test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D printed copy of your own custom ship!

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am not happy with this, not at all. I mean, there are tons of bugs in game right now, tons of them. There should not be one single person in their office that has the time, not even a couple minutes a day, to coordinate this. And here you all are, taking a break yourselves from asking them to fix their numerous bugs, to cheer them on, for what? A toy? Come one people, where is your sense?

I am not even one who usually complains about bugs either, just that two months ago they introduced some new content and broke as many things as they introduced, things that were not broken previously. Honestly here, I have played indie games that perform and play better than this old tin can.
    I dunno, there are also tons of bugs in the game that I am okay with if they stay in if means I get some nice feature. And getting a 3D model of one of my ships send to home might be such a feature. Depending on the price, but I know that even if the price ends up too high for me, others might still take it, and I won't begrudge them their fun.

A bug free game is worthless. No one actually needs that. It just has to run smoothly enough most of the time for most of the people so that it can be played and the fun it offers is accessible.

I just wish people would forget this TRIBBLE notion that there are bug-free games out of there or that any game company in the entire world is even actively trying to make a completely bug-free game, or that they should do that.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    @pwlaughingtrendy I don't know if this has been asked since I don't have the time to scroll through the entire thread. But would it possible to 3D print a copy of a player character?​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• dmensionhatrossdmensionhatross Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    I really liked the idea at first, but than i found this article from thetrekcollective.com, especially this image Eucl3D%2BStar%2BTrek%2BOnline%2B3D%2Bprinted%2Bship%2B11.jpg

I must say that i'm really not impressed by the quality of the Print. Especially on the saucer it's way too rough :(
    Most likely i won't buy one at this quality even if it would cost only 30$, which i doubt it would

That's disappointing. It looks as though it has a sandpaper trim :(

Would the quality of 3D printer account for something like this?

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I really liked the idea at first, but than i found this article from thetrekcollective.com, especially this image Eucl3D%2BStar%2BTrek%2BOnline%2B3D%2Bprinted%2Bship%2B11.jpg

I must say that i'm really not impressed by the quality of the Print. Especially on the saucer it's way too rough :(
    Most likely i won't buy one at this quality even if it would cost only 30$, which i doubt it would

This looks like it's made of Marzipan and sitting on top of a STO cake. Yummy! pig-2.gifpig-25.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This would look amazing next to the figure print of my WoW character I was planning to get ...

giphy.gif
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

That's disappointing. It looks as though it has a sandpaper trim :(

Would the quality of 3D printer account for something like this?

I think it's more indicative of the material 3D printers use, rather than the quality of the 3D printer itself.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    Man... So in the future, I'll be buying virtuals ships in the C-Store, and then physical ship models. I believe this will not work with my already generous gaming budget at all. :p And that's not even accounting for the required shelf space.

But maybe I could acquire one or two models... for Christmas and Birthday perhaps...

Nah. In the future, we'll be buy ship PARTS and BUILDING our own spacecraft.

FYI: They already do this in the Private Sector where it took over from what's left of NASA - just not for videogames. You can 3D print in Wax/Plastic (public sector), Metal (Military/Space/Automotive/a few others), Flesh (Medical Research), and some other materials.
    edited September 2016

Yep. THAT is unfortunately an unfinished 3D multi-color print. Right out of the machine. still needs several levels of work.

Wonder what music that 'record' plays? ;)
    edited September 2016
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Now, if they did Captains (or even better: a whole away team set), then I may have to skip lunch for a few days (metaphorically speaking) to gather the money. Especially since I'll not only get increased shipping costs but also a hefty VAT.

It's in trying to do multi-color 3D printed Figurines that the errors become very visible. An eye out of place. A mouth that bleed off to the left... etc. Best thing for Figurines is to do a solid print and sell it as a paintable model, with or without decals. Just like you'd see in a Model Shop.

Otherwise, it's cheaper and ends up with a much better product to just go the route of partnering with a Model company or a toy manufacturer, who know what they're doing.

What they're showing makes me think - and I could be off with this - that they have someone on staff who dabbles in 3D printing at home and is trying to recoup his cost for blowing a wad of 5k dollars on something he could have built out of Legos.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

This looks like it's made of Marzipan and sitting on top of a STO cake. Yummy! pig-2.gifpig-25.gif​​

It looks fine enough for me. I'd either pick the Risan Luxury Cruiser (wings closed, of course), my custom Constitution, the Pioneer class, Constellation Class, or Ranger class.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    I am not happy with this, not at all. I mean, there are tons of bugs in game right now, tons of them. There should not be one single person in their office that has the time, not even a couple minutes a day, to coordinate this. And here you all are, taking a break yourselves from asking them to fix their numerous bugs, to cheer them on, for what? A toy? Come one people, where is your sense?

I am not even one who usually complains about bugs either, just that two months ago they introduced some new content and broke as many things as they introduced, things that were not broken previously. Honestly here, I have played indie games that perform and play better than this old tin can.

• chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User

CtOlykv.gif
    SP9Pu.gif
    Somebody should 3D print their golden Nagus Marauder and post the pic to the forums.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Here are a few ships I would like to see printed:
    64c1a4d307115318dcdf25affb10236a1387428901.jpg

cstore_news_050212_STO_CaitianCarrier.png

67aaa38d71eec7087d2dd2e6794cbac11401908299.png

037c2c91-2c21-4531-9cf0-ee6cc741168d.jpg

b1c9db4faf0741912fb625dc16db6e8b1392835804.jpg

9lavfhx.jpg
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
    edited September 2016
    I'm kind of curious on how they print the Vonph Carrier Dreadnought.

