test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    except for johnathan archer and crew, who got a VERY clear look at a romulan​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    except for johnathan archer and crew, who got a VERY clear look at a romulan​​
    But did they know it was a Romulan? :p

More seriously, that could be a timeline divergence caused by the Temporal Cold War. It's very possible that one of several of the temporal fluctuations that occurred later changed it. I don't even know how many timelines are actually represented in Star Trek...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    except for johnathan archer and crew, who got a VERY clear look at a romulan

More seriously, that could be a timeline divergence caused by the Temporal Cold War. It's very possible that one of several of the temporal fluctuations that occurred later changed it. I don't even know how many timelines are actually represented in Star Trek...

yes, because t'pol told them it was​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Do they also account for the Bonaventure being the first ship with warp drive? The Romulans lacking warp, warp 14 (or the warp 100 or so that would be needed for ST:V)or The crew of the NX-01 suddenly shelving all their shiny spatial torpedoes and the nice new photon ones the Andorians gave them in favour of primitive nukes? Augments in the 90s?

It's TOS, just ignore all but the story itself and the character interactions within. It's clear that's what every other writer did.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Do they also account for the Bonaventure being the first ship with warp drive? The Romulans lacking warp, warp 14 (or the warp 100 or so that would be needed for ST:V)or The crew of the NX-01 suddenly shelving all their shiny spatial torpedoes and the nice new photon ones the Andorians gave them in favour of primitive nukes? Augments in the 90s?

It's TOS, just ignore all but the story itself and the character interactions within. It's clear that's what every other writer did.​​
    Exactly... They were totally making it up as they went episode-to-episode, so Anything TOS should only be considered 'fact' if later series references it in some way...
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    They've changed the launch date to May 2017... a FIVE Month Delay...

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-discovery-launch-date-may-2017

Huummmmnnn....

They must have big plans for the SP-Fx.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    We've waited this long. We can wait a little longer. Quality comes first. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    daveyny wrote: »

Huummmmnnn....

B)

No, I think it's just likely that Bryan Fuller is drunk on Star Trek hype and forgot to get a cast in between the Discovery launch trailer and vague news articles about diversity and nonspecific ideas about what he "wants" to do with the show. It reminded me a lot of Perpetual with STO. Lots of ideas and concepts, but nothing of substance.

I mean he went at long lengths talking about diversity for the new show, but pretty much admitted he hasn't cast anyone yet, which made his own sales pitch about diversity in Star Trek Discovery worthless. Pretty basic stuff one should have for a TV show that was supposed to be a few months out. I knew there was no way he could cast a show and start producing within such a short period of time.

This delay shouldn't have come as a surprise to anybody.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

Huummmmnnn....

B)

No, I think it's just likely that Bryan Fuller is drunk on Star Trek hype and forgot to get a cast in between the Discovery launch trailer and vague news articles about diversity and nonspecific ideas about what he "wants" to do with the show. It reminded me a lot of Perpetual with STO. Lots of ideas and concepts, but nothing of substance.

I mean he went at long lengths talking about diversity for the new show, but pretty much admitted he hasn't cast anyone yet, which made his own sales pitch about diversity in Star Trek Discovery worthless. Pretty basic stuff one should have for a TV show that was supposed to be a few months out. I knew there was no way he could cast a show and start producing within such a short period of time.

^^^This...
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    We've waited this long. We can wait a little longer. Quality comes first. :)

Since we know that there is a new Star Trek series starting, I do not mind waiting a few more months. I completely agree quality comes first. I prefer if they have the time to make it good they should use the time available. I also hope there may be another series that is transmitted along side Star Trek: Discovery or afterwards that is still set in the prime-universe and after Voyager/Nemesis. In between a year and 5 years.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1

Huummmmnnn....

B)

Indeed.

It does make me wonder, though, if they'll have all episodes filmed by launch. The old production schedule would have had filming continue on the final episodes of the season after the premiere to the viewing public. There are pros and cons either way, but filming everything beforehand preserves the creative team's vision, without "knee-jerk" reactions from the audience. The flip side is, of course, if there's something seriously wrong with the show, the writer's can't course-correct until season two.

Also can't help but wonder if Fuller was waiting for a specific someone, and the delay could open up an actor/actress that would have otherwise been unavailable.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    mhall85 wrote: »

Huummmmnnn....

B)

Indeed.

It does make me wonder, though, if they'll have all episodes filmed by launch. The old production schedule would have had filming continue on the final episodes of the season after the premiere to the viewing public. There are pros and cons either way, but filming everything beforehand preserves the creative team's vision, without "knee-jerk" reactions from the audience. The flip side is, of course, if there's something seriously wrong with the show, the writer's can't course-correct until season two.

Also can't help but wonder if Fuller was waiting for a specific someone, and the delay could open up an actor/actress that would have otherwise been unavailable.

I kinda wondered that also.

Seemed kinda silly to go on about how diverse the cast will be and then not have anything solid to back it up within a reasonable time period.

We might still get some major casting news out of the NYC Comic Con in a few weeks.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • suki36suki36 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I wonder if they will cast Rob Schneider as, a Warp Core
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    suki36 wrote: »

You'll never believe what zany hijinx Rob Schneider will be up to when he realizes that being a Warp Core is a lot harder than it seems!​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    I only want to know one thing: WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?! that ship is trash... even the original designer didn't settle for it when they did 'ST:The Movie'...

as said elsewhere. junk. assembled from trash. I was hoping for a SHIPS, not leftover parts. :'(
    another thread about this, before I found this one about the same thing. Has a couple of videos about the issue, we've all likely seen by now:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1222068/stdiscovery
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    I only want to know one thing: WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?! that ship is trash... even the original designer didn't settle for it when they did 'ST:The Movie'...

as said elsewhere. junk. assembled from trash. I was hoping for a SHIPS, not leftover parts. :'(

The ship design I don't think is final. I think it was chosen just to be a rough design so they had something to show for the trailer.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User

That clueless face he makes = Warp 3.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

Ah, this is what true terror feels like. :p

As to the delay - I'm not surprised, given the lack of casting acknowledgements, and only a teaser trailer without even some set concept photos, felt like preproduction was still really early.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I must have been picking up weird signals via my tinfoil hat, because somehow I always thought it was coming in May. I read "pushed back 5 months to May" and went 'huh?' :)

We'll see what comes of it.
    edited September 2016
    Interesting speculation in this FORBES article...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2016/09/15/star-trek-discovery-may-cbs-all-access/#7fd9322e36d5

If I were ever to decide to subscribe, I'd most likely wait till all 13 episodes were on the service and then just pay either the $6 or $10 and binge watch it over a couple of days anyway.

I'm curious to see if Netflix will add each episode as they premier, or wait and add the whole series to their sites overseas after it finishes it's run.
    If they add them one-by-one, it'll be a first for them.

I'm also wondering if the five month delay is so that all the episodes can be finished and then given to Netflix as a complete package for their overseas services to broadcast.

Wouldn't that be a real kick in the nads if North American viewers have to wait for it weekly, while other markets get it complete all at once.
    B)
    Ah, didn't know that.
    Never watched that show.
    huh.
    B)
    edited September 2016
    Les Moonface gives us his version as to why the delay for Star Trek: Discovery...

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/star-trek-discovery-les-moonves-addresses-series-delay/

This from the guy who let ENTERPRISE get cancelled, and at the time said Trek was dragging his company down.

Now all of a sudden, TREK is "The Family Jewels"...

What a ma-roooon.
    smh
    Do you get the feeling that the STDiscovery trailer was made to poll for Fan reactions so that they could decide whether or not to toss the whole project out before they even make the first film? And that they made the ship so ugly to deliberately tilt that poll into the negative so that they could refuse to finish the project?

If so, they succeeded.
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    A lot of how they are handling Discovery feels like they have their finger in the wind trying to gauge what the audience wants before committing to anything.

As for the networks sudden renewed interest in the franchise... they have always had a love/hate relationship with Star Trek. For some reason the whole idea of "science fiction" seems to be viewed as a dirty low brow form of entertainment to most TV/Film big shots. It is generally expensive to make and its concepts tend to fly right over the heads of network executives who tend to rely on short elevator pitches for their decision making. Despite all this Star Trek has generally been a reliable cash cow for them in the past, even if they look down on the franchise themselves.

I'm honestly more worried that when the whole subscription thing inevitably undermines the viewership numbers they will blame the audience rather than themselves.
    edited September 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Just upgraded my All Access subscription to commercial free. Looking forward to the show, though saddened about the delay. As for wendy's speculation that they would toss the project. Do you really think they are going to default on the MASSIVE contract with Netflix & shell out penalties on that plus deal with the huge backlash from their stockholders & the resulting free- fall in their stock value? That would the corporate equivalent of a man saying "after I chop off my testicles I'm going to shove this hot poker in my ****" its not gonna happen.

Do I think that? yes, actually, I do believe they not only could but would. they've done it before with other contracts of similar type, and if they don't particularly like the show they'll intentionally TRIBBLE it up. Two examples with probably other stations: Firefly and Invasion. There are more, but those two are standing out in my head. THey had huge fan bases before they were even made, but then the stations killed them when they aired. Had to do with the 'frowned upon' attitude of the higherups in the station.
    THere's also the Star Trek named shows that several stations tried to kill off, not just the Classic one. DS9 for example was nearly tossed halfway through its first season. That's just one example. There are probably others. They don't like scifi, even if their watchers do. I'm not sure, but didn't a similar thing nearly happen to X-Files at one point? :/
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Do you get the feeling that the STDiscovery trailer was made to poll for Fan reactions so that they could decide whether or not to toss the whole project out before they even make the first film? And that they made the ship so ugly to deliberately tilt that poll into the negative so that they could refuse to finish the project?

If so, they succeeded.

Not they didn't. They made a ship far more appealing than the Excelsior or the Galaxy.

I don't think you understand how aesthetics work. They're subjective not objective.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.