test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

Comments

• jstryverjstryver Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I just watched a video with a reviewer that has early access for this weekend. He stated a few times that the information he was given from Cryptic was that the release was on the 6th in the US and the 7th in Europe.
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Can you link the video please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9hllvuW7-k

Thanks.
  • dwapookdwapook Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    dwapook wrote: »
    I don't need a dose of reality, I'm aware of all that.. It just gets annoying to see people repeatedly called selfish for wanting something that would actually give me a reason to go off and buy overly expensive packs..(Which I still probably wouldn't get much actual use out of btw).. o.o; I think after you play the game you wont find it so "daft" anymore..
    Don't assume I don't get it, because I do. I've looked at all the pricing for the content, and there was an initial sticker-shock. It's an expensive game if you're looking for the "best" gear to min/max with. And I don't agree that it's "selfish" for people to want to carry their purchases between systems--one of the biggest things I like about Dynasty Warriors 8 is that I can switch between my PS4 and PS3 when I want to and the DLC is already purchased for both, but even then, I still had to buy the base-games for each system (not to mention that they're both within the Playstation system-family).

Having said that, though, I still think it's silly to call a developer "bad" or "greedy" (as some in this thread have) for not porting DLC between systems on a free-to-play game, especially when the game in question runs exclusively through online servers. If the income to run the game isn't coming from the game, itself (especially if players are holding to the F2P variant), where are the funds going to come from to maintain said-servers? I'm aware that they've had occasional difficulties in that area, but so have servers for games such as Smite, ESO, and various other online-only games. Would you prefer the game pauses every ten minutes to give you an un-skippable ad or two? It'd be entirely different if they didn't routinely, over the last six years, release free and expansive content and simply left the game as it was while raking it in for all of the paid-DLC/packs.

tl;dr
    Do I think the pricing is a bit ridiculous? Absolutely, but that's a completely separate argument. My point is that you're paying, one way or another, for the upkeep of a six-year-old game running exclusively online, and rewarding and funding them for building it for the consoles if/when you buy any content for those versions.

It's not a separate argument.. I don't even think it's about min/maxing.. I think it's a system that preys on obsessive Star Trek fans with tons of disposable income to spend on glorified fluff.. I'm outside that demographic.. I need more reasons to find the content worth purchasing and I've just been given less..

This isn't the type of game I play consistently.. I'm sure sometimes I'll come back and play on console.. sometimes PC... and probably continue to not spend money on anything.. Unless I get rich or something!

I'm not one of the people who called them greedy.. Though I do find lockboxes ethically questionable.. I did originally buy this as a base game with a lifetime subscription.. 'Cause these were actually substantial.. o.o; Everything else are things, I may or may not, sometimes use.. Then cut in half or thirds by the platform divergence..
    Post edited by dwapook on
  • orthodoxaorthodoxa Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    jstryver wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9hllvuW7-k

Thanks for posting the video link, but OMG that was such a painful video to watch. The guy was so busy chatting about other games and movies that for most of the video he was completely oblivious to what was actually happening on the screen. I think that it took him a full half hour or so flying in random directions before he ever tried to figure out where to go. /facepalm

34ru9dw.jpg
  • wag61283wag61283 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Yes very painful to watch
  • intrepid31intrepid31 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    I"m sure this has been answered and i just can't find it.
    Can anyone tell me if we still get all the perks of lifetime memberships on the console?
    They said nothing transfers over but nothing about membership but if it's like neverwinter I doubt it. It will be more likely to be like eso or dc universe for monthly membership with some perks
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    It best be F2P, I ain't paying for (a second) LTS.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Question: Is the console game on a separate shard than the PC MMO we currently have?

Because, I don't think I can tolerate the twelve year old (mentally and biological age) "dude-bro" crowd at my age. ;)
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Question: Is the console game on a separate shard than the PC MMO we currently have?

Because, I don't think I can tolerate the twelve year old (mentally and biological age) "dude-bro" crowd at my age. ;)

Completely seperate, and nothing carries over between servers, it's a clean slate. No guarantee's on the "dude-bro crowd" though
    And the insults begin..

I'm 51 and play on console, demographically the majority of console players are adults.

34ru9dw.jpg
    I'm 47 and play on console. Have friends in their 30s and 40s who prefer console..
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Being hit with a couple of Klingon Pain sticks would have been the lesser evil than watching that Video.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    Being hit with a couple of Klingon Pain sticks would have been the lesser evil than watching that Video.

