test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to make a contact beam out?

I've been working on a story and near the end, there's a contact the players meet and talk to. I want the contacts to beam out at the end of the conversation, but I can't figure out how to make that happen.

Also, I've been trying to make the final mission contact be the Admiral at Starbase Sierra, but I can't seem to find him in the list. Right now, the final report in happens kind of DURING the last conversation with your crew, and that's not how I want it.

Finally, I'm also using Vaudwaar as soldiers armed with projectile weapons. The problem here is that they're L51, which restricts the mission. Is there an alternative group I could use to simulate a lower-tech enemy?
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.

Comments

• zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Is the contact a talk objective? You could set the visible->hidden trigger to This Objective Complete. It won't beam out though, just disappear.

As for different NPC groups if you don't want any level restriction you can use Fed, KDF (Klingon, Nausicaan etc) npc groups
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    I can't think of any NPC groups that use swords. Unfortunately we can't set their equipment
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Nausi use that glowing thing that's more like a giant bayonet...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    Sadly, there aren't any groups with melee weapons, so most authors use something along the lines of costumed Mugato NPC groups for such situations. Not great, perhaps, but it might provide an option for you.

A beam out animation isn't normally possible, except through workarounds. The problem with the workaround option is that the game doesn't scale threats evenly across levels, so the hidden threats that an author might use to trigger a beam out animation will not work uniformly across levels.

You can create decision points in your mission, but you can't create one that will permit the player to choose between leaving the map and continuing the mission. If you are careful, though, you can create forks in your mission that use the same physical locations, but offer different reasons for doing so. Map dialogues offer excellent opportunities for this when triggered by a storyline objective :)
    Note that the mugato option results in unarmed melee....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rogue6800rogue6800 Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    Hm. Interesting thought.

So, what if I was to edit my Kobayashi Maru mission as such:

Mission starts and you're presented with a choice of going to rescue the Kobayashi Maru, or not violating the treaty.
    If you choose the save the freighter, the mission continues and the rescue/combat objectives spawn, but if not, you warp to a new map which you would carry on your patrol uneventfully and then warp out to end the mission.

Would that work?

Another thought... would it be possible to have the player respawn on a different map if destroyed during a rescue attempt? Really, the mission should end if you're destroyed even once.

Unfortunately the foundry doe snot have that capability. and from what snippets I have heard here and there, I believe even a Cryptic Missions couldn't do that.

You could do this with "optional" objectives using dialog triggers, but you can't branch actual objectives this way.
    Yeah, the AoY mission where you die actually has plot kill you not the Klingons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing