test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

S.T.A.R

franatharfranathar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited September 2016 in Earth Spacedock
Starfleet Tactical Astrometrics Recon. We work with the astrometrics department and stellar cartographers to co-ordinate, and assess the situation in unknown space. A fresh fleet in need of Officers. We only have a tier 1 starbase, but there is plenty of room to grow. If you think you have what it takes to help with the command of the fleet then we will put you to the test. Requires a little commitment from all available, but the rewards are worth it. Come be part of something great, be part of S.T.A.R.

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    franathar wrote: »
    Starfleet Tactical Astrometrics Recon. We work with the astrometrics department and stellar cartographers to co-ordinate, and assess the situation in unknown space. A fresh fleet in need of Officers. We only have a tier 1 starbase, but there is plenty of room to grow. If you think you have what it takes to help with the command of the fleet then we will put you to the test. Requires a little commitment from all available, but the rewards are worth it. Come be part of something great, be part of S.T.A.R.

What would you say to allegations that you and other key members of your fleet have not been involved in much stellar cartography lately and in fact have been part of several military engagements of various size over the past 2 years? Haven't you seen more combat engagements then most Starfleet Officers that served during the Dominion War?

Isn't it in fact that your fleets official mission statement is just another euphemism to appease critics, when in truth your fleet is just another example of the Federation's expansion of its military capabilities, in an concentrated effort to use Starfleet to implement its new foreign policies, in where Diplomacy is no longer the first or preferred approach to conflict with interstellar neighbors, but military posturing or intervention is? Would you say that it is not a coincidence that an alleged "Exploration Cruiser" - a ship by name quite suited to the mission statement of your fleet, S.T.A.R., has been retrofitted with advanced military capabilities with no improvements whatsoever to its ability to engage in stellar cartography or any other exploration tasks?

What do you say to this, Admiral?

Mustrum "Sorry, I had a roleplay flash" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    franathar wrote: »

What would you say to allegations that you and other key members of your fleet have not been involved in much stellar cartography lately and in fact have been part of several military engagements of various size over the past 2 years? Haven't you seen more combat engagements then most Starfleet Officers that served during the Dominion War?

@mustrumridcully0 I suppose that's where the 'Tactical' and 'Recon' parts of its name come in...

Tbh a little sad that tacs get two mentions, science one - but no love for the engineers!! They built this Federation! *shakes fist*

More seriously, wishing you and your fleet all the best :)

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    @mustrumridcully0 I suppose that's where the 'Tactical' and 'Recon' parts of its name come in...

@ultimatenewbie So the only thing you're in dispute is the term euphemism, and the Federation's policy is clearly as I described? Is this the statement you wish to give to our readers?
    More seriously, wishing you and your fleet all the best :)
    They certainly have their work cut out for them. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • franatharfranathar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Unfortunately, Starfleets exploration of space has made it clear that it is necessary to have a strong combat capabilities. This has been seen by the constant threat the Federation has faced through all space that has been explored, from Klingons and Romulans wanting war constantly, to the Jem'Hadar and Dominion indiscriminately attacking many ships. No matter where we go, conflict will always be there, and diplomacy, while good in theory, will not always work, and therefor there will always be a need for Combat capable ships, not for a militaristic expansion, but for the defense of the federation. Without advanced recon like S.T.A.R. we would essentially be going into a region blind.

As for the other accusation of not mentioning engineers I apologize. I agree, Starfleet would be hard pressed to explore space without them. They deserve more credit than they get, that's for certain.

• freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    The Federation is the biggest threat in the galaxy with their insidious policies that assimilate and convert everyone, makes the Borg look inefficient and clumsy.

"oh, you don't want into our little exclusive club, sorry to hear that, how about we do some trade deals...." few years later they get completely absorbed into the Federation.

Or

"You want nothing to do with us, ok." next thing you know you've been labelled as crazy battle-junkie freaks who'd shoot themselves if they thought it'd get them a decent fight.

"We come in peace, your cultural and technological distinctiveness will be subsumed by our Federal 'might makes right' policies, you will have all your needs taken care of by our 'magic' replicator tech, which by the way will require you to send your best and brightest to be indoctrinated on Earth to further our might Federal Empire, also, if the Borg turn up your on your own..."
    Have you forgotten there are races that are not part of the Federation? The Ferengi, the Hirogen, Cardasians, Jem'Hadar, Changelings, and Talaxians are a few examples. The Romulans and Klingons are also not part of the federation. The same can be said about others like the Klingons claiming the federation is weak and cowardly. If someone isn't an ally, then naturally there is some prejudice to that species, such as
    labelled as crazy battle-junkie freaks who'd shoot themselves if they thought it'd get them a decent fight."

With your argument you already proved my point. You may not have directly said it, but by your words I think its safe to insinuate that you at least thought of placing similar labels on the Federation.

• pobatti#7150 pobatti Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    First there was Star Trek Nemesis, now there's S.T.A.R...

I wonder how long it will be before Captain Wesker shows up :)
    edited September 2016
    (I see what you did there. Almost missed it. Completely unintentional by the way.) Stay tuned for a new line of pharmaceuticals our ferengi friends will aquire soon.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    First there was Star Trek Nemesis, now there's S.T.A.R...

I wonder how long it will be before Captain Wesker shows up :)

Ran into a wesker during a days queue last night xD
    @ultimatenewbie So the only thing you're in dispute is the term euphemism, and the Federation's policy is clearly as I described? Is this the statement you wish to give to our readers?

Well, @mustrumridcully0 I think it would be difficult to argue against the facts. Since 2409, the Federation has indeed been in conflict with a range of civilisations, including the following groups:
    • Klingon Empire
    • Gorn Hegemony
    • True Way Cardassians
    • Mirror Terran Empire
    • Tholians
    • Romulan Star Empire
    • Tal Shiar
    • Elachi
    • Reman Resistance
    • Hirogen
    • New Link Founders
    • The Dominion (from the past)
    • Breen Confederacy
    • Borg Collective
    • Undine/Species 8472
    • Voth
    • Vaadwuar and about 20 other Delta Quadrant species
    • Bluegills
    • Iconians and their Heralds
    • Na'kuhl
    • Followers of Noye
    • Crystalline Entity
    • Salt Vampires
    And I'm sure I've missed some.

So, the Federation's policy is peaceful coexistance - but as we know, peaceful relations is a two-way street.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Fleet recruiting section...For Fed Fleets...
    (if you get tired of the generalized discussion stuff):

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/categories/earth-spacedock
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

Well, @mustrumridcully0 I think it would be difficult to argue against the facts. Since 2409, the Federation has indeed been in conflict with a range of civilisations, including the following groups:
    • Klingon Empire
    • Gorn Hegemony
    • True Way Cardassians
    • Mirror Terran Empire
    • Tholians
    • Romulan Star Empire
    • Tal Shiar
    • Elachi
    • Reman Resistance
    • Hirogen
    • New Link Founders
    • Breen Confederacy
    • Borg Collective
    • Undine/Species 8472
    • Voth
    • Bluegills
    • Na'kuhl
    • Followers of Noye
    • Crystalline Entity
    • Salt Vampires

So, the Federation's policy is peaceful coexistance - but as we know, peaceful relations is a two-way street.

Not since 2409. The game itself is in 2410. But in general, most of what you have listed is from the 2360's and 2370's. The borg Invasion was in 2381.

Since 2409 it's been Terrans and Nah'Kul.

But this list does show exactly how "peaceful" the Federation actually is. Peaceful relations means minding your own business. Which, the Federation is incapable of doing. So that two way street never existed to begin with.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

• Klingon Empire
    • Gorn Hegemony
    • True Way Cardassians
    • Mirror Terran Empire
    • Tholians
    • Romulan Star Empire
    • Tal Shiar
    • Elachi
    • Reman Resistance
    • Hirogen
    • New Link Founders
    • Breen Confederacy
    • Borg Collective
    • Undine/Species 8472
    • Voth
    • Bluegills
    • Na'kuhl
    • Followers of Noye
    • Crystalline Entity
    • Salt Vampires

Not since 2409. The game itself is in 2410. But in general, most of what you have listed is from the 2360's and 2370's. The borg Invasion was in 2381.

But this list does show exactly how "peaceful" the Federation actually is. Peaceful relations means minding your own business. Which, the Federation is incapable of doing. So that two way street never existed to begin with.
    As a wise man once said "it's hard to live in peace with things that want to kill you."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • akaar2akaar2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    is this a recruitment for the S.T.A.R. armada???
    trennan wrote: »

Ah, whilst engagements with these groups may have occured earlier in the 2360's to 2380's, I think you'll find by reading the STO Lore that the game started in 2409 and we're now up to 2410 in-game time. And yes, we've engaged all of those enemies in battle during those two brief years.

• jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Moved to appropriate forum category.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider