test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

You have been assigned for deep exploration and need to make a decision.

2»

Comments

• captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    Temporal Light Cruiser = Constitution Refit Configuration, Keldon, Tal Shiar Adapted BattleCruiser, Tholian Terantula, Na'Kuhl Archeros, Fleet Caitain Atrox T5U, Fleet T6 Galaxy and Galaxy X, just off the top of my head. and I own all of them.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,853 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    refit Constitution class. if it worked for kirk it's good enough for me
    Spock.jpg

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Excelsior retrofit, it's a good solid work horse, strong and reliable
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
      Mission objective: deep space exploration
      Mission parameters: long range travel, hostile forces, spatial anomalies, limited resources
      Equipment of Choice: T'Laru Science Carrier Warbird

Selection Proposal Strategy:
      • Romulan Battle Cloaking Technology - avoid direct confrontation with potentially hostile forces, evade pursuers during unfavorable combat scenarios, strategic ambush alpha strikes when necessary, enhanced maneuvering, modify ship arrangement while cloaked inside enemy territory
      • Intel Spec Warp Signature Masking - backup stealth response to cloak detector grids and active scan scenarios
      • Intelligence & Adaptability - Lt & LtC universal seating, science/intel Cmd, Lt temporal, active sensor arrays, 4/3/4 console layout, singularity core powers, dual flight deck commands
      • No-Compromise Romulan Engineering: cross-linked synergy between various systems, eg. 4/2 DHC with SS3/CRF2/OSS2/ambush/singularity overcharge/flank (cloak positioning advantage); temporal Lt with intel/sci Cmd on overcharged aux-feeding singularity core on a target with exposed vulnerability
      • Advanced Component Compatibility: phase cloak, shield regeneration from damage dealt, regenerate singularity core and increase resistance from incoming damage, rapid recharge/reboot singularity, etc.
      • Summary: a very large and heavy stealth warbird capable of housing large crew & resources, mining beam for harvesting raw materials, on-board repair and manufacturing facilities servicing both fighter units and carrier, and versatile orientation leveraging the best of tactical, science, and engineering class ships into one with on-demand responsiveness where peak performance is needed most
      Y945Yzx.jpg
      Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
      · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
      «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
      ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      edited October 2016
      This is a fun topic idea.

By Star Trek canon, the typical choice for exploration are Cruisers. Probably because they are relatively versatile and can operate independently for extended times.

What class could be better suited for exploration than the Exploration Cruiser? It has a proven track record. Admittedly, it might have been recently "overengineering" in the tactical department for its intended purpose.

On the FederationKlingon side, I think the Gorkon Class sounds like the best.

On the Romulan side, I might pick the Kara. It's seperation abilty can be useful if it gets into trouble ,and it has well equipped science facilities. Deihu or D'krella might be decent alternate choices.

Post edited by mustrumridcully0 on
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
      On the Federation side, I think the Gorkon Class sounds like the best.

since when does the federation name their ships after KLINGON chancellors?​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      On the Federation side, I think the Gorkon Class sounds like the best.

since when does the federation name their ships after KLINGON chancellors?​​
      Oops. Typing is hard.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
      I'm surprised no one has chosen the Luna class. If memory serves it was designed for just this type of mission. It supposedly has the most advanced sensors and science capabilities in Starfleet. It is also more than capable of defending itself when Riker goes and ticks someone off which is almost a certainty. It also can support the most diverse crew compliment in Starfleet history.
      Of course I'm using the Star Trek: Titan series of books as a reference.
      STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
      I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
    • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
      Yeah. You're probably right. And the Quantum Slipstream drive would give the Vesta an advantage as well. So much for making a point after just waking up. :(
      STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
      I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
    • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      I'm gonna have to roll the Deihu as my choice(fleet version if there is one). Science and command focus, Flexible BOFF seating, solid console options, battle cloak, and fighters. C&C vessels are good choices imo as the necessary equipment for being a C&C vessel means powerful computers, communications, sensors, and these systems are made to withstand major strain(like combat). Choosing one with more science capabilities, kinda screams "perfect" for long term exploration.
    • jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
      For Federation: I'd have to go with the Fleet Long Range Science Vessel [T6]. Has the ability to use the Ablative Hull Generator, has access to the Aero Shuttle for short excursions, and can use the Photonic Shockwave Torpedo in Combat as can the Aero Shuttle which provides a disable for enemy ships. It has access to a small amount of Intel power as well. Though it's not outright TACTICALLY powerful, it's ability to generate science based anomalies such as gravity wells, destabilizing resonance beam, etc makes it able to hold most enemies in place, perhaps often causing enemy collisions. The ship is very nimble at impulse speeds; it has great maneuverability and a high impulse speed. It was the first Starfleet Ship to use the Quantum Slipstream drive that was not shuttle class. It also has the capability to reach a regular warp speed of 9.99 should the need to run arise.

