test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Free Ships Upgraded if Hold off on Acquiring?

tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
Most of the missions in tier 3 have been ground missions and hardly had a chance to play both my science vessel and the Enterprise from the Temporal mission. At rank 29 and almost ready to hit 30.

I was thinking of holding off taking the tier 4 ship until I hit 40 so I can use the tier 3 ships for a bit. If I take my tier 4 ship at level 40, will the weapons and equipment upgrade to that level?

Comments

• zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    I've reclaimed T4 and lower Tier ships to get them listed in my admiralty list of ships, and the default equipment didn't change from when I claimed them originally. It'll stay at the lowest mk at the level you can first claim it on, Mk 3, Mk 5, etc whatever it happens to be for a particular ship. You can claim the T4 ship now if you want, and still use the T3 ship as much as you want. until you're ready to use the new ship.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Tier 4 ships start with there own lvl weaponry.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Most of the missions in tier 3 have been ground missions and hardly had a chance to play both my science vessel and the Enterprise from the Temporal mission. At rank 29 and almost ready to hit 30.

I was thinking of holding off taking the tier 4 ship until I hit 40 so I can use the tier 3 ships for a bit. If I take my tier 4 ship at level 40, will the weapons and equipment upgrade to that level?

No. Ships stay at their level, and the default equipment they come with is based on that level, too.

You could claim the Tier 4 ship and equip your Tier 3 ship with its weapons, if that is better what you have right now, but the Tier 4 ship offers also extra console slots and (more importantly) extra bridge officer slots.

That said, I think you could survive for a while with a Tier 3 ship in later game content, but it might require some gear and bridge officer ability selection optimization. (There are people that have played to endgame with Tier 1 ships, but it's not a smooth ride.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Certain weapons and gears will upgrade with you as you level.
    (biowarhead) (quadcannon) ( retro phaser beams) (lobi garbages)...
    Aslong you are not level cap like most MMORPG you can use crappy gears.
    It just takes a bit longer time

Usualy I dont switch ships between lvl 30~lvl 40

What I have learned from the years is that you can save time and gamble a bit to get some ultra/epic crafted gears
    During upgrade event I will craft a couple ground and space weapons
    and then add tech points to them ( Romulan upgradekit + boaster )
    you will have Mk II weapons for your new low level toons

5 ground weapons ( splitbeamers ) MkII
    4 (2 dual) beams Mk II
    2 ( at least 1 photon) torpedo Mk II
    1 Warpcore/sing Mk II

and then my new toons will have these awsome Mk II crafted weapons
    you can upgrade them when you fly in sector space between missions,
    Once level cap I will ditch the crappy ones and keep the good ones around for another upgrade event. Usualy only 1 or 2 pieces.

If you are not in a hurry just park toons somewhere to doff
    and then do mission at level cap to grab nice rewards.

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Certain weapons and gears will upgrade with you as you level.
    snip weapon list

and then my new toons will have these awsome Mk II crafted weapons
    you can upgrade them when you fly in sector space between missions,
    Once level cap I will ditch the crappy ones and keep the good ones around for another upgrade event. Usualy only 1 or 2 pieces.

If you are not in a hurry just park toons somewhere to doff
    and then do mission at level cap to grab nice rewards.

MMOs are pretty new to me. Not sure if following.

So you are saying upgrade your weapons while playing the story missions to rank 55-60, upgrading as you go along. Then park your toon, use the doffs for whatever to gain experience and once you are at rank 60, do the story missions to get nice MK XII rewards? Replace crappy one with nice reward ones.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Only some C-Store ships include special auto-leveling weapons, like the Connie with auto-level-up retro blue phasers.

Some lock box and lobi ships might include a rare torpedo or something that is special.

Other than that, ships include white mark N gear that is tied to the level of the ship and does not level up based on when you claim it.

Normally you'll want to replace the included gear with episode rewards, loot drops, purchases from the exchange, rep gear, or when R&D is available, crafted gear. All of those can be leveled up using tech upgrades.

If you like phasers and are federation you can buy white mark 1 gear at Earth Spacedock and use blue / rare tech upgrades to very quickly level them up to your current level. Or if you have the Connie you can discharge and reclaim it 3 times to get a set of 8 retro blue beam arrays that auto-level up to mark XII.

(The reason to buy mark I is the first few upgrades cost almost no tech points but give you the same % chance for the rarity to go up. So one blue tech upgrade will level a beam array to mark 6? with 5 chances to improve the rarity of the beam array)

The story episodes can be replayed at any level to get rewards at your current level, up to the max level set for that episode (XI for some, XII for most others)

If you want to level up episode reward gear, getting it at a low level is often better since you again get more chances for the rarity increase.

On PC, people intentionally craft gear at Mark II to get the most chances for rarity increase.