test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Obisek, your Plasma Lance is shooting Blanks Bruh!

What is the point of that thing? Its not closing even ONE Rift. Just shooting blanks left and right. I suspected as much days ago, but had it confirmed last night. We all thought we were done and waiting out the timer, then all of a sudden one rift opens, I speed toward it and start closing, lance goes off, I see the beam aim RIGHT at it, and NOTHING. I still had to continue closing it myself. WTF Obi, you need to see a Fabrication Engineer bruh because someone sold you a lemon. So many rifts to close, and once we help him get his gun off, its totally useless. Whats the point of that? All that work getting the station charged, fighting off enemies always on your nuts, and we cant even get help closing remaining rifts?

Also, people need to be more concerned closing rifts and powering up the station, rather than try to defend the station. On Normal the station is just fine. On Advanced usually the Pubs Im in we lose the mark bonus for letting it fall, but I believe its because everyone ignores the rifts that just keep pumping in more ships. My Vesta class ships have been beasts in this mission. I use the hardened shield to close at least one rift early. That helps a lot keeping the ship inflow down. I then get to a second one fast and get right on the rift, and if all the ships are coming out are within 5km, I pop anti matter spread (That I keep on all my ships) and confuse them long enough to close that rift. To me its more important to just get the mission DONE, and if we lose the starbase health bonus, oh well. This is the first time Ive tried grinding the same event on multiple toons, Im grinding with 5 now on normal, and I dont want to make the mission last longer by keeping the enemy inflow on too long.

See you out there
Capt Will Conquest USS Zorro
Capt Sean Connery USS Royal Sovereign
Dr William Boldman USS Picardo
Capt Elena Martinez USS Veracruz
Capt Francesca Rider USS Laurel Clark

We're all workin Hard for the Money, so hard for the money...
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Lol, you can't close rifts by shooting them.

And no, there is no point in powering up the station. No point in closing the rifts either. Just wait out the timer and kill the dreadnought everything else is meaningless.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

And no, there is no point in powering up the station. No point in closing the rifts either. Just wait out the timer and kill the dreadnought everything else is meaningless.
    I wasnt shooting them, but Obi made us believe he could close them by shooting them.

And sadly youre right, makes me less angry at the occasional AFKer because we get to the dreadnought at the end of the timer regardless. But its a matter of pride. Im not going to let my Captains and ship names be seen AFKing like a lazy a$$. Theres no honor in that. It seems closing rifts in the dreadnought round helps kill him faster, so he cant cowardly duck into rifts still open and prolong the fight if no one on the team has devastating firepower.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It seems closing rifts in the dreadnought round helps kill him faster, so he cant cowardly duck into rifts still open and prolong the fight if no one on the team has devastating firepower.

No. Simply chasing it down is always faster than going around the map closing all the rifts. It can only jump twice.
  • beldair#6049 beldair Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I always seem to die at least once in that pve..

On my Flambard, I die around 3-5 times.

On Nihyn Destroyer, maybe once or twice.

On Dyson, like 6 times.

Idk if it is how I move in the battle or what but I always seem to lose my shields faster than a lot of the Feds and Klingons even though all my skills are stacked on improving my shields, hull, and DMG resistance.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I wasnt shooting them, but Obi made us believe he could close them by shooting them.

Actually... the lance isn't meant to close rifts. The lance is attacking incoming ships. It can easily one shot frigates. Not sure how powerful it is against larger ships like a Galaxy or Command Cruiser.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    It seems closing rifts in the dreadnought round helps kill him faster, so he cant cowardly duck into rifts still open and prolong the fight if no one on the team has devastating firepower.

No. Simply chasing it down is always faster than going around the map closing all the rifts. It can only jump twice.
    Oh really. Hadnt noticed that. Thanks, I'll just chase it down then instead of trying to close rifts that round. And now instead of flying all over the map I'll just pick a corner, and shut those rifts down and wait the timer out.

I always seem to die at least once in that pve..