4 seconds, that's how long I lasted. 3 seconds too long, in hindsight
  • cronoprimecronoprime Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    orthodoxa wrote: »

Thanks for posting the video link, but OMG that was such a painful video to watch. The guy was so busy chatting about other games and movies that for most of the video he was completely oblivious to what was actually happening on the screen. I think that it took him a full half hour or so flying in random directions before he ever tried to figure out where to go. /facepalm

I KNOW! I found the archive of it last night. I found myself yelling at the video, even though it wouldn't do any good. I kept saying things like "Shut up about the shooters/Suicide Squad/whatever and focus on the GAME!" "You just picked up ship equipment, equip it!" "Learn to use your camera!" I just wanted to take the controller away from him. <edit> Forgot to mention that he claims to be a Star Trek fan but mispronounced "Khitomer" and "Renown"

I was quicker at figuring out STO when I started playing than him, though admittedly I had MMO experience before I ever played STO. EQOA and FFXI on the PS2, FreeRealms and DCUO on the PS3. LOTRO via WINE on the PC. So I had familiarity with the basics of questing and equipping and whatnot. I don't know HOW some shooter-dudebro like him got early access...I haven't seen any other videos from PS4 people with early access. You'd think they'd have handed a code to some PS4 owner who was already familiar with MMO's...and perhaps had played STO on the PC.

[

Completely seperate, and nothing carries over between servers, it's a clean slate. No guarantee's on the "dude-bro crowd" though

I'm 49. From what I've seen from playing MMO's on Console AND PC, Console MMO players aren't any different from PC MMO players, they're much more similar than different. Same general player archetypes. You have helpful people, casuals, stay-at-home-moms, hardcore guildies, etc,....and few jerks.

4 seconds, that's how long I lasted. 3 seconds too long, in hindsight

I watched the whole thing, it was like being in a....Mirror Universe Agony Booth!

Post edited by cronoprime on
  • atseearratseearr Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    More gameplay footage here. This one's on Xbox One:
    https://youtu.be/5I1WhQ_NMzg
  • Has it definately been confirmed for tomorrow and does that include the uk aswell?
    Has it definately been confirmed for tomorrow and does that include the uk aswell?
    Confirmed - No. UK has been reported as the 7th while the US is the 6th. No sure what is up with all the non responses to requests about if its true or not. Best answer I have seen is a soft launch to make sure servers come up properly then start pushing it on Thursday on the actual 50th anniversary of Star Trek.
  • davewindsoruk#3009 davewindsoruk Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Damn it ok I will just have to wait another day god it's going to kill me waiting!!!!
    atseearr wrote: »
    More gameplay footage here. This one's on Xbox One:
    https://youtu.be/5I1WhQ_NMzg

Thanks for posting this. This was MUCH better than that painful "CoinOp" Yo-waddup bro-dude who flies to the edge of the map while busy talking about other games and the movies he wants to see.

This guy actually demonstrated the new UI set-up and showed setting different things to go off under certain conditions, etc.

34ru9dw.jpg
  • stuntmammike#6896 stuntmammike Member Posts: 3 New User
    Do we know if Agents of Yesterday will be available on ps4 at release?

Hoping the 7th is correct for the UK, excited to play this.
    Do we know if Agents of Yesterday will be available on ps4 at release?

Don't think so, but it will be a future release
    No agents of yesterday at launch
  • stuntmammike#6896 stuntmammike Member Posts: 3 New User
    Isn't AoY an expansion at the start of the game? Seems a bit silly not putting it in at launch, especially as it's the 50th anniversary.
    Isn't AoY an expansion at the start of the game? Seems a bit silly not putting it in at launch, especially as it's the 50th anniversary.

There's a gap of about a month or so between PC and console expansions on Neverwinter, looks like the same will be true of STO
  • alhanaescheralhanaescher Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Damn it ok I will just have to wait another day god it's going to kill me waiting!!!!

I know how you feel. Used to play back in beta and just after launch, but lost interest after hitting max level at the time and having little to do. Tried again about a year ago on ly old laptop was amazed by how much had changed and had fun, but my laptop at the time was flaky and the game would occasionally have issues. Am looking forward to the console release as it'll probably play the game much better than my current laptop will. but not knowing when after finding out it's comming is killing me, especially with the whole maybe tuesday, maybe wednesday thing now! Gah!!
  • direwolf016#2451 direwolf016 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Waiting sucks... I gotta go to work for 9hrs tomorrow, just so I can pay something called a "mortgage" and buy something called "food"...ugh...

Oh well, at least I'll have a few extra hours to decide in what order of factions I want to play the game. I really want to play as Romulan, but I feel like playing through the Feds and Klingons, first, will give me time to figure-out the mechanics and the storylines for both to determine whom to side with as a Romulan.

It looks like maneuvering is pretty responsive for the consoles, based on both videos. I didn't really watch the whole thing of either one--did it look like the auto-activation of powers is working seamlessly, or did they even demonstrate it?