test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    First Lieutenant was a position held by the most senior lieutenant on a ship (with no commander present anyway) it's not a rank per se.​​

The US Air Force would disagree with you :).

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    nikeix wrote: »
    First Lieutenant was a position held by the most senior lieutenant on a ship (with no commander present anyway) it's not a rank per se.​​

The US Air Force would disagree with you :).

The person I was replying to was talking about the Royal Navy.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    I LOVE the speculation. I especially love the line "we don't know near enought details to say it'll rock or suck." Back when people read, that was called judging a book by its cover.

ha! On the surface, Breaking bad sounds stupid. watch it, and it rocks! It bugs me when people toss out judgement without ever seeing the thing. Who can forget the furious Heath Ledger Joker haters. The JJ haters (which be honest, Kevliin Timeline grows on you and Beyond just kicked some serious tail). Give it a chance man. I simply fail to see the logic in killing it before it even arrives.

Also, it seems to me that more and more 13 episodes is considered a full season for cable and streaming shows (of which TRIBBLE is the later). Always leave them wanting more.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    ...how about we keep the conversation together and ongoing right here...

OR Not.

Why sift through a morass of flotsam and jetsam when I can go to sites like http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/star-trek-everything-we-know-about-the-new-tv-series.html/?a=viewall ??​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    All the Roddenberry flaming aside (people in a Star Trek Forum sure love dissing Gene for some weird reason pig-3.gif ) @artan42 is right. Gene Roddenberry lost creative control over Star Trek in TNG's third season. Everything that came after wasn't "Gene Trek" - it's curious to read a sentence similiar to "I have a feeling the new show won't be Gene Trek" in 2016.​​
    And by "lost creative control" you really mean "suffered a debilitating stroke". But more so because it his later years he became increasingly hostile to those who actually made Star Trek something beyond an idea. He kept doing it until he died....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    A teeny-weeny bit of more 'Stuff' from the horses mouth...
    (and a fuller description of what he said the other day)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/76084

More complete list of the writers and producers on the show.

No Theme Song... yet.

Casting news likely to be announced in October at NY Comic Con.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    CBS has officially announced an ad-free tier for All Access, priced at $9.99.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    From a report on the Mission New York convention.

The most-anticipated panel of the convention was on Star Trek: Discovery with series consulting producer and writer Nicholas Meyer along with writer Kirsten Beyer. Beyer revealed that DSC would be a cross-media production involving television, novels, and comics.
    As in there will also be novels etc available ala TNG, or that one needs the TV episodes, comics and novels to get the complete story? I have a sinking feeling it's going to be the latter option, and if so, that's well and truly killed any interest I had in the show... I enjoyed the TNG novels, but I resent the idea of having to buy supplemental media just to understand a television program... :unamused::unamused:

Cross media doesn't necessarily imply canon. 09 had its comic and game tie in that weren't canon. Though arguably a bad example as 'Nero' improved the film by filling in a chunk of the bad guys backstory.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Cross media doesn't necessarily imply canon. 09 had its comic and game tie in that weren't canon. Though arguably a bad example as 'Nero' improved the film by filling in a chunk of the bad guys backstory.
    Well, this is the thing... As you say, it doesn't necessarily imply canon (none of the previous novels have been) but the Nero situation is a perfect example. As you say, those off-scene details about Nero definitely made things make sense, the problem (as with the Khan Awakening prior to Into Darkness) without those comics, the films themselves actually seemed to have plot holes which didn't make sense... I guess all I'm saying is that the movies needed the comics to fully make sense. A film (or TV show) should be able to stand on its own for audience comprehension. It shouldn't need additional material to be understandable... Hence my concern of if TRIBBLE is going down the 'JJRoute' of supplemental material, rather than TNG's... B) They're already making people pay to watch the series, making them then pay for additional material to fully appreciate a story, IMHO is a step too far... From a marketing perspective, yeah, great way to bring in more money. Not so nice to be on the receiving end of it though... ;)
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that if the books are being written by the same people who write the episodes that it WILL end up being canon. :p

honestly it doesn't sound bad. there's only so much you can put on TV.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Reminds me of part of the gimmick in a TV show that lasted a couple years on SyFy - can't recall the title for the life of me, but it took place in what was left of St. Louis, MO, after aliens (and some sort of apocalypse) came to Earth. There was a tie-in MMO, set in San Francisco, and the events of one would affect the course of the other. Not sure how much of a "success" all that was, because I found most of the characters frankly boring and tuned out after three or four episodes, but there it is.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that if the books are being written by the same people who write the episodes that it WILL end up being canon. :p

I don't have beef with the books being canon, especially if they're being written by the episode writers. Infact, that would be pretty cool. But. I do have beef with the idea that someone has to read additional material to get the full story and to actually make the episode/movie make sense... ;)
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Reminds me of part of the gimmick in a TV show that lasted a couple years on SyFy - can't recall the title for the life of me, but it took place in what was left of St. Louis, MO, after aliens (and some sort of apocalypse) came to Earth. There was a tie-in MMO, set in San Francisco, and the events of one would affect the course of the other. Not sure how much of a "success" all that was, because I found most of the characters frankly boring and tuned out after three or four episodes, but there it is.​​

I believe the show was called Defiance. The show was cancelled, but I think the game is still around.
    Defiance.

I thought it was a fantastic series, and IMHO dealt with issues Trek would never have dared tackle, let alone show. That said, we have pretty much contrasting views on most things, so I'm not surprized you didn't like it... It ran to three seasons, but I'm not sure if it was intentionally cancelled, or if the producers decided to go out strong (and IMHO it was strong)

I don't have beef with the books being canon, especially if they're being written by the episode writers. Infact, that would be pretty cool. But. I do have beef with the idea that someone has to read additional material to get the full story and to actually make the episode/movie make sense... ;)
    Sop you think that what is on TV is only going to be pieces of episodes? why? There is no evidence of that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2016

Sop you think that what is on TV is only going to be pieces of episodes? why? There is no evidence of that.
    No, I'm concerned that it may be an 09/Into Darkness scenario where additional material was actually needed to explain plot points... I'm concerned, because the Powers That Be may well think 'well it worked for those films, it can work for us to bring in more $$s...' and if that turned out to be the case, it would show that TPTB care more about the $$s, than in putting out a quality series worthy of the franchise name...

No, I'm concerned that it may be an 09/Into Darkness scenario where additional material was actually needed to explain plot points... I'm concerned, because the Powers That Be may well think 'well it worked for those films, it can work for us to bring in more $$s...' and if that turned out to be the case, it would show that TPTB care more about the $$s, than in putting out a quality series worthy of the franchise name...

THAT Boat, sailed for the last time when They cancelled ENTERPRISE.

It was pretty obvious from that point on that any new Trek was going to have to be a lot more profitable for CBS/Paramount to even consider making any more.

I'm very curious to see just how the next movie develops, since "Beyond" doesn't seem to have been the blockbuster Paramount was hoping for.
    <shrug>
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    daveyny wrote: »

THAT Boat, sailed for the last time when They cancelled ENTERPRISE.

It was pretty obvious from that point on that any new Trek was going to have to be a lot more profitable for CBS/Paramount to even consider making any more.

I'm very curious to see just how the next movie develops, since "Beyond" doesn't seem to have been the blockbuster Paramount was hoping for.
    <shrug>
    Well, this is the thing, and it keeps bringing me back to my oft-thought 'Why do we need more Trek?' IMHO, we don't. There're five series and thirteen movies to enjoy(or not) Plenty of books to read, and an MMO allowing everyone a chance to, to paraphrase Jango Fett, 'make their way in the universe'. I honestly don't believe that the franchise needs more. What there already is, is enough for people to enjoy, and on that alone, I doubt the franchise will ever die, in terms of having appreciators. If the franchise goes inactive, as Ned Kelly said, 'such is life...' B)

edited September 2016
    What NEW things, we learned from the NY Con this past weekend...

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/10-new-star-trek-discovery-revelations/

The ships name is a homage to the one in Kubrick's "2001" movie.

There will be new Aliens and Races, Planets & Ships introduced.

Another Director was named, Vincenzo Natali.

Nick Meyer said (paraphrasing) the show is not going to be perfect, but if one doesn't go in with outlandish expectations, it should be enjoyable.

He also said (again paraphrasing) that the look of the show will not be exactly like The Original Series (1960's look), but they will update it to 2016 esthetics and they will do "the best they can" to emulate what came before.

Again according to Meyer, Star Trek VI: the Undiscovered Country will have a BIG Influence conceptually on the show, because Bryan Fuller feels it is one of the best examples of Trek.

B)

Addendum:

Majel Barrett/Roddenberry might just end up being the computer's voice for the show...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-voice-of-star-treks-computers-could-be-coming-to-bo-1786251988

More explanation about the reasons behind the shows name...

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/star-trek/37600/star-trek-discovery-bryan-fuller-explains-show-title
    edited September 2016

They said that about Taylor's VOY novels and the various KT tie-inns (like the game), they still aren't canon.

Maybe DSC will come about as CBS change their canon policy, but they haven't yet.
    Nick Meyer said (paraphrasing) the show is not going to be perfect, but if one doesn't go in with outlandish expectations, it should be enjoyable.

Sounds like a reasonable mindset to have prior to any media.
    He also said (again paraphrasing) that the look of the show will not be exactly like The Original Series (1960's look), but they will update it to 2016 esthetics and they will do "the best they can" to emulate what came before.

Oh noes! Muh cardboard!
    Again according to Meyer, Star Trek VI: the Undiscovered Country will have a BIG Influence conceptually on the show, because Bryan Fuller feels it is one of the best examples of Trek.

YES! TUC is probably my favourite film (damn you BEY) and it really is like a little bit of DS9 in TOS.
    Majel Barrett/Roddenberry might just end up being the computer's voice for the show...

I don't see why she wouldn't be. We have 50 years of her voice saying almost anything necessary to feel fully part of the show.​​

#TASforSTO

They said that about Taylor's VOY novels and the various KT tie-inns (like the game), they still aren't canon.

Maybe DSC will come about as CBS change their canon policy, but they haven't yet.
    If they were to update it how would you know? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Jeri Taylor had been told that anything she wrote about Mad Kathy's youth would be considered as official source material (aka Mad Kathy Writer's Guide) which episodes would have to conform to. Someone changed their mind, gave Ms Taylor the finger, and did their own thing, regardless of if it tallied with her novel or not, and IMHO was a very TRIBBLE way of treating someone who puts in the work in good faith...

The KT tie-ins: I'm not going to get into an argument over 'non-canon', because yes, the only thing which is really canon, is the released film/episode.

But. The JJ films do have plot-holes which the tie-in comics not only fill, but were intended to fill all along. They might not be 'canon', but they Are Licenced, so considered as 'accurate until contradicted by a canon source'. The difference between the KT comics and Jeri Taylor's novels, is that the Powers That Be (Berman and Braga?) decided to deliberately ignore Jeri Taylor's writing (for whatever reasons they had for their beef with her) and deliberately film episodic material which contradicted the novels as a way of giving the finger to her work, and deliberately making it inaccurate, rather than having the professional courtessy to use it as the Writer's Guide it was intended to be ;)
    edited September 2016
    Another Bryan Fuller tidbit...

http://www.treknews.net/2016/09/08/bryan-fuller-balance-of-terror-is-a-touchstone-for-the-star-trek-discovery-story-arc/

Seems the Romulans may be a major part of this new series.

B)

http://www.treknews.net/2016/09/08/bryan-fuller-balance-of-terror-is-a-touchstone-for-the-star-trek-discovery-story-arc/

B)
    Or they discover that the Romulans have found a way to hear sounds in space, so they have to be really quiet (one of the things that bugged me about "Balance of Terror" - ooh, we can't make noise or they'll hear us! Come on, guys, your ship is in vacuum - you could hold a dance party on the bridge and the Roms wouldn't know!).​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png

B)
    Or they discover that the Romulans have found a way to hear sounds in space, so they have to be really quiet (one of the things that bugged me about "Balance of Terror" - ooh, we can't make noise or they'll hear us! Come on, guys, your ship is in vacuum - you could hold a dance party on the bridge and the Roms wouldn't know!).​​

Perhaps the writer was thinking submarines when he wrote... ;)
    edited September 2016

B)

Perhaps, just maybe, it was more in the line of being extra careful not to touch anything that might send out a perceivable signal...
    (like Spock ended up doing)

Most folks when being cautious, do tend to tone down their voice and act a bit subdued.

The episode just over emphasized that (like most shows do) to get the point across to the audience.

And it was written to emulate the idea of submarine warfare from WW II.

Also, I really can't see the appeal in ripping apart a TV episode written 50 years ago, just to make a inconsequential point.
    B)
    Also, I really can't see the appeal in ripping apart a TV episode written 50 years ago, just to make a inconsequential point.
    B)
    And you call yourself a Trekkie...

:lol:​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    More seriously, though, I think he might be talking more about the feel of that episode - that there are things out there that are completely mysterious, and that we can't beat just by technobabbling the main framistat relay through the deflector dish.

It's the cat-and-mouse that a lot of people remember, but there was also the new Romulan superweapon, that propagated so fast they had to back away at warp speed to avoid it. And the truly faceless enemy, because no one from Earth or any of her allies in that war had ever seen a Romulan and lived long enough to tell about it.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.