UlY4Rd9.png​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    velqua wrote: »
    Here are a few ships I would like to see printed:
    64c1a4d307115318dcdf25affb10236a1387428901.jpg

cstore_news_050212_STO_CaitianCarrier.png

67aaa38d71eec7087d2dd2e6794cbac11401908299.png

037c2c91-2c21-4531-9cf0-ee6cc741168d.jpg

b1c9db4faf0741912fb625dc16db6e8b1392835804.jpg

9lavfhx.jpg

I'm sold on the Risan Luxury cruiser, as I mention before, but with wings closed, since the sails would be so brittle, I bet, they'd be crumbled upon arrived in the mailbox o.O;;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    It's in trying to do multi-color 3D printed Figurines that the errors become very visible. An eye out of place. A mouth that bleed off to the left... etc. Best thing for Figurines is to do a solid print and sell it as a paintable model, with or without decals. Just like you'd see in a Model Shop.

Would of course depend on the size of your figurines. Classic table-top like men wouldn't work, agreed. 6 inches would look differently - but obviously would still have major struggles with minor details. 12 inches would again cost 100 bucks (randomly generated number) per character, so 500 per away team, across all my toons... well, I wouldn't buy that.
    Otherwise, it's cheaper and ends up with a much better product to just go the route of partnering with a Model company or a toy manufacturer, who know what they're doing.

Only that that would take away the individuality from your model. I don't want a random Vulcan, I want my captain. With my uniform. And beware if he's alien...
    What they're showing makes me think - and I could be off with this - that they have someone on staff who dabbles in 3D printing at home and is trying to recoup his cost for blowing a wad of 5k dollars on something he could have built out of Legos.

Actually, nope. As you can see from the article, Cryptic doesn't make this. They went the route of partnering with a toy manufacturer (Eucl3D) who do this for them.
    even if cryptic tries to do another cash grab with exorbitant prices

Not to comment on possible prices or every single thing Cryptic did here, but I think "cash grab" really belongs on the "censored" list. All these people expecting Cryptic to continue releasing new content, hunting bugs, but not in the least offer anything to sell, and if, then only at some non-important price like 1$ "for some pixels" make me wonder if schools aren't failing to teach what a "company" is and what "work" means (beyond getting your paycheck).

I work in the administration of an institution that, apart from organizing its own research, manages other research infrastructures. If anything breaks down, that costs SERIOUS money and is massively inconvenient. Still people are very happy with me not repairing stuff but instead staying in my office and administering how nothing works. Because I would have no freaking clue what to do. Could break some more stuff, I think that'd be within my particular set of skills.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    Here is the problem with 3D multi-color figurines:

3-dans-1.jpg
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Mm. While interesting, I have no use for a twelve inch ship. Now, if they made them in the proper size to be used with 'Attack Wing'...
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

This just doesn't make any sense at all.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    heh STO could make their own 'attack wing' game and we could throw our ships at one another.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    thay8472 wrote: »
    heh STO could make their own 'attack wing' game and we could throw our ships at one another.

o.O
    ~hides her ships~ ;>_>
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Considering the intelligence level of the average person I see in STO they'd probably choke to death on their ship after mistaking it for food.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    iconians wrote: »

Considering the intelligence level of the average person I see in STO they'd probably choke to death on their ship after mistaking it for food.​​

I was going to say lose an eye ~pictures a player with a Vengeance stuck in his or her socket~ o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited September 2016
    Actually, nope. As you can see from the article, Cryptic doesn't make this. They went the route of partnering with a toy manufacturer (Eucl3D) who do this for them.

I actually missed that part of the article. :P
    I work in the administration of an institution that, apart from organizing its own research, manages other research infrastructures. If anything breaks down, that costs SERIOUS money and is massively inconvenient. Still people are very happy with me not repairing stuff but instead staying in my office and administering how nothing works. Because I would have no freaking clue what to do. Could break some more stuff, I think that'd be within my particular set of skills.

love it! >:)
    edited September 2016
    I started looking for some of the little shown Federation 'Military' Assault shuttles, but found a few other things. I'll list them here. Enjoy or ignore as you please. Didn't want to fill up the thread with these, so just put the urls.

I was also looking for similar stuff to the 3D Printed ships they're doing. Got mixed info - but no print-ships.

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/star-trek-official-starships-collection.html
    http://www.inverse.com/article/17583-star-trek-beyond-s-new-ship-revelation-connects-to-hardcore-trek-continuity
    http://www.damngeeky.com/2013/06/10/11880/homemade-soapbox-starship-steals-the-show-at-star-trek-into-the-darkness-2013-premiere.html

most of the shuttles I was looking for during another thread:
    www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/starfleet_shuttles.htm

*deleted a couple of things, since the urls wouldn't work*
    you'll get some neat things searching for Star Trek Steampunk, too.

but this is a cross-thread to the original subject. (although I'd love to see some of it in the game.) B)
    As it is, I'd like to see all of the Shuttles come to STO. And the Fed military crafts. (still can't find the film or whatever that had those in it)