test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 234: Trek50

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 234: Trek50 has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles234.png

This week we start the show talking about how the crew got in to Star Trek to mark the 50th Anniversary.

Afterwards we discuss this week's news from Star Trek Online (0:41:30), Star Trek Timelines (0:58:55), Conventions (1:25:30) (including Dragon's Fort Collins Comic Con update), and Listener Feedback (1:36:08) and more!

Our community questions this week are:
1. Are you burnt out with Star Trek Online and/or Timelines? If so, what caused it and how would you to resolve it?
2. Did you do anything for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek?

Comments

• chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    1.) I remember back in the day I grinded the ground Borg STFs on Elite (old Elite, now called Advanced) so many times trying to get the drop so I could unlock the M.A.C.O. and Honor Guard outfits. It must have taken me somewhere near 150 runs to unlock M.A.C.O. for my main. That was the only time I ever experienced any kind of burn out in STO, but I never really stopped playing the game. However, I do remember taking a long break from the game somewhere around the launch of the Command ships. That wasn't because of burn out though, it was because it was rough trying to make time for the game.

I eventually came back to STO once I was able to because I still have lots of fun with it. I continue to play STO and don't see myself burning out anytime soon. Speaking as someone who doesn't own an absurd amount of characters, I completely agree with Midnite. There's just so much to do even with only my six characters. I still haven't gotten around to playing some Foundry missions that a friend of mine recommended to me, and that's only a small portion of the many things on the to-do-list.

2.) I'm still continuing DS9 for the first time. The episode I started on September 8th was the first in season 3, The Search Part 1. It was the debut of the Defiant. I got a little giddy about the fortunate coincidence of seeing the first appearance the Defiant on the 50th.

My Dad has taken notice of me watching DS9 and told me that I should not start my daily episodes without him because he wants to join in as well. At that point I felt a little bad about not even bothering to ask him, but it's okay because we started from the beginning. Watching it with him has made it much more enjoyable. I relate to Jake and Sisko's relationship and going through the trouble of having to accept a new home. I also see a lot of my Dad in Sisko. Many laughs continued to be shared. The show is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Who knows, by the time I finish the show, it might even take TNG's spot as my favorite.

3.) You kind of forgot to put up StooDogg's question.
    StooDogg: If you were to spend any sum of money per month on a game, what would be your cap? How much would you be willing to pay for either STO or Timelines?

I think my cap would be 8 USD. I would not commit to paying for two sub fees whose sum would be greater than $8. Though the harder part is actually convincing me to commit to a game.

Feedback

Sun, I'm disappointed. You don't know about 'Punch-Out!!'. I'm revoking your Nintenerd card. ;P

Now onto some criticism.
    Sun: Well, it's been years. So s.c.r.e.w. you if you're worried about spoilers.
    (Had to edit that word to get rid of the asterisks.)
    Well that's a little much...

Remember how I said that I started watching DS9 for the first time not too long ago?

I was really young at the time, so it's not like I could sit down and appreciate it fully. It was the same with TNG for me. I would hate if you guys happen bring up (more) DS9 spoilers without giving a warning first. While STO already spoils a lot of stuff in DS9, it's not like it spoils everything. If someone told me the outcome of some episode... let's say 'Heart of Stone', I would've been incredibly disappointed. The first DS9 related one I heard from you guys was a HUGE MAJOR spoiler with absolutely zero amount of warning and it bothered me quite a lot. I didn't want to bring it up the first time it happened, but now I feel like I'm obliged to put it out there after hearing your opinion.

Just because it's been years since something came out, doesn't mean it's okay to spill out spoilers like it's nothing, especially major ones. It doesn't mean it's not new to somebody. The reasoning is beyond me. It's not like my Dad spoiled parts of TNG before I watched it for the first time and said, "Sucks to be part of the new generation. You should've been born sooner." That first DS9 spoiler was really upsetting. It was an enormous nuke you guys dropped on me and Midnite said it like it was nothing. If you don't know which one I'm talking about, it wasn't from the last episode. I forget which episode it was, but it was one of the previous ones when you were reading listener feedback. It was about what happens to a certain officer that isn't human who I will not name.

I want to make it clear that everyone should feel free to talk about spoilers. I just want a warning so that I can take my headphones off or mute the podcast for a couple of minutes. That's all I'm asking for. Something like "Oh by the way, spoilers about 'x' or 'y' if you care about it." The guys in the only other podcast I listen to happen to do this and I'm grateful for it. I get that this is a Star Trek podcast. Maybe you're expecting every listener to know every single thing about Trek, but the possibility that there might be people who don't know everything and who haven't watched everything... it shouldn't be surprising. It also shouldn't be surprising to see a new generation of people that want to be invested in Trek, that want to be fans of the franchise, that want to be Trekkies. Of course you still have the right to refuse my request for spoiler warnings. I'm not the one running the podcast.

Shout outs to StooDogg for being the only one who worried.
    Post edited by chozoelder2nd on
    SP9Pu.gif
  • stoodoggstoodogg Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Yeah no love love for old StooDogg's question :)
    Thanks for the answer, we'll go over it tonight in the show!
    Panel member, Tribbles In Ecstasy
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Well, only a few hours left, I guess it's time to get some feedback in...

Community questions:

1.) Mmh. Why don't you tell me whether I'm burnt out with STO?
    Here are a few clues:

- I got all the items necessary to finish all reputations on my temporal agent. In fact I've only got... about a week of daily reputation projects left to unlock the temporal reputation reward thingy.

- I cannot be bothered to log into the game to "claim" the finished projects and start the new ones.

*shrug*

What caused it? I'm not sure.

I mean, Legacy of Romulus had so much more content (albeit only for the romulans). Enjoyable content if I might add...
    Delta Rising had more content (even if you ignore the issues with the leveling curve and the inclusion of the patrol mission wrappers into the story line) and some of it was still enjoyable.
    Agents of Yesterday was just so... what's the nicest way to put it... lackluster.

Wait, I may not be burnt out with STO, I may be burnt out with Star Trek. I mean, the whole 50th anniversary is just so... meh. Where's "a" new show? Next year and it's gonna be another prequel...
    What about a movie? Nope, they are still clinging to JJTrek.
    What about a "good" Star Trek game? I mean, it's rather telling that a shooter that was published (almost) 16 years ago is still considered to be one of the better Star Trek games. What in the what?

Take that, add the whole *bleep* that Cryptic put into STO (and the fact that CBS allowed them to do so), stir it, turn down the heat and let it simmer for a few hours. Add some salt, stir again and you got yourself a really disappointing meal.

How to resolve it? Give me some good... decent... passable content? Give me something that excites... speaks to... does not utterly disappoint me?

And I'm still not playing Timelines... :p

2.) Just like the people behind Star Trek, I could not be bothered to do anything big. I only managed to log into STO to claim the giveaway pack. *shrugs* I just hope DS9's anniversary is gonna be better.

Remember how I mentioned the WoW companion app last week and how Perfect World can't be bothered to put the DOff system (or anything worthwhile for that matter) into the STO gateway? Well, they just announced they are gonna shut down the gateway for Neverwinter. That's just precious.

And since we're talking about Neverwinter, part of the reason STO made the jump to consoles was the "success" Neverwinter had. Let's take a look at the numbers they just published. Neverwinter claims to have a total of 12 million registered accounts. 2 million on Playstation 4 (2 months after their PS4 launch), 3 million on XBox One and 7 million on PC.
    The last number we got for STO was in the 5th anniversary info graphic that boasted 2.5 million accounts.
    No matter whether or not we get a new infographic for STO's 7th anniversary, either way is gonna be rather telling. ;)

Oh and since we're talking about consoles, let's ignore the XBox live (subscription) issues and talk about the game. Did Cryptic use the time to polish it and make sure they would make a big splash? Apparently not. Because I watched two or three reviews/impressions of the console versions and sure, the respective reviewers seemed to enjoy the little bit of content they played, but of course there are still glitches showing up in those videos. And according to the STO subreddit there are apparently even a few showstopping bugs later on.
    Do you remember how I raged against the story (mostly the Iconian and Temporal arcs) because no NPC ever seems to learn anything? I feel like there might be some sort of hidden pattern.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Feedback

Sun, I'm disappointed. You don't know about 'Punch-Out!!'. I'm revoking your Nintenerd card. ;P

Now onto some criticism.

I missed a Punch Out Reference? I remember Stoo getting confused.
    But I don't recall me missing it... Unless I missed the context.

Post edited by sunseahl on
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    sunseahl wrote: »
    Feedback

Now onto some criticism.

I missed a Punch Out Reference? I remember Stoo getting confused.
    But I don't recall me missing it... Unless I missed the context.

From the last episode.
    When I saw an amiibo of Little Mac got announced, I freaked out and said to myself, "I HAVE to get this. Where else am I gonna get Punch-Out!! merchandise?"
    Midnite asked if anyone knew what Punch-Out was. TimberWolf said no, Dragon said no, and StooDogg said one of the games was a Wii game. You were kinda silent, unless you forgot to press da button like TimberWolf? :p
    SP9Pu.gif
    Maybe it was Manu's button. :)
    Sorry bubbahotep, just saw your post now. You'll find both parts of episode 235 on the Holosuite Media Youtube page.
    Cool buddy :)