test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Console Lifetime Subscription

hamjamiamhamjamiam Member Posts: 17 Arc User
Does the lifetime subscription on console give you a monthly stipend of Zen as on the PC?

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Nope. See link for what you get.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/xbox/star-trek-online/news/detail/10142403-lifetime-subscription-sale

I will assume Microsoft / Sony gets a cut of whatever real money is used to buy Zen (similar to how Valve gets a 30% cut of any transaction on Steam). They and Cryptic do not earn money when giving away free Zen. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I've read somewhere that the console LTS is purchased with Zen rather than a credit card or PayPal. That means players can actually grind Dil for Zen to get the LTS for free.
  • selerynseleryn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The list only includes the Veteran rewards. Nothing is said about wether the LTS includes the full gold membership, as on PC, or not. But a LTS wouldn't make much sense, if it was without the gold membership and therefor includes the monthly Zen. In four weeks we will know for sure. It is a fact, that you buy the LTS on console with Zen. 16750, if I remember correctly.
  • wag61283wag61283 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    I did not see liberated Borg romulan character mention but did not see it on the cstore on console. So anyone know if it's tied to the lifetime sub?
    • Play as a Liberated Borg on Federation and Klingon Factions

So it is no veteran reward and therefor not tide to the lifetime sub. Is there even the possibility of playing as a liberated Borg in the Romulan faction?
  • wag61283wag61283 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    On the pc there was
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    seleryn wrote: »
    The list only includes the Veteran rewards. Nothing is said about wether the LTS includes the full gold membership, as on PC, or not. But a LTS wouldn't make much sense, if it was without the gold membership and therefor includes the monthly Zen. In four weeks we will know for sure. It is a fact, that you buy the LTS on console with Zen. 16750, if I remember correctly.

As far as I am aware on the console it's you either free to play or you play with the console version of the LTS which does not include the 500 Zen monthly stipend found on the PC.

Since you can purchase the LTS using Zen on the console, then it makes sense to me that the console's LTS does not give a Zen stipend. That means you can get a LTS for free by simply grinding Dil for Zen. While someone has spent money to purchase Zen (the only way Zen is placed in the Dil Exchange), players grinding for Zen do not directly contribute to Cryptic Studio's revenues. Unlike on the PC side where you need a credit card to purchase the LTS for $200 (on sale) or $300. Therefore, to me it makes sense that the Zen stipend does not exist for the console.

If the consoles' LTS could only be purchased for $200 / $300 with a credit card, then I would expect it to have the Zen stipend. However, doing so completely bypasses both Microsoft and Sony, they would earn no cut of that money. As I mentioned before, MS and Sony gets a cut of "micro" transactions made on their consoles and making the LTS purchasable with Zen rather than directly with real money means console players need to purchase Zen from Cryptic and MS / Sony would get a cut of the that transaction.

On top of that I think the 16.750 Zen price for the console LTS is the full price, not the sale price. In real money that means the full price console LTS is $167.50 vs. $300 for the PC LTS. which can be used to argue against having a Zen stipend for the console LTS. You pay less, you get less in this case no Zen stipend.
    edited September 2016
    It is a sale price: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/star-trek-online/news/detail/10142403-lifetime-subscription-sale

But your argumentation is plausible. Well, maybe I made a mistake by buying it ...
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I see this being more of a "bonus pack" than an LTS. Sure, it includes virtually everything that the PC version of the LTS grants, except the 500 Zen monthly stipend.

If you look at it like a pack and not a "subscription", it may make it easier to decide if it's worth it.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,613 Arc User
    If it includes the 5% XP gain like on PC that can be more helpful than you'd expect for never needing to grind while leveling up.
  • eriksmith80eriksmith80 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    How do you purchase it? I do not see it in the PS4 store, is this only an in-game purchase?
    How do you purchase it? I do not see it in the PS4 store, is this only an in-game purchase?

Did you look in the in-game store? If it's there, that is how you purchase it :)
  • eriksmith80eriksmith80 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > eriksmith80 wrote: »
    >
    > How do you purchase it? I do not see it in the PS4 store, is this only an in-game purchase?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Did you look in the in-game store? If it's there, that is how you purchase it :)

Thanks, I'll check tonight!
  • tauron#0651 tauron Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    seleryn wrote: »

I agree if I understand what you're saying. I don't see how a lifetime subscription purchase wouldn't be a purchase of the monthly subscription for the game's life. This includes 500 Zen per month. Generally, a commitment to subscribe for a longer term includes incentives beyond the normal subscription, thus the preferred pricing and veteran rewards.
  • stoopitnoobstoopitnoob Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I don't regret buying it. I'm loving all the perks. I would have spent the money on keys anyway. It comes down to personal choice.. the value of time or the value of money, whichever is cheapest for you.
    This includes 500 Zen per month.

On PC, at a $300 list price. This is a $200 list price subscription for consoles, that includes the listed benefits. A zen stipend is not listed. But you save 20 months worth of zen stipend buying it.

PCs and consoles are different. PCs have the Kelvin lock box, consoles have the Dominion lock box. Consoles are currently missing a long list of features from PC.
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    You need to remember that the LTS on PC didn't originally carry a stipend, it came in later when veteran rewards reached a cut off point... so I think it is quite possible that further down the line (by which I mean several years) a stipend might eventually become attached to the subscription.
  • stoopitnoobstoopitnoob Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    That would be a great thing. I have a feeling they will create a greater value for the LTS. What would really boost them and can avoid the stipend would be considerable discount on purchases in the store. Considering I piled in 167 dollars for the LTS, that's probably 4 times more than the average player micros during their play. It would keepe buying and shows appreciation for the monetary support and commitment.
  • baz88baz88 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    You need to remember that the LTS on PC didn't originally carry a stipend, it came in later when veteran rewards reached a cut off point... so I think it is quite possible that further down the line (by which I mean several years) a stipend might eventually become attached to the subscription.

It was actually when the game went F2P did they announce the stipend, there needed to be some kind of reason to continue to offer a Membership fee and for a long time LTS was only offered during special events such as preorder launch (which is when I got it) hence LTS members would also get stiffed by F2P so in a way it's also a consolation to LTSers.
  • firdeodfirdeod Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thanks for the discussion; this saved me from a very disappointing purchase!

I made the mistake of researching it online and had assumed that the stipend of zen was included (until finding this thread of course). The main value for me would have been the stipend, so I went ahead and picked up a couple quality of life items (bank space, etc) instead.
    edited October 2016
    List price is $100 less so it evens out.

It doesn't make sense to buy the PC version for the stipend either. I'm happy with mine for the ships, android, respec tokens, 5% XP boost, etc.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    List price is $100 less so it evens out.

It doesn't make sense to buy the PC version for the stipend either. I'm happy with mine for the ships, android, respec tokens, 5% XP boost, etc.

Yep! I bought a lifetime membership on Xbox One for the extras that came with it and am happy with the purchase. I spend money on games as it, if I'm enjoying them and want to delve deeper. I haven't gotten either of my Liberated Borg or Talaxian characters along very far as of yet (still leveling up earlier ones), but I'm glad to add those races to the Federation mix.