test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Recommendations for direct damage science powers?

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
Hello all,
I've discovered my Fleet Temporal Science Vessel melts things so fast, I really don't have time to utilize my drains anymore. So I've decided to go full on damage. What science powers do you recommend that simply do direct damage?
My build
Thanks
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk

Comments

• Options
    dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    That skill planner page isn't loading for me. I'll just go ahead and assume you've put points into Exotic Particle Generator and/or own some good consoles, deflectors, etc. on that front. And a bit of Control Expertise can be helpful, too.

Gravity Well is probably the signature offensive science power. It deals good damage over time while clustering enemies together so warp breaches and powers with smaller AoE can really pound them. I generally run Gravity Well 3 in the commander slot of all my science vessels.

Tyken's Rift deals damage and drains power, but lacks the hold of a gravity well, so enemies can escape more easily. Also, the damage is much lower and the radius seems to be fixed and relatively small.

Destabilizing Resonance Beam fired into a pack of enemies held by Gravity Well can do a lot of damage. I'm pretty sure the beam cuts off if the target moves out of the targeting arc, though.

Feedback Pulse turns the enemy's firepower against them. With high EPG and Aux power (and the Improved FBP trait from the Krenim Science Vessel), it can reflect well over 100% of all energy damage thrown at you. It doesn't reduce that damage at all, so I usually pair it with Polarize Hull if doing something silly like flying into a Vaadwaur barrage.

I've heard Tractor Beam Repulsors can be effective, but that recommendation usually includes acquiring a boff to make it attract enemy ships instead of repel them. I assume that's to get them packed together to do something painful.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Exotic/Drain Combat Sci
    T5U Wells Temporal Science Vessel (Tac toon)
    Current EPG/Drain Build - I regularly swap the Temporal Weapons for Polarons or Polarised Disruptors
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/a7dcc119f3c596f62611c57a93065459 --Current is around 89k Mostly due to Pilot Error :P

T5U Romulan Caprimul DSD/T5U (Eng Toon)
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=caprimulsurvaliancedestroyer_8593
    Currently around 60kdps (engineer + sci dps is hard..)

T6 Eternal Class Multi-Mission Science Vessel (Sci Toon)
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/2f48fb2d0f67fa602ef2960c149b3240
    With Temporal Spec and Abilities 85k

The thing that makes Tykens nasty (Damage wise) is Drain Expertise AND Deteriorating Secondary deflectors (which also scales with EPG). Plus having Anomaly Leach is fun as Tykens will now follow ships..

Tractor Beam Replusor is my Favored ability over Gravity well..But It requires a serious investment in Graga Mal or else you have to be very strategic in its use.. But you can push or Pull escaping ships into a gravitywell or other anomaly.

DRB..(Epilepsy beam) Great with Deteriorating Secondary deflectors as the ability debuffs ,it does more damage..

Youll prolly notice there are 3 different sets...Polaron..has that NASty ISOKENETIC Cannon ...Very awesome 1 hit kills

Temporal Weapons sets...Recharge/Speed Buff and Armor pen...andddd

Qphase which is always tasty with shield stripping Torpedo spread (Qphase Torp) and then the Quantum beam for drain and..death..

These are what I use for Direct sci damage..Very useful when paired with a Crowd control Science type :P
    Post edited by odinforever20000 on

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Gravity Well also pairs nicely with torp spread (especially AOE torps like plasma emission, neutronic, Sunrise q-phase, ...) and I like to toss a Scramble Sensors to get them to attack each other.
  • Options
    Gravity Well also pairs nicely with torp spread (especially AOE torps like plasma emission, neutronic, Sunrise q-phase, ...) and I like to toss a Scramble Sensors to get them to attack each other.

Arent you a crowd control sci ship? :P

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options

Arent you a crowd control sci ship? :P

Scramble is just a little extra flavor, and I use enough exotic particle goodness to do damage :)

My Scryer captain is mostly DPS and control, but the Tetryon beams do a bit of shield drain. My Paradox captain is a little more drainy from using the Sunrise Quantum Phase set. Both blow stuff up good.

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Aside from those already mentioned, Subspace Vortex is really good ability as well that does wicked dmg. Training manual is available from lockbox (can't recall the name off the top of my head) or exchange.

About Tractor Beam Repulsors - I personally use them without the doff (Graga Mal) just fine. You just have to think a bit, opposed to shooting it off as soon as it's off CD, perhaps pair it with GW or just use it against stationary targets if you're not sure. Yes, there are many horror stories out there where people fling enemies around with their improper use of TBR and make others chase them afterwards, but Graga Mal really doesn't help to prevent that. Seen totally clueless players making it hard for everyone else even using doffed TBR so many times.
  • Options
    When do you use normal TBR? I can see maybe trying to push ships away from a portal, but does that give you enough time to close one? It seems easier grav well, torp and beam them into vapor :)
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    When do you use normal TBR? I can see maybe trying to push ships away from a portal, but does that give you enough time to close one? It seems easier grav well, torp and beam them into vapor :)

Portal in what mission? In Counterpoint I just hit immunity (Temporary HP also works) when closing one. In Procyon 5 - I hardly ever play that one.

I use TBR when I want to kill an enemy. I usually tend to play missions with The Science Channel folks nowadays, so there's enough of AoE damage/CC thrown around constantly, thus slightly reckless usage of TBR usually doesn't annoy anyone.

However, as a rule of thumb, in case when I'm dealing with low-HP enemies, they just melt when I hit them with mix of abilities, including TBR. When I'm dealing with high-HP enemies that are not cubes or stationary constructs (i.e. TBR doesn't push them away from their spot), I usually don't use TBR, unless myself or a teammate has caught it in GW.

Also, it's really safe to use TBR when no teammate is near you and all enemy ships are more or less in one direction from you, so you hit TBR and you don't have to worry about flying past them or needing to slow down.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    djf021 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I've discovered my Fleet Temporal Science Vessel melts things so fast, I really don't have time to utilize my drains anymore. So I've decided to go full on damage. What science powers do you recommend that simply do direct damage?
    My build
    Thanks

I think this is the optimal setup for a pure dps nautilus, and so far nobody's been able to prove me wrong.

TL;DR on the powers themselves is Tractor Beam 1, Destablilizing Resonance Beam 1, Subspace Vortex 3, Channeled Deconstruction 1, Chronometric Inversion Field 1, Rapid Decay 2, Gravity Well 3, STructural Integrity Collapse 1 for exotic damage; Tactical Team 1, Kemocite-Laced Weaponry 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1, Torpedo Spread 3 for weapon damage/debuffing, and Emergency to Auxiliary 2 for utility.

SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I've always found that GW3 + Subspace Vortex 3 is a killer combo, especially if you have your EPG skill up over 500.

Something i've not seen mentioned here is the Isokinetic Cannon from the Delta rep weapons 3pc bonus. It has a 1min CD and does a ridiculous amount of single target damage, easily enough to 1-shot a Borg Cube.

@jarvisandalfred 's build looks pretty decent though, so decent in fact i'm tempted to go buy a Nautilus just to give it a shot!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Something i've not seen mentioned here is the Isokinetic Cannon from the Delta rep weapons 3pc bonus. It has a 1min CD and does a ridiculous amount of single target damage, easily enough to 1-shot a Borg Cube.

Nope I mentioned it when listing 3 builds in this thread. :P

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Nope I mentioned it when listing 3 builds in this thread. :P

Whoops! My bad, too tired to even read properly it appears!
    SulMatuul.png