test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Three suggestions, which seem logical and iconic to me.

Our crafting schools and Doffs can make some very exotic things, like antiproton beams and chroniton torpedoes, and they can make very complicated things, like singularity cores and warp cores. Yet these same people don't have the knowledge or the technology to make ... a pointed stick. Why can't we craft melee weapons? I suggest melee weapons get added to crafting.
Speaking of melee weapons, it makes perfect sense that the Klingons have the bat'leth, and the Vulcans (Federation) have the lirpa. But, by default, the Romulans end up with the ... Nausican sword. Remember the artifact sword that gets found on New Romulus? It makes sense that Romulans would be into swords. So, Cryptic, can you please add Romulan swords to the game?
Speaking of melee weapons, there is something very iconic missing from the game: daggers. Yeah, they are part of some costumes and emotes, but no one can actually use them, which was done in Star Trek. Need I even mention the Klingon daggers? The Romulans are very happy about daggers, as well. The Feds could be given the Andorian Ushan or mirror universe daggers. The game already has melee weapons and punching. A dagger (or equivalent) could be given to each faction. So, Cryptic, can you please add this to the game?

Comments

• officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    To what end?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Crafting meleee weapons makes perfect sense. Make it so!

A Romulan sword makes sense, since D'Tan did cal the raptor star a symbol of his people.

Having a doff using lunge with two daggers would be cool, but swords make more sense for anything besides a duel. It would also require new animations so it's probably too much work for Cryptic.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Neverwinter's over that way :)
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    ^This. Theyre as useful as shuttles. Not much.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The only thing I want to add to this is a Klingon Haf'leth skin for the lipra. I'm fine with Feddie's using Klingon melee weapons. It just goes to show, that the klingons are still 100% correct in how things should be done.

Adding melee weapons to crafting is something I can see. As long as it's faction specific. Meaning the Federation can only craft Federation melee weapons. Romulans can only craft Romulan melee weapons. Klingons can only craft Klingon melee weapons. I wouldn't want to use a bat'leth or sword made by the Federation.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Just a thought, but against the Borg, a sharp long blade would be useful...once they adapt to your energy weapon of choice.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I support Swords, Bat'leth's and Lirpa's being added to the Ground R&D tab.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    There is also Lunge, Motion Accelerator and Ambush for tacs and tac boffs, along with some traits and specialization skills for melee.

Sadly, there are no animations for deflecting blaster bolts with your sword :)
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Perhaps some of you don't know that melee weapons are already a thing in STO, and that there are strategic advantages to using them. As was noted, yes, they are quite useful in the Borg battle zone. I find it useful to equip one as my character's second weapon, and to arm one Boff in my away team with one. (One person I know claims it's more effective to punch and kick than to use phasers. I'm not sure I agree, but that's a whole other discussion.) Now, you don't have to use them. I'm sure you can win without one just fine. So, to be clear, I am not saying that Cryptic should add a new game mechanic called melee weapons, it's already there. I am saying that since the Federation already has the lirpa, and since the Klingons already have the bat'leth, and since there is already a Nausicaan sword (falchion), then they should add a Romulan sword. Second, since they already have the above mentioned weapons and fist fighting, they should add daggers. Again, they were a thing in Star Trek canon. Third, since they already exist in the game, and since we can already craft far more complicated stuff, we should be able to craft them.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I would, to further support melee combat, also suggest to remove or at least nerf the TR rifle and all other stuff like kit modules that deals kinetic (shield-ignoring) damage without making the sacrifices and having to deal with the drawbacks of a melee weapon.

It's an unfair advantage and it's promoting lazy builds (lazy as in: no further thought on it needed, just put everything that deals kinetic damage on your kit/character and be done with it).

Shield-ignoring damage should be restricted to melee weapons and combat. Not just because I want it, also not just because it would be fair since using melee weapons means you're sacrificing something for that shield-ignoring damage, but also because it would make more sense.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,853 Arc User
    a mek'leth would be awesome, and only kdf craft-able and a faction bound, please
    Spock.jpg

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,853 Arc User
    a mek'leth would be awesome, and only kdf craft-able and a faction bound, please
    Spock.jpg