test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So.. no character sharing on PC > Console. Great for new players! Sad for current players...

Comments

• Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    There is no reason other then greed on Perfect worlds part for this...

You can link accounts already.. just not what you bought.. so that is already there. There is no reason other then wanting players to spend more money.

I have no issue starting a new captain that's fine.. but to force people to rebuy all the ships they already paid for.. ya only reason for that is greed..

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    d0nomega wrote: »
    I honestly thought you could, maybe because I saw level 60 characters 2 days after the console launch lol
    You could easily get to Level 60 in less than a day.
    No, I couldn't I don't have that much time free on a typical day, and even when I have, I can't "easily" play the game that long.
    Sure you could. You just refuse to.
    If "easy" means "play STO all day", then easy has no meaning.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    kelshando wrote: »

You can link accounts already.. just not what you bought.. so that is already there. There is no reason other then wanting players to spend more money.

I have no issue starting a new captain that's fine.. but to force people to rebuy all the ships they already paid for.. ya only reason for that is greed..

You realize that Cryptic is losing 30% to MS/Sony on every ship sold compared to the PC version, right? And if you brought $100 worth of stuff you bought on the PC over they would still want their 30% of it?
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I honestly thought you could, maybe because I saw level 60 characters 2 days after the console launch lol
    No, I couldn't I don't have that much time free on a typical day, and even when I have, I can't "easily" play the game that long.
    Special doff missions drop from the infinity lock box and grant 20,000 XP each. Temporal Research Assignments and Mirror Incursion Assignments specifically. You'll need to buy them up for a couple of million EC each but considering that you can run 20 at a time for 4 hours for 20,000 xp each. Let's see 20,000 x 20 = 400,000 XP in 4 hours. This doesn't account for criticals so you could easily get over 500,000 in 4 hours. You can also run story missions while you wait if you want but you don't need to. Since you need 1.5 million total XP to get to Level 60, you would merely need to log in at the most 4 different times and run your 20 doff missions assuming that you can afford them and assuming that you never crit.

Like I said, it's easy.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Special doff missions drop from the infinity lock box and grant 20,000 XP each. Temporal Research Assignments and Mirror Incursion Assignments specifically. You'll need to buy them up for a couple of million EC each but considering that you can run 20 at a time for 4 hours for 20,000 xp each. Let's see 20,000 x 20 = 400,000 XP in 4 hours. This doesn't account for criticals so you could easily get over 500,000 in 4 hours. You can also run story missions while you wait if you want but you don't need to. Since you need 1.5 million total XP to get to Level 60, you would merely need to log in at the most 4 different times and run your 20 doff missions assuming that you can afford them and assuming that you never crit.

Like I said, it's easy.

Try that on the console. Just because it is easy on the PC doesn't mean it is also easy on the console. At least, console users don't have to try getting to level 50 in the early days of STO where you have to complete story missions, patrol missions, and exploration missions to get to the next level.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    starkaos wrote: »

Like I said, it's easy.

Try that on the console. Just because it is easy on the PC doesn't mean it is also easy on the console. At least, console users don't have to try getting to level 50 in the early days of STO where you have to complete story missions, patrol missions, and exploration missions to get to the next level.
    No worries. There's still KSF and SB24 spamming. I wonder if those are just as effective on console.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    liyamu86 wrote: »
    As the title states, I was excited to try STO on my ps4 and play my toons, linked my account and logged in and yep, no toons.

I can see this as a great way to invite a new player base to the game but what about the people who are currently playing and supporting the game and want a change of game play style/interface?

Does anyone know of an article or post where it is detailed why this was done? If we are sharing the same server then why the hell can we not use our bought and paid for toons?

Dunno about anyone else but this is a bit of a middle finger to us current players in saying "just start again and give us more money" its not really a supportive stance.

Can people please post their reasons for liking or disliking this decision? I surely cannot be the only one who thinks this is a bad outcome from a player base stand point... The game wouldn't be in the state its in or have gotten this far and to this point if it wasn't for us fans so why did we just get shafted?

I'm not really interested in my Character crossing over but the option to take some of my lifetime membership options and the ships I've already purchased otherwise why are we linking accounts again? What exactly is the purpose of that if only to get 2 promo items from the store for free. (excluding mind you all of the special items I've received over the years of gameplay from anniversaries, testing support before launching of major DLCs, Whole sets of ships I bought as a bundle because certain ones we were told weren't going to be in the store later ahem Dauntless!) you know that stuff it's really a greedy thing they are doing right now to us lifetimers.

You know those of us who helped get this game off the ground.
  • Options
    stumperudstumperud Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Being able to transfer one's characters from the PC to the Console doesn't affect anything. The character, it's inventory etc are simple text files that doesn't contain any codes related to either versions of the game itself.

What others are saying here about character transfers, though, is just ignorant BS.

The Elder Scrolls Online is the perfect example of how it's done properly and proof that it is possible.

I've linked my account and had my PC characters AND their INVENTORIES transferred to both my PS4 AND my Xbox One.

As for Cross-Play, that's a different thing entirely. THAT would require cooperation from both Sony as well as Microsoft.

Microsoft has been trying for many years to get Sony on board with console Cross-Play, but Sony has always been negative about the whole thing.

As for PC <> Xbox One, that'll most likely happen. It's just a matter of time. For now, it's impossible unless Microsoft changes the way their QA handles patches for the console.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Microsoft has QA? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kheelan#5651 kheelan Member Posts: 18 Arc User
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Microsoft has QA? :)

They call it that, but in reality, it's just a few hamsters, sitting on a chair with their thumbs up their bums, playing peggle.
  • Options
    how do I get the free items on xbox I just made an arc today but I been playing it on xbox for a few days please help asap
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    The PC, XBox and PS4 all run on different networks - there is no way to bring them together.
    Builds/Releases are different due to checks that Microsoft and Sony do before releases.

These are limits on the Sony and Microsoft gaming networks - it is NOT a money grab from CS/PWE.
  • Options
    jaturnley wrote: »

You realize that Cryptic is losing 30% to MS/Sony on every ship sold compared to the PC version, right? And if you brought $100 worth of stuff you bought on the PC over they would still want their 30% of it?

Ohhh, i would love to see a valid source for that information, buddy.

I've never even heard of MS charging 30% off of products in their store.

They get a certain percentage per sale, but not 30%. That would be too much.

As i have already stated, Elder Scrolls Online already started doing transfers from day one. They basically make a copy of your PC account and send it over. Whatever is on your account is transferred along with your characters. Mounts, Pets, etc.

Again, i'd like to see a valid source to your claim that MS is charging 30% from products in their store.
  • Options
    The PC, XBox and PS4 all run on different networks - there is no way to bring them together.
    Builds/Releases are different due to checks that Microsoft and Sony do before releases.

These are limits on the Sony and Microsoft gaming networks - it is NOT a money grab from CS/PWE.

You are -wrong-. :)

As i've said, two times already, The Elder Scrolls already started with account transfers from day 1..
  • Options
    stumperud wrote: »

As i've said, two times already, The Elder Scrolls already started with account transfers from day 1..
    And STO doesn't. And it will never start it from day one either.

Maybe, in a few years, they have resolved everything that could cause technical limitations, and all the business or game design reasons for keeping them seperate are gone, too. But for now. Nope.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

Maybe, in a few years, they have resolved everything that could cause technical limitations, and all the business or game design reasons for keeping them seperate are gone, too. But for now. Nope.

There are no technical limitations for transferring folders with text files in them lol

• Options
    flumfflumf Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    The Elder scrolls online account transfer from PC to console was a limited time offer only available to people who bought the pc version by somtime in 2014 due to the console version being delayed by over a year when it was supposed to have released at the same time as the pc version. The account transfer was basically an apology on zenimax/Bethesda's part for the delay and without that delay there would not have been any transfer available.

The console releases for ESO and STO are completely different situations and not really comparable. I'm gonna say this again, anyone who bought ESO on pc after I think it was sometime in mid 2014 cannot transfer their account to console.
  • Options
    flumf wrote: »
    The Elder scrolls online account transfer from PC to console was a limited time offer only available to people who bought the pc version by somtime in 2014 due to the console version being delayed by over a year when it was supposed to have released at the same time as the pc version. The account transfer was basically an apology on zenimax/Bethesda's part for the delay and without that delay there would not have been any transfer available.

The console releases for ESO and STO are completely different situations and not really comparable. I'm gonna say this again, anyone who bought ESO on pc after I think it was sometime in mid 2014 cannot transfer their account to console.

Wrong you are!

It WAS a time limited offer, but they changed that.

I recently did it when i bought Elder Scrolls Online for the Xbox One this summer.

Got all the stuff from my PC account transferred over. Even the stuff i got from buying the Collector's Edition (Physical copy) digital items.
  • Options
    flumfflumf Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    If you purchased and activated your PC account version by 6/30/2014 then you can still transfer your account to console, if you activated your pc account after 6/30/2014 then you cannot transfer your account to console.
  • Options
    flumf wrote: »
    If you purchased and activated your PC account version by 6/30/2014 then you can still transfer your account to console, if you activated your pc account after 6/30/2014 then you cannot transfer your account to console.

No, that was the case back when. They CHANGED IT.

A friend of mine got into ESO on the PC in 2015, but bought it on the Xbox One at the same time i did, this summer, and he was also able to transfer his account over.
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User

What the heck does that have to do with anything.... I as in a consumer of STO already paid for said product. So that has nothing at all to do with anything..