For Romulan Republic: I'd choose the Fleet Aelahl Battlecruiser Warbird. This ship is not too small nor is it gigantic, which means it can fit through much smaller spaces while exploring planetary systems than say it's D'Deridex older brother. It has a strong hull and good shields. It's quite nimble for a cruiser and being a battlecruiser is has fair firepower should the need to fight arise. It comes equipped with a Romulan Battlecloaking Device which would allow for avoiding some conflict by remaining hidden. It has access to intel capabilities which would aid in gathering information while remaining cloaked.
    • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
      edited October 2016
      For my Federation Captain: I'd probably go with the Sovereign-class, I'd probably jump at the chance of taking it on a 5 year mission of exploration, since it'd be quite capable of defending itself and I like the idea of using the same ship as the Enterprise-E for the same mission profile of the Enterprise-D. It's mixture of tactical and defensive capabilities remind me of Connie.

For my Klingon: I'd probably go with the Fleet T5-U Vo'Quv. Its science capabilities make it a natural choice for a klingon expedition, a hangar full of Birds-of-Prey and To'Duj fighters extend its range even further (especially if you want to consider the versatile nature of Birds-of-Prey by themselves which could be used for additional recon). I forget how much crew the Vo'Quv has, but I want to say it's somewhere around 4,000? Given the amount of redshirt deaths I'd expect from a KDF exploration mission, I'd still have plenty to return home with.

For my Romulan: Tough call. I'd probably use my T'Laru, for the same reasons as I'd use the Sovereign or Vo'Quv. As an intel ship, I'd be quite comfortable being undetected at long range, even without being cloaked. The Elite Romulan Drone Ships and Scorpion fighters would extend the range considerably, and allow me to disguise the Drone Ships as 'local' ships for recon purposes, without being as easily detected. The science and intel capabilities of the T'Laru would allow me to explore a large area over a period of 5 years, and its sheer size and forward firepower would end virtually any conflict I could expect to run into.

Edit: Oh, and this is a good thread and you should feel good for posting it.​​
      ExtxpTp.jpg
      jadz3 wrote: »
      For Romulan Republic: I'd choose the Fleet Aelahl Battlecruiser Warbird.

I'd considered that one myself for many of the same reasons :)
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      Excalibur, so I can travel in style.
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
      apulse wrote: »
      You have been assigned by Starfleet / Republic / KDF for a deep exploration mission that will take your far away from the safe borders of your sovereign. They estimate that you will be away for a long time and return to the Alpha Quadrant in 5 years.
      You will be able to handpick your crew, get all the resources needed to make this missions successful, but most important of all:
      You will have the honor to handpick the vessel that will make this journey possible.

This might be a bit of RP in a way, and might not be fit in the General Discussion. But as the prologue says; You are going away for a deep exploration mission for 5 years and will be able to pick the ship that will take you there and back again.
      You can choose any ship that is currently available in STO and write a small explanation why you choose that ship.

I will go first:
      Since Odyssey is the excellent choice, I will not choose that just for the fun of it.

I would choose the Guardian Cruiser.
      It is designated as a exploration vessel and it his quite fresh from the shipyards.
      I don't want to stand out as a warship, but instead use large ship with a design that' will not (over) intimidate strangers to believe that you are hostile.
      It has the latest Starfleet technology, and it has intelligence seating that could be good for observation without interaction with unknown species.

Took the words right out of my mouth kid, I'd be in my Guardian cruiser, fleet refit of course ;) With all starfleet build... the orange phasers and the quantum torpedoes maybe some tricobalt devices for good measure.
    • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      Jupiter Class : Its a large ship that is capable of long range exploration, even using its scorts to extend its range further.
      sophlogimo wrote: »
      Romulan Republic: Haapax warbird. It is big and sturdy like a cruiser, and can cloak and run from superior hazards nevertheless.
      At least take the newer Kara :P
    • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
      Eclipse Intel Cruiser.

It's a high speed cruiser with a cloaking device.
      Previously Alendiak
      Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
      Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      What you need is a dependable work horse like the Excelsior and Nebula
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
        edited October 2016
        Really, no one has said it yet?, all right I'll be "that guy".

Give me a scimitar please. One flight deck, Shielded battle cloak, those sensor pods have to be good for something other then a thaloran pulse, and it's size. Would probably take a T6 version but use the T5 looks. I like the way the regular scimi is.