test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Communication]Kithomer in Stasis: Asocial people

2»

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    sto is a solo player game... it focuses on you being the hero... team play is tacked on since it is a mmo but there is no real raid content that needs a full raid or pvp... if your looking for socialization... try facebook just be careful if the fbi has an eye on ya for trying to chat up minors.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    OR... we could end up speakin' both English and Mandarin someday, ala Firefly.
    Maybe Manchu will make a comeback? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    OR... we could end up speakin' both English and Mandarin someday, ala Firefly.
    They borrowed that from Bladerunner, I believe?
    There too was a mixed language that was "commonly" spoken.
    risian4 wrote: »
    French?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

You mean that obscure language? ;)
    Yes, Being Belgian, i should be able to speak that thing, but I could not, ever, make a thing out of it.
    It's like they took a sentence, put that into a jar, shook it for like an hour, and emptied that jar on a plate...
    The logic in the French language, I never understood.
    Then there were those odd things like (looking into google, sec, please): the "accent circonflexe", "accent egu", or that odd five number under a c.

Many say, French is a "romantic" language... well, to my taste, it is not.
    Too many hard vowels for my taste.
    Not to mention the French R, which to me sounds like a big cat in heat with a pneumonia.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    kiksken wrote: »
    Not to mention the French R, which to me sounds like a big cat in heat with a pneumonia.

At least I can ask if someone can speak English in French.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Well, OP, there is the language thing that others have mentioned, and there is the problem with the arrogant loudmouth players. Those two pretty much sum up why nearly everyone who plays a pug minimizes their chat window.
    Also, why bother completely stopping their play to type in chat so that you have someone to talk to?
    (Yes, yes, the arrogant will say, 'Oh I don't have to stop in order to type into the chat window' .... but you do, no matter how you think about it)

Unless you know who you're playing with, chatting in an STF is an annoyance. Something that is only done when you're with people that need gentle guidance and direction.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User

At least I can ask if someone can speak English in French.

That's the most important thing. Next to being able to say that you don't speak someone's language of course :)
    tigeraries wrote: »
    sto is a solo player game... it focuses on you being the hero... team play is tacked on since it is a mmo but there is no real raid content that needs a full raid or pvp... if your looking for socialization... try facebook just be careful if the fbi has an eye on ya for trying to chat up minors.
    True.
    However, for me, if I join a team for whatever reason, I would do my very best to be a team player, and I will always complete the mission.
    I cannot, for the sake of politeness and respect to other players, be an AFKér, or leave a mission early when I got my thing.
    It's just who i am.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Actually English is the third most widely spoken language in the world. Both Spanish & Mandarin beat it.
    this I did not know, thank you for telling me.
    kontarnus wrote: »
    Well, OP, there is the language thing that others have mentioned, and there is the problem with the arrogant loudmouth players. Those two pretty much sum up why nearly everyone who plays a pug minimizes their chat window.
    Also, why bother completely stopping their play to type in chat so that you have someone to talk to?
    (Yes, yes, the arrogant will say, 'Oh I don't have to stop in order to type into the chat window' .... but you do, no matter how you think about it)

Unless you know who you're playing with, chatting in an STF is an annoyance. Something that is only done when you're with people that need gentle guidance and direction.
    I understand, however, politeness dictates to me I should say hello, when I meet with someone.
    Also, not responding to a question is... disrespectful...
    But I guess I can understand people closing their chat due to less pleasant people in game.
    That's the most important thing. Next to being able to say that you don't speak someone's language of course :)
    And ordering beer!!!
    Let's not forget, ordering beer. XD
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator

Well... I ended up taking a year of French in High School. I picked up a little bit, but I never use it. I can recognize French, and I got an important question that isn't "Where's the Bathroom".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    So, been in this PvE few times, and mostly folks do not speak, not even if I have a question.
    Right now, 2 people left the building, 3 of us remained, I asked, if we could make it from here on... no replay.
    Shall we leave and restart? No reply.

What's wrong with you folks?
    5 men in this PvE, and no one able to talk?

At least ANSWER if someone asks a question, even with a "Sorry, dunno."...

This is called: Pug Lyfe. If you want to talk to players, create your own private team or join a private team for the STF of your choice. That way, you can chat with your members before you enter the run...and even ask questions. Good luck! :smile:
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Some players may have "team" turned off in their chat setup, or just don't know how to switch to it while playing. Others just aren't social. I admit that I am not a huge "socialite" when it comes to of folks who insist on trying out some weird space nerd greeting when the team is forming up. Chatting is fine, but keep the T'lingan to yourself, please; especially if it is about how you rule the galaxy or some such nonesense. RP is for private venues.

Edit - and if you have to ask, others who know will ascertain immediately that you do not & will probably ignore you unless they are of the very rare "helpful" variety. I'd bet no one wants to give you lessons while a game is in progress if you do not care enough to check it out on youtube first, where these things can be found & you will not have to ask while in game.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Some people just don't want to talk.

Fact is, this game doesn't take communication.. just point at the bad guy and kill it. If people don't want to talk to you, it's their right.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Myeah, back in the good old days, people greeted back at least...
    Seems the galaxy is fu... dged.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Myeah, back in the good old days, people greeted back at least...
    Seems the galaxy is fu... dged.

Well even back then there were a lot of different peeps in queues. But generally speaking you have a point. I think part of the problem nowadays is the much harder or rather longer progression curve a player goes through. Especially with spec trees and gear upgrades it simply takes much longer to move from bottom to top and/or to reach the individual goals. The time one wants to spend in STO however is the same more or less. I suspect that’s the reason why peeps have more of a work attitude than that of recreational surrounding.

Sure it’s no reason to be impolite but it definitely would explain a “let’s get it over with as fast as possible and skip the exchange of pleasantries” attitude.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    And really Stasis REQUIRES communication since the person pushing the Borg buttons needs to know which button to push.

Exactly. It REQUIRES communication. Its a PITA when someone just jumps in and randomly pushes buttons because you could be set up at B3, and they hit A1. Move to A1 thinking they're gonna hit that again, and its B2. Go to B2, its B1. Ends up becoming either camp one until he hits it or pray you get lucky.

It doesn't require communication. It requires someone in the control room who knows what they're doing. The game announces when players arrive at a node, so the button-pusher only needs to push the one the others are at.
    warpangel wrote: »
    And really Stasis REQUIRES communication since the person pushing the Borg buttons needs to know which button to push.
    Exactly. It REQUIRES communication. Its a PITA when someone just jumps in and randomly pushes buttons because you could be set up at B3, and they hit A1. Move to A1 thinking they're gonna hit that again, and its B2. Go to B2, its B1. Ends up becoming either camp one until he hits it or pray you get lucky.
    It doesn't require communication. It requires someone in the control room who knows what they're doing. The game announces when players arrive at a node, so the button-pusher only needs to push the one the others are at.
    Easier said than done when you're hearing multiple announcements due to players running around like a herd of cats....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    I tend to at least say, "GG, thanks everyone" at the end, especially if it was a good PUG that went well. Or if someone says "hi" I'll say "hi" back. In my experience it's been pretty rare that anyone actually responds, but it's a pleasant surprise if they do.
  • fierylimbofierylimbo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Easier said than done when you're hearing multiple announcements due to players running around like a herd of cats....
    You also have a map, so if the announcement is not enough on its own you can just check it to see where most of your team mates are.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    that only works to tell you what side of the room everyone is on; the map does nothing to tell you what thingie they're actually at, because in the year 2016, almost 17, 3D maps still elude modern game companies​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    fierylimbo wrote: »
    You also have a map, so if the announcement is not enough on its own you can just check it to see where most of your team mates are.

It always surprises me how the map is hardly used during that part of the mission.

Even without sound it's indeed easy to predict where the team is at and when you need to deactivate the shielding.
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    is server still down? I can't start the launcher. It says: "Trying to update launcher" then it fails after 23 attempts.
    that only works to tell you what side of the room everyone is on; the map does nothing to tell you what thingie they're actually at, because in the year 2016, almost 17, 3D maps still elude modern game companies​​
    Yeah this is one of those maps that is VERY 3-dimensional. The Borg devices that need to be destroyed are on 3 different floors, nearly directly above each other.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • cactolithcactolith Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Actually, one math formula for this could be: interest = (socialMoodRating / numberCupsCoffee)
    Post edited by cactolith on
    I wish we had more maps like the Khitomer ground one. Definitely one of my favorites.

You can go alone, you can stay with the team, there's different ways of making yourself useful and that's what I like here.
    It's so much better than maps like Terok Nor or Bug Hunt. There you always have to follow the same path, there's too many points where you need to stop etc. In the Khitomer facility you can just keep going and follow different routes, it's much more interesting.