test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I feel like Federation is the "correct" way to play this game.

Comments

• Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Personally I think they should:

Merge all zones so you can see each other in space/ground regardless of faction etc, restrict some systems based on faction, bring back the random red clouds that popped up every other minute with no time gates to enter and add a PVP flag to these PVE zones and make the drops from the NPC's better.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    The Federation route is most polished way to experience STO; That doesn't mean it's the best. Before merging into the Alliance shared narrative both the KDF and Romulan factions offer their Captains a unique experience that makes a reasonable attempt to capture the essence of the respective Empires within the confines of the MMO medium.

The KDF story has some hits some high points when measured against content across the game and touches on themes integral to the identity of Klingons. The gameplay itself has suffered some neglect when compared to the Romulan and particularly the Federation experience. The Romulan story was created as a whole for the Legacy of Romulus expansion, is tighter and feels more cohesive. While it has not received an overhaul since it's introduction it was a purpose built package and it shows. In contrast the KDF arcs were partially built from prexiting missions. Some flow together well but others seem as though they were placed together more hastily and derail the flow or feel like a detour.

The Federation arcs have been remastered thoroughly over STO's lifespan. Any content exclusive to Starfleet Captains has been revisited and improved. The faction has always been perceived as the gateway to the greater game, has the largest player population and inevitably receives the most significant portion of dev time as a consequence.

My criticism in regard to the Klingon arcs stems from a design ethos which is feels out of sync with the rest of the MMO. Foremost it suffers from scaling issues. While the Federation campaign elegantly completes themed storylines bridged by promotions the KDF missions stumble through them erratically requiring periodic visits to experience farming sites to make up for the deficits. When these issues first arise a Klingon Captain is ineligible for because their level is too low. Almost from inception and by design the player is made to feel as though they must play catch up.

Missions are truncuated by lingering sector travel that Federation missions have abreviated to a warp animation followed by arrival at the destination. Missions often feel as though the goalposts have moved. Where early Federation missions engage new players with swift progression and gradually build on the fundamentals of gameplay the Klingon tutorial sometimes feels like it is abandoning you in a snowstorm on Rura Penthe; Then it does.

The Klingon story as a whole; Not just the pure story elements that constitute it's big ideas has the potential to be the greatest story of the three but it requires the attention and polish the other treatments have received in order to do that. There is a diamond in the rough, gem of a story, and some capital VO work that's already part of the package but the gameplay when compared to the rest will and likely has already pushed potential members of the KDF away.

As is I think it is worthwhile to give the Klingon Arc a go. There are unique and worthwhile experiences to be had while serving the Empire. Before you do I would suggest playing some of the Federation or Romulan content first as they do a better job of sharing the elementary concepts. The worst thing that could happen is you will learn to pilot a raider, "not like a fed" should you decide to try out the Ouroboros in the endgame :). Best of luck and have fun.

battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    fallenangel1963fallenangel1963 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    jmadfour wrote: »
    so outside of just really liking the way Warbirds look or just wanting to be Worf, why wouldn't you play Federation? you know?

Well, mostly because I do not like it much? Perhaps its because I am not that much of a ST fan, but the whole Starfleet/Federation thing just kinda bores me a bit. I find the Romulan/Klingon stories and style much more interesting. That's not to say I will not play Federation, I have a Vulcan Scientist who is cool and I am looking forward to making a 23rd Century character when consoles get that expansion, but my main is defiantly going to my Orion Klingion! (She looks amazing, ships look great and I am enjoying the story so far)

That being said I do see what you mean. From what little I have played on the Federation side it feels a lot more polished and updated then the others. Again though, thats not going to make me play the story as anything other then an alt.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I have one overwhelming reason why I like to roll a Rom every so often -

No spoilers here, but it makes the conclusion of the Brea III ground action in "Cutting the Cord" just so damned satisfying.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Is it really surprising that the Federation, which was the focused of ALL the TV shows and movies have tons more content then races that were the focus of NONE of the TV shows and movies?

no, but I'm wondering why they even bothered making the other factions at all if they were gonna half-**** it in comparison to the Federation.

especially since the Federation is the focus of ALL the TV shows and Movies, and the other faction were the focus of NONE of thw TV shows and movies.

This goes back all the way to the beginning. Before beta, the original devs made some statements that suggested Klingons would be a full fledged second faction. Later when it was revealed that Klingons were actually more of a LotRO monster play style PvP only faction Klingon fans were outraged, and as a result the devs promised to bring the Klingon PvE experience closer to that of the feds.

Fast forward to today and the Klingons do indeed have a full PvE experience, however due to budget reasons much of it is shared with Feds. So to answer your original question it feels like it was tacked on because, well, it was tacked on, because the original intent was for Klingons to more or less be a PvP only faction.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Did you miss House Pegh?
    House Pegh was interesting. A group of misfits and outcasts of dubious honor who claimed they did not represent Empire... are what other players hold up as a representation of the Empire. I guess it's like saying "hey, you have that Section 31 episode. they accurately represent Starfleet".

Then the Clone of Kahless throws in his lot with a group of outcasts... and dies in their company. Rather than redeeming said outcasts, "House" Pegh proves itself to be justly deserving of it's dark reputation. I'm surprised the High Council did not ship the members of "House" Pegh off to Rura Pente. Failure is not treated well within the Empire.

Well, the Klingon Empire of Star Trek does not treat failure well. Cryptic's "kinder, gentler" Klingon Empire probably gave "House" Pegh a fruit basket and bath salts.
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    BAH.
    Feds. :(
    Nothing good comes from that direction.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Without all the power creep and knowing how to build alpha strikers or ultimate machines of destruction...

PvP can be decent. The last decent duel I had in Ker'rat was actually against someone who wasn't built for PvP. It was cruiser on cruiser, and it was less about sheer damage and more about abilities and timing of said abilities. I actually had fun.

I don't find being on the recieving end of a vape build fun.

Yeah, it can be fun that way. (Arguably some of my ships are turning into vapers with the new temporal stuff, but other than that...)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I think its worthwhile reading the Lore arc between 2387 - 2409, the entire story is on the STO wiki. Suffice to say, a LOT happened, such as the discovery of Species 8472, now recognised as the Undine in the Alpha Quadrant, their infiltration of the Klingons, and the Borg have become significantly weakened after Janeway blew up their transwarp hub and killed the Queen at that time (she has since been replaced, but thats a story for another time), and as for the destruction of Romulus........

My god, SO much has happened on the Romulan side. Politics, lots and lots of it. The Romulan Republic fighting a re-appeared Taris AND Sela. Its worth remembering that Taris sent Sela into exile, where she built a new army, then when Taris mysteriously disappeared, Sela marched in and took over. Now, in 2409, Taris has re-appeared, and her position seems to be uncertain - she doesn't like Sela's goals of a new Tal Shiar, but she isnt happy about the idea of the Romulan Republic either.

The Romulan storyline is by far the most interesting of the three, I have always found the Federation too bland, pristine, law abiding and holier-than-thou.

Plus, the Romulan Warbirds can be made to look absolutely cool, especially if you apply the Reman skins. I think the Romulans, especially when aligned to the KDF, are pure badass. Most of the captains are not much more than mercenaries and are for the most part merely aiding the Romulan Republic in a time of need.

So yeah, happy with my choice of playing a KDF-aligned Romulan, and have no aims of playing federation at all.
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I see why over 70% of the players are Federation.

I'm not very far yet in the Fed story, but it just feels like Fed side is the way the Devs intended you to play, and how the game was clearly designed. Klingon and Romulan feel kinda just tacked on top of it haphazardly.

the game just feels more complete overall as a Fed. the little things and details seems more fleshed out, with more love put into them, than the Romulan/Klingon sides.

the overwhelming focus on the Fed side compared to the others is fairly obvious. The Feds flat out have MORE of everything, and it is all better done, with more detail and care.

so outside of just really liking the way Warbirds look or just wanting to be Worf, why wouldn't you play Federation? you know?

You want to know why Feds have more? Look to Geko and his well publicized disdain for anything that isn't Starfleet. Especially when his precious Excelsior got popped like a balloon the day after it was released.

Want to know a reason why not everyone wants to play Starfleet Online? Bortasqu' bridge ****s all over Fed bridges for starters. Not everyone wants to fly the pancake and sausage ships with their sterile bridges. Not everyone can stomach the peace loving, carebear feel in Starfleet. Marauding, piracy both sound more fun than diplomacy.

The rest of the post is a shoot, and my opinion. Not necessarily shared by everyone.

Those who stick around as KDF/Romulan are tougher, willing to work what little scraps we have. We love the mud and blood. We're the ones who say, "Talk **** and get hit." We'll be on Risa, taking your girl, while kicking sand in your face, or in space, taking your crew as trophies for our ships while tattooing "Property of the KDF/Republic" on your ship's aft section with our cannons. Why? Because we have Gorn like crashdragon, and we're just plain better. You have the Galaxy Dreadnought, the Constitution, and the Sovereign ships for looks. We have the Qudaj variant Negh'var, Mogh, Ning'tao, Ch'tang, Bortasqu', and the Vor'cha. Another reason, KDF fleet starbase bar has strippers and trophies.

You threw out the 70%+ for Federation. More popular doesn't mean better. Look at Justin Bieber, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus.

If everyone wanted easy, the Fedophile faction would have all the players. Some like me, prefer the challenge, the story, the atmosphere of the KDF/Romulan factions. The aggression, or the subterfuge over the "We are Starfleet. We will take what you have, whether it is Subspace Jumper, Plasmonic Leech, Bio-Neural Warhead, cannon mounted cruisers, carriers, or cloaks...and make them our own. You will be assimilated." At least with the Borg, when they assimilate you, they install a supercharger and arm cannon.

The only reason I actually have an AoY toon, is to milk it for the free stuff(including dilithium) to my KDF/Rom toons, before I throw it into the freezer.

Why don't I play Federation? Because I am better than that. And I would quit STO if they decided to drop the Romulans/KDF and make it Starfleet only. Take your Prime Directive, your Omega Directive, your Excelsiors, and shove them up your exhaust port.
  • Options
    mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    i guess that they went out of ideas when they maked them, so they decided to align them, so not to think what to do with them

tho there are some interesting foundry missions, i guess if they would take look at them, we could get a LoR II :)
  • Options
    bogarmwitch#2796 bogarmwitch Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

I'm not very far yet in the Fed story, but it just feels like Fed side is the way the Devs intended you to play, and how the game was clearly designed. Klingon and Romulan feel kinda just tacked on top of it haphazardly.

the game just feels more complete overall as a Fed. the little things and details seems more fleshed out, with more love put into them, than the Romulan/Klingon sides.

the overwhelming focus on the Fed side compared to the others is fairly obvious. The Feds flat out have MORE of everything, and it is all better done, with more detail and care.

You want to know why Feds have more? Look to Geko and his well publicized disdain for anything that isn't Starfleet. Especially when his precious Excelsior got popped like a balloon the day after it was released.

Want to know a reason why not everyone wants to play Starfleet Online? Bortasqu' bridge ****s all over Fed bridges for starters. Not everyone wants to fly the pancake and sausage ships with their sterile bridges. Not everyone can stomach the peace loving, carebear feel in Starfleet. Marauding, piracy both sound more fun than diplomacy.

The rest of the post is a shoot, and my opinion. Not necessarily shared by everyone.

Those who stick around as KDF/Romulan are tougher, willing to work what little scraps we have. We love the mud and blood. We're the ones who say, "Talk **** and get hit." We'll be on Risa, taking your girl, while kicking sand in your face, or in space, taking your crew as trophies for our ships while tattooing "Property of the KDF/Republic" on your ship's aft section with our cannons. Why? Because we have Gorn like crashdragon, and we're just plain better. You have the Galaxy Dreadnought, the Constitution, and the Sovereign ships for looks. We have the Qudaj variant Negh'var, Mogh, Ning'tao, Ch'tang, Bortasqu', and the Vor'cha. Another reason, KDF fleet starbase bar has strippers and trophies.

You threw out the 70%+ for Federation. More popular doesn't mean better. Look at Justin Bieber, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus.

If everyone wanted easy, the Fedophile faction would have all the players. Some like me, prefer the challenge, the story, the atmosphere of the KDF/Romulan factions. The aggression, or the subterfuge over the "We are Starfleet. We will take what you have, whether it is Subspace Jumper, Plasmonic Leech, Bio-Neural Warhead, cannon mounted cruisers, carriers, or cloaks...and make them our own. You will be assimilated." At least with the Borg, when they assimilate you, they install a supercharger and arm cannon.

The only reason I actually have an AoY toon, is to milk it for the free stuff(including dilithium) to my KDF/Rom toons, before I throw it into the freezer.

Why don't I play Federation? Because I am better than that. And I would quit STO if they decided to drop the Romulans/KDF and make it Starfleet only. Take your Prime Directive, your Omega Directive, your Excelsiors, and shove them up your exhaust port.

Jolan Tru! Qapla' batlh je! I play a Romulan who turned to the Klingon alliance. Why? Just for that reason. Who wants that prime directive bleeding the Romulan cause out because they don't interfere with the extinction or development of peoples? Before I even played the story, I could tell right off. 3 minutes of listening to Jiro Sugihara sealed the deal for me. Klingons all the way. With Romulan savvy and Klingon might, the feds can gth, or Nukara Prime, that planet was badass.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Despite what some people think, there's not some grand conspiracy to not create content for the KDF or Romulans.

Players would play KDF and Romulan toons regardless of how poor the content is, if they wanted to. That's proven by the players that are diehard KDF and Romulan players and are vocal about it on the forums and in game. There are just more players that choose to play Fed - not because they find the KDF or Rom content to be lacking, but because they just prefer the Federation for whatever personal reasons they have - so the developers put their focus where they feel it needs to be, in order to support the majority of the player base. It's not at the expense of the rest of the player base, it's just the way the metrics lean and where the profit is.

Money and demand have always driven businesses in the past, I don't see why some folks can't understand that that's not going to change.

As has been mentioned, they have done quite a bit with the cross-faction missions that lean towards KDF-centric plots, and will continue to do so with future cross-faction play.

I agree that the one area that they've let the game go is PVP, but honestly, PVPers have always been a very small - yet very vocal - minority in every MMO. Does that mean that they should just remove PVP or continue to let it go into the crapper? Not at all. They'll most likely get around to working on it eventually, but it will never be a primary focus for STO. Nor should it be.

It's also worth mentioning that one developer doesn't decide the direction that the game will go and can't arbitrarily decide to ignore something if there's a profit in it. If the metrics were to change, then the model would change.

In other words, if you want more players to play KDF, hold events to get them involved, throw a PVP tournament and give away prizes to entice people to get involved with your faction, create KDF Foundry missions and advertise them. Gather others who feel the same way as you do, and start having constructive, cost-effective and realistic discussions on how the KDF and PVP can be improved and try to draw some developers that are sympathetic to your cause into those discussions.

In other words, stop moaning about it and do something to improve the situation.
  • Options
    mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    i don't see whats with PVP, as there isn't any reward for it, only thing why it worth is accolades, tho no one don't playing that so i guess that accolades will take years if not decades to achive them.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    i don't see whats with PVP, as there isn't any reward for it, only thing why it worth is accolades, tho no one don't playing that so i guess that accolades will take years if not decades to achive them.
    you used to be able to grind dil by pvping, but.... peeps did it as quickly as possible, thus they didn't really try to win at pvp...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Including a lot of the Romulans. Since all Romulans have to choose either Fed or Klingon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »

*snip*

You know what man, I never read what you write anymore. It's the same thing every time. I'd imagine the devs feel the same way.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    A better question is, how does STO fit Federation patterns? It doesn't.

I mean; you travel around and receive meteoric promotion for your ability to defeat waves of enemies. Your Captain selects a customised ship to his specifications, crews it with a handpicked assortment of officers, and then proceeds to maraud around the galaxy fighting his nation's enemies. Victory in battle is rewarded by better weaponry to fight more battles. This is pretty well the established model for a captain serving one of the Great Houses.

Sorry - Starfleet may get most of the cosmetics, but the basic gameplay is well and truly KLINGON.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    staq16 wrote: »

I mean; you travel around and receive meteoric promotion for your ability to defeat waves of enemies. Your Captain selects a customised ship to his specifications, crews it with a handpicked assortment of officers, and then proceeds to maraud around the galaxy fighting his nation's enemies. Victory in battle is rewarded by better weaponry to fight more battles. This is pretty well the established model for a captain serving one of the Great Houses.

Sorry - Starfleet may get most of the cosmetics, but the basic gameplay is well and truly KLINGON.

Q'apla!

So get off your knees and soar! Open your eyes and let the dream take flight! - Captain Korris - ST:TNG - Heart of Glory
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    staq16 wrote: »

That's a great argument for letting Fed captains fly KDF ships! ;)

( I thoroughly enjoyed the KDF faction story, and have 3 KDF captains to play not farm. )

• Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    Unfortunately the reason for this goes far beyond the game itself. Even with shows like TNG, DS9 and Voyager fleshing out the other factions a bit more. Klingons and Romulans have never been the focus of the shows. So we've only seen things from the perspective of the Feds even when entire episodes were devoted to the Klingons in TNG/DS9 and Voyager. We've always seen it from a human perspective or at least the Star Trek human perspective.

We were given glimpses into the societies and the cultures of these two other factions. But never given much of a chance to attach ourselves to them like we did with the Federation. Im not even sure a Romulan or Klingon devoted TV show would help much. The biggest problem with Star Trek was that it was always adding onto the Klingons or Romulans rather than actually making them their own entities from the start.
  • Options
    myko9myko9 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    The correct way is to roll a Romulan Tac, get as many SROs as possible, get a Scimitar and FAW everything till it dies. Everything else is roleplay.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    myko9 wrote: »
    The correct way is to roll a Romulan Tac, get as many SROs as possible, get a Scimitar and FAW everything till it dies. Everything else is roleplay.

no, that's the min/max munchkin way to roll a Romulan, not the correct way. The correct way is to make a character you like and play how its fun for you.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Because Romulans and Klingons are very popular races amongst the fans and cryptic wanted our cash... so they threw out some half assed attempts to cash in. Honestly if you play the Romulan story its the best written of the 3, even if you hate what they did with the Romulans as a fraction. If you think the Klingon one is substandard now, you should have seen it before.

I'll tend to agree here. My Main is Federation (and I think the Fed storyline is fine when you're on a Fed character), but I did make a Romulan (and KDF) to experience the content, and I have to say the Romulan story line in itself is the most interesting and well done of the three. Up to the point where you start to play the Fed-centric arcs and everything becomes fairly homogenized.

YMMV of course.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."