On my Flambard, I die around 3-5 times.

On Nihyn Destroyer, maybe once or twice.

On Dyson, like 6 times.

Idk if it is how I move in the battle or what but I always seem to lose my shields faster than a lot of the Feds and Klingons even though all my skills are stacked on improving my shields, hull, and DMG resistance.

If you're going to fight the whole time to earn XP, dont fly into the big swarms. Pick off ships on the outer edges and only take on 2-3 ships at once.
    The only time I would consider going into a swarm would be if you're confident in your tanking ability. Preferably in a Cruiser. Also... if you've got some support against that particular swarm, combo AP Beta and Beam: Fire at Will if you're running beams to smack the terran ships around a bit.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Actually... the lance isn't meant to close rifts. The lance is attacking incoming ships. It can easily one shot frigates. Not sure how powerful it is against larger ships like a Galaxy or Command Cruiser.

The lance will if lucky actually cut through more than one ship. I've seen it kill 3 at one time once before as they were nicely lined up for it.
    Not sure how effective it is on the big ships but it'll easily one-shot a frigate.
    SulMatuul.png
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "Lol, you can't close rifts by shooting them.

And no, there is no point in powering up the station. No point in closing the rifts either. Just wait out the timer and kill the dreadnought everything else is meaningless."

You do realize you get bonus marks for closing rifts and powering up the station, as well as keeping the station in good health?
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Last weekend I played MIE with a PUG who got it. We closed the rifts first and then had enough time left over to power up the station. The station plasma lance, of which obisek seems so very proud of, can one shot a frigate but against everything else it seems to miss more than it hits. Even when I GW a ship and then drain the shields, it seems the station plasma lance can do little more than scratch the paint on the Terrans. "Firing station plasma lance in 3,2,1!" has become as annoying as "Kurland here".

This weekend, I have played with PUGs who try to do both at the same time. So far we've lost the bonus for the station damage and had rage quitters every time because of this.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    "Lol, you can't close rifts by shooting them.

And no, there is no point in powering up the station. No point in closing the rifts either. Just wait out the timer and kill the dreadnought everything else is meaningless."

You do realize you get bonus marks for closing rifts and powering up the station, as well as keeping the station in good health?

Methinks that advice is geared more towards AFKing the queue. Why bother doing anything when you can let others do it and still get the reward?

Frankly if I'm gonna queue up for an event, I'm gonna participate in said event.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

yes, you can; i've done it several times after getting hit by a galaxy antimatter spread​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

yes, you can; i've done it several times after getting hit by a galaxy antimatter spread​​

LOL I guess there is that.
    Also... I've actually gotten a Buff from Nebulas while close to a rift. The Tachyon Detection Grid they set off also hits the rift, and if you're close enough, it will chain to you as well, despite it coming from an enemy ship since the rift is considered friendly to you.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

O_o' I'm going to have to try that now....

But yeah Obisek's lance will take decent chunks out of the shield of the dread.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    This is what I've been seeing in the mirror event: Obisek's plasma lance easily one-shots frigates and other small ships. Boom! One shot. Dead. lol

If it's a bigger ship, like a command cruiser or whatever, one shot from that plasma lance with take down its shields and probably take a chunk out of its hull as well, so I can finish it off with some Beam Overload 3 and a barrage of photon torpedos.

So far I've yet to come across any AFKers, so I've been fortunate in that regard. I've always felt that if you're going to bother queuing up for an event, you might as well actually pull your own weight and participate and score more marks for closing rifts and powering defense relays. Ideally, you'd have sci ships closing rifts, eng ships powering up relays, and tac ships securing the area (i.e. killing things lol).
    Doesn't stop the AFKers though. I've been in a few where we had to 4 man it. A couple litteraly 4 manned because someone dropped entirely. A recent one we had a KDF Raptor that didn't bother doing ANYTHING for the first phase. Got killed by Terrans, didn't bother respawning. ONLY started moving when we hit phase 2 with the Dread. Kinda made me angry. Some times if I see an AFKer, I just wanna kite some Terrans over and dump them on the prick out of spite. >:)
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    If you actually play the "normal" queue like it matters, you can get more marks than if you play "advanced" with a pug that winds up not doing well or struggling.

Way less frustrating imho.
    I usually play normal anyways. I'm not hurting for marks, and I'm not interested in the challenge. Besides... Its not like I can get any more Rubidium or Z-Particles from doing Advanced over Normal anyways.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    The only time I would consider going into a swarm would be if you're confident in your tanking ability. Preferably in a Cruiser. Also... if you've got some support against that particular swarm, combo AP Beta and Beam: Fire at Will if you're running beams to smack the terran ships around a bit.

A high-end science ship can also annihilate swarms of Terrans with ease. Normally I toss either GW+DRB or CIF+SSV at groups, but a big group (~25+) I can run a full buff/ability combo at, and it leaves a 12km radius sphere of annihilation for a good ~20 seconds.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • necreliosis#4763 necreliosis Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    Seen the lance blow up a Command Cruiser earlier, so I can confirm its effectiveness against enemy ships. I was also AoE'ing everything at the time too though so I might have given it a little bit of help. It would be interesting to know just how much damage that thing is capable of.
    @jarvisandalfred this is so true. Run a science ship with max EPG or CtrlX and you can vacuum up 30+ ships in one go very easily and then smite them in one mammoth explosion of particle based death. Easily possible to wipe out half the ships on the map if your grav well is timed correctly.
    I love to play on advanced and let a good sized swarm buildup round the station then just go nuts with grav wells, resonance beam and subspace vortex, plus plenty of PEP torp spreads.
    SulMatuul.png
  • delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    i was in one yesterday where someone was AFK, so i reported that person to the GM. Honestly don't bother cueing up if all you are going to do is AFK from the game. You will get called out
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    @jarvisandalfred this is so true. Run a science ship with max EPG or CtrlX and you can vacuum up 30+ ships in one go very easily and then smite them in one mammoth explosion of particle based death. Easily possible to wipe out half the ships on the map if your grav well is timed correctly.
    I love to play on advanced and let a good sized swarm buildup round the station then just go nuts with grav wells, resonance beam and subspace vortex, plus plenty of PEP torp spreads.

Yup. Fleet Naut, ~350+ CtrlX, 600-700 EPG, +QSM, and it's just a thing of beauty. I don't intentionally build up swarms of ships, but if they do happen that's my preferred ship to be in. GW/SSV/DRB/CIF all can be hitting 20-40k/tic, so most things don't make it to the middle before exploding.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • ^ @rattler2: I've done that before too; I saw an AFKer who was clearly not interested in contributing and he was letting us get overwhelmed, so I kited a bunch of aggro over towards him. He got killed and didn't even bother respawning. Go figure. lol The rest of us still managed to get it done but it was a PITA because I was the only one with a T6 ship (the rest were new, inexperienced players with low-tier ships), so I had to carry the team. I don't mind helping new players, tho.
    Hehe...
    There is something satisfying about seeing an AFKer blow up.
    Hehe...

Totally this ^

I always try to haul a mob over to any AKF'er and ensure they get killed. It doesn't do anything apart from make me feel better but at least it might TRIBBLE them up if they are set to auto-loot I guess.
    SulMatuul.png
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Hehe...

Totally this ^

I always try to haul a mob over to any AKF'er and ensure they get killed. It doesn't do anything apart from make me feel better but at least it might **** them up if they are set to auto-loot I guess.

Yea... the simple pleasures in life eh?
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    Flying my Temporal Sci-Kor, I can clear entire QUADRANTS of the map using Gravity Well III + Scramble Sensors I + Torpedo Spread III + {guess... B)} and just letting the mosh pit popcorn themselves into allowing silence to reign after 15 seconds.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Hehe...

So true, it gets aggravating when AFKers don't do anything, I call it poetic justice pulling a mob over to them.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius