test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge officer pathing problems

I decided to do a few story missions today because I needed certain rewards to test out a new build and I ran into a lot of issues with my boffs. While this has always been a problem (at least for me) it seems like its become worse with time. Initially, there were only a few missions where I would encounter issues, but now it seems to happen all the time. My bridge officers are constantly getting stuck in doorways or behind objects and even using the rally point marker I have a lot of problems getting my boffs to go where I want. Sometimes they simply don't follow me at all and again the rally marker doesn't seem to work. It was especially frustrating for me tonight because I couldn't get any of my boffs to follow me and I ended up having to do the entire mission by myself. Luckily, I have good gear and it wasn't a huge issue, but it was still frustrating spending 10 minutes trying to get my boffs to follow me. (/rant)
Tza0PEl.png

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    I've noticed this as well. Go through a door, half the team doesn't come through and you gotta spend 5 minutes or so fighting to get them through the door manually.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    this is why i like dragon age...you can take control of ALL of your party members, not just your character

so if one gets stuck on something, you can switch to them and manually unstick them

come to think of it, i like dragon age for another reason related to AI stupidity - it can be mostly mitigated in that game via use of its tactics system by setting conditions for when any ability can be used, instead of just having them spammed randomly and in inappropriate situations​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    this is why i like dragon age...you can take control of ALL of your party members, not just your character

so if one gets stuck on something, you can switch to them and manually unstick them

come to think of it, i like dragon age for another reason related to AI stupidity - it can be mostly mitigated in that game via use of its tactics system by setting conditions for when any ability can be used, instead of just having them spammed randomly and in inappropriate situations​​

I haven't played a DA game in quite some time. I had forgotten about the condition setting. That was a real nice thing to have. As far as STO goes, My advice is to remove all the gear from your boffs and let them get killed. Don't rez. you don't need them. Besides, they only shoot once every 10 seconds and randomly throw skills around. They will still talk to you. Then you don't need to worry about how horrendous the AI pathing is in STO.
  • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    I have bug reports on this.

Just the other day I was doing a DQ mission, the one with Neelix, Doc, on the Talaxian base with my 2 boffs. One got lost when using the "turbolift" and so I was down a member.
    ITPaladin.png
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    Easy solution: those that do not get stuck, pin them ahead of you.
    Do NOT pin those that are stuck, just go a tad back, collect the lost ones, rinse and repeat where needed, and voila...

Installation 18 is notorious for this, and I lose about 2 minutes getting them in the corridor past the elevator.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    voivodje wrote: »
    Easy solution: those that do not get stuck, pin them ahead of you.
    Do NOT pin those that are stuck, just go a tad back, collect the lost ones, rinse and repeat where needed, and voila...

Installation 18 is notorious for this, and I lose about 2 minutes getting them in the corridor past the elevator.

I find that even this doesn't work. I've had several times where no matter what I do I cannot get boffs to follow me. The mission that stands out in my mind is in the Cardassian arc...the Factory I believe it's called. There are several places where my boffs get stuck and even when I use individual rally markers I still cannot get them to move through doorways and even if I can manage to do it they just get stuck in the next doorway.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    BOs are only part of the issue. Even without them, you can finish missions. Enemies that spawn outside the map and shoot you through the walls or floors... They break the mission, and the only "help" we're given is being told to abort the mission and start over. Of course, since that doesn't fix the problem, you get to the same point and the enemies AGAIN spawn outside the map.

That happened on the Nakul mission to me to quite a bit. I eventually got through that by placing turrets that shot at them through the door. But it was a pain. And so as much as I wanted to get a full set of that ground gear, I didn't bother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    itpalg wrote: »
    I have bug reports on this.

Ditto. For some reason, the new missions are the worst. I'm also having issues with boffs not responding to pins on open ground. It's really annoying when you have to have 2 characters stand on something to activate it.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I do get so very tired of trying to herd my landing party somewhere they can be useful.

I suspect the solution to this will continue being "Get used to it."
  • axegaijin13axegaijin13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    I swear it's like herding cats sometimes. Bridge Officers reach a door and all of a sudden the seem to think they are Vox Machina and have great trouble getting through...
  • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    I swear it's like herding cats sometimes. Bridge Officers reach a door and all of a sudden the seem to think they are Vox Machina and have great trouble getting through...

I actually got this. Anyone else?

#IsItThursdayYet
    ITPaladin.png