test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D printed copy of your own custom ship!

Comments

• jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Attack wing ships are what, around 3 inches...

Closer to half that.

I am kind of surprised that they did not do 'Attack Wing' sized ships given all of the promotions that they did for that game.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Wondering about the ST:Attack Wing. Images didn't show anything but the basic three Faction types. Haven't played it, so the cards might show other ships. Have to look into this. Maybe. later sometime.

They have a lot of expansion packs covering a huge number of ships. Click on the link at the bottom of the Attack Wing page, or this:

http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/expansions/
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    eaglemoss-star-trek-starships-featured.jpg

something like this?
    or this?

0oYVRlN.jpg

nikeix wrote: »
    Clearly, P.T. Barnum was talking about you folks. It's a hunk of plastic that they are using to open your wallet via your heart strings. Once you customize it to your personal features, it is no longer "quite as" collectable & likely only has real value to you.

Thank goodness I'd only be buying it for my own enjoyment and not some sort of investment.

And believe it or not, P.T. Barnum wasn't talking about all of human commerce. Really, I'm not sure what your objection is to other people being happy with their choices just because they aren't identical to your choices.

I never said he was referring to all of human commerce, only to you folks in this circumstance, especially the ones saying "shut up and take my money." The collectability aspect I mentioned was to emphasize what a HUGE waste it would be, particularly at the prices these same people were declaring they'd be willing to pay. At least collectors have some hope that their $300 toy will hold or increase in value. You all won't even have that going for you. I have no objection to any of it, but when you get one and it's a piece of garbage, I wonder if you will admit it to us here & cop to being fooled? Somehow I doubt it.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'd have to be unhappy with it to be fooled. I AM examining the images of their other wares and yes, the saucer sections have considerably more tree-ring patterning than I'm happy with and the painting is powdery around the edges for some effects in their other product lines. However some of the other structures come out acceptably well. Since I'm not a huge Federation ship fan in the first place, it may be less of a problem on the designs I'd be interested in. I'll keep that in mind as I decide what ships, if any, I'd buy when the prices are announced. I'm also quite curious that the info on their page describes the store as existing inside the game client when it goes live. I'm also not necessarily going to be looking at them from 14 inches away most days - glancing across the room to a shelf is a lot more forgiving of some of these flaws.

But the notion that reselling it is an essential part of the value proposition is NOT a big determinant for me - if I'm not happy with the transaction while I have it, the prospect of not having it anymore for some money back isn't going to make me more eager. I have thousands of dollars worth of magic cards in binders and that can be an entertaining conversation point when talking to other players, but that's not what I bought them for.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    nikeix wrote: »
    Clearly, P.T. Barnum was talking about you folks. It's a hunk of plastic that they are using to open your wallet via your heart strings. Once you customize it to your personal features, it is no longer "quite as" collectable & likely only has real value to you.

Thank goodness I'd only be buying it for my own enjoyment and not some sort of investment.

And believe it or not, P.T. Barnum wasn't talking about all of human commerce. Really, I'm not sure what your objection is to other people being happy with their choices just because they aren't identical to your choices.

I never said he was referring to all of human commerce, only to you folks in this circumstance, especially the ones saying "shut up and take my money." The collectability aspect I mentioned was to emphasize what a HUGE waste it would be, particularly at the prices these same people were declaring they'd be willing to pay. At least collectors have some hope that their $300 toy will hold or increase in value. You all won't even have that going for you. I have no objection to any of it, but when you get one and it's a piece of garbage, I wonder if you will admit it to us here & cop to being fooled? Somehow I doubt it.

Why does the happiness of other people make you so sad and angry? :#
    be6b91d1f5f83c2eb423ed56316710c7.jpg
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    The collectability aspect I mentioned was to emphasize what a HUGE waste it would be, particularly at the prices these same people were declaring they'd be willing to pay. At least collectors have some hope that their $300 toy will hold or increase in value. You all won't even have that going for you. I have no objection to any of it, but when you get one and it's a piece of garbage, I wonder if you will admit it to us here & cop to being fooled? Somehow I doubt it.

Money spent would be a waste if I didn't get what I expected to get, either generally or in quality or whatever. Since I don't expect anything of these figurines but to satisfy my need for enjoyment of ships (or possibly later captains) that remind me of the time I spent in STO. If I will buy any of these, I will consider the money gone. Sure, it may be a waste if I wasn't happy with the results. But resale value does not figure in at all, not even at .01%, in my decision whether or not I want to get one of these ships. Actually, what would give it a higher value due to your estimate (e. g. more generic tradeable items) would severely diminish the value for me. Actually to the point I wouldn't consider buying it at all. I am not interested in a generic Whatever-Class spaceship model, but I am interested in a Whatever-Class model with the name on it I chose, with the configuration I chose. Yes, the money will be gone, but I'll know that. And I may complain about quality if I weren't happy, but I would not complain about the thing I bought having no value at all. Except it would to me.

In a way I even see where you're coming from. I love me some Scotch single malts. Yes, expensive ones, too. And I always feel this slight shudder when I read that somebody bought a very rare bottle and actually drank the stuff. As in $1000 gone. A very rare bottle gone forever. (Most expensive I ever had was around €250 off distillery) But those people know that they will never get their money back, and are just enjoying what they're having. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    stop trolling. nobody said everything should be free, or only cost $1. the community has pretty much accepted that we are paying $30 per ship. it is only when cryptic goes beyond that, like sticking both connies in gambling boxes that people start talking about "cash grabs". so dont troll and pretend people said everything should be free or only $1 when nobody even said that.

You didn't, agreed, but other people in other threads did something along those lines (the $1 was hyperbole). I have read on these very forums how things should be free because we are all loyal players who were around for years and now the company should have made enough money and give back to their player base.

But as for "cash grabs": yes, there can be some. I think of a certain company selling a certain product for people suffering from allergies. But in general, companies do exist to provide a good or service people will pay for, so they can grab cash. And if sticking the connies into boxes will get them more cash, that's what a company does. (I expect there to be some stuff apart from plain monetary issues in the background, but I don't know). Anybody who finds that objectionable should probably reconsider doing business here at all. And yes, any game like this does include stuff hardly anybody will get but many will want. That's how you keep a small part of your customer base which however pays a lot of your income happy. And even before that there's the plain maths: in which way will I get more money out of the stuff I have to offer? Did they choose correctly under that viewpoint? I don't know. But it is a very valid question to ask yourself.

Hardly any business is doing their job to make other people happy. They're trying to grab as much money as they can. A very important part of that is - in most cases - making customers happy. But it isn't the only part. And it isn't the goal they're pursuing. And if they're not in the business of providing necessary commodities like food or infrastructure or medical stuff, that's what we have to live with. "Cash grab" is just an expression to say "they want money, I don't wanna pay that much money" (which is an okay feeling) in a way that somehow tries to demonize the other side without any argument to back it up. And I still don't see any. Sorry to revert to clichés, but a business happens when two people agree on what should be traded for what. If they don't agree, nobody is morally in the wrong (exceptions proving the rule include necessary infrastructure, see above, or exploiting a monopoly, which isn't really the case here, unless you count "Star Trek themed MMO" as a whole economic sector)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I really hope this makes them go back and look at the launch era models and fix them. I'd love to get a printed out Sovereign but I'm not wasting 30 quid (excluding shipping I'd imagine) on the model ingame currently.​​

by the way where is the t6 sovereign?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Why does the happiness of other people make you so sad and angry? :#

I didn't realize having a conversation would trigger you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jBSQRJzuQ
    edited September 2016
    sry... having trouble finding the humor in Nickodaemus's video.
    At what point is tormenting a cat supposed to be funny?
    You know, in most parts of the US, there are laws against even something as minor as this. After all, the moron with the camera could loose an eye (and deserve it).

= -.- =
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    sry... having trouble finding the humor in Nickodaemus's video.
    At what point is tormenting a cat supposed to be funny?
    You know, in most parts of the US, there are laws against even something as minor as this. After all, the moron with the camera could loose an eye (and deserve it).

= -.- =

Do you even own a cat? Or read laws? Because your post is full of generalizations, assumptions & outright lies.
    edited September 2016
    I have several cats.
    I've had several different types of animals at one time or another.
    I've also worked with all kinds of different animals, as well on family farms and business farms.
    I've worked for Animal Control and several different Veterinarians.
    I've dealt with the law side of animal cruelty cases.

That vid is minor animal cruelty. plain and simple.

There's nothing 'funny' about it.

The worst part is you believe that's worth a laugh.

A person caught doing this type of thing repeatedly may not only loose their pets (all of them), but are usually fined around $500 per animal, not counting jail time (which is up to the Judge during the hearing).

I'd rather be discussing ships. but you put that garbage in front of me.

So get your facts straight, and look into what you're calling "Generalizations, assumptions, and outright lies". Read your own laws, since you seem to be ignorant of them if you're in the US.
    You can say whatever you like, and we'll never know if it's true or not. I do not know anyone with any sense that would even consider making a case with that as the only evidence.
    Do you own a computer? Then you have an IP address. Very easy to trace and often is.

All I said was that's animal cruelty, not humor. then I stated my credents. You ran your mouth afterward.

As said, I'd rather discuss ships. THis IS a ship thread.
    You can say whatever you like, and we'll never know if it's true or not. I do not know anyone with any sense that would even consider making a case with that as the only evidence.

You should visit california than. And no, there was nothing funny about that video. Seriously how lame that video is should be a jailable crime. Nevermind the animal cruelty aspect...but whoever thought that video was funny should be removed from the gene pool.

agreed.

and I'm done with this thread until someone else says something worthwhile... Sad. I hate to see great threads die like this.

:'(
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User

I don't know...my scimmy is pretty big. I think the valdore models are 3 inches across at least.

A lot of them are around an inch and a half or so. Oh, some of them are big, sure. Have you seen that Borg Cube? Man. You could easy just use the old toy of the Cube and it'd be about the same size.

Still, they are not the size of some of the ships from the 'Star Wars' game, though. Some of those are the play map with the models being the bridge and some turrets.

Anyway, the point was that I would totally buy some 'Attack Wing' sized replicas. Grab some duplicate Cards. Remove the data with a pencil eraser. Add in appropriate Stat Numbers. Yeah, I'd get some good use out of those.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It looks fine enough for me. I'd either pick the Risan Luxury Cruiser (wings closed, of course), my custom Constitution, the Pioneer class, Constellation Class, or Ranger class.

Back when the Risian Cruiser was the anniversary ship I thought it was silly and didn't get it. Today I wish I had. No real idea which character could use it, but I just regret not having participated (I could have, chose not to). The Corvette I don't mind, though pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • livefire11livefire11 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I have been thinking this would be a good idea for game companies to do for a while now. I am so going to get models of my Elachi, T6 Scimatar and JemHadar ships. I really hope they do avatars in the future as well, we have so much customization in this game it will be amazing. Here comes $100s of dollars for awesome high detail models to go on a shelf just like on the shows:)!
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »
    Mm. While interesting, I have no use for a twelve inch ship. Now, if they made them in the proper size to be used with 'Attack Wing'...

-insert gag about a certain Voth player ship here-

(Sorry, had to do it)​​
    edited September 2016
    burstorion wrote: »

(Sorry, had to do it)

Seeing the bulwark causes a funny feeling in my hindquarter pig-47.gifpig-37.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    We can get that fixed you know. dino1-19.gif

I could. "We" certainly can't. pig-47.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    jslyn wrote: »
    Mm. While interesting, I have no use for a twelve inch ship. Now, if they made them in the proper size to be used with 'Attack Wing'...

(Sorry, had to do it)

now i hope cryptic makes that one of the ships they won't allow that company to print...because you KNOW someone's going to buy it purely for use as a makeshift sex toy at that size​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Well this has suddenly got predictable pig-2.gif. You know there's no challenge with a Bulwark or Atrox. I sudgest printing a Khnial or a Llaihr pig-6.gif.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if someone can manage to get either of those ships inside them without requiring subsequent hospitalization, i applaud them - they have bowels of steel​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.