recognizable spacecraft shape ever known.

Besides considering Earth history, Human captains should open fire on any saucer shaped spacecraft they come across.

Conversely, since the beginning humans have been the ones flying the Flying Saucers therefore the Lukari are NOT in fact be original fielding one.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    Echo looks like a Romulan ship! So NO to Echo!
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Team Foxtrot
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Echo looks like a Romulan ship! So NO to Echo!

Have to agree about the similarity to romulan design,
    foxtrot is a much more elegant and dynamic design and reminds me of the alien craft in flight of the navigator..
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Echo
    "With all respect, Doctor, I'm counting on Excelsior." - Sulu

Personally, I'd like to see Alpha get it when this is over. We'll see though. It looks to be the most "logical" design for a race getting its feet wet, as it were, in space. The design is simple and angular... for the most part, not curved like more advanced ship designs.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Echo
    Echo looks a bit like the Sona Battleship from Star Trek Insurrection: http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/23/22671/sona-battleship.png

However I would've been more likely to pick foxtrot over delta, but I am more for Echo for the more unique design.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Both are pretty ugly. I will pick the lesser of the two uglies.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Flying wing design
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • garabaldegarabalde Member Posts: 18 Arc User
      Team Foxtrot
      Team Foxtrot

So, like many others, I was unable to decide the lesser of two (or six?) evils. My strategy: let my 3yo daughter pick one.