test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek in 4K?

Hello everyone! I've got a question regarding playing Star Trek Online in 4K... and about 4K in general for those who have been brave enough to venture into that realm.

I know that the graphics engine in Star Trek Online is a bit tricky as in you can get low frame rates regardless of your hardware specifications. Aside from this, how does Star Trek Online look and behave in 4K? Does the current HUD in terms of size work well in 4K? Let's say the scaling is for a larger 3440 x 1440 / 3840 x 2160 monitor in the range of 32++ inches. I am currently playing at 1080p but I sometimes find this resolution too small for all the things going on the HUD. I find it quite cluttered to be honest. I wonder if 4K is well suited for MMO games with all the HUDs and boxes.

And here is an unrelated STO question, though still 4K related. For those of you who play 4K in other perhaps more demanding games, is 8 GB of video memory enough to sustain 4K? Do you have a general inclination to offer as in how much of a memory usage increase there is jumping from 1080p to 1440p/2160p in the same game with identical or similar settings? Some games use 4-6 GB of memory with the highest texture resolution at 1080p. What would this do for 4K?

I know that 4K is a relatively uncharted territory among many players but hopefully someone will be able to offer their insight. Even if you do not have 4K you may still offer your insight. Some of you may have done a lot of research into this area.

For those of you who may wonder what graphics card I have you will find a GTX 1070 at the heart of my computer. I am aware that one single GTX 1070 may not be sufficient for sustainable 4K but I am open to the idea of more powerful solutions.

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Don't know anything about running it in 4k, but the HUD is resizeable. Look for "interface scale" on the first tab in options.
  • crazyfrog1907crazyfrog1907 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'm playing STO in 4k with the 1070, it works perfectly fine, memory usage is between 40-50%
  • sslorrsslorr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Only problem i have is that the label text is very tiny and you can't adjust the size. And the UI size adjust doesn't change it. It looks is a fix font size.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    sslorr wrote: »
    Only problem i have is that the label text is very tiny and you can't adjust the size. And the UI size adjust doesn't change it. It looks is a fix font size.

What "label text?" As far as I can tell all text is rescaled with the interface scale on my computer.
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I'm playing STO in 4k with the 1070, it works perfectly fine, memory usage is between 40-50%

Does STO use 40-50% video memory at 4K? What about more memory intensive games? Do you consider 8 GB a bottleneck for 4K? I've been wondering how the memory usage scale from 1080p to 4K resolutions.

• jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    nephitis wrote: »

Does STO use 40-50% video memory at 4K? What about more memory intensive games? Do you consider 8 GB a bottleneck for 4K? I've been wondering how the memory usage scale from 1080p to 4K resolutions.

Not quite 4k; but I run at 3/4 of 4k by pixels (5760x1080), and I can renderscale2 that on my 3.5g of VRAM (GTX 970), so I can't imagine 8g of vram being an issue at 4k.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • andym5andym5 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Some screenshots here you can check out:
    z13.invisionfree.com/Circle_of_Light/index.php?showtopic=24&st=0

I take some of them with renderscale set to 2 for better edge smoothing.
  • crazyfrog1907crazyfrog1907 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    8gb Vram is enough for 4k, GTA 5 uses 7gb with max settings, when you turn off Antialasing it uses around 4gb.
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    8gb Vram is enough for 4k, GTA 5 uses 7gb with max settings, when you turn off Antialasing it uses around 4gb.

So I take it that antialiasing uses a lot of video memory when applied? That means I might be in a good position then because I rarely use antialiasing. While it does remove the jagged edges I personally also think it makes the image somewhat blurry.