test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Still splitting into seperate instances when playing Foundry with Team

bentillerbentiller Member Posts: 43 Arc User
I have very little faith anything will be done about this, but I'm posting this here anyway.

For the past well-nigh a year now, when playing Foundry missions with a team every time we transfer maps we end up in a separate instance. It doesn't matter what we try or how coordinated we are we always end up in a separate instance. It has made playing Foundry with a team almost impossible. As someone who uses the Foundry an awful lot this is extraordinarily bothersome.

Anyone know if there's anything in the works to fix this? If not, how loudly must I scream and wave my bat'leth around to get it addressed by those whose job it is to fix such things? (I'm also not above a bit of bribery at this point haha)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Work around: play ground only missions or (possibly, but I haven't tested this) space only missions. Teams frequently (if not always) split when there's a change between the two formats.

It's also worth noting that the split-team bug (I think) has also affected Neverwinter in some way. It sounds like whatever's causing it is pretty deep inside the bowels of the game and it may not be something that can be easily fixed (such that screaming at/bribing the devs would do anything. Simply report and let them do their job.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    My hypothesis is that the glitch is related to the way the game spawns instances. IE it happens because the instance is not there yet. quickly exiting and reentering the mission will often fix it... until the next map change.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Work around: play ground only missions or (possibly, but I haven't tested this) space only missions. Teams frequently (if not always) split when there's a change between the two formats.

It's also worth noting that the split-team bug (I think) has also affected Neverwinter in some way. It sounds like whatever's causing it is pretty deep inside the bowels of the game and it may not be something that can be easily fixed (such that screaming at/bribing the devs would do anything. Simply report and let them do their job.)

Actually, no.. the instance-split of the team happens regardless to where you go; merely zoning to another map (part of the mission) can cause this. This glitch has been going over a year too. I did try to see some regularity to as to how and when it happens, to no avail, unfortunately.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

edited September 2016
    Actually, no.. the instance-split of the team happens regardless to where you go; merely zoning to another map (part of the mission) can cause this. This glitch has been going over a year too. I did try to see some regularity to as to how and when it happens, to no avail, unfortunately.

Recently, the Foundry Roundtable was able to stream two multi-map ground-only test missions without team splitting (Midas Part 3 WIP and Echoes WIP). Zeronius Rex also had a group livestream of One Too Many, which was another ground-only mission with a number of map transfers. No issue again. We have had issues with team splitting, but only on mixed Ground/Space missions (AEI environment test WIP). That could be coincidence, but the probability for that with these examples (which is what I have to go on right now) seems to be very low (it's less than 1% if splitting occurs more frequently than not per affected map change.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    Team splitting isn't restricted to Foundry missions. I've also had it happen while playing Cryptic's own episode content.
    again, it think it's caused by the way the game has to create new instances. Sometimes it just doesn't put everyone in the same one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • bentillerbentiller Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've done missions that are ground-only or space only and still have the team-splitting thing come into play. That was a few months ago, so maybe that much has been fixed by now. Hopefully!
    edited September 2016
    Recently, the Foundry Roundtable was able to stream two multi-map ground-only test missions without team splitting (Midas Part 3 WIP and Echoes WIP). Zeronius Rex also had a group livestream of One Too Many, which was another ground-only mission with a number of map transfers. No issue again. We have had issues with team splitting, but only on mixed Ground/Space missions (AEI environment test WIP). That could be coincidence, but the probability for that with these examples (which is what I have to go on right now) seems to be very low (it's less than 1% if splitting occurs more frequently than not per affected map change.)

Tried some ground Foundry business again tonight on roundtab. Team split on ground only content!

Toss that one out the window. I was starting to suspect that maybe there had been some relatively reccent improvement since the issue was first reported and tested (such that in some cases it doesn't break now, ie. ground) but it seems that the question is up to variables which may not be visible (ie. to do with networking, such that a given group may not see the problem as frequently because of exactly how they're being connected to instances) or it's just random/chaotic.

might be lag influenced. IE if one player takes longer to load then he gets shifted.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Somebody on the Master Bug Thread suggested that it occurred only on indoor ground maps, not on space maps or outdoor ground maps. That squares with my own experience playing "Distorted Sight" recently, but that's the only time I've played a Foundry mission with another person recently so I can't say any more. Can anyone confirm or disprove?

By the way, "Distorted Sight" may be broken - it cuts off after quite a short time, at a point that seems like it shouldn't be the end of the story. It doesn't come up as "mission complete", there's still an objective to do, "Analyse the Situation", but there's nothing to interact with on the map and no way out of the room you're in. Is anyone able to contact Cyconianlord and find out whether that is, in fact, all there is of it, or whether there is more but it's not displaying? Would be a pity if it was only a bug that was stopping it being complete, as it's a most original mission!
This discussion has been closed.