test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Earning Iconian Marks

gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
I know earning marks is a grind, but earning Iconinan marks is a hassle beyond the normal grind. I start by going to Kobali prime and do the ground missions that award Iconian marks, your first completion earns you about 65 marks. After that you are awarded just 5 or 6 marks. There are the PVE queues you can do, but with PVE's all but dead it sometimes takes up to a half hour before you get a enough players for a group. I don't know how many marks it awards because I have yet to get one of the PVEs to start. I'm looking at a long haul of play time to get enough for the rep gear I want. What really needs to happen is an Iconian battle zone like the Dyson ground battle zone. A few missions that award a decent amount of marks for a reasonable amount of time. A good hour of play time on the Dyson battle ground can earn you about 200 marks, yet for the same amount of time you might earn about 100 Iconian marks on Kobali.

Comments

• delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    Keep doing the Koboli missions. You'll get datacores which you will need to get the gear. If you are in a fleet ask your fleet mates for help in doing Advanced missions for Gateway To Greathor, Brotherhood of the Sword and the other mission that I can't think of right now
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    You can also get Iconian Marks from the Na'Kuhl Red Alert as well as from the Badlands Battle Zone by Deep Space Nine.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Well finely got into a PVE, The Herald Sphere, and without the daily bonus I got 32 Iconian Marks. This is a poor reward in my opinion.
    Yes all those suggestions give out Iconian marks, just not enough for the time invested in playing those misions. Say your goal is 200 marks a day. Kobali ground missions don't take much time so starting there you earn 70 marks. Then a huge chunk of time is spent either waiting for a queue to fill up of flying to the various places where you can earn. In all you are looking at 2 to 3 hours after that to grind out the remaining 130 marks. It's not like Omega marks or Dyson marks where you can go to their battle zones and stack up with several missions and after an hour you have a nice addition of marks.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    you should have done the recently finished mirror event, you were offered a choice of any of the currently available marks on completion of each mission run and when depositing the Multidimensional Transporter token from each run into the event project.

for example by playing this event I earned enough marks to completely fill the temporal reputation on my main character as well as enough marks to create sponsorship for my 5 other characters and also enough marks on those 5 other characters to complete the temporal reputation twice over due to the 50% sponsorship discount.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• dragnockdragnock Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    brotherhood of the sword elite, you only need to know what ur doing and its easy and its doable, with weak characters too don't activate the iconian tech till the requirements of each area are done or kill the fist wave know the 4 possible spawn points of the tech that's really all there is too it
    I did take advantage of the Mirror event and choose Iconian marks. It did help but the initial problem is still relevant. After your initial daily bonus, your earned marks drop drastically. most of the other reps have a place where you can go and have multiple mark awards available, making those 5 to 10 marks seem not so low because you get more then one awarded.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    If you did the Temporal Recruit event it had huge marks rewards for your TOS captain. That gave me enough for the reputation and marks for the space set.

The Mirror Invasion was an easy 110 - 120 marks a day, plus the end bonus, plus the secondary project after that. If you did all 21 days you'd have almost 3,000 marks.

Otherwise, the trick is to be more patient and not do so much 5-point grinding. Do something else, and add a couple of days where you get the bonus marks package instead. 1 day = 55 marks = 11 grinds skipped.
    edited September 2016
    You can also get Iconian Marks from the Na'Kuhl Red Alert as well as from the Badlands Battle Zone by Deep Space Nine.

The Badlands battle zone does not award Iconian marks.
    If you did the Temporal Recruit event it had huge marks rewards for your TOS captain. That gave me enough for the reputation and marks for the space set.

The Mirror Invasion was an easy 110 - 120 marks a day, plus the end bonus, plus the secondary project after that. If you did all 21 days you'd have almost 3,000 marks.

The recruitment event was a good source of marks, however I used those bonus marks to work on the temporal reputation which was new, so no sponsorship bonus. Same with the Mirror event, but I selected fleet marks for the daily rewards so as to help my fleet and to earn fleet credit to get promoted in the fleet. It comes down to this, all other reps have a place where you can go and from start to finish you have multiple marks awarded. be it through missions you accept or moving from capture point to capture point then the boss's at the end of battle zones. Iconian rep is the only one where you are almost solely reliant on PVEs and a small portion of the Kobali battle zone.
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Iconian Stf's in my option do payout very poorly compared to some others. It may take me weeks to earn enough marks from Kobali just doing the last 2 missions daily, but as someone who is also not a fan of the iconian stf's I can be patient. There's a couple of decent free space sets to see me through until I have enough marks, like the Phased Quantum or Jem'hadar set or even Solane.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    gholendhor wrote: »

The Badlands battle zone does not award Iconian marks.

You're right, it's Temporal and Terran Marks, my bad.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Well finely got into a PVE, The Herald Sphere, and without the daily bonus I got 32 Iconian Marks. This is a poor reward in my opinion.

Gateway to Grethor, do it once per day, get the daily bonus and the marks for doing it well and it's 110 to 120 marks per run.

Do it on advanced (which is a popular enough queue that you can manage it once per day) and you'll also get all the Iconian Orb thingies you need for whatever rep items you plan to purchase (I'm guessing the 4pc set).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I feel the OP's pain, and have no good solution. My ideas for a Herald Red Alert were presented as a possible solution to the problem and was reacted to in typical STO fashion:
    "It's too late now for new Iconian stuff, and besides, the Iconian Rep gear doesn't sell well anyway."
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Say your goal is 200 marks a day.

I think I found a problem here. Not arguing the numbers (for now), but don't set too sharp a goal if you realize it's too hard.

About the numbers: as you know, your first rep of the day will give that sweet daily bonus. After that it really becomes slow, depending on what rep you actually are hunting. If you want to be effective, do only one per day and have patience.

(But yes, I agree, Ico is one of the harder ones to come by. That's where the "pick your rep" thingies come in, mostly from events. A "Herald Red Alert" would make no sense however, since the Iconians are an active threat only for a very short span within a captain's career. They don't appear in person (or via herald) before "Uneasy Allies" - except for that one time at Q'onos - and we're at peace with them at the end of the arc. Unlike Borg, Tholians (who are both continuing threats storywise) and Na'kuhl (who with their time travels can appear whenever they like) a "Red Alert", convenient as it would be, wouldn't fit the storyline.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    My temporal agent did brotherhood elite to grind out the marks needed. It's not a great solution but that queue pops quite often. Grethor is ok once every so often, but the reward/time ratio is not very good. I only do it if there are already 3 or 4 people queued up already. My only real advice is to vary where you get your marks and only do 1 or 2 things a day to prevent burnout.
    edited September 2016
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Say your goal is 200 marks a day.

I think I found a problem here. Not arguing the numbers (for now), but don't set too sharp a goal if you realize it's too hard.

About the numbers: as you know, your first rep of the day will give that sweet daily bonus. After that it really becomes slow, depending on what rep you actually are hunting. If you want to be effective, do only one per day and have patience.

(But yes, I agree, Ico is one of the harder ones to come by. That's where the "pick your rep" thingies come in, mostly from events. A "Herald Red Alert" would make no sense however, since the Iconians are an active threat only for a very short span within a captain's career. They don't appear in person (or via herald) before "Uneasy Allies" - except for that one time at Q'onos - and we're at peace with them at the end of the arc. Unlike Borg, Tholians (who are both continuing threats storywise) and Na'kuhl (who with their time travels can appear whenever they like) a "Red Alert", convenient as it would be, wouldn't fit the storyline.

The story sets it up with T'ket's last speech.

If Heralds are off the table, there are still the Elachi, who were never defeated.
  • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I feel the OP's pain, and have no good solution. My ideas for a Herald Red Alert were presented as a possible solution to the problem and was reacted to in typical STO fashion:
    "It's too late now for new Iconian stuff, and besides, the Iconian Rep gear doesn't sell well anyway."

How do you sell rep gear?
    ITPaladin.png
    edited September 2016
    How do you sell rep gear?

STO sells it to you for Dil, Rep specific tokens, and marks.
    Ok, to show you that 200 isn't a far reaching goal in mark collecting. I did a Dyson Sphere ground battle zone run. In the hour and a half of running around completing the missions I earned 250 Dyson marks. well over my intended goal. The run I wouldn't even call a good run because I only got to fight one T-rex and only completed 2 or 3 capture spots. Now to achieve those numbers on my Iconian rep it would take me well over three hours to get, if not more depending on how many are queued up for PVE.
    edited September 2016
    I did take advantage of the Mirror event and choose Iconian marks. It did help but the initial problem is still relevant. After your initial daily bonus, your earned marks drop drastically. most of the other reps have a place where you can go and have multiple mark awards available, making those 5 to 10 marks seem not so low because you get more then one awarded.

I cant really see what you are referring to here but I will only reiterate that I played the mirror event with 6 characters once every day that the event was active not just enough to get the main reward but also on the remaining bonus days, this gave me enough marks on my main character to go from 0 temporal reputation to 55,000 of the required 100,000 reputation to reach tier 5 so far and currently leaving me with 2,115 spare marks that is more then enough to fill the reputation with the required 540 marks and 5x100 marks to create the sponsorship tokens for my 5 other characters.
    assuming that my other 5 characters received approximately the same number of marks and taking into account the 50% discount they will get with sponsorship they should have at least twice the amount of marks to go from 0 to tier 5 with marks to spare.

I guess if you want to buy loads of items from the reputation store you may need to earn marks from an alternative sauce but you should have had more then enough marks to fill the reputation to tier 5 if you played the event as I did.

the only thing I can suggest is to put your reputation on hold if you cant find any good alternative sauce for marks and wait for the next event, try raising winter epohh in the winter event for example and get your marks that way.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2016

I guess if you want to buy loads of items from the reputation store you may need to earn marks from an alternative sauce ...

the only thing I can suggest is to put your reputation on hold if you cant find any good alternative sauce

Once I would call a typo, twice I would call on purpose?

ITPaladin.png
  • misterlozmisterloz Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Do this rotation as I find it worked for me:

Go to Kobali Prime and head to the Upper Hillside Base after collecting the missions. The marks are low but you really are only doing these for the Iconian Datacores.

Queue up for Brotherhood of the Sword elite (higher marks and 2x IDCs)

When you've finished queue for Gateway to Grethor advanced. This will net you about 75 marks and 1 IDC.

Now run one or both of the Kobali missions until your timers run down on BOTSE then wash rince and repeat.

Alternatively you can skip the Kobali missions and run Na'khul alerts as well for added marks.

With luck you can net 750 marks and enough IDCs to get one piece of gear per day.
    edited September 2016
    itpalg wrote: »

I guess if you want to buy loads of items from the reputation store you may need to earn marks from an alternative sauce ...

the only thing I can suggest is to put your reputation on hold if you cant find any good alternative sauce

Once I would call a typo, twice I would call on purpose?

its funny, I see major spelling mistakes (not typo's) from other posters all of the time on this forum, I don't want to be some other kind of major in pointing them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGdjKvivJA8

edited September 2016
    After reading these posts that were written while I slept, Some might still not understand what I'm trying to convey. This is not about leveling up my reputation. One daily mark reward is sufficient for that process. This is about earning marks for the Rep gear, and there not being an equal footing for the Iconian Rep. I know where to get Iconian marks. I have plenty of data cores. I'm just a little annoyed that it will take a little longer to earn the marks needed for the gear. Just remember when the Iconian rep was introduced the only way to earn marks for it was PVEs. It was only some time later when they added the ability to earn marks on Kobali, and only for the two final missions on the planet. So while someone who is trying to earn marks for any other rep has a place where they can go and from start to finish, they can earn a fairly good size chunk of marks per day. The Iconian rep is limited to 2 ground missions and a handful of PVEs, with said ground missions awarding a pitiful 5 marks for completion if you have already gotten your daily bonus. One of my previous post shows how earning Dyson marks in good numbers is easy. 4 days with an hour and a half of your time per day, doing the ground battle zone run can earn you 1000 marks. Just try getting the same amount in Iconian marks. It still can be done in 4 days but you will be playing more hours per day.
    Post edited by gholendhor on
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    a few of my characters got their iconian marks from risa's parrots and monkeys , it was pretty much enough to complete the rep and get either a ground or space set , when does the winter event begin , i suppose you could earn them there also .