ESO allowed a limited time for loyal vet consumers to transfer their accounts.. We are talking full leveled characters,,,

Many here are asking just to be allowed accesses to already purchased items... Even if its a limited one time offer to transfer currant paid for items from their pc accounts...

Also Sony/Microsoft does not get 30% for digital purchase from a game... They make about 7 bucks off a 60 dollar game.. that's 11%.. not anywhere close to 30%... In fact both Sony and Xbox stopped charging for certification on patch's for games.. back in 2013 they used to charge about ten thousand per patch/dlc and they have since removed that fee...
  • Options

What the heck does that have to do with anything.... I as in a consumer of STO already paid for said product. So that has nothing at all to do with anything..

ESO allowed a limited time for loyal vet consumers to transfer their accounts.. We are talking full leveled characters,,,

Many here are asking just to be allowed accesses to already purchased items... Even if its a limited one time offer to transfer currant paid for items from their pc accounts...

Also Sony/Microsoft does not get 30% for digital purchase from a game... They make about 7 bucks off a 60 dollar game.. that's 11%.. not anywhere close to 30%... In fact both Sony and Xbox stopped charging for certification on patch's for games.. back in 2013 they used to charge about ten thousand per patch/dlc and they have since removed that fee...

Ah sadly i can't vote this comment up, otherwise i'd do that.

Oh and they changed the account link + transfer deal so that you can still do it, even if you bought the game after 2014.
  • Options
    To all of those that have stated that cross platform play is an impossible task due to Sony, you are all misinformed as War Thunder has been cross platform from the moment it was released on PS4. At the moment YES they are resistant to cross play between PS4 & Xbox One, but clearly not against crossing with PC. As for being able to transfer you items from PC to console I can see both sides of the argument, but clearly at this moment it isn't going to happen so honestly getting upset about it will not change things as the console launch was meant to bring a new group of players to the game and not to bring PC players to the console version. As stated before, the console audience is extremely larger than that of the PC and will the monetary gain from bringing STO to console greatly outweighs any losses suffered from not allowing PC players to port over their items/ships
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    Be thankful they're not making you pay a monthly "access fee" or even single purchase for playing the game.

PWE/C actually went out of their way to even bother coding the system for consoles to begin with, considering they're not charging for the game at all. That said, I have to laugh at those who are whining because they have to start fresh on a console instead of being able to just copy everything over and play exactly as they did on a PC.

I'm actually grateful they didn't make this for consoles first then port to PC, especially with all of the travesties released in the past that have been ported over, the controls being clunky as hell on a PC because it was coded for a limited control set, etc.

Amazed at all the discontent when PWE/C offers something completely free of charge. Don't like it? Code your own game then.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    Be thankful they're not making you pay a monthly "access fee" or even single purchase for playing the game.

PWE/C actually went out of their way to even bother coding the system for consoles to begin with, considering they're not charging for the game at all. That said, I have to laugh at those who are whining because they have to start fresh on a console instead of being able to just copy everything over and play exactly as they did on a PC.

I'm actually grateful they didn't make this for consoles first then port to PC, especially with all of the travesties released in the past that have been ported over, the controls being clunky as hell on a PC because it was coded for a limited control set, etc.

Amazed at all the discontent when PWE/C offers something completely free of charge. Don't like it? Code your own game then.

I'm not unhappy about it.

I would however, like for some people in this thread to enlighten themselves a bit better before making stuff up, such as the 30% charge from MS (!!) and other silly comments, where they try to make it sound like an account/character transfer is impossible, when it is very much possible.

It is PWE and Cryptic's game in the end, and they can do what they wish with it.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

Thankful for what...for PWE making more LOTs of money? they are NOT doing me any favors. The favor is to collect more money in their pockets and thats their motivation. Metrics rules and players drool. It's free but so is the PC platform so no favors to nobody there.

Not quite right. Mr EP mentioned that in the future the "Exchange" will be able to post sales/buy stuff across ALL platforms PC/Consoles. There is the coding right there to have the ability to open ships being sold in other platforms. The switch is off but others have proven there is capability to do this.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    I'm not too broken up that my characters cannot be shared across platforms, but I am disappointed that my account unlocks do not carry over. That's a lot of money's worth of items that I'm accustomed to having access to that I cannot use. However, this has made my Xbox One STO experience much more reminiscent of the STO launch all those years ago, which has been fun in its own way. At least I have 6 years of experience to draw on this time!
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • Options

There are no technical limitations for transferring folders with text files in them lol

No, that's easy. Making it still work when the thing that is reading them is not the same it was used for, then it's a technical issue.

Besides, of course, that it's not in a text file, but in a database on a database server that is configured to be accessible by certain servers, but not for other servers...
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    The character, it's inventory etc are simple text files that doesn't contain any codes related to either versions of the game itself.

Are they? (I don't know so I'm asking) How do you know that